1. #1

    Gem PvP Power or Resil for Ret currently?

    Hey guys!

    With the current state of ret, and our healing balls essecially being removed. What do you guys feel is better for pvp/competative pvp atm, pvp power or resil? I know when MoP first came out straight pvp power or hybrid gems were amazing and thats how currently I'm still gem'd. But was curious for now if it would be more beneficial to go resil for some slight more survivability. Granted I know our survivability and sustain both are in a pretty bad spot, so trying to go from power to resil might help me live a tad longer but hurt even less outside of c/ds and curious what you guys think on the trade off!

  2. #2

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by Kied View Post
    Hey guys!

    With the current state of ret, and our healing balls essecially being removed. What do you guys feel is better for pvp/competative pvp atm, pvp power or resil? I know when MoP first came out straight pvp power or hybrid gems were amazing and thats how currently I'm still gem'd. But was curious for now if it would be more beneficial to go resil for some slight more survivability. Granted I know our survivability and sustain both are in a pretty bad spot, so trying to go from power to resil might help me live a tad longer but hurt even less outside of c/ds and curious what you guys think on the trade off!
    Well, i dont really like to go from pvp power to resi but atm you should stack resi. and with the 25% healing from pvp power in 5.2 i would go with pvp power

  3. #3
    Mechagnome BloodGutter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Dubai, UAE
    Posts
    616
    Yup most top Rets are going for a resilience focused set up. PVP power isn't too great for us atm. Might change next patch.

  4. #4
    High Overlord
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    137
    Taken from Vanguards on AJ -

    "There's a common misconception that PvP Power negates Resilience. This actually isn't true because Resilience is factored in after PvP Power in a sense. Lets say a Frostbomb hits for 100,000. With 50% PvP Power it hits for 150,000. However, if a person has 50% Resilience, it would hit for 75,000 in the end.

    Now lets pretend the Mage gemmed more PvP Power and the target gemmed more resilience. The PvP Power became roughly 60%. The Resilience became 55%.
    Frost Bomb not hits for 160,000, but with 55% Resilience it hits for 72,000. This is not the exact PvP Power to Resilience scale; but that should give you the picture that Resilience = generally more damage reduction than PvP Power's increased damage point to point with full PvP Gear.

    edit: In the end you can't just go one way or the other for everyone. If you play a class like Enhance Shamans, gemming Resilience is probably smart since they get trained over half the time. If you play a class like Warriors, it's probably good to use PvP Power against non-Casters and Rogues.

    If you have enough conquest points it's probably best to have 2 sets ready. Wear the set depending on if the team is going to hit you or not. However with the upgrading gear factored in this season it's going to be a lot harder to do this."

    Resilience is safer all around and why I personally lean towards it on my warrior. To each his own though.

    http://www.wow-heroes.com/character/...l/Deviltheory/
    “We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.” - Plato
    http://www.twitch.tv/seanmphoward / http://www.youtube.com/user/ASoulByondRepair/videos

  5. #5
    67-68% resi / 49-50% power seems to be what most dps go for.
    I would not get alot of power to compliment your damage.
    Ret is bursty so having higher resi and relying on proc/on use trinket (both for human) + engi gloves
    during your burst should benefit you more.
    If the damage is still lacking you could go engi + tailor (you would lose out on 640 resi or power from bs) but engi/tailor is by far the highest burst professions.

  6. #6
    Every class goes full resi every gem - some pure resi, most resi+x, so for ret: resil, str_resil, pvp power+resil.

  7. #7
    Most people seem to be going resil. And for higher rated pvp it makes sense. However, I have recently gone back to using more Pvp power and it seems to work a bit better for me.

    The way I look at it is either way Ret is going to get focused. A little more resil isn't going to change the fact that training a Ret paladin is almost always the best way to go. At least with the extra pvp power I can put out much more damage and keep up more pressure.

    In 5.2 Pvp power will definitely be the way to go seeing as how we will get 25% of it as healing.

  8. #8
    With Healing increased by our pvp power next patch, its def pvp power.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Vathius View Post
    With Healing increased by our pvp power next patch, its def pvp power.
    I don't know about that. You can't heal while you're stunned or silenced and that has to be taken into consideration.

  10. #10
    Currently Resil for sure, after the next patch you can probably have some resil and some pvp power. It should be a good balance when we get 25% healing back.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Reith View Post
    I don't know about that. You can't heal while you're stunned or silenced and that has to be taken into consideration.
    true... hadnt thought of that , well hopefully if they fix cc then we wont be cc'd so much? wishful thinking. yes I know ><

    perhaps holy is better to spec resil, and pvp power for ret?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •