1. #1

    Blanket Silence and Monk OP?

    So I'm confused. Blizzard said they were removing blanket silence and then added a 8 second AOE silence to monks who already get a 4 second blanket silence if they interrupt from the front. Not to mention they have a stun lock that you cannot trinket. How will this be remotely balanced? I know monks need buffs from live, but they will be the new warrior in 5.2 with that amount of cc.

  2. #2
    Mechagnome kleinlax21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Austin & Houston, Texas
    Posts
    612
    Quote Originally Posted by Highmoon7 View Post
    So I'm confused. Blizzard said they were removing blanket silence and then added a 8 second AOE silence to monks who already get a 4 second blanket silence if they interrupt from the front. Not to mention they have a stun lock that you cannot trinket. How will this be remotely balanced? I know monks need buffs from live, but they will be the new warrior in 5.2 with that amount of cc.
    Don't forget DK's are having our silence's cooldown reduced down to 1 minute from 2.

    The reason that is an 8-second silence is because you can run in/out of it at any time. It's pretty avoidable, after the intial place,end at least. I'm inclined to think that it's OP, but I guess we will have to wait and see how it turns out on live. The reason for this change is that they felt Monks weren't good enough to incentivize players who already have a geared lvl 90 to re-roll. Monks were below Rogues in Arena representation, and it wasn't due to them being underpowered; it was because nobody plays them yet. Blizz wants to get their numbers up, and this is how they have chosen to do so.
    Armories: Death Knight / Paladin
    Quote Originally Posted by Regennis View Post
    Stop dating strippers.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZRebellion View Post
    Kleinlax21 who is on your 'side' had no problem doing so.He also doesn't need to attack me in literally every sentence he types.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by kleinlax21 View Post
    Don't forget DK's are having our silence's cooldown reduced down to 1 minute from 2.

    The reason that is an 8-second silence is because you can run in/out of it at any time.
    As it is now on the ptr, you can cast it on an opponent. They are stuck in the middle and it moves as they move. Unavoidable for the target.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Highmoon7 View Post
    As it is now on the ptr, you can cast it on an opponent. They are stuck in the middle and it moves as they move. Unavoidable for the target.
    That's a fair point in 1vs1, but remember the game is balanced around 3s.
    It's totally different, in 3vs3 you have many ways to avoid it... let me just rattle some off my head :

    (assume they're on the healer I think is the main concern)
    Spriest : Grip healer out
    Warrior: Shockwave (usable when Disarmed and silence) on the monk, healer has plenty of time to get out.
    Death-Knight: Grip monk away
    Druid: Cyclone has a range, so use it outside and once he's cycloned the effect doesnt work anymore.
    Also druids can push them away whoever they're tunnelling on.
    Hunter: Explosive trap to africa
    Pretty much every caster (again assume they're on the healer) can root from range, or throw out a Death coil, send him other way - you're healers gone.

    The only class I can see having a problem is possibly rogue comps, but then again... Most rogue comps consist of Mage, Lock and hunters. And possibly rets... but then again who plays ret in 3vs3 anyway.

    Edit: The 4 second silence you talked about can be easily avoided by positioning aswell, diagonal strafing and it does not work.

    OT: Before flamed at for backing up Monks and what not... I play a Frost DK
    i require ham.

  5. #5
    Mechagnome kleinlax21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Austin & Houston, Texas
    Posts
    612
    Quote Originally Posted by Highmoon7 View Post
    As it is now on the ptr, you can cast it on an opponent. They are stuck in the middle and it moves as they move. Unavoidable for the target.
    Oh wow, did not know that! Definitely more skeptical now, but still.. I guess we will see? I don't know what else to say other than I need to have some firsthand experience facing the ability to be able to make any sort of objective analysis.

    One thing is that I can't wait for my allies in Random BG's to run over to me while this is cast on them; like "HEY MAN! Here's a silence for ya buddy! Thanks for the heals! ". lol I can see it now & the laughs will be glorious.
    Armories: Death Knight / Paladin
    Quote Originally Posted by Regennis View Post
    Stop dating strippers.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZRebellion View Post
    Kleinlax21 who is on your 'side' had no problem doing so.He also doesn't need to attack me in literally every sentence he types.

  6. #6
    Monks still get to keep their gag order "missed my interrupt np silenced anyway" effect on Spear Hand Strike too.

    The class is weak but that doesn't warrant retarded mechanics.

  7. #7
    Titan apepi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Mostly harmless
    Posts
    11,133
    First off RoP and Solar Beam is not a blanket silence. A blanket silence is an interrupt that also silences. Solar beam and RoP is an Aoe silence, the dk silence is just a silence....

    Also the spear hand silence is not easy to get you have to be in melee range facing the target so it is preventative. I have mixed feelings about it, I would rather blizzard take off the blanket silence and blizzard give us another utility spell to replace it.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    First off RoP and Solar Beam is not a blanket silence. A blanket silence is an interrupt that also silences. Solar beam and RoP is an Aoe silence, the dk silence is just a silence....

    Also the spear hand silence is not easy to get you have to be in melee range facing the target so it is preventative. I have mixed feelings about it, I would rather blizzard take off the blanket silence and blizzard give us another utility spell to replace it.
    I don't think "blanket" means what you think it means.

    blan·ket
    /ˈblaNGkit/

    Adjective
    Covering all cases or instances; total and inclusive.

    Solar Beam and RoP are the definition of a blanket silence.

  9. #9
    Titan apepi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Mostly harmless
    Posts
    11,133
    Quote Originally Posted by Tya View Post
    I don't think "blanket" means what you think it means.

    blan·ket
    /ˈblaNGkit/

    Adjective
    Covering all cases or instances; total and inclusive.

    Solar Beam and RoP are the definition of a blanket silence.
    Yes but it they were originally just interrupts(I think mage one was first?) the they started out giving people silences hence they would not need to interrupt hence it is a blanket silence(maybe because noobs got juked?)

    In your terms every silence would be a blanket silence.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuhnai123 View Post
    (assume they're on the healer I think is the main concern)
    Spriest : Grip healer out
    Warrior: Shockwave (usable when Disarmed and silence) on the monk, healer has plenty of time to get out.
    Death-Knight: Grip monk away
    Druid: Cyclone has a range, so use it outside and once he's cycloned the effect doesnt work anymore.
    Also druids can push them away whoever they're tunnelling on.
    Hunter: Explosive trap to africa
    Pretty much every caster (again assume they're on the healer) can root from range, or throw out a Death coil, send him other way - you're healers gone.
    K
    And if it goes live with the ability to be cast on enemies, then the monk can just cast it on the healer himself and leave him in a 8 second silence with absolutely no way to get out of it since the Ring will be generated around the priest and will go wherever he goes.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    Yes but it they were originally just interrupts(I think mage one was first?) the they started out giving people silences hence they would not need to interrupt hence it is a blanket silence(maybe because noobs got juked?)

    In your terms every silence would be a blanket silence.
    The term blanket silence was used to describe a silence would cover over the mistake of a failed interrupt like a "blanket" producing the same result of a locked down caster. In many cases though the silence was superior to the interrupt because it locked down all schools rather than just the one provided by the interrupt.

    Though given their war on silences following gag order nerf I do wonder just why they want to put this into the game. Currently no silence lasts as long 8 sec not even single target ones. yet this is aoe and follows the targeted player around.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuhnai123 View Post
    That's a fair point in 1vs1, but remember the game is balanced around 3s.
    It's totally different, in 3vs3 you have many ways to avoid it... let me just rattle some off my head :

    (assume they're on the healer I think is the main concern)
    Spriest : Grip healer out
    Warrior: Shockwave (usable when Disarmed and silence) on the monk, healer has plenty of time to get out.
    Death-Knight: Grip monk away
    Druid: Cyclone has a range, so use it outside and once he's cycloned the effect doesnt work anymore.
    Also druids can push them away whoever they're tunnelling on.
    Hunter: Explosive trap to africa
    Pretty much every caster (again assume they're on the healer) can root from range, or throw out a Death coil, send him other way - you're healers gone.

    The only class I can see having a problem is possibly rogue comps, but then again... Most rogue comps consist of Mage, Lock and hunters. And possibly rets... but then again who plays ret in 3vs3 anyway.

    Edit: The 4 second silence you talked about can be easily avoided by positioning aswell, diagonal strafing and it does not work.

    OT: Before flamed at for backing up Monks and what not... I play a Frost DK
    You apparently aren't even able to understand what this is all about. The monk can cast RoP on ENEMY targets. So he could just put the debuff onto the enemy healer and there wouldn't be a damn anyone could do about it for the next 8 seconds. It is completly unavoidable as it currently is and unless they changed it you can't trinket it either.

    Just keep your burst cd's. Start tunneling the healer, put RoP on him and he can't do a damn for 8 seconds and any kind of melee peel would be useless as they can't do anything inside the Rop and once Rop expires you'd still have stuns/fears/interrupts and so on.

  13. #13
    Stood in the Fire Wootylicious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Middle Of Nowhere, Finland
    Posts
    489
    rop is the biggest brain fart ever to come out of pvp devs.

  14. #14
    Smoke bomb + Rop, you'll never see your healer come outside that.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Wootylicious View Post
    rop is the biggest brain fart ever to come out of pvp devs.
    haha yes it is a brain fart and as a WW (and MW) monk i would have fun with RoP but i do NOT want to see it go live in its current state its appalling (fun but appalling).

    however i still think the biggest brain fart by the devs was the ever immortal SL/SL locks i will never forget them or even to a lesser extent the near immortal DK nucular bombs and ''raise ally as undead'' in s5 (part of it for raise ally as it was hotfixed think it was s5 anyway)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •