Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

10man Heroic Tier 6 Holy Paladin question.

So I am curious if Holy Prism or is Light's Hammer better for healing? in constant AoE healing, and burst AoE. Which will be used in their max performance?

So I came here expecting a lvl 70 twink asking how to do 10m black temple... hah

Quote Originally Posted by Dairyking101 View Post
    So I am curious if Holy Prism or is Light's Hammer better for healing? in constant AoE healing, and burst AoE. Which will be used in their max performance?
    Both are good in places. If you want "max performance" then you need to learn which to use when instead of just hoping someone will tell you the cookie cutter so you can set it and forget it.
    Humans are the only species on the planet smart enough to be this stupid.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumash View Post
    So I came here expecting a lvl 70 twink asking how to do 10m black temple... hah
    Likewise lool.

Light's Hammer is more for "oh shit that's a lot of damage inc" sort of phase and Holy Prism is pretty shit for everyone except PvPers.

Deleted
    I'm pretty sure lights hammeri s best for heavy burst periods such as feng hc. whereas holy prism will be better for fights such as SK H where it's small periods of light burst

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Helai View Post
    Likewise lool.

Light's Hammer is more for "oh shit that's a lot of damage inc" sort of phase and Holy Prism is pretty shit for everyone except PvPers.
    As a holy paladin i can tell you that holy prism does MIRACLES in the platform phase in Sha of Fear.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on the encounter, I go with Light's Hammer for elegon hc to make the last phase even easier, due to the fact everyone is all nicely clumped up same with Feng HC too.

Holy prism is my choice on Blade Lord HC and Wind Lord HC due to the fact its an instant smart heal, so when rain of blades start is nice to pop that on the boss and all the melee/tanks gets topped up nicely and on blade lord its awesome just after an Unseen strike to top players off.

So just depends on the encounter, if people won't be stacking and taking aoe damage at any point then lights hammer isn't as good

For me I use Holy Prism on the following heroic encounters:

-Stone Guard
    -Spirit Kings
    -Blade Lord
    -Wind Lord

I use Light's Hammer on the following heroic encounters:

-Feng
    -Gara'jal
    -Elegon
    -Will
    Last edited by Hypasonic; 2013-01-20 at 01:48 PM.

I have found light's hammer to be useful when there is AoE for more than a few seconds and a majority of the raid can be within the hammer's radius (e.g. Feng, WotE, Garalon). Holy Prism is more effective where there is a short burst of aoe (e.g. blade lord). On heroic blade lord you can target him while he is still invisible so you can get a 250k aoe heal while everyone is being knocked back by unseen strike.

I find myself changing my tier 60/75/90 talents nearly every fight in 10 man.

Likewise lool.

Have you ever actually used holy prism in a raid setting to try it? Before it was fixed to perferring player targets over pets, I would agree with you. Now it is extremely useful on several fights. Light's Hammer is strong if your group can stack up for the healing, but if you are in a spread out arrangement, like Wind Lord for example, its relatively weak in 10's. Those are the spots where prism really performs well.

Deleted
    Likewise lool.

dat troll /10char

Infracted. ~Fhi
    Last edited by Fhi; 2013-01-21 at 06:55 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I believe that all 3 talents have their place in raids. For example, if you were having trouble killing something in a set time, like Gara'jal, you would want to go for Execution Sentence to try and help DPS, or even help heal yourself when a healer is in the spirit world. When it comes between Light's Hammer and Holy Prism, it will be on your call to decide if you want constant burst damage/heals, or a steady flow for some time along with a larger CD. One example of when to choose Light's Hammer over Holy Prism, is if you are doing normal Sha of Fear, or Heroic if you're up there, and your group decides to stay in for Death's Blossom, throwing down that Hammer will give a nice steady flow of healing to everyone to smooth it out a bit. Even if you were doing a boss similar to Ultraxion, where there is a steady flow of incoming damage, Light's Hammer would be a great choice. I prefer having Light's Hammer almost all of the time because it can be used like Consecration, where you would put it outside of your melee range to pick up something far away, or have a constant tick to grab a flow of adds.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Divine Favorite View Post
    dat troll /10char

Infracted. ~Fhi
    Far from trolling. Every PvPer Paladin I have met has Holy Prism.

10+ Year Old Account
    Far from trolling. Every PvPer Paladin I have met has Holy Prism.
    That's true. When doing PvP on my Paladin I opt in to use Holy Prism even as Retribution.
    When you're mainly healing tanks, and not too much raid burst, then use Holy Prism. When heavy AoE damage, opt in for Light's Hammer. It's useful on most fights though so you shouldn't be changing a whole lot.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunflora View Post
    That's true. When doing PvP on my Paladin I opt in to use Holy Prism even as Retribution.
    When you're mainly healing tanks, and not too much raid burst, then use Holy Prism. When heavy AoE damage, opt in for Light's Hammer. It's useful on most fights though so you shouldn't be changing a whole lot.
    This is exactly what I said and apparently I'm a troll. Oh well.

This is exactly what I said and apparently I'm a troll. Oh well.
    your exact words were that Prism is pretty shit for everything except pvpers. Well, heroic Blade Lord Tayak unseen strike says hi to name one. It's a smart heal now that prefers (injured) players, that's not shit, thats situational, but you could say lights hammer is situational aswell, as holy it strongly differs per fight, and OP is asking as holy, not as prot or ret.
    Lilaith, resident flamer for Winterfall, holy moderator in Hammer of Wrath.
    Discord: Lilaith#9028
    Bnet: Lilaith#2476

10+ Year Old Account
    There are fights that Holy Prism is good and fights where Light's Hammer is good. I prefer Holy Prism for the shorter CD and the flexibility to choose between the single-target heal (which is really strong) and the AoE heal (which is also really strong). Light's Hammer is good in certain places: Feng, Gara'jal, Spirit Kings, Elegon, Garalon, last phase of Amber Shaper and Empress.

Prism used to be totally worthless back when whatever abominable code it used to choose targets made all its healing go to waste.

Nowadays, prism used on cooldown will heal about as much as light's hammer used on cooldown (or a little more); prism has an advantage since it scales with mastery, unlike light's hammer.

It does cost a few more GCDs, and will net a loss of almost 10k mana a minute, unlike light's hammer which is free. It's also disadvantageous in that it's pretty much worthless unless you can bounce from something to a sufficient amount of targets, which not every fight facilitates - it's also not "really strong" as a single-target heal; at that point it goes from equal to LH, to not even close to in the same ballpark. You'd get more single-target healing out of throwing a light's hammer at them.

Gotta remember that none of these abilities are free. Using prism to single-target heal means that we don't get to use it to aoe heal, or light's hammer to do anything at all, so we can't just look at it as an instant cast 20 sec CD 80k heal and say that it's "really strong", because the alternative was an instant cast 20 sec CD 265k 5-target heal, or an instant cast 1 min CD 750k aoe heal.

Personally I probably use light's hammer too much. It's an extremely strong fire-and-forget heal that does a ton of healing to your melee/ranged camp and your beaconed target for its duration, but prism would probably be a stronger heal long-term if used properly on a lot of encounters. Long-term often matters less than right now, though, as a healer.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

Not bothering to read a lot of people slag holy prism off, but its brilliant, i use to think it was crap and the execution sentence and lights hammer were the only good two (speaking about both tank and holy). I tested holy prism though and got amazing 100k+ self heals as prot pally on such a low cd, helped with soloing a ton, then when i used it as a healer in both pvp and pve it out played lights hammer. Just target the boss and use holy prism for an aoe heal + decent hit on boss, do it after afew ticks of aoe or something so there is no over heal.

Deleted
    looks like I need to try using Holy Prism, tbh I felt in love with Light's Hamnmer from first use, and never looked back, also at the time, nobody was recomending prism.

Quote Originally Posted by nemro82 View Post
    looks like I need to try using Holy Prism, tbh I felt in love with Light's Hamnmer from first use, and never looked back, also at the time, nobody was recomending prism.
    Don't get us wrong, Light's Hammer is excellent. But Holy Prism is really worth using now. Because of the shorter cooldown, its either a single target OR an AoE heal, and the fact that it's instant, plus that it is now a smart heal, it's insanely versatile and there's a ton of uses for it.
    Humans are the only species on the planet smart enough to be this stupid.