Page 1 of 2
LastLast

[Music] Starting DJ just looking for critism and/or tips

Hey guys.

First of, the music genre is Hardstyle / Raw Hardstyle.

I am one of the real festival/hardstyle lovers. I listen it for about 6 or 7 years now, the style has definately changed but there still are a lot of awesome tracks coming out. I'm not much of the mainstream hardstyle (such as Year Of Summer from Wildstylez, which is actually on the radio in Holland often). I'm more the dark/raw hardstyle type.

Every major festival I've been to. Defqon 1, Decibel, Intents Festival, Q-Base etc. I actually have a tattoo of the logo of Defqon 1 on my chest, which little people know. It just shows my love for the music and its on my chest so it's hidden 99% of the time. Its for myself, nothing to show off.

For years I've been dreaming of becoming a DJ. I decided that I can keep dreaming, but instead I'm going to do it. "Unfortunately" I'm buying a house now, so I can't buy the software to actually produce music. Once this is done and I can save some money, I will definately start producing.

To get to the point; I'm not sure if this is the right forum but last christmas I got my very own Numark Mixtrack Pro from my girlfriend.
    I bought Traktor 2 Pro straight after which allows me to actually mix/use effects/record etc.

I'm looking for some critism and/or tips. I've made quite some mixes so far, but I've only put a few online. Most mixes took me about 15 to 20 tries, the software I use is pretty much record only. Can't edit, so one mistake means I got to start over again. Ill just post them from mix one to my latest.

My first mix is actually a live set from the Noisecontrollers at Qlimax 2010. I've heard it about a hundred times and I loved it. The reason I chose to remix this liveset is because they pick the tracklist for me and it gives me perfect examples of track transition and how to do it perfectly. I've tried to do it like them, but obviously I got a lot to learn.

Sorry for the very long thread, here are my mixes!

Here is the Qlimax Noisecontrollers 2010 remix:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71QW7C5VS5g

Oldschool Hardstyle Remix:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ee_7ke5SgxA

Hardstyle Top 15 2012:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrhnTg9aV5Y

Hardstyle Top 10 December 2012:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTmXoZpxwbs

And my latest remix which I actually finished uploading a minute ago;
    Raw Hardstyle January 2013 remix.
    Starting off with 2 mainstream songs, but it gets rougher every minute.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8n2AF...ature=youtu.be

The first remix isnt that great, I'm thinking of remaking it. It was my first, so it should be a lot better if I attempt it once more.

Any critism and/or tips are welcome!
    Last edited by aevitas; 2013-01-20 at 07:38 PM.
    Draenor EU: Archavious - Level 120 Warlock ; Loaen - Level 120 Demon Hunter ; Arathia - Level 120 Paladin ; Mitosis - Level 110 Priest ; Toreck - Level 110 Hunter ; Aeralinde - Level 110 Mage ; Crikey - Level 110 Warrior

Main thing that I noticed - too many of the songs that you're mixing start instantly with some lyrics, which means that trying to mix them is not going to be effective. I was really aware when a new song was coming in over the old one, because it was too obvious that it had been added.

For example, on the Hardstyle Top 15 2012, the mix of these two songs:

S-Dee - Music Is 10:24 - 13:09
    Titan - The Hour Of The Night (Original Mix) 13:10 - 15:49

What you want to do is mix the beat from Hour Of The Night in sooner, rather than having a blank space in the song. You'd have to beat match the two and slide it under the end lyrics of Music Is at around 12:57~12:58

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...Tg9aV5Y#t=778s
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...Tg9aV5Y#t=803s

If you overlap these two points, you'll create a seamless flow as the previous song drops off, where it can mix in to the next one, without the lyrics getting in the way. The guy should say "And now, it's coming for you." as the beat is kicking in.

Even if you do a sloppy mash of the two, it'll still come across sounding more involving than just a straight song swap with 5 second fade. Aim for 15~30 second fades, by just dropping the bass out of the first song and let the second song take over at a natural sounding point. If you're mixing a song that has a big build up, then make use of it as the previous song is trailing off:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOSvyp04zNk

All of this is doable on a PC DJ setup too, just give it a try. Even if you don't set starting or cut off points for the songs, just have them trail into each other. For example, Steam Train could've started mixing into Hour Of The Night about 15 seconds before it finished, rather than just having the beat vanish.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    Main thing that I noticed - too many of the songs that you're mixing start instantly with some lyrics, which means that trying to mix them is not going to be effective. I was really aware when a new song was coming in over the old one, because it was too obvious that it had been added.

For example, on the Hardstyle Top 15 2012, the mix of these two songs:

S-Dee - Music Is 10:24 - 13:09
    Titan - The Hour Of The Night (Original Mix) 13:10 - 15:49

What you want to do is mix the beat from Hour Of The Night in sooner, rather than having a blank space in the song. You'd have to beat match the two and slide it under the end lyrics of Music Is at around 12:57~12:58

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...Tg9aV5Y#t=778s
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...Tg9aV5Y#t=803s

If you overlap these two points, you'll create a seamless flow as the previous song drops off, where it can mix in to the next one, without the lyrics getting in the way. The guy should say "And now, it's coming for you." as the beat is kicking in.

Even if you do a sloppy mash of the two, it'll still come across sounding more involving than just a straight song swap with 5 second fade. Aim for 15~30 second fades, by just dropping the bass out of the first song and let the second song take over at a natural sounding point. If you're mixing a song that has a big build up, then make use of it as the previous song is trailing off:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOSvyp04zNk

All of this is doable on a PC DJ setup too, just give it a try. Even if you don't set starting or cut off points for the songs, just have them trail into each other. For example, Steam Train could've started mixing into Hour Of The Night about 15 seconds before it finished, rather than just having the beat vanish.
    I completely agree with this guy, your mixing is atm a bit too abrupt. The "sloppy mash" that he mentions is a good beginners trick.

Somehow deleted my post earlier...

Thanks for the awesome feedback! Ill definately try out the things you suggested.

Is there any reason to try it on a PC DJ setup? Or should I stick to Traktor 2 with the mix deck?

I have tested a bit on the things you suggested and I've uploaded the outcome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Bd9p...ature=youtu.be

It are 2 recordings in a row, I basically only recorded the track transition and then fast forward the songs to the end so I could put in the next song.

At the start I play S-Dee music is and I let Hour Of The Night start at the point you suggested, turned off the bass from the first song and the low/high frequencies which put down the bass even more (felt like it, anyway).

A bit later I fast forward Hour Of The Night to the point I wanted to let Steam Train start, unfortunately Hour Of The Night stopped earlier so it did not feel like a natural transition...

After that I tried the same thing with Omegatypez - Digital Revolutions swapping to Da Bootleggers - Bitches & Ho's which didn't sound too great.

The next recording is swapping Frontliner Halos to Scope DJ Spark of Life..

I'm not sure if this technique works on all tracks, but it will require a lot more practice.
    Sometimes it sounds like one big mess..

Let me know what you think.
    Last edited by aevitas; 2013-01-21 at 01:56 PM.
    Draenor EU: Archavious - Level 120 Warlock ; Loaen - Level 120 Demon Hunter ; Arathia - Level 120 Paladin ; Mitosis - Level 110 Priest ; Toreck - Level 110 Hunter ; Aeralinde - Level 110 Mage ; Crikey - Level 110 Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by aevitas View Post
    Somehow deleted my post earlier...

Thanks for the awesome feedback! Ill definately try out the things you suggested.

Is there any reason to try it on a PC DJ setup? Or should I stick to Traktor 2 with the mix deck?

I have tested a bit on the things you suggested and I've uploaded the outcome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Bd9p...ature=youtu.be

It are 2 recordings in a row, I basically only recorded the track transition and then fast forward the songs to the end so I could put in the next song.

At the start I play S-Dee music is and I let Hour Of The Night start at the point you suggested, turned off the bass from the first song and the low/high frequencies which put down the bass even more (felt like it, anyway).

A bit later I fast forward Hour Of The Night to the point I wanted to let Steam Train start, unfortunately Hour Of The Night stopped earlier so it did not feel like a natural transition...

After that I tried the same thing with Omegatypez - Digital Revolutions swapping to Da Bootleggers - Bitches & Ho's which didn't sound too great.

The next recording is swapping Frontliner Halos to Scope DJ Spark of Life..

I'm not sure if this technique works on all tracks, but it will require a lot more practice.
    Sometimes it sounds like one big mess..

Let me know what you think.
    I'll check out the recent mixes when I finish work. But a *huge* part of being a good dj is having a good, pre-designed set, but being flexible with it. If you're aware that two songs will sound terrible to mix together, put in a gateway song or extended sample to continue blending. Even look for alternative remixes that slot into your set more effectively.

Since you already have an ear for what songs should go together, start working on creating an orderly list in your head. Say song A is my starter. Song B is the ending. Song C is the floor filler. Now you just need to make a path from A-C-B. Try to think what you believe will contribute most effectively to the list.

Try to create a mood with your set list - is it going to start slow then kick hard in the middle and chill towards the end, is it going to start big, drop in the middle and then hype up again towards the end? Etc etc.

Keep up the good work regardless.

Addendum:

Ok, just keep working on the beat matching and start looking at your song's balances. You might want to work on the fade transitions; when you introduce a new base, you have to cut off the treble/highs and slowly raise it, while lowering the other song's and trade the audio with one and the other. Also, picking out key points when to swap makes a huge difference. If you have extended versions of the song, make use of isolated bass rhythms, with less highs/mids going over the top.

A major problem is the version of the song in use - they sound like cut/edited versions, that really won't support mixing. Use these versions of Hour of the Night and S-Dee Music instead:

Pick a point from 4:17 onwards to start the transition

complete transition to this by the 0:20~0:25 mark.

It gives about 20 seconds of run-in before the highs/mids/vocals kick in, which is the time you need to have the previous song disappearing at (also known as an end-zone mix). To drop a song in with the cuts you were using originally, you would need to be able to completely remove the bass from the previous song and just drop it in, as you said it was just to abrupt/unnatural. Most DJs will only use the Club/Extended/Full versions of songs for their mixes.

This may help you:

Last edited by Shinzai; 2013-01-22 at 12:39 AM.

Ok I guess everything is learned by failing hard at first.

I had the exact same songs as you linked, I only have full versions because they are longer indeed..

I have no idea why, but I started playing songs way too late.. I usually started with at some point which had bass, never really tested the beginning.. I just tested what you explained on about 6 songs in a row and my god.. It sounds SO much better now!

Obviously I have a lot of learning to do. I also tried to figure out what this "S" and "Q" option is (near the main volume button on traktor". I learned that it's "Quantize" and "Snap". My english is quite good but in this English explanation of what it EXACTLY does there are just too many words I just never... use.

What got my attention was "TIP: Both quantize and SYNC have essentially quantized the songs to each other making all beat jumps stay perfectly in time. This is very beneficial if you have a live mix playing on the speakers and need to jump to a new part of the song. With quantize on all timeline jumps will stay perfectly in time and the crowd will never miss a beat.", turned it on and for some reason the bass appears to be on sync almost all the time, beatmatching for dummies..?

http://www.djtechtools.com/2011/10/2...-in-traktor-2/

Anyway, I can't look forward to tomorrow so I can start mixing again! Once I am satisfied I shall upload it for you to listen if I'm doing it right.

I really appriciate your help, I have posted my mixes on many forums but you have by far been the best help I've had so far!
    Last edited by aevitas; 2013-01-23 at 02:02 AM.

Well I'm getting kind of frustrated now.

I've spent yesterday and a few hours today making a tracklist myself (personal top 15 of 2012). I was having a hell of a job figuring out in what order they should be. I don't mind that it takes a lot of time, cause just doing something random sure as hell wont work.

What I am being frustrated about is that I cannot seem to be able to filter out "kicks". Putting off the bass + treble doesn't work. But if I turn off MID the sound is almost completely gone which means I may aswell turn off the sound of the new track Im playing just to slam it in at the right point. Which doesn't sound great, so that's not an option.

The kicks I am talking about are the kicks you hear at the very beginning of this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MuzHcImsE4

In some songs, this kick is so soft that I dont even have to turn anything lower as the bass completely masks it. But kicks like these you can clearly hear through the bass of another song and I have no clue how to filter them out..

Any idea? :/

Well I'm getting kind of frustrated now.

I've spent yesterday and a few hours today making a tracklist myself (personal top 15 of 2012). I was having a hell of a job figuring out in what order they should be. I don't mind that it takes a lot of time, cause just doing something random sure as hell wont work.

What I am being frustrated about is that I cannot seem to be able to filter out "kicks". Putting off the bass + treble doesn't work. But if I turn off MID the sound is almost completely gone which means I may aswell turn off the sound of the new track Im playing just to slam it in at the right point. Which doesn't sound great, so that's not an option.

The kicks I am talking about are the kicks you hear at the very beginning of this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MuzHcImsE4

In some songs, this kick is so soft that I dont even have to turn anything lower as the bass completely masks it. But kicks like these you can clearly hear through the bass of another song and I have no clue how to filter them out..

Any idea? :/
    Sometimes it's literally impossible to fully remove a bass rhythm or treble or whatever. If you really want to use a song, you have to figure out how to drop it into another song. This comes down to nothing more than pure experimentation and practice.

For Blutonium Boy, try this:

Rather than trying to remove anything, transition abruptly from Titan - Hour of the Night at 3:57

And just drop Blutonium Boy - Make it Loud suddenly, starting at 0:26, without stopping Hour of the Night.

Both the explosion effects should coincide and it'll sound pretty fucking awesome. Remember that you don't have to start at the start of a song, just find a point that'll mix well with your current song. With the above timings, you don't even have to try and mix, just get the beats kind of synced and it sounds great, the next song starting before the first is even played out.

I found some handy, if basic videos explaining more about transitions and given it's quite hard to explain it all through text, I'll try and use as many as I can find:

http://www.ehow.co.uk/video_4950227_...ransition.html
    http://www.ehow.co.uk/video_4950220_...n-between.html
    http://www.ehow.co.uk/video_4950218_...th-out-dj.html

There's a bunch of other videos by the same guy there and they're fairly decent. Remember, it really doesn't have to sound perfect, just good.

Edit: The specific time based links for youtube don't seem to be showing up for me, not sure if it'll link to when I set it.
    Last edited by Shinzai; 2013-01-25 at 07:00 PM.

First of all I have not listened to your recordings(yet), so anything I write from now on is just basics, Hardstyle / Raw Hardstyle is the furthest style from what I myself enjoy and play.

Only time I really have a pre planed set is when I actually want to make a proper mix cd. Once you know your record/music collection well enough there really is no need for it, so learn your music collection, it gives you flexibility, what I mean is this, I got around 2500 vinyls(and many many 1000s of tunes bought from sites like beatport), and I know most of them like the back of my hand, this means I got loads of choices, it doesn't matter what track I got playing, I will have at least 10 tracks that works with the first one and I can take the set in different directions, I might want to infuse some more energy into the set, or take it down a notch(to build it up again later), or just keep the groove going.

Anyone can mix the top 20 tracks together, what sets a great DJ apart from the rest imo are things like track selection, be original, you know that bomb tune that everyone els overlooked? You got that tune! Flow and build up, my first real gigs was as a warm up DJ and I would have been chased off the decks had I banged out the 20 biggest tunes during the warm up. A great set(and night out in a great club) is a journey, it goes from point a, stops at point b(for a can of redbull and a hotroll ;P) and ends at point c... think of it as making love, first you have the foreplay, then you work it, and eventually the both of you reach climax, you don't just thrust it in and bang away(thats fucking, not luuuve making). That instinctive feeling, this is something you can practise but I'd say this is more a gift of mother nature then anything, some people just have this in their blood, they were just born for it, what I'm talking about is that natural flow, the know-how of how a dancefloor works, you should be able to play filler stuff in a set without killing it, knowing when and what tune to drop to get maximum effect out of it. As far as mixing skills goes, you don't have to be Danny Howells, he could mix polka and hardstyle and still make it flow ;P. But you should be able to tone mix, beat match etc, a DJ that trainwrecks a simple 4:4 beat mix is embarresing.

My buddy and one of my favorite DJs, Des have built his entire career on his ability to rock a party, he's literally never produced and made much music, he's been booked to play pretty much every club worth it's salt(in the world) based on his DJing alone, he is a fucking maniac though, the amount of time he's spent looking for records would put the most overworked chinese factory worker to shame, it's (more then) a fulltime job going through every single house and techno release, but his original sets has put him apart from the rest, the mixes, the loudness and the dynamics of the way he spins without interupting the flow.

I'll try to find it in me to listen to the links later, kind of hate hardstyle though, I'm a house and techno junkie(see my sig for a fave producer) ;P

ps. I've been DJing for 13-14 years, put on my own parties(great way to start out, mixing records in the livingroom/bedroom is one thing, playing in club something totally different) and played alongside some of my personal favorites.

Also network, network, network, it's so important.
    Last edited by Jackmoves; 2013-01-25 at 08:36 PM.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

Wow thanks for all the replies again! Ill definately practice a lot again.

@ Jackmoves: I definately would love to become a DJ such as your friend. Being able to rock parties without having to produce songs. I want to learn how to make songs some day, but time is limited right now pretty much.

Once I finish a mix or 2 ill link them here !

Another question:

The speakerset I'm using are giving problems aswell. Whenever I play music (especially while trying to mix), the quality is just shit. It feels like it's not able to handle the amount of stuff going on.

They're not connected with the standard cable (which are 3 jacks, a green/black/yellow iirc), but they're connected with an RCA cable (red/white in the subwoover, red white into the Numark Mixtrack Pro). Could it be a faulty cable or is it because I'm using a 5.1 speakerset?

The speakerset in question is a Logitech Z506.

As I'm buying a house I'm considering to use my current speakerset to plug in the television in the living room. I've heard that for DJing the best speakersets are actually 2.1 sets (or just 2 speakers? can't remember). Does any of you know of affordable speakersets that are perfect for these kind of things?

I just hope they also work properly for gaming and stuff...

I've looked around by myself and I noticed the M-Audio Studiophile AV40 MKII speaker, which is a set of 2. Not very expensive either, 120 ish euro or something.
    Last edited by aevitas; 2013-01-27 at 03:13 PM.

Wow thanks for all the replies again! Ill definately practice a lot again.

@ Jackmoves: I definately would love to become a DJ such as your friend. Being able to rock parties without having to produce songs. I want to learn how to make songs some day, but time is limited right now pretty much.

Once I finish a mix or 2 ill link them here !

Another question:

The speakerset I'm using are giving problems aswell. Whenever I play music (especially while trying to mix), the quality is just shit. It feels like it's not able to handle the amount of stuff going on.

They're not connected with the standard cable (which are 3 jacks, a green/black/yellow iirc), but they're connected with an RCA cable (red/white in the subwoover, red white into the Numark Mixtrack Pro). Could it be a faulty cable or is it because I'm using a 5.1 speakerset?

The speakerset in question is a Logitech Z506.

As I'm buying a house I'm considering to use my current speakerset to plug in the television in the living room. I've heard that for DJing the best speakersets are actually 2.1 sets (or just 2 speakers? can't remember). Does any of you know of affordable speakersets that are perfect for these kind of things?

I just hope they also work properly for gaming and stuff...

I've looked around by myself and I noticed the M-Audio Studiophile AV40 MKII speaker, which is a set of 2. Not very expensive either, 120 ish euro or something.
    Yeah, the speakers you have atm won't be particularly good for music at all. Just get a really solid 2.1 or 2.0 setup, with a focus on clarity and power. The M-Audio set you mention will probably be a gigantic leap in sheer quality for music. With a 5.1 setup, you have to spend a lot more money than you ever would on a 2.0/2.1 setup for the same performance/price ratio.

After spending almost all evening and deep into the night (until 05:30... damn it) trying to figure out what speakerset to get on forums/reading reviews etc etc I finally decided to call the shop to give me advice.

Thank god I was going in the right direction, they suggested the same speakers I was thinking of.

It are these:

http://www.bax-shop.nl/dj-studio-mon...t-details.html

Does anyone have experience with them?

(Dutch website, sorry for that)

Too bad I can't afford them right now, better start saving.
    Last edited by aevitas; 2013-01-28 at 12:50 PM.

Pfft, finally managed to finish one mix. I must've made a 100 recordings before I was almost satisfied, this one has one or 2 mistakes in it but overal I like it pretty much.

Once again, any critism and/or tips are welcome! I ordered those new speakers I spoke of earlier, they should be arriving today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIJje...ature=youtu.be

I also desperately need a new program to convert my mp3 audio recording to something youtube will accept (I basically have to add a picture to it). AVS Video Editor rapes the quality and adds the banner as you can see and windows movie maker is not so great.. Any suggestions?

Pfft, finally managed to finish one mix. I must've made a 100 recordings before I was almost satisfied, this one has one or 2 mistakes in it but overal I like it pretty much.

Once again, any critism and/or tips are welcome! I ordered those new speakers I spoke of earlier, they should be arriving today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIJje...ature=youtu.be

I also desperately need a new program to convert my mp3 audio recording to something youtube will accept (I basically have to add a picture to it). AVS Video Editor rapes the quality and adds the banner as you can see and windows movie maker is not so great.. Any suggestions?
    Much better mixing this time around, a couple of transitions weren't perfect as you mentioned, but you could safely drop this in a club on an amateur, or try out night and have people on the dancefloor and staying there.

I particularly liked track 05~06 transition, while rough around the edges, it was two excellently matched songs and a great peak for the set. 08~09 and 09~10 were particularly clean mixes as well. Just keep practising, trying out things and refining the transitions and you've pretty much got the basics down.

Here's a couple more handy links, one for putting together a mix and mastering it:

http://audio.tutsplus.com/tutorials/...ring-a-dj-set/

And more on live d'jing:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/introduci...yourliveset/?2

Wow, I am satisfied now! Glad you liked it.

Actually since my last remix I have spent a TON of time trying to get the right tracklist... Many people think it's just grabbing some numbers and mixing, but this tracklist has changed atleast 20 times I think. I'm finally feeling like I progressed, and seeing this M-Audio BX5 D2 studio monitor set infront of me right now is making me want to start producing/mixing even more!

Unfortunately havent been able to test them yet, waiting for my cables to arrive and people are asleep right now. Ill check out your links!

Also props to you for sticking to my thread for this long, you've been the biggest help I've had so far and for this I would like to thank you once more.

Damn, started producing 2 or 3 days ago and still trying to get a proper kick.. This is really, really hard actually haha!

Using FL Studio 10.. Tried to follow a few guides but it never goes well unfortunately..

10+ Year Old Account
    Damn, started producing 2 or 3 days ago and still trying to get a proper kick.. This is really, really hard actually haha!

Using FL Studio 10.. Tried to follow a few guides but it never goes well unfortunately..
    If you've never had formal training in music theory, producing is going to feel like smashing your face into a brick wall at first. I'm not saying it can't be done (it has, and is all the time) but an understanding of what you are trying to do really helps a lot. As far as producing goes, it takes a lot of time before you get something that you like. I've been at it for a few months and I have so much to learn still (though college has slowed it down significantly). It's very unlikely that you're going to make anything that you really like for awhile. Maybe you learn very fast and you will have some tunes out within a month or so that you like, but I would give it at least half a year before you start making anything that you really like.

It's all about how much time you can sink into it. Also I would recommend getting massive as a synth if you can afford it. There is a lot you can do with basic FL synths, but massive is a really powerful synth.

Quote Originally Posted by Isrozzis View Post
    If you've never had formal training in music theory, producing is going to feel like smashing your face into a brick wall at first. I'm not saying it can't be done (it has, and is all the time) but an understanding of what you are trying to do really helps a lot. As far as producing goes, it takes a lot of time before you get something that you like. I've been at it for a few months and I have so much to learn still (though college has slowed it down significantly). It's very unlikely that you're going to make anything that you really like for awhile. Maybe you learn very fast and you will have some tunes out within a month or so that you like, but I would give it at least half a year before you start making anything that you really like.

It's all about how much time you can sink into it. Also I would recommend getting massive as a synth if you can afford it. There is a lot you can do with basic FL synths, but massive is a really powerful synth.
    Yeah, I figured this is really really going to be a time sink. I'm still trying to figure out how to get this kick proper, still sounds distorted like hell (in a bad way).

My GF (damn, so lucky with her!) found some DJ workshop kind of thing next sunday here in Holland called Dancefair which has many known DJs (B-Front and Frontliner from the hardstyle scene, Endymion from the hardstyle scene and people like Laidback Luke, Vato Gonzalez & Nicky Romero just to name a few).

I really hope I can learn something from it, they'll give demonstrations and show off gear and stuff. Reading on this producing stuff is very overwhelming right now though.. Especially because I have to read something 3 times before I THINK I understand it, not very known with the therms yet.

What does this Massive exactly do?

EDIT: Working on my third raw mix by the way! Managed to create an absolute kick-ass tracklist, contains Lady Faith - Queen Bitch Of The Universe in the middle again, I just really love the climax in that song. I'm not sure if raw is the right work in-fact. This one is going to be really, really hard.

I edited my signature it now has a direct link to my facebook/twitter page.. Any likes or followers could help, not going fast so far.. Just my gf supporting me really, haha.

You should start (if you aren't already) counting to the beat. 1, 2, 3, 4, 1, 2, 3, 4, etc.

You should also start producing a bit to understand the structures of tracks better so you will know when and when not to do something in your mix. FL Studio is an easy way to get started. I use Logic Studio myself so I can't help you much there, but it's a rather simple DAW.

Quote Originally Posted by Rampant Rabbit View Post
    You should start (if you aren't already) counting to the beat. 1, 2, 3, 4, 1, 2, 3, 4, etc.

You should also start producing a bit to understand the structures of tracks better so you will know when and when not to do something in your mix. FL Studio is an easy way to get started. I use Logic Studio myself so I can't help you much there, but it's a rather simple DAW.
    Thanks for the tip.
    I'm sure working on it, but I'm still working on getting a proper kick... I ended up starting over again but I got stuck again, it sounds aweful now..

Maybe ill move on and start building a track just for testing, I can get back to that kick later. Also got to learn how to make leads and stuff now...

Tomorrow the dancefair, hope I learn some stuff there!