what is this I don't even

Is pretty much all that goes on in my head when a melee is swinging at me. There is no way of getting a melee off myself unless I try to bait them near a cliff or hill to blow them off. I have ghostwolf glyphed but it does fuck all tbh.

Earth bind only roots once and any melee knows to trinket that off the bat since ele shams have no other way to kite. I must be bad or ele shams have zero survivability.

Any tips?

I try to get myself in good positions, rolling with the group but there are 1v1s and it's extremely hard if it's melee. If it's warrior/dk no chance in Hell.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Earthbind, Frost Shock (with or without talent), Capacitator Totem, Thunderstorm all comes to mind. Oh and of course, if it's 1vs1 then nothing's fair.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Deleted
    I know that feel bro.

Honestly I wish I had some answers for you that weren't horribly patronizing

10+ Year Old Account
    Earthbind, wait for trinket, thunderstorm, hex and run like hell to your group.
    Surrounded by idiots

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Schaapa View Post
    run like hell
    This is THE most important skill an ele shaman should have in pvp

Deleted
    Don't worry, when a melee attacks you then he expects to win every SINGLE time so don't feel bad about getting owned. As for advice, don't play elemental until 5.2.

Quote Originally Posted by pkm View Post
    Earth bind only roots once and any melee knows to trinket that off the bat since ele shams have no other way to kite. I must be bad or ele shams have zero survivability.
    If they trinket Earthbind, then it opens them up for other CC. Drop a hex on them, then put up Flame Shock and drop FE/ST. Then open with EB + LvB and try and get a capacitor stun. If you land it, pop Ascendance and try and burn them down.

It's definitely an uphill fight for elemental vs melee. If they trinket Earthbind then it does give you an advantage (small advantage but still an advantage).

Personally I think warrior/DK are easier to deal with than rogue/ret/feral (not saying its an easy fight, just easier than the others).

Quote Originally Posted by Blitond View Post
    If they trinket Earthbind, then it opens them up for other CC. Drop a hex on them, then put up Flame Shock and drop FE/ST. Then open with EB + LvB and try and get a capacitor stun. If you land it, pop Ascendance and try and burn them down.

It's definitely an uphill fight for elemental vs melee. If they trinket Earthbind then it does give you an advantage (small advantage but still an advantage).

Personally I think warrior/DK are easier to deal with than rogue/ret/feral (not saying its an easy fight, just easier than the others).
    none of these classes will waste a trinket on a earth bind, and if they do they are just playing badly. Whats the point because each and every1 of these classes has a way to break your snare or has a way to imobilize u from range if u do manage to get some kind of distance away.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SamoTray View Post
    none of these classes will waste a trinket on a earth bind, and if they do they are just playing badly. Whats the point because each and every1 of these classes has a way to break your snare or has a way to imobilize u from range if u do manage to get some kind of distance away.
    In a perfect world they wouldn't waste the trinket but, reading between the lines, the OP is talking about random BG's. In which case you may find that players will trinket just about anything.

Some of the melee aren't as susceptible to snares as they are to roots. Warriors, for all their mobility, can be handled through roots. I'm a little different than Blitond in that, for whatever reason, I could handle warriors, rets, and certain rogue specs but I could pretty much lay down and die against the rest. By handle, I don't mean that I beat them, I just mean that I last long enough that if someone happened to be near they could finish them off with me.

The point is while they do have ways to get around snares, root breaks tend to be much longer cds. There are exceptions obviously (hopefully people read that instead of responding with 'BUT feral, ret, etc...)

Mostly, I try to avoid 1v1 with melee as much as possible but I don't really think of it as a problem the way other people do. Except for mages, pretty much all casters struggle with melee. There are some exceptions here and there, for example, I think warlocks fare pretty well against paladins. And there are more exceptions, I'm just not listing them all. But just in general, casters and melee don't mix 1v1.

That's why I would like to be able to use frost shock (and weapon imbues) more freely as elemental because having an instant ranged root is very powerful against melee (yes, I know TP+Earthgrab but I don't like TP as much as the others).
    These words in my mouth... where did they come from? I don't think I'm the one that put them there...

Quote Originally Posted by shell View Post
    In a perfect world they wouldn't waste the trinket but, reading between the lines, the OP is talking about random BG's. In which case you may find that players will trinket just about anything.

Some of the melee aren't as susceptible to snares as they are to roots. Warriors, for all their mobility, can be handled through roots. I'm a little different than Blitond in that, for whatever reason, I could handle warriors, rets, and certain rogue specs but I could pretty much lay down and die against the rest. By handle, I don't mean that I beat them, I just mean that I last long enough that if someone happened to be near they could finish them off with me.

The point is while they do have ways to get around snares, root breaks tend to be much longer cds. There are exceptions obviously (hopefully people read that instead of responding with 'BUT feral, ret, etc...)

Mostly, I try to avoid 1v1 with melee as much as possible but I don't really think of it as a problem the way other people do. Except for mages, pretty much all casters struggle with melee. There are some exceptions here and there, for example, I think warlocks fare pretty well against paladins. And there are more exceptions, I'm just not listing them all. But just in general, casters and melee don't mix 1v1.

That's why I would like to be able to use frost shock (and weapon imbues) more freely as elemental because having an instant ranged root is very powerful against melee (yes, I know TP+Earthgrab but I don't like TP as much as the others).
    I agree with you, on most melee being susceptible to roots because earthbind does work fairly well on warriors however once they get past that first root its good night for me double time H leap and all the rest. i can work with paladins bcuz unlike the rest of the melee they do not have a instant gap closer so thunderstorm works really well against them and i can purge hand of freedom.

Rouges only give me a hard time if they can get that stupid rupture silence on me or if they have cloak of shadows up.

DK's omg especially frost so many roots and so much dmg anti magic shell lol 4 get about it and if you do put distance between the both of u STRANGULATE

Feral is un kitable lol 9times out of 10 i dont even bother trying infected wounds is the new crippling poison lol

i have found the talented frost shock to be my best friend vs melees of late.
    do what you feel.

I think you misread my post. Warriors, DK's, and Enhance are the only melee you can snare/root. Which is why they are more manageable. Rogues are just stupid because you have to eat a minimum of 10.5 seconds of damage before you can even do anything. If you catch a rogue outside stealth w/o cloak or vanish then they are easy, but that rarely happens.

Not really. Most of the snare immunities are also root immunities as well.

It's one of the hardest thing to balance in PvP. To me it feels like a pendulum, except that its always lopsided and never in the middle. You're either in a position where you dominate melee (keeping them controlled the whole time) or they have near 100% uptime. There doesn't seem to be any middle ground.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitond View Post
    Not really. Most of the snare immunities are also root immunities as well.
    You're right, of course, I was thinking of avatar and vanish as root breaking abilities with long cooldowns, but they also break snares. Its just hard for me to imagine players using them in that way even though pretty much anything goes in bgs. I, for example, tend to drop grounding when I see a ret coming after me. I realize that's bad but players in bgs tend to predictably use their abilities on cd, so it ends up working for me more often than not. Feral and ret aside, monks have a Hand of Freedom talent and then of course there's windwalk for us which are both relatively short cds depending on talents. Probably other stuff I missed that melee has to break roots/snares.
    These words in my mouth... where did they come from? I don't think I'm the one that put them there...