I posted this on WoWEU forums. Could someone else copy+paste on US if you like this suggested list?
Played elemental since s8 wrath and even though the changes in 5.2 are very much welcomed, it's the same as 4.2, it's simply not even close enough to be on par with the middle-top specs. I had to quit my shaman in 4.2 because it was still so painful to play thanks to sub rogues being gods with cc and mobility and most r1 viable specs are not too far behind their level of CC+damage as of today.
I don't want elemental to be OP in fact I love the spec because it's challenging to play in PvP but I just want to stand a good chance against someone of equal skill and capability. I know Blizzard also doesn't want another season 8 from wrath but we aren't the reliable one shot, unkillable gods with insane offhealing and utility that we were in wrath. We barely have anything outside of completely random burst, the occasional offheal and decent utility/CC. What we lack is passive defense (even with 5.2 although not so much), sustained DPS improvements coupled with DPS outside of casting and some reliable way to escape melee. I've literally seen frost mages win games by hard casting nothing other than frost bomb and polymorph, the contrast to elemental is absolutely massive.
Buffing steady damage of flame shock or searing totem and offering frost shock as an alternative instant cast with about the same damage as ice lance minus the high crit chance would be the absolute ideal way to not only improve PvP damage but also PvE. It's sustained DPS that doesn't cause any issues and I really cannot see any negatives in buffing these abilities. Frost shock might be OP with the talent if shock cooldown is removed but elemental has no escapes anyhow.
List of ideas that could help (* means more important to the spec), any of these within some reasonable buff not to be OP would be nice. Pick any one or any few that you like and discharge the rest. These are simply a list of suggestions and are not indicative to the notion that we need ALL these buffs to be competitive:
- *Lightning bolt needs improving with about a 20% damage buff or faster cast speed.
- *A passive damage reduction is needed to counter melee cleaves a bit more. About 10%.
- **Frost shock needs to be on separate cooldown and deal about 50% more damage (similar to booming echoes in wrath), ele shamans NEED some sort of instant damage that isn't reliant on charges or RNG or shock cooldown, it doesn't need to do much damage either just something to use while moving or locked out of nature.
- Flame shock glyph needs to be 100% heal otherwise its useless or flame shock needs damage doubled.
- *** BY FAR THE MOST CRUCIAL *** Flame shock also needs to punish the dispeller since it's arguably the most crucial DoT in the entire game OF ANY CLASS. Over half of your damage is lava burst in many PvE fights and by far the most in PvP, it NEEDS to be on the target. Either provide lava floes from cata, make the target explode, create a new un-dispellable debuff that deals the flame shocks damage over 6 seconds, whatever idea you come up with it needs to be done because it's absolutely hilarious to just dispel ONE dot and have the ele shaman automatically being incapable of doing anything but cry in place.
- Astral Shift needs a jump up to 8 or 10 seconds or a 60% damage reduction.
- Capacitor needs to charge quicker by about 1 second or have 5% of hp baseline.
- Earthquake needs to have a lower cast time and deal a bit more damage because in 5.2, I can't see any reason for a shaman to cast it, it's literally useless now and that's in the most favorable position possible for the spell, i've never seen it cast in PvP, maybe have it reduce their armor or increase their lightning bolt damage taken by 5% per stack up to 5 stacks.
- Probably OP but fulmination should have a higher crit chance below 20% to function as an execute, around 25% extra chance to crit or fulmination now benefits from overload when a target is below 20%.
- Passive talent or ability for elemental and maybe enhancement. While silenced you can still use your shock spells, totems and ghost wolf.
- Healing surge would benefit nicely with a slight buff, about 15% when clearcasting isn't up. Clearcasting should be nerfed to compensate. Healing stream buff, about 25% would also help as it does less healing I believe than recuperate and is at best only up 50% when nobody attacks the totem.
- 5% hp glyph to totems should either be baseline or increased to 10% because an auto-attack can still pretty much kill them. Why use stone-bulwark apart from the initial shield when it gets killed within 3 seconds? The only way to make them useful is to use the restoration talent.
- Buff searing totem to deal 50-100% more damage, it hits for about 1.5k in pvp each second. A 100% buff is barely noticeable with it being sustained dps which is what ele needs rather than more burst.
- Every caster has some sort of escape cooldown to get away from melee. Even though elemental has it's own advantages, I still believe that since MoP we are lacking in the escape department with so many melee gaining gap closers or CC escape abilities. A 10 yard jump or dash on 3 second duration/60% movement speed or brief immunity to snares and roots, any of these would help on a 30 second or so cooldown since we already have storm.
I will admit some of these buffs could be OP but I believe that some would not only benefit shamans but also benefit the enemies as they are not abilities that would dominate or make them suffer severely at our hands. Most are individually little changes that only improve elemental's dire state in PvP and lack of sustained DPS.