Page 1 of 2
LastLast

GPU Fan Gets Loud and screen goes black

Ok, so for the last week or so my pc has recently just been getting a black screen, when this happens, the GPU fan gets really loud, now it happened a few times and i thought nothing off it but its continuing to do so and i believe is happening more often. i have three fans on the case and their is plenty of air flow through the case. All i have been playing is League of legends on one moniter which is not really a demanding game and sometimes a dvd on another monitor, then all of a sudden the screen goes black, the gpu starts to get really loud, but i can still hear sound from the pc for about 1minute after getting the black screen.

Some specs
    CPU - i5 3570
    GPU - Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 2GB GDDR5
    Mobo - Msi Z77A-GD55

Deleted
    any chance you can monitor the temps? sounds an awfull lot like overheating or driver issue.

ok ill try and get some temps, give me 10mins

I would download speedfan to check the heat of your GPU, also, though I'm sure you did, I would check to make sure you have an adequate power supply.

im getting temps now for in game and out of game ill be 10mins, and the gpu requires 500w and i have got a 550w so thats ok i believe

15+ Year Old Account
    Power on 12v rails matters more than total combined watts so that may be way more than enough or could be way less than enough; depends on the what PSU it is exactly.

Either way, it sounds more like an overheating issue than PSU issue but it could be either (or none).
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

ok, so here are some temps and some info on gpu

Gpu info

GPU Temp out of game

GPU Temp in game for 10mins on league of legends

The psu i have is a Cooler master GX 550w the model number is - RS-550-ACAA
    I have the box and it displays all the info about but i dont know what you need to know ill just list some stuff:P

Type - ATX 12V V2.31
    Input Frequency - 47-63Hz

Deleted
    crashes happened during LoL?
    any chance you could get a graph of the temps with say afterburner? (or similar program) during a heaven dx 11 run? (lol is not that demanding on the gpu iirc)

Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    crashes happened during LoL?
    any chance you could get a graph of the temps with say afterburner? (or similar program) during a heaven dx 11 run? (lol is not that demanding on the gpu iirc)
    From what i can remember this in only happening when i have been on lol for a few hours, and ill download them programs now and post my results as soon as possible.

---------- Post added 2013-01-20 at 07:37 PM ----------

Ok so here are the results, ill just post links as they might come out as real big images.

Settings i used for the heaven dx11 test, are they ok ? or should u of put all on max ?
    http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...psa37b994b.png

Afterburner whilst idle
    http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...ps65d1b958.png

Afterburner afer dx 11 test (the big spike in GPU usage is when i reset test with benchmarking)
    http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...psd045ac59.png
    Last edited by mrstinky127; 2013-01-20 at 07:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mrstinky127 View Post
    Ok, so for the last week or so my pc has recently just been getting a black screen, when this happens, the GPU fan gets really loud, now it happened a few times and i thought nothing off it but its continuing to do so and i believe is happening more often. i have three fans on the case and their is plenty of air flow through the case. All i have been playing is League of legends on one moniter which is not really a demanding game and sometimes a dvd on another monitor, then all of a sudden the screen goes black, the gpu starts to get really loud, but i can still hear sound from the pc for about 1minute after getting the black screen.

Some specs
    CPU - i5 3570
    GPU - Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 2GB GDDR5
    Mobo - Msi Z77A-GD55
    Be very careful. This is what happened when my Sapphire Radeon HD 5830 died. Black screen and card's fans working at 100%. Card is RIP as we speak.

Edit: I wouldn't run any benchies on your card if I were you. They just might make things worse than they are.
    Last edited by Sturmbringe; 2013-01-20 at 07:42 PM.
    Veteran vanilla player - I was 31 back in 2005 when I started playing WoW - Nostalrius raider with a top raid guild.

Dayumm.. well i hope thats not the case, i got it just thie christmas so its all a new build, would it be wise to get it replaced ?
    Let me know what u think of them results shroudster

15+ Year Old Account
    Agreed, Afterburner is great for this type of thing because you can also set custom fan speeds so that you can force the fans to kick in sooner on (if it is a heat issue)

Assuming the PSU is not damaged/broken, it should supply more than enough power. It's a pretty good PSU by today's standards even, though the latest review is from 2008, so that does put it at around 5 years old. It's certainly not impossible that it has begun to fail.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturmbringe View Post
    Edit: I wouldn't run any benchies on your card if I were you. They just might make things worse than they are.
    If his card will break under the slightest stress, it isn't worth using. Benching it is the only way to figure out the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Simca View Post
    Agreed, Afterburner is great for this type of thing because you can also set custom fan speeds so that you can force the fans to kick in sooner on (if it is a heat issue)

Assuming the PSU is not damaged/broken, it should supply more than enough power. It's a pretty good PSU by today's standards even, though the latest review is from 2008, so that does put it at around 5 years old. It's certainly not impossible that it has begun to fail.
    The power supply is brand new, i bought it only at Christmas along with all the other parts so it should be fine, In the heaven dx11 test the gpu usage was at about 98% and max temp was around 61 degrees

@Simca: You are right IMO. For the record, my own HD 5830 surrendered the ghost after a full FURMARK series of benchies/tests. I had scheduled already its replacement with my GTX 580, so I didn't really care.

We learn from other people's mistakes, this is why I posted this.
    Veteran vanilla player - I was 31 back in 2005 when I started playing WoW - Nostalrius raider with a top raid guild.

Deleted
    Dayumm.. well i hope thats not the case, i got it just thie christmas so its all a new build, would it be wise to get it replaced ?
    Let me know what u think of them results shroudster
    any chance you could upload them with imgur? can't see any details beyond the shape of the graphs which won't tell me much if i can't see the numbers associated with it. (applies to all 3 pictures pretty much)
    sapphire and XFX are notorious to make ati cards unstable with too high clocks which the chip usually can't handle.

15+ Year Old Account
    Set an alarm on Speedfan then at like 70 degrees on the GPU and next time the problem occurs, if Speedfan's alarm doesn't go off, you know the problem is not temps.

Though 70 is even on the low side of what it should be able to tolerate - anything up to 80 should be fine.

any chance you could upload them with imgur? can't see any details beyond the shape of the graphs which won't tell me much if i can't see the numbers associated with it. (applies to all 3 pictures pretty much)
    sapphire and XFX are notorious to make ati cards unstable with too high clocks which the chip usually can't handle.
    New image Links
    Settings - http://i.imgur.com/MraEdN1.jpg
    idle - http://i.imgur.com/MraEdN1.jpg
    test - http://i.imgur.com/MraEdN1.jpg

---------- Post added 2013-01-20 at 07:57 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Simca View Post
    Set an alarm on Speedfan then at like 70 degrees on the GPU and next time the problem occurs, if Speedfan's alarm doesn't go off, you know the problem is not temps.

Though 70 is even on the low side of what it should be able to tolerate - anything up to 80 should be fine.
    I have downloaded speedfan simca but i cannot figure out how set an alarm for the gpu;( can you share;P?

Edit - nevermind, i have set the alarm.
    Last edited by mrstinky127; 2013-01-20 at 08:00 PM.

Deleted
    New image Links
    Settings - http://i.imgur.com/MraEdN1.jpg
    idle - http://i.imgur.com/MraEdN1.jpg
    test - http://i.imgur.com/MraEdN1.jpg

---------- Post added 2013-01-20 at 07:57 PM ----------

I have downloaded speedfan simca but i cannot figure out how set an alarm for the gpu;( can you share;P?
    alarm shouldn't be needed , is that really the test image? temps/ gpu usage are really on the low side.
    you did plug in the extra 6pin power pin from the PSU to the GPU right? (looks like a lack of power or faulty card if that test image is true)

alarm shouldn't be needed , is that really the test image? temps/ gpu usage are really on the low side.
    you did plug in the extra 6pin power pin from the PSU to the GPU right? (looks like a lack of power or faulty card if that test image is true)
    What temp should the GPU be at ? it was around 60-61 for the most of the test, and yes the GPU has two slots for the psu and they are both plugged in

Deleted
    What temp should the GPU be at ? it was around 60-61 for the most of the test, and yes the GPU has two slots for the psu and they are both plugged in
    the image shows 39 degrees as peak temp hence i ask :P 60-61 sounds more reasonable and is actually quite cool for a gpu.