[Mage] A Bad Really Needs Your Help

I'm pretty disgusted with my overall damage. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to call me out on anything.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...u9q/details/8/

Thanks very much,
    Karnie

Deleted
    Dps isnt THAT bad.

However, this is bad : Rune of Power 109 1924.0 37.7 %
    Nether Tempest uptime is low, almost never over 50%, sometimes as low as 30%, it should not happen.

Your problem is already right there, i didnt even watch your rotation. I agree that fight can be a pain , but just looking at my latest logs, I had double uptime. And I remember I had butloads of tornado on this try, so you should already focus on RoP uptime.

Also, too much barrage. The only time when you should use barrage is when using the alter time rotation. And maybe when fleeing to the other side @ 11%.

Another question, how and when do you use Alter time ? Your rotation and moment to pop it seems weird on WoL. Alter time is a very key cooldown, its important to know you to use it at its maximum potential.

I also see almost no scorch, can you explain to us how/when you use it, and how you are managing your mana ?

TLDR : Work on your RoP and Nether Tempest uptime, just with those 2 things, you should expect a big bump in dps.

Hope it'll be of help to you .

Quote Originally Posted by Eihwaz View Post
    Dps isnt THAT bad.

However, this is bad : Rune of Power 109 1924.0 37.7 %
    Nether Tempest uptime is low, almost never over 50%, sometimes as low as 30%, it should not happen.

Your problem is already right there, i didnt even watch your rotation. I agree that fight can be a pain , but just looking at my latest logs, I had double uptime. And I remember I had butloads of tornado on this try, so you should already focus on RoP uptime.

Also, too much barrage. The only time when you should use barrage is when using the alter time rotation. And maybe when fleeing to the other side @ 11%.

Another question, how and when do you use Alter time ? Your rotation and moment to pop it seems weird on WoL. Alter time is a very key cooldown, its important to know you to use it at its maximum potential.

I also see almost no scorch, can you explain to us how/when you use it, and how you are managing your mana ?

TLDR : Work on your RoP and Nether Tempest uptime, just with those 2 things, you should expect a big bump in dps.

Hope it'll be of help to you .
    Mana management:
    1. I use a gem whenever I'll get the full benefit
    2. I use AM when I have 2 or when or if above 90%
    3. Around 85% I use scorch, unless AM is up

NT:
    I have no idea how it could be that low. It's my highest priority.

TW:
    I use at the beginning of the fight and I try ever time on Cd.. I do find myself getting interrupted.

Barrage:
    As far I know, I only use it with TW.

Deleted
    I'll tell you how I play my mage, i'm not saying its the best way, or that i'm better than you, but it's been doing wonder for me so.. Maybe you could try some of it.

Alter time :
    Most of the fights, you should use it two times (and pray to the RNG god for procs).
    One at the start of the fight, when everything has procced (trinkets, enchants, etc..), and one at the end (during bloodlust).
    You have to be at 6 stacks, and have 2 AM procs.

The way I do it, I keep an eye of my trinkets and enchants, try to keep my AM procs, when I have everything, I hit my macro (Arcane Power, Alter Time, Engineer enchant, Arcane missiles), use you 2nd AM proc, AB > Abar.
    So : Macro > AM > AM > ABlast > Abarr (Alter time procs) AM > AM Ablast > Continue with usual rotation. (if essence of terror procs I can slip a second AB there, when bloodlust, I can usually slip a 3rd one)

Mana management:
    1. I use a gem whenever I'll get the full benefit
    2. I use AM when I have 2 or when or if above 90%
    3. Around 85% I use scorch, unless AM is up
    AM should be used whenever it procs, I think its the best dps per execution time we have, higher priority than Arcane blast, and it doesnt cost mana, so yay !

I keep mana gem (glyphed) when bad luck on procs, or after alter time to be able to continue to AB without loosing too much mana.

NT is REALLY important, always keep an eye on it.

Use mirror image on CD, if I remember correctly, its one of the best, if not the best damage for 1 GCD we have.

Always be standing on your rune of power, if you have to move, use scorch or Arcane Explosion if you're about to loose stacks. Another great tip : Stacks are refreshed when you STOP casting arcane missiles. Than means if you are too far from the boss to AE and have a AM proc, cast it, then move, and you wont loose your stacks.

My gear is pretty similar as yours, and we're running the same spec, so do not hesitate if you have any questions.

What I read somewhere and cannot confirm is:
    If AM proc = 1 & mana > 95% then AB
    If AM proc = 1 & mana < 95% then AM
    If AM proc = 2 then cast AM
    Using the second AM in a row when mana is ~100% is a waste of mana regen
    But not casting AM when proc = 2 would be DPS loss
    -
    Also, didn’t I read that Mirror Image is a DPS loss if not used as the boss is being pulled?

Opinions? Am I totally confused?

Deleted
    It is a mana regen loss, but seems a dps gain, so. They way some explain it, is while it is a mana regen loss, AM is our biggest dps, so, using it while @ 100% mana is better than using AB.

Anyway, i'm sure that isnt the problem, this isnt gonna make you gain 20K dps .

Did you go through this topic : http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...Mage-PvE-Guide ?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eihwaz View Post
    Alter time :
    Most of the fights, you should use it two times (and pray to the RNG god for procs).
    One at the start of the fight, when everything has procced (trinkets, enchants, etc..), and one at the end (during bloodlust).
    You have to be at 6 stacks, and have 2 AM procs.

The way I do it, I keep an eye of my trinkets and enchants, try to keep my AM procs, when I have everything, I hit my macro (Arcane Power, Alter Time, Engineer enchant, Arcane missiles), use you 2nd AM proc, AB > Abar.
    So : Macro > AM > AM > ABlast > Abarr (Alter time procs) AM > AM Ablast > Continue with usual rotation. (if essence of terror procs I can slip a second AB there, when bloodlust, I can usually slip a 3rd one)
    Just to add to this rotation for burst (which is pretty much the same as mine), if you use the Glyph of Loose Mana and use your mana gem before Alter Time, then you'll get it for another six seconds after Alter Time expires, allowing you to spam Arcane Blast while maintaining your mana (just to make the most of your remaining Arcane Power). So after Alter Time expires, I usually spam a few AB while regaining mana from the gem, then alternate AB with the two AM procs you will have from Alter Time. By then your Arcane Power will expire. Your macro should look something like this:

/use Mana Gem (or /use Brilliant Mana Gem, depending on your glyphs)
    /cast Arcane Power
    /cast Alter Time
    /cast Arcane Missiles

You'll need an add-on like Need To Know to track your Alter Time, Mana Gem and Arcane Power duration to really make the most of it, though.

Also, regards

Also, didn’t I read that Mirror Image is a DPS loss if not used as the boss is being pulled?

Opinions? Am I totally confused?
    Mirror Image triggers a global cooldown, so if you don't use it as the boss is being pulled you're wasting time that could be spent casting Arcane Blast to get your six stacks ASAP.
    Last edited by mmocca6d906029; 2013-01-20 at 03:46 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    And the value of Mirror Image is that it's not a direct damage spell so it can't prematurely trigger your weapon enchant and trinket procs. Mirror Images last time I checked also receive the benefit of your buffs on each cast (not sure if they changed this). My prepull is RoP, MI and Potion of the Jade Serpent, then DoT and then start casting, your Mirrors will all be still up for the full duration of your procs and Arcane Power.

Deleted
    The main problem seems to be your buff uptime. Not only RoP needs to be much higher, but you should only accept nether tempest at 95%+ (atleats on p1). I reach 99% often. Another thing is that you seem to loose your arcane charges a lot. Try to time a arcane explosion just as he comes out of unseen strike to retain your 6 stacks.
    You will probably improve a lot with an addon to help you track this. Try arcanometer or weakauras.

You also seem to slack on raidbuffs and flask/food.

I can also recommend resgemming for mastery, or atleast trying it out. Remember that you need to adjust your playstyle a little to stay over 90% mana.
    Last edited by mmoc129ab2e3e0; 2013-01-20 at 04:45 PM.

I wouldn't go the mastery route unless your gear is i500 or better. Haste is also more forgiving.