Solid State Drives 240-256 help

Hello MMO-Champs of the Computer forums

I've been having a tough time picking out a SSD as of late. I been told Samsung SSDs were the way to go if my budget was roughly 250usd.

I currently have a 128 crucial m4 ssd and this fills up fast with WoW and Tera loaded on. I ran out of space awhile installing Tera and it hit me then that I should probably invest in a 240+ssd.

So what would be your recommendation for a ssd of that size?

What I have so far is

samsung 830/840/840 pro
    OCZ vertex4/vector

I find my current ssd lightning fast, the reason why I am having a tough time is the decision between the 840 and 840 pro and vertex4 / vector

Are there other choices out there that would be better $/performance?
    Currently leaning towards the 840 but people have been pushing the 840 pro.

Thanks for the responses.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you go with Samsung, I'd go with the 830, or the 840 Pro. However, I don't think there are noticeable benefits outside of benchmarks. Switching from HDD to SSD provides 95% of the performance increase. So I guess I'd recommend whatever Samsung 200gb+ is cheapest. I have heard the Vertex 4 is a good drive, however I don't have one, so can't speak from experience. As far as I'm aware, any issues OCZ had with previous drives have long since been resolved.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    However, I don't think there are noticeable benefits outside of benchmarks.
    QFT.

Also, Samsung products are weird on benchmarks:

840 Pro (128/256GB) > 830 (256GB) > 840 (250 GB) > 830 (128GB) > 830 (64 GB) > 840 (120 GB) in terms of performance.

I'd suggest taking a look at Tom's Hardware's SSD Hierarchy Chart where you can find the ultimate performance list (in nifty tier form) in the bottom. Fancy graphics on top.

Hope you can find something that works out for you.
    Last edited by Riverness; 2013-01-20 at 11:06 AM. Reason: typos, typos everywhere..

10+ Year Old Account
    between the choices i would honestly get the Vector, Samsung is cheaping out on their SSDs with the 840 line (they are sacrificing reliability and durability for cost and performance compared to the 830)

the Vector has been a long time project of OCZ and spec wise is an amazing SSD, and is purpose built instead of a simple offering

Well I am not looking for performance entirely more for reliability and durability, I guess I should have included that sorry :x.
    Though would there be other choices instead of those two? I've always been a Cosair fan boy but I haven't seen much talk about their ssds.

This was a decently rated ssd and the price is pretty good. http://www.amazon.com/Mushkin-Chrono...ref=pd_sim_e_3
    tl;dr Is just another way of saying I am about to troll

Quote Originally Posted by Insideme View Post
    Well I am not looking for performance entirely more for reliability and durability, I guess I should have included that sorry :x.
    Though would there be other choices instead of those two? I've always been a Cosair fan boy but I haven't seen much talk about their ssds.
    Out of Corsairs current offering I'd say Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB is the only one worth looking at.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

hmm kk, probably going to go with OCZ vertex4 since micro center has some in stock thanks!