Classes in WoW are as good as you make them

Im a major slowpoke but I finally figured out that no class in wow is OP, meaning you can screw up a fight and still be in the top 3 DPS. I admit im a FOTM player not going to lie im leveling a mage because I thought they were OP left my pally and hunter to dry out. But today in lfr and a fight in normal I relized that the on all the lfr fights the rouges and ret paladin were top dps, those classes dont suck but well played they are amazing. Even a marks hunter was top 10. I know lfr is not an accurate measure but its still a raid. Same in pvp. What im trying to say is a good player using a weak class in 465 gear can out dps , out heal, a bad player in 480 gear. Dosent matter the class its the player.

Deleted
    By jove he's got it!

I make classes OP, not blizzard. Ele shaman for life.

I used to wreck people in BC with my ret pally too.

FOTM is for bads.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthrun View Post
    wrong.

i was doing 86k on heroic feng at, like, 489 ilvl (moonkin)

Well, with respect to pvp. Say you have an exceptional player in pve who can kite a 5.0 warrior (in full pvp gear with heaps of pvp power and resilience cap) around like a pro, they can kite them for so long before they run out of tools in their tool kit to keep the warrior and bay, in which case the warrior catches them and globals. Ya the warrior was terrible, and once avatar was nerfed they had to bring a friend to win, but, this was the problem with pvp in MoP. You simply can't kite someone forever, no matter how good you are, since blizz has given a lot of counters to many classes. However some classes need only a tiny window to win and they can, if you're not geared properly.

A good player can beat a bad player but it's a sliding scale dependent on 3 things, 4 if you arena: gear, class, skill, and comp.

A few quick examples.

Vanilla I played a lock, had around 50K HK's when I took a break. All I did was pvp so I was at least OK at it.

In TBC after a break I came back on a shaman. Locks would fear me, dot me, kill me. Absolutely nothing I could do against a good one, nothing (tremor was very different then). I had my lock restored and it completely flip-flopped, with me in greens.

In Wrath, S5, my lock died to everything. I tried every trick in the book and all that would happen is a rogue would either one-shot me, or a DK would grip, pop shield, and I'd die with him at 99%. I remember rogues saying it was impossible, and maybe a pure one-shot was, but death in the opener, and death a second later, is mostly a matter of semantics. It was like playing a lock at low levels in Cata.

S6 came along and I was given a nuclear weapon.

Nothing changed except in one case my class and I went from the top, to the bottom, to the top, to the bottom and back to the top. It's better today, and raid dps is different, but pvp can be a crazy world.

15+ Year Old Account
    Disc priest suck ass but I tend to be the tank, healer, and top dps in dungeon grinds 15-40. Fun shit. But nah, still don't think they're as good as people make them. Blizzard gives us the tools, and we push them as far as they go, there are boundires that cannot be crossed, we're limited to how much damage and heals we can dish out and how much damage we can cushion. There is no way to be a god, untouchable or unbeatable in dps. I'm quite fond of disc dps, make it happen blizzard >.>

Agreed OP, a lot of it is down to the player. While I by no means class myself as an uber player, I took my recently dinged ele sham into her first heroic in questing greens and blues and sha boots. I averaged 40k dps the entire dungeon, beating others that had way, way more gear than I did.

Some players pick things up easily, others it takes time and effort to learn how to play. I'm not a believer in FoTM classes.
    Warriors in PvP are like small hyperactive children in a candy shop made of bouncy castle.

10+ Year Old Account
    Every class has a theoretical maximum and they are not equal. The quality of the player determines how close they get to that.

Deleted
    Shadow priests I think are the most OP for 1v1 right now. Ofcourse, a warrior or rogue can give you a run for your money as a spriest.

Hunters are probably 2nd most OP class. They just have so many tools, especially against melee classes. Frost mages are no longer the kings of owning melees, hunters are. That talent that immobilizes everything whenever they disengage is dumb, as if they actually needed it.

And no, it's not true that any class when played well can do well in any pvp situation. Some classes just have so many tools that a monkey can play it and come very close to looking like a pro, while other classes have so few tools or depend so much on support that even the best player can't compete with above monkey in all situations.
    Last edited by mmoca71904de22; 2013-01-20 at 09:06 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    True.
    But when a good player in 465-gear can outdps a good player in 480-gear, that's when people start to complain.
    Whenever I feel like schooling arrogant imba geared people, I log on my frost dk in like 470 ilevel and faceroll my way to 2nd place on the meter. Now don't get me wrong, this class doesn't need any sort of skill, gimmicks or tight rotations in pve, and it's so easy to play and does so much damage that the imba players, inspite of of their superior gear, need to really work to keep up, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Khronius View Post
    Whenever I feel like schooling arrogant imba geared people, I log on my frost dk in like 470 ilevel and faceroll my way to 2nd place on the meter. Now don't get me wrong, this class doesn't need any sort of skill, gimmicks or tight rotations in pve, and it's so easy to play and does so much damage that the imba players, inspite of of their superior gear, need to really work to keep up, lol.
    Lol. Sure you do...sure ya do...

/pats head.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    True.
    But when a good player in 465-gear can outdps a good player in 480-gear, that's when people start to complain.
    This might be true for dps, but itś not always for tanks and healers. You can be the worst healer in your team and top meters, you can also be a terrible tank, but easy to heal because of a combination of luck, class and rotation macro's.