Quote Originally Posted by Extrazero8 View Post
    The cost of your food is lower because employers assume you're going to tip. You tip if you get good service. If you don't get good service you should not tip and tell the manager you got bad service.

If there are more people like you then everyone's cost per meal is going to go up no matter what the service is like. Your getting a reduced cost meal thanks to other people. That's called freeloading.
    Then the fault is the company. like i've been saying. THEY treat employees worse if servers dont get tips for them to use to pad the amount they need to pay. it's unfair to call people who dont feed a greedy company who mistreats everyone freeloaders when i guarantee they dont even know that.

Also, tips only go to SERVING STAFF. Under U.S. Law tips cant go to anyone else unless the tipper says who it goes to.

The cost of your food is lower because employers assume you're going to tip. You tip if you get good service. If you don't get good service you should not tip and tell the manager you got bad service.

If there are more people like you then everyone's cost per meal is going to go up no matter what the service is like. Your getting a reduced cost meal thanks to other people. That's called freeloading.
    And it still isn't the fault of the customer.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    Evidently people dont understand why we have tipping. People who dont tip are scummy. Ill make an exception for students and such, but tip your servers, they live off tips.
    Get a job where you don't have to live off your tips.

Stop expecting free shit from people all the time.

Tipping is for suckers.

Actually the job is to bring people food.

And employers shouldn't factor in tips into employees wages. They do, so therefor your expected to tip. If you don't then expect to be last in line.

Every pizza place I have ever been to has a line on the receipt for a tip.

Also, your driver doesn't care if you don't order if you're not going to tip. In fact they would rather you not order so you don't waste their time and gas.
    The job is customer service. You're expected to treat all customers well. (Sometimes even when they're actually dicks, which is unfair)

The thing im against is that companies treat employees bad, so employees expect customers to make up for that fact and get mad at them when they dont.

Quote Originally Posted by Luftmangle View Post
    Get a job where you don't have to live off your tips.

Stop expecting free shit from people all the time.

Tipping is for suckers.
    But bro, don't worry, he said hed make an exception for us.

Quote Originally Posted by jwtelesio View Post
    Then the fault is the company. like i've been saying. THEY treat employees worse if servers dont get tips for them to use to pad the amount they need to pay. it's unfair to call people who dont feed a greedy company who mistreats everyone freeloaders when i guarantee they dont even know that.

Also, tips only go to SERVING STAFF. Under U.S. Law tips cant go to anyone else unless the tipper says who it goes to.
    The tips might go to the server but the company normally pays the employee the lowest they are allowed to pay. Because of the lower pay for some of their staff the cost of the food looks lower on paper but really it's 10 to 15% more because of how your expected to tip.

---------- Post added 2013-01-21 at 02:31 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Huike View Post
    And it still isn't the fault of the customer.
    It isn't but that's how this works.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalent1989 View Post
    After two hours of hauling pizza from the shop to the customer I am rather annoyed at what this person chose to put in as the tip.
    Side note: It was a really good workout.
    I worked at a pizza place right out of year 12 (in the USA, Michigan to be exact) and we had a contract with a local high school. They only ever paid the amount for the pizzas as they weren't given extra money from their school board for tips. I think it depends on the district and budgeting if they allow for it, because it's 'government' money a lot of the time tips weren't included. It's something the delivery drivers were aware of. The contract made a lot of money for our store so I don't think anyone really worried too much about the lack of tips from them as the company paid the delivery drivers a bit extra for those runs. Now if they order pizzas outside of the contract and if it's not from school budget, I would expect some sort of tip.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HeatherRae View Post
    Seriously. Tip your servers and your delivery drivers. If you don't, you're an ass. And don't think they don't know where you live - they do. And you will forever be an unmitigated douchebag in their eyes. They'll remember you. And the next time you order something, you may want to order from somewhere else. I'm just saying...

So basically pay extra out of your own pocket only to people that serve/deliver food to you because their company screws them over when it comes to wage. (once again, how is that OUR PROBLEM?) And if you don't, next time we will do something bad to your food and/or have a bad attitude with you when we see you.

This is just another reason to not tip IMHO. Many time's I would only have just enough cash on me to pay the bill and the guys that would deliver me takeout NEVER had an attitude the next time around or fucked with my food, probably because they take pride in their work no matter what happens or how they are treated... unlike some people...

When you are serving in a restaurant or delivering food to a persons door A TIP SHOULD NOT BE SOMETHING THAT IS EXPECTED. You should work hard and be polite to every single customer that you come in contact with no matter what. Why? Because it's YOUR JOB. Plain and simple.
    So good to be an ant who crawls atop a spinning rock
    Currently playing: Bioshock 2,Far Cry 3

Quote Originally Posted by jwtelesio View Post
    The job is customer service. You're expected to treat all customers well. (Sometimes even when they're actually dicks, which is unfair)

The thing im against is that companies treat employees bad, so employees expect customers to make up for that fact and get mad at them when they dont.
    That's how it is. There isn't anything you can do about it.

As a customer you have an expectation to meet. You pay for the food (that's the listed price) and you pay for the service (That's about 10 to 15% of your total bill). If you expect service with your food then you're expected to pay for that as opposed to just getting food. If you just want to pay for food then you need to get it to go.
    Last edited by Extrazero8; 2013-01-21 at 08:40 AM.

Deleted
    I only tip at bars, otherwise I dont bother.

That's how it is. There isn't anything you can do about it.
    There is. Stand up and say something. Stop being a fucking pansy. I've stood up to multiple bosses (some just managers and some actual company owners) when things start getting stupid and I or other employees around me start getting treated badly. I've never been fired from a job. I've left every job under my own terms. I was 'fired' from the same job about three or four times by the owner of the company, because he started handling things badly. The longest it took him to 'hire' me back was a couple of hours, because he knew I was right every time. He found new ways to be stupid, but we never really had the same problem twice.

Now, this isn't to say that you will definitely have the same results I've had, but if things are ever going to change then you have to stand up and say something. I guess the edge I have is that I'm not afraid to get fired, even though I never have, or just walk away.

I speak up about something. If I see some improvement or a fix, then I stick around. If something else comes up then I bring that up, too. Eventually if too many bad things happen or I see no effort to change from what I have to say, then I walk away.
    Last edited by valzyf; 2013-01-21 at 08:57 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by valzyf View Post
    There is. Stand up and say something. Stop being a fucking pansy.
    Pretty much this. The problem is with your company/employer, not the customer.
    So good to be an ant who crawls atop a spinning rock
    Currently playing: Bioshock 2,Far Cry 3

There is. Stand up and say something. Stop being a fucking pansy. I've stood up to multiple bosses (some just managers and some actual company owners) when things start getting stupid and I or other employees around me start getting treated badly.
    I don't work in food anymore but the answer every owner is going to give is "Get the fuck out". If they don't then they are just going to raise the cost of their food. Then your "tip" is just the extra listed cost.

I've never been fired from a job. I've left every job under my own terms. I was 'fired' from the same job about three or four times by the owner of the company, because he started handling things badly. The longest it took him to 'hire' me back was a couple of hours, because he knew I was right every time. He found new ways to be stupid, but we never really had the same problem twice.
    Good for you. Most people don't have that. In the food world most employers feel that anyone of their employees can be replaced in a week. Most employees think they can get the same job at a different bullshit food place in a week.

No one cares so you have to make them. That's were you paying your bill, and returning, and the tip comes in. You have to make sure the employee and employer are both covered.

Edit: That's true with buying any product, only with food you have some options others don't give you.

---------- Post added 2013-01-21 at 03:07 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Fitzgerald77 View Post
    Pretty much this. The problem is with your company/employer, not the customer.
    The customer has an expectation to meet when getting service with food. The customer not meeting that expectation is the customer's fault.
    Last edited by Extrazero8; 2013-01-21 at 09:04 AM.

Deleted
    Ugh, seeing so much hatred between people who deliver food and people who had their food delivered, i think if i am ever in the US i'll be much better off driving to the place and get my food there x_x

Quote Originally Posted by jotabe View Post
    Ugh, seeing so much hatred between people who deliver food and people who had their food delivered, i think if i am ever in the US i'll be much better off driving to the place and get my food there x_x
    Probably the best option.

The customer has an expectation to meet when getting service with food. The customer not meeting that expectation is the customer's fault.
    Order food,
    get it,
    eat it,
    pay for it...?

Probably the best option.
    Cheaper for sure. When I order from this small italian place by my apartment, I generally tip 3-4$ on 20-30$ worth of food, and my food is always hot when it arrives. I was talking with the driver one day and apparently a ton of people give him like 1-2$ tips for 4+ meal deliveries, so they get their food after the people who tip well for the price.

Order food,
    get food,
    eat food,
    pay for food...?
    Option 1) Order food, get food, pay for food, leave with food. List price

Option 2) Sit down at a clean table, order food, get drinks, get food, eat food, get refills on drinks, pay for food and service. List price + 10-15%.

Option 3) Order food from your house, have someone else bring it to you, pay for food and service. List price + 10-15%.

You can always chose option 1 if you don't want to pay for service.

You can always chose option 1 if you don't want to pay for service.
    Never said I don't. But that 10-15%, in a restaurant, depends entirely on the service received. It's not just automatic.

And trust me, I'm a lot fairer to wait staff then many people I see.

Never said I don't. But that 10-15%, in a restaurant, depends entirely on the service received. It's not just automatic.

And trust me, I'm a lot fairer to wait staff then many people I see.
    Unless the service is truly horrendous I always tip at least 10%. I tipped 20% in NZ at one resturaunt purely because it was such amazing food and amazing service and the owner was over talking with us and having a good time. They tried to give my money back, trying to explain to me that tipping isn't required in NZ, and I explained that I knew it but had such a wonderful time I feel like they should get a little extra beyond list price.

Edit -> If the service is really terrible, leave a penny for a tip. That way the server knows you didn't just forget or something.
    Last edited by obdigore; 2013-01-21 at 09:38 AM.