10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    Do you tip people who work at McDonalds, or the people who clean the toilets at the movie theater? They are trying to make ends meet too, except they don't have some artificial social construct that compels people to give them money for doing their job. Unless you tip every single person who does work that provides you with a service, you are a hypocrite.
    LOL funnily enough.

While I am against tipping in restaurant, in some places (clubs, nice restaurants and such) in their toilet there is a server that that washes your hand, dry your hand, spray aftershave on you afterwards, I actually tip them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Redmage View Post
    Don't disagree that Microsoft has a negative effect on the IT industry, but it has a positive one too. Not the topic however. I also find it hilarious that in your link there Bill Gate's name does not appear a single time, not one. We are talking about Bill Gates and his personal life and projects not Microsoft (which he isn't even ceo of anymore, still on the board however))
    At the time MS was convicted he was CEO. He's been original founder and CEO ever since that date. Stating he had nothing to do with it is plain ignorant.

Don't say crazy things and I won't call you a crazy person.
    Don't give a flying fuck if you have to resort to name calling. It is your loss in the argument; not mine. If you wish to call me Hitler, be my guest. It is you who looks dumb on such a statement; not me. Same here. You call names, you look dumb.

---------- Post added 2013-02-02 at 12:34 AM ----------

I would pay cash money to watch you wait a table for an afternoon.
    how resentful. Maybe you can hire a sniper to kill him/her at the restaurant as well! Don't tip? Get griefed! Seems to be the M.O. from the pro tipping peeps here. Grief them into misery! Damn them for not voluntarily paying.

10+ Year Old Account
    /popcorn

Happily, I haven't tipped in a restaurant for over a decade. I usually get good service, I often get great service. The person waiting on me gets a wage that is competitive with other work for their skill level that usually includes room and board. If they don't, they know full well that there are probably half a dozen other places in a three block area that have running ads for help posted in the window. Somehow, everything works just fine without tips. Actually, smaller places will often make a small gesture to recognize me as a good customer. Somehow, the restaurant makes money, I have a good meal and the waiter gets paid.

The punchline is that this is in the land of the people who run Foxconn. That's how ridiculous the whole American tipping schtick is. Watching the impassioned defense of America's *current* tipping habits -- and what is current is vastly different from what it once was -- is like watching a defense of female circumcision. People outside the system say it is backward and uncivilized and the response comes down to: "that's the way we do things here". Defend it as rabidly as you want, call on social pressures and implied threats ... you'll see the same used to defend female circumcision.

For all the vitriol, I'm still waiting for an answer to a point I raised pages back -- why didn't somebody from the pizza place call the school and ask if something was wrong with the service? This wasn't a standard delivery, we don't know (and the person who signed the ticket did not necessarily know) what terms had been negotiated. We don't know if this is poor etiquette or just poor communication.

Shit happens, people get sick and call out, machines break, things get back ordered, on and on the list of things that are out of the control of your server, or even the manager or the store, goes.

And yet you choose to be unreasonable, uncompassionate, and unsympathetic (not that you could relate).

No, indeed you go a step further and punish the server for something that probably isn't even their fault by denying them a customary gratuity, sure its not required... but it's expected, and appreciated, and people count on your kindness to make a living.

Oh, i'm sorry, but its all about you.

Well screw you.
    You telling them it's all about them when you are the one going ape shit over the idea of ONE damn table not tipping! The irony burns my eyes.

Service people in this thread, listen up, you are not making a good case, and frankly making the rest of us look like shit. These are the facts.

Service jobs...waiters, delivery drivers, etc are UNSKILLED. Nor are they overly complicated or hard. Don't bullshit me. I've done them. I can train someone to do my current job in an afternoon of bullshiting about music. Yes it's that easy. That doesn't make you stupid...it just makes YOUR JOB unskilled. We have no super skills that make us waiters or drivers. Somebody compare the number of waiters to doctors.

Fact number two. If someone has screwed you by not tipping...SOMEONE...ONE STIFF...then frankly you have bigger issues with money management. Does it suck to get a stiff, sure, but christ, get over it. If I stiff you it's not going to ruin your night's earnings. Now if NO ONE tipped yeah you would be screwed. Good thing that hardly happens.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

10+ Year Old Account
    Thank you Poser.

Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    Thank you Poser.
    Sure thing.

You know way bake in this thread...like 30 pages ago and I was largely on the other side of this debate. But the sheer amount of vitriol, and righteous indignation coming from these people is just insane. With crap like that I just can't side with them anymore.

"Don't call me sub human because I'm a waiter, but damn you sure are if you don't tip." Jesus, really?

Deleted
    Oh wow, you are that person? That's just... wow.

You expect every person servicing you to worship the ground you walk on...
    ...and you have the nerve to call the people who want tips entitled?

I'm at a loss for words.

look at his location, the UK.

thats the problem with this debate, the tipping culture is totally different in EU and US. whats a douche move in the US is not here

10+ Year Old Account
    Nobody is expecting tips. It's just that in this particular case giving at least something is the right thing to do. He hand delivered over one hundred Pizzas. He isn't required to give a tip in any situation, it's just that in this case not giving a tip is a dickish thing to do.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Grym View Post
    LOL funnily enough.

While I am against tipping in restaurant, in some places (clubs, nice restaurants and such) in their toilet there is a server that that washes your hand, dry your hand, spray aftershave on you afterwards, I actually tip them.

i would feel a little uncomfortable with him in the toilet...

Quote Originally Posted by The EagleOwl Mage View Post
    Nobody is expecting tips. It's just that in this particular case giving at least something is the right thing to do. He hand delivered over one hundred Pizzas. He isn't required to give a tip in any situation, it's just that in this case not giving a tip is a dickish thing to do.
    We need to break some semantics down for a sec. Every driver EXPECTS tips. Drivers that aren't idiots realize that they aren't mandatory and a sure thing.

Just a quick note

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post
    We need to break some semantics down for a sec. Every driver EXPECTS tips. Drivers that aren't idiots realize that they aren't mandatory and a sure thing.

Just a quick note
    When I delivered Pizzas I never expected to get a tip, I was always happy when I did though.

Quote Originally Posted by The EagleOwl Mage View Post
    When I delivered Pizzas I never expected to get a tip, I was always happy when I did though.
    I think that's the semantics. When I deliver a pizza, and leave with the expectation that I will get a tip. It's a fundamental aspect of my pay. Precedent shows that I WILL get a tip, so it's a sure bet to expect. I know that doesn't mean it's a sure thing I WILL get a tip. Does that makes sense?

I don't feel I am entitled to a tip, or that they have to tip me, I just know that WAY more often than not I will be tipped, and that sets my expectations.

Deleted
    Oh wow, you are that person? That's just... wow.

You expect every person servicing you to worship the ground you walk on...
    ...and you have the nerve to call the people who want tips entitled?

I'm at a loss for words.
    You can shove that off as entitlement, but it is more about valuing your self as an individual and the power the money you earned has.

Which was also my point with the donation debate. It is completely OK if you donate to the Melinda and Bill Gates foundation, but it is also completely OK for someone to disagree with such support. Its a personal power, a personal responsibility. IMO the analogy with tipping goes along well.