Thread: Disc or holy?

  1. #1

    Disc or holy?

    Which healing spec is best ATM? My guild needs a DPSer who can heal for certain fights, and I havent healed for 4 years, so I havent kept up with which is better

  2. #2
    ultimately, the one you're better at will be better.

    otherwise disc has the higher potential for throughput and utility.
    Redsparowe#2548 <Crayola Inc>, Lightbringer EU

  3. #3
    Mechagnome
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    579
    Be both at the same time and go disc atonement healing

  4. #4
    Best right now is disc, but after 5.2 it might be the worse one, as its getting nerfed pretty badly.

    If you're rolling a priest, try both healing specs, each offer a completely different style of healing, see what you like better.

  5. #5
    Both and switch on fights that leans towards a spec.

    Me personally, i enjoy Holy alot more atm.
    Might change in 5.2 when were forced to do something else than PoH spam.

    Sig made by Resentful

  6. #6
    Grunt Downz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    In the bushes.
    Posts
    10
    During current content Disc is pulling out as far as throughput, the changes with the upcoming Patch might change that.
    But as posted above the spec you are more comfortable playing as will most likely give you better numbers.

  7. #7
    You should have both specs if you plan on raiding any time soon.

    5.2 Disc Priest Guide | Retired(Playing Aion)

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by HolyLathusDisc View Post
    You should have both specs if you plan on raiding any time soon.
    Wrong again.

  9. #9
    Grunt tsokin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Key West, Florida
    Posts
    24
    Disc is the solid best choice for most raid encounters. Holy can be a little more reliable on some positional fights where it is hard to convince dps to stand in a helpful way.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Amnesti View Post
    Wrong again.
    It's always nice when you support your argument.

  11. #11
    All healing specs can do the job of healing raids. If you just need to step up and heal, any spec can do the job.
    For this reason I would recommend playing what you enjoy rather than playing what is the flavour of the month.
    Try both specs and see which spec suits you the most!

    Disc requires you to plan ahead to mitigate damage before it hits. But right now it can currently be played by mostly spamming one button, win healing meters and make healing look easy.
    Holy is more reactive and relies on using multiple different heals to excel. It's IMO a lot more fun too. But chakra is limiting what you can do well, and mana is undeniably tighter.

    Disc is currently better than holy in virtually all aspects of the game, though that really only matter if you plan on doing high end raiding. There is one fight that seriously favor holy (tsulong), there is a handful that favor disc, and the rest is really up for either.

    I do not know how this will play out in 5.2 though. This may and probably will change in the next patch, and it is too early to really tell. I would assume Holy ends up with doing more slightly HPS and disc ends up with slightly better damage mitigation cooldowns, though this is quite a sore topic around these parts and I'd rather not start that debate up.

    For now, the answer to your question is: YES
    Non-discipline since 2006. Also: fails. "Chakra, when the walls fell"

  12. #12
    Holy is reactive healing while disc is proactive.

    Disc currently can outpace Holy. However if you are programmed into a reactive healing style, than you will perform better at Holy than Disc.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Royalite View Post
    Holy is reactive healing while disc is proactive.

    Disc currently can outpace Holy. However if you are programmed into a reactive healing style, than you will perform better at Holy than Disc.
    This isn't exactly true. There are some proactive tactics to healing as Holy, including pre-casting, pre-stacking Serendipity and refreshing Renew using Cascade right before damage (particularly on Garalon's Crush). Also, if mana allows it, you can use Holy's Mastery to stack a rolling HoT on a target (say, a tank about to take damage) in much the same way a Disc priest stacks DA prior to damage. In 5.2 it will get a bit harder for Disc priests to pre-shield outside of SS and PWS, and any damage that gets through will see Disc priests less effective at healing than Holy. Since there are usually fights that require raw healing in every other tier or have a mechanic that absorbs don't work with, Disc priests in general do tend to have to keep a Holy off-spec "in case of emergency", whereas Holy Priests are safe to run with a Shadow off-spec.

  14. #14
    Blademaster Leyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    42
    There are some proactive tactics to healing as Holy
    Which should be used at all times anyways for the best output.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkener View Post
    This isn't exactly true. There are some proactive tactics to healing as Holy, including pre-casting, pre-stacking Serendipity and refreshing Renew using Cascade right before damage (particularly on Garalon's Crush). Also, if mana allows it, you can use Holy's Mastery to stack a rolling HoT on a target (say, a tank about to take damage) in much the same way a Disc priest stacks DA prior to damage. In 5.2 it will get a bit harder for Disc priests to pre-shield outside of SS and PWS, and any damage that gets through will see Disc priests less effective at healing than Holy. Since there are usually fights that require raw healing in every other tier or have a mechanic that absorbs don't work with, Disc priests in general do tend to have to keep a Holy off-spec "in case of emergency", whereas Holy Priests are safe to run with a Shadow off-spec.
    That's assuming you are on Serenity Chakra. I doubt many holy priests go Serenity for this fight (Garalon), as they lose a lot of AoE power needed for his fight, such as CoH and PoH. Although you could be right, I haven't checked logs so I'm just saying what seems logical to me. In Sanctuary chakra you also use PoH a lot more, giving you plenty of DI procs which help a lot, especially on this fight.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •