491 ShinKa or Malevolent Weapon

which is better for pvp? thanks.

Deleted
    Always choose PvP weapons for pvp.

well I haven't pvpd since the end of wotlk so i was wondering what the cutoff is for using a pve weapon over pvp? shinka is 21 ilvls over the malevolent pvp weapons.

You're going to upgrade the pvp weapon though right? You're comparing an upgraded version vs a non-upgraded version. Also, imagine how much of your damage is not based on weapon damage: How, Judgment, exorcism, holy prism. Use pvp weapon that's upgraded. It's better.

Yeah I plan on upgrading it but i was wondering if i should wait to use until upgraded

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by This Guy View Post
    Always choose PvP weapons for pvp.
    No, no and no. Sometimes PvE weapons are better, even when you take PvP Resilience and PvP Power into consideration.

I don't know which one is better, but I know its not as easy as 'PvP Weapons are always better'.
    The grass is always greener - The times were always better

Deleted
    The ~5k PvP power outweights the stats from the PvE weapon. It always will in MoP.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Googolplex View Post
    'PvP Weapons are always better'
    Yeah, for PvP, PvP weapons are better purely because of all that PvP Power on it. Ya it may have more stats like Strength, Stamina, Mastery, etc. But what good is that without PvP stats?
    Personality: INTJ

“Greatness, at any cost.”

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Googolplex View Post
    No, no and no. Sometimes PvE weapons are better, even when you take PvP Resilience and PvP Power into consideration.

I don't know which one is better, but I know its not as easy as 'PvP Weapons are always better'.
    And though, yes it is...

PvP weapon, with the buff to heals from PvP power next patch ideally we might shift back to gemming PvP power.

10+ Year Old Account
    pvp weapon, no contest

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Strifus View Post
    The ~5k PvP power outweights the stats from the PvE weapon. It always will in MoP.
    Secondary stats yes, raw weapon damage is a completely different story.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovan View Post
    Secondary stats yes, raw weapon damage is a completely different story.
    Considering 1 weapon dmg < 2 streg and 1 pvp power > 1 streg. It's very likely that unless you're comparing current seasons pvp weapons with t15 herioc 2/2 upgraded weapons that the pve weapon wouldn't even come close.

I don't think people realize that this was blizzard's intention. It's also why they can drop the ilvl on the weapon mid season and you lose weapon dps, primary and secondary stats but still be where you were before the ilvl nerf.
    Last edited by Riptide; 2013-01-20 at 07:51 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
    Considering 1 weapon dmg < 2 streg and 1 pvp power > 1 streg. It's very likely that unless you're comparing current seasons pvp weapons with t15 herioc 2/2 upgraded weapons that the pve weapon wouldn't even come close.
    Malevolent 2 hander has 10.099 - 15.151 weapon damage.
    Normal mode Shin'ka has 12.868 - 19.303 weapon damage.

Without counting in the legendary gem and gem socket, Shin'ka gives roughly 1000 secondary stats more, while the malevolent weapon gives 4.770 PvP power. Shin'ka also gives 1223 strength compared to the malevolent's 960 strength. Upgrading the Shin'ka also increases the item budget by more compared to the malevolent weapon making the gap bigger.

This is normal mode Skin'ka though, I don't think the LFR version will beat the malevolent weapon. But I didn't do the math on that.

Deleted
    Yeah, well, resilience has its role too. PvP power by 4k to 5k gives your ~25% increased Damage against player.
    If high-end PVE weap were better, don't you think high-end players would use them (as they used Voices of the deeps and stacking trinkets in the past) ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bovan View Post
    Malevolent 2 hander has 10.099 - 15.151 weapon damage.
    Normal mode Shin'ka has 12.868 - 19.303 weapon damage.

Without counting in the legendary gem and gem socket, Shin'ka gives roughly 1000 secondary stats more, while the malevolent weapon gives 4.770 PvP power. Shin'ka also gives 1223 strength compared to the malevolent's 960 strength. Upgrading the Shin'ka also increases the item budget by more compared to the malevolent weapon making the gap bigger.

This is normal mode Skin'ka though, I don't think the LFR version will beat the malevolent weapon. But I didn't do the math on that.

Still wrong. Both upgraded is shinka(counting prismatic socket) at 1035 wdps +784 streg + 698 secondary stats vs malevolent 5141 pvp power. Pvp power crushes it. Even more so when you factor in healing such as Pre 5.1 and post 5.2.

Btw if you want to compare t2 to heroic where the gap is even smaller(19ilvl vs 26ilvl for normal), you will begin to see how good the pvp weapons scale with ilvl. (i.e. much better than pve weapons).

Just to remind you Sha touched weapon sockets + the prismatic don't count towards the budget and they are still bested by pvp weapons for pvp. There won't be any pve weapons that give you free stats next tier. So unless there's a killer proc it will be an even larger gap.
    Last edited by Riptide; 2013-01-20 at 11:26 PM.

No way you should sacrifice about 5k PvP power for higher ilvl on your wep, imo. The PvP power is just to imporant to deal any sort of dmg now. I dont play ret in PvP, but as an example - when my teammate, a warrior. Gems resi insted of PvP power (and then lose like 2-3k pvp power) his dmg is shit, and thats with t2. Well not shit - but alot worse.

People sit at around 60-65% resi now, and 50-60% power. So if an attack did 100,000 dmg that would be 160,000 with 60% power. And then the 55% resi would make that attack hit 72,000.
    So if you skip out on the PvP weapon, you lose about 25% of your pvp power = 45% power. Then that attack would hit about 145,000 (Yes, the weapon itself with higher primary stats would probably make it hit alitlebit higher though). And your target got 55% resi = 65,250dmg in the end. Not the biggest difference, but still quite a bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by atenime45 View Post
    The 10% reward. It's was unspoken rule that you DONT attack other faction so everyone could enjoy the 10% reward. But now no one cares about that anymore