Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Lei Shi as a BrM

Hey guys, tonight my guild hit up Lei Shi for the first time (/cheer!) But unfortunately only had about 20 minutes of raid time left, so we had 2 attempts and i found a few things.

1. Spray cant be staggered
    2. Spray is the only offensive ability she does
    3. the fuck?

So when i first went in, and started taking a ton of damage pretty quick, wont lie, panicked xD I tried popping guard around 7 stacks, then DM when that ended, outside of that, does anyone have any ideas that might help my guild with our first kill? I considered swapping trinkets from agil to stamina, and changing my agility / crit meta to a stam / -2 spell damage taken, whatcha think?

Any help is much appreciated!

She does more damage the lower her health is. You want to typically swap tanks at 6 stacks of her debuff (can be like 10 early on).

Take diffuse magic and glyph of zen meditiation. - Try to only use these during the time that the other tank is tanking the adds (while she has her bubble up).

You can stagger the small adds damage and elusive brew will actually be of help.

Totally don't need to change trinkets or meta gem, but you can if you want.
    Computer: Intel I7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM | AMD 7970 GHz @ 1200/1600 | ASUS Z77-V PRO Mobo|

Deleted
    Are you struggling with her normal damage output? Only times I found it to be somewhat overwhelming was during add phase or sub 20%. There's not that much to do against it I'm afraid, just make sure to taunt properly. I tanked it just fine with my normal gear.
    Keep diffuse magic/zen meditate for add phases imo, when you're not tanking adds. Elusive brew, shuffle and leg sweep are mighty convenient on them; so is xuen if you don't CC them. I'd suggest keeping bloodlust for the last add phase (20%) and try and get out of that asap. A dead tank near end on this fight isn't rare for a first kill I can imagine. Also don't forget to keep using expel harm and chi wave if you're having issues surviving, shuffle isn't needed on boss herself since it does nothing. And glyph guard!

Yeah, headache of a fight.

AS she casts faster the lower her health gets, you'll get more splash stacks before the other tank can taunt. And taunt as soon as stacks wear off.

The add phase should be the only troublesome bit. Note that these aren't random like the rest, but come every 20%, and do 3 adds the first 2 times and 4 the last 2 times.
    As that phase starts, a tank should taunt with zero stacks up and tank the boss through. For boss tank it's important not to get aggro from adds. Especially for a monk tank. on adds, they should be ccd, with only one tanked. It hits hard, so elusive brew is good. Fortifying brew too as it's not so effective for the boss. Just the one add is single targeted down then they all despawn. Fear, bind elemental, roots etc all work I think.and stuns. Keep it stunned as much as you can.

I trend to try to be on boss if I can. Diffuse is great, zen med as long as you don't have an add on you. Guard (glyphed a per above), use it when at like 10 our so on add phase, or when healing starts to look tough.

stam is the only gear that helps vs magic, so if you have a trinket or two, as well as stam food and flask, it'll help. There is a spell damage reduction meta gem, which is an option (i wouldn't for just one fight)

Note that when boss bubbles in add phase you can't jab for chi for your guard, so go in with enough chi for that. As you don't need shuffle for boss, that may also change your priorities. Chi brew maybe. Xuen also doesn't hit in this phase. (was going to see if he could tank for a bit).

It's a troublesome fight for sure.

It's not just Brewmasters, most of the tank mechanics don't work on Spray. Chalk it up to interesting and dynamic fight design.

Monks are definitely one of the best tanks on this encounter if you can play the class properly.

- Crazy heals with Chi wave which also detect Lei shi when she hides if you're close enough - or simply takes her out of it faster because it bounces so many times.
    - Two CD's that more or less making you immune to her attacks for ~4-5 seconds depending on when you use zen meditation (it only works for 5 casts not it full duration)
    Line above also results in crazy amounts of vengeance which makes your guard absorb insane amounts if you can time it correctly.

And the only class with spam-able self heal using a resource that never ends and doesn't need to hit a target for it to work (when adds come for example)

Spam healing spheres on yourself!

Shuffle is completely useless so don't bother using BoK unless you don't have anything else to do.

Lol. Healing sphere. Will have to try that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Spamming Healing Sphere is about the only thing to do for this fight, especially during add phase while tanking the boss. We do, at least, have more alternatives then most other tanks at the very least. Something not mentioned is to glyph guard- 10% extra damage absorbed will add up. You can also cast Zen Meditation and get the full 99% damage reduction- VERY useful during add phase while tanking the boss if the stacks get too high, its the most powerful tank cooldown for this in the game.

But yea, the only useful Chi abilities are Guard and the lvl 30 talents. Heh, next patch, youll only be able to "mitigate" using guard for chi, since the lvl 30 talents will be free. Of course, you do have to maintain threat, but still. TP, Keg Smash every 30 seconds, Guard, healing sphere spammage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

15+ Year Old Account
    Chi Wave on CD, because Shuffle doesn't matter and you won't be PB'ing anything the boss does.

When she bubbles, if you're on her, and you need some Chi to put Guard up, blast the add that's being focussed with CJL. The Chi generation on it is actually rather decent now, and you won't need to move at all. Get Chi for your Guard, then spam Spheres on yourself.

Zen Meditation will absorb 5 casts on you, because the boss doesn't hit you with melee. Use it if you reckon you're in trouble, it's essentially around 5 sec of total invulnerability on this fight.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakthir90 View Post
    So when i first went in, and started taking a ton of damage pretty quick, wont lie, panicked xD I tried popping guard around 7 stacks, then DM when that ended, outside of that, does anyone have any ideas that might help my guild with our first kill? I considered swapping trinkets from agil to stamina, and changing my agility / crit meta to a stam / -2 spell damage taken, whatcha think?

Any help is much appreciated!
    The debuff has a fairly short duration, so it's a good idea to switch very often. Your co-tank should taunt as soon as their debuff has reset, so you end up switching every 10-13 seconds or so. It is possible to taunt her during the add phase if it's necessary too.

If you lose a tank, it's possible for non-tanks with a taunt to tank her for long enough for the tank to reset their stack.

You can use the Guard glyphe as well.
    13/13

Monk

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Try to align tank swaps around Lei Shis bubble phase (ie, if a 20% interval is coming up and tank 1 is at 6 stacks, don't taunt off until the adds spawn, tank 2 taunt boss with 0 stacks and tank 1 will taunt the one add). The tank that has threat during this period will be getting high stacks of the debuff spray so that tank should be calling out for CDs (pain sups, sacs, cocoons and the like). This is the only challenging part of the encounter and your healers will only be focusing on the two tanks (if anyone else is taking damage, then it's poor execution). The add tank typically doesn't really dip much holding threat on one add so the healer focus should be more on the Lei Shi tank.

Deleted
    Use Chi Wave on CD instead of BoK, kite adds with Kegs and you shouldn't take any damage.
    I feel like this fight is way easier for BrM's.

Deleted
    If you have problems with tank-swapping in the add phase the Roll-glyph is pretty handy as well.

Lei Shi, the best boss there has ever been

/sarcasm

Deleted
    Some thing that hasn't been mentioned which I like to do is drop leg sweep and take Deadly Reach, our CC works on the adds and one more CC is always nice. Also when we do it on 25 man, we use our WW monks to taunt and soak on every adds phase so the tank has time to reset stacks it really really reduces the damage going out during the add phase.

As for people telling you not to both using BoK, I don't agree with that, yes shuffle is useless but you still have to consider that a) doing more dps is always a benefit to the raid b) you statue will continue to put shields on the raid and more importantly the other tank, which benefit from glyph and helps alot. You will have more chi than you know what to do with anyway so makes sense to use it on something, on that note I would recommend using Ascension if you are not already as this allows for significantly more Expel Harm (if you proc ofc) and Healing Orb usage.

This fight has a fair amount of RNG in it, so you will see some fights where the tanks take alot of damage sub 20% and some fights where you get some nice "Hide" and "Get Away" phases that allow your tanks to reset stacks regularly and effectively mean you take very little damage. If you do find you are getting pumped sub 20% then you can use a dps to taunt and soak if they have sufficient CD's. Our first kill I think we had no tanks left and the raid just spread out and dropped one at a time untill the boss was dead.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valient View Post
    Some thing that hasn't been mentioned which I like to do is drop leg sweep and take Deadly Reach, our CC works on the adds and one more CC is always nice. Also when we do it on 25 man, we use our WW monks to taunt and soak on every adds phase so the tank has time to reset stacks it really really reduces the damage going out during the add phase.

As for people telling you not to both using BoK, I don't agree with that, yes shuffle is useless but you still have to consider that a) doing more dps is always a benefit to the raid b) you statue will continue to put shields on the raid and more importantly the other tank, which benefit from glyph and helps alot. You will have more chi than you know what to do with anyway so makes sense to use it on something, on that note I would recommend using Ascension if you are not already as this allows for significantly more Expel Harm (if you proc ofc) and Healing Orb usage.

This fight has a fair amount of RNG in it, so you will see some fights where the tanks take alot of damage sub 20% and some fights where you get some nice "Hide" and "Get Away" phases that allow your tanks to reset stacks regularly and effectively mean you take very little damage. If you do find you are getting pumped sub 20% then you can use a dps to taunt and soak if they have sufficient CD's. Our first kill I think we had no tanks left and the raid just spread out and dropped one at a time untill the boss was dead.
    The point being made was not to bother with Shuffle, not BoK. As in, you BoK when you have nothing else to spend Chi on rather than constantly keeping Shuffle rolling.

Chi priority is Guard > Chi Wave > BoK. Chi Wave's damage isn't too far behind BoK, and because you SHOULD be the only person taking damage while tanking then every bounce will hit you.

Remember, the only source of raid damage is Get Away. Everything else is straight-up tank punishment.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

15+ Year Old Account
    Glyph guard, use zen meditate, defuse magic or dampen harm.

I feel BM is actually really good for this, I've taken up to like 30 stacks on heroic before. Just gotta have good comunication with your healers.

10+ Year Old Account
    She hurts!But honestly the best thing to do for her would be glyph guard and zen med. The adds should be reasonable with just your elusive brew up. But other than that we've got our diffuse magic. Preferably you could work it out with the other tank to let him/her handle Lei while adds are out since our only chi generate is Expel harm at that point. Make sure your healers have a life cocoon, pain suppress, etc. If you've absolutely got to take a lot of stacks without your cd's up. It's all about coordination!
    Last edited by Lumiair; 2013-01-22 at 06:12 PM.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunasta View Post
    She hurts!But honestly the best thing to do for her would be glyph guard and zen med. The adds should be reasonable with just your elusive brew up. But other than that we've got our diffuse magic. Preferably you could work it out with the other tank to let him/her handle Lei while adds are out since our only chi generate is avert harm at that point. Make sure your healers have a life cocoon, pain suppress, etc. If you've absolutely got to take a lot of stacks without your cd's up. It's all about coordination!
    CJL the add while you're tanking Lei Shi and I think you meant Expel Harm?