Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Protection Gear vs Retribution Gear ?

Dear MMO-Champion community,

i just got level 90 with my Paladin but i'm not sure what gear i should roll for.
    Since the prot stat priority is almost the same as the retribution one.
    Should i roll on items with mastery dodge , and reforge to haste or should i go straight for mastery haste items ?
    I already looked into the Protection guide but i couldn't find a answer.

Sincerely yours maiku.

Deleted
    Go for the Ret pieces. Though you might need a couple of high expertise prot pieces to get to the hardcap.

Deleted
    Thanks for the fast reply niai.
    But do i want the protection tier set for the set bonus ?

Take a look at Theck's continued work at http://sacredduty.net/2012/12/18/dam...s-round-three/ if you want better information. Basically, as long as you're at the hit and expertise caps and are reforging dodge and parry into haste and mastery, you're good to go. It's okay to have "balanced" gear as long as you've hit the caps.

As for the prot set bonuses, definitely go for them. They're always a gain, though not always easily quantifiable.
    Last edited by Jackielope; 2013-01-21 at 09:38 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    Noodles and chocolate milk is the breakfast of Champions.
    Super Brony Friendfinder

Deleted
    Thank you very much for that link that helped me alot . I Guess i know how to Gear up now .

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly the only Protection Gear I have is teir pieces.

All my other pieces are Retibution (Hit/Expertise/Mastery/Haste)

Deleted
    do the ret main's complain when the tank rolls on their items ?

Quote Originally Posted by maiku77 View Post
    Thank you very much for that link that helped me alot . I Guess i know how to Gear up now .
    I also recommend looking at Elitistjerks.com. Note that I say look at, not necessarily post there, because they will hand out infractions like candy if you don't follow their rules. They expect proper grammar and spelling across the board for example.

There's also http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/forum/, but it's down for me and saying there's an SQL error. Dunno if it'll give anyone else the same problems. Regardless, it's a forum dedicated mainly to paladin tanking as one might guess by the name.

Theck posts fairly regularly on both, and since he's the main guy crunching prot pally numbers the sites are good reads.

Those Rets who don't know (or can't accept) the fact that Prot likes everything but crit tend to get pissy, but most should realize by now that prot will be rolling on similar gear so they only make about the same fuss as when there's another DPS rolling on it and they want to be selfish.
    Last edited by Jackielope; 2013-01-21 at 10:14 AM.
    Super Brony Friendfinder

Quote Originally Posted by maiku77 View Post
    do the ret main's complain when the tank rolls on their items ?
    As someone who had to give my Heroic Darkmist Vortex to a prot pally: Yes.

But it's just gear, and our only other real competition for most gear is DKs, so meh.

Quote Originally Posted by Revvo View Post
    As someone who had to give my Heroic Darkmist Vortex to a prot pally: Yes.

But it's just gear, and our only other real competition for most gear is DKs, so meh.
    Darkmist to a tank? Not the best of ideas since regularity is the goal so the parry from the strength and the haste proc are a double whammy.
    Super Brony Friendfinder

Quote Originally Posted by Jackinthegreen View Post
    Darkmist to a tank? Not the best of ideas since regularity is the goal so the parry from the strength and the haste proc are a double whammy.
    It's still a fair amount of reduction, even if it is proc based. The amount of haste allows for a pretty large amount of SoTR usage.

Deleted
    It's still a fair amount of reduction, even if it is proc based. The amount of haste allows for a pretty large amount of SoTR usage.
    I don't play prot a lot since we got done with challengemodes, but I'm sure lei shens and stuff of nightmares are both better for prot.
    The problem with DMV is that the haste procc can go to waste completely on fights with tank swaps (almost every fight this tier?) and that it's on almost a 2 minute ICD.
    Last edited by mmoc3a8bcb15cd; 2013-01-21 at 10:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by niai View Post
    I don't play prot a lot since we got done with challengemodes, but I'm sure lei shens and stuff of nightmares are both better for prot.
    I'd assume it has something to do with the fact that a RNG procc to increase a RNG stat isn't very good, which is why it's extremely weird that the "tank" trinkets this tier both have the same 2 secondary stats.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

Quote Originally Posted by Drathos View Post
    I'd assume it has something to do with the fact that a RNG procc to increase a RNG stat isn't very good, which is why it's extremely weird that the "tank" trinkets this tier both have the same 2 secondary stats.
    There's also the quirk that strength gives almost as much parry as parry rating itself for plate-wearers, so traditionally DPS trinkets are getting repurposed since they can actually compete a bit. Not that parry is something to really shot for though, especially unreforgeable parry.
    Super Brony Friendfinder

The problem with DMV is that the haste procc can go to waste completely on fights with tank swaps (almost every fight this tier?) and that it's on almost a 2 minute ICD.
    Yeah, but this isn't even taking into account the huge amount of damage prot paladins already do. Adding a dps trinket that isn't too bad on mitigation isn't a terrible idea. Most likely they'll do more damage with it than a Ret unfortunately.

Yeah, but this isn't even taking into account the huge amount of damage prot paladins already do. Adding a dps trinket that isn't too bad on mitigation isn't a terrible idea. Most likely they'll do more damage with it than a Ret unfortunately.
    Especially as the ICD would co-incide with Holy Avenger if used at the beginning of the fight, and another 15% haste would be a massive burst damage boost.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Especially as the ICD would co-incide with Holy Avenger if used at the beginning of the fight, and another 15% haste would be a massive burst damage boost.
    IF holy avenger would be used on cooldown. It is way too strong to waste it during a phase where you aren't tanking or damage is generally low (vengeance would be lower anyways).

IF holy avenger would be used on cooldown. It is way too strong to waste it during a phase where you aren't tanking or damage is generally low (vengeance would be lower anyways).
    Well yeah.

Still, I dislike procc trinkets for tanking. They can be insanely strong, but if they proc just as you pass the boss on to the other tank, they might as well not be equipped at all.

Yep. RNG can be a cruel, cruel mistress.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    As a ret who tried to use DMV with 4pc I can assure you that is not possible past the first proc. The second proc may have less than 50% overlap.

The trinket procs too fast, I was having problems aligning it with 1:55 CD AW and it would be even worse with 2:00 HA.
    Last edited by mmocf5e5951073; 2013-01-21 at 12:02 PM.