Thread: Swiftech H220

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Well Anandtech's review surmises it quite well and it seems to mirror alot of other reviews which I don't think was made completely clear in TTL's review.

What you have is a product which is the entry product into water cooling, which the other closed loop coolers do not offer.

Added to the fact that you have overall better build quality, lower noise and excellent thermal results, it makes the H220 a better investment when you compare it to the likes of the x60 Kraken and Corsair 100i.

It has a pump which can be regulated via PWM, which the other closed looped coolers do not have and overall it offers users the ability to customize and control the unit how they wish to, which means extending the loop to cool your GPU if you so wish to (at an added cost ofcourse).

I've never water cooled before and atm there is no need to push my system beyond what I use it for. However if I wanted a product to help me enter the 'water cooling' world of PCs, well it seems like the Swiftech is a no brainer given their excellent reputation and experience in the water cooling field.
    Last edited by mmoc7f933b7749; 2013-02-26 at 09:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    It was brought up in the chat thread that TTL changed the award from silver to gold now that he knows the price of the unit. http://youtu.be/aPfLKkyIJOI?t=13m41s
    Thanks for copypasting my link :P

OT If you guys really need more information about this H220 I recommend this topic with official Swiftech response -> http://www.overclock.net/t/1345816/v...xpandable/1940

They're pretty much responding to everything, lovely service.
    Last edited by Faithh; 2013-02-27 at 01:13 AM.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    It seems tinytomlogan agrees with me that there is no room for the H220 in the marketplace at 139.00 bucks, his review released today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPfLKkyIJOI
    Odds are it was you who posted that video, since you seem to be the only person in this thread crying about the damn thing.

I plan on getting one when they become more readily available, I still have to RMA my Corsair H80. Never again am I buying a Corsair product, half their stuff is cheaply built.

Deleted
    It seems tinytomlogan agrees with me that there is no room for the H220 in the marketplace at 139.00 bucks, his review released today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPfLKkyIJOI
    I forgot to mention earlier there was no pricing on this, it was all a guess. Even Swiftech didn't have anything. Yours was as good a guess as any. Either way he gave it a gold award, pretty good for a product that has no place on the market.

Deleted
    Linus performance results, looks like with some tweaking it performs very well. Granted adding those fans also adds to the cost.

Yeah, NF-F12s are something like 20 odd bucks a piece, putting the cost up to the ~160 dollar bracket. They're awesome fans, but you do pay a lot for them.

I wonder how the NF-P12s that came with my U12P with the 7V resistor would do...
    Last edited by Butler to Baby Sloths; 2013-03-01 at 01:27 PM.

I'm just a bit disappointed about the noise at full rpm.. Wish this unit wouldn't make any noise at max rpm but I'm just planning to cool my cpu only so 2500rpm is just more than fine :P

Btw can you run NF-F12 PWM's higher than 1500 (which is rated @ 12V) through Asus fanxpert2?

Looking at the price of the components, the H220 isn't much cheaper than buying a 240 rad, hosing, a cpu waterblock, fittings, a reservoir and a pump. You'd save maybe 60$ in Norway.

I wouldn't run a cpu and gpu on a single 240 rad anyway so this is, for me, not a good entry kit for water cooling. If I was to use a 240 rad in the top I would need to run the water through another 240 rad before going to the gpu.

To me this product kind of falls between two categories. It's just personal opinion though, but also the length of the hoses bothers me too. That will look unbelieveably ugly through a windowed case. Tubes are supposed to be cut exactly the right length or it looks weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmiwink View Post
    Looking at the price of the components, the H220 isn't much cheaper than buying a 240 rad, hosing, a cpu waterblock, fittings, a reservoir and a pump. You'd save maybe 60$ in Norway.
    That's the whole idea though. You get the basic components for a CPU only loop, pre-assembled and pre-filled.

I wouldn't run a cpu and gpu on a single 240 rad anyway so this is, for me, not a good entry kit for water cooling. If I was to use a 240 rad in the top I would need to run the water through another 240 rad before going to the gpu.
    Wouldn't recommend water-blocking up a graphics card to a newbie anyway (heck, I wouldn't do it tbh). And your shop bought parts wouldn't be much better than this on a CPU and GPU loop if you only bought a single 240 rad.

To me this product kind of falls between two categories. It's just personal opinion though, but also the length of the hoses bothers me too. That will look unbelieveably ugly through a windowed case. Tubes are supposed to be cut exactly the right length or it looks weird.
    Which is presumably why Swiftech allows you to change the length of the hose. Better to send them out with the hose a bit too long than a bit too short.

Yeah that's what I mean, for a GPU and a CPU loop I would not recommend a single 240mm rad. A 240mm and a 360mm would be sufficient though. To me the H220 is absolutely pointless, but I guess it can be okay for someone who wants proper watercooling but doesn't have the courage to make a custom loop.

H-100 is an awful overpriced piece of equipment but that brings me to my other point, no one knows swiftech.

People bought tons of the H-100 because they know corsair, and it matches the other components in their rig.....and i suppose it looks decent as well (more tidy than massive air coolers). Swiftech is not in this position, they should have went the route asetek did and offer their products to OEM's and let them brand it.

I never said the H220 wasnt a good product, it just has limited market appeal.
    People knew Corsair and still kept buying the H100/I despite MAJOR software issues, noise problems and pump failures that required factory replacements. It's liquid running over electric, you're running a risk regardless of the name on the label.

If you go only by names you know, you're missing out.

To me the H220 is absolutely pointless
    In that sense an H100 is just as pointless, yet you bought one of those.

The H100i is just as pointless, yes. It doesn't cool any better than the swiftech, but it looks better. I haven't experienced software issues with any corsair product I have owned so can't make a comment on that Prag, I hear some say it has problems etc. I have not experienced any yet and I don't downrate products over problems I haven't personally experienced.

The reasons the Swiftech would be pointless to me as a start to custom watercooling:

The pump unit is on the CPU-block. It doesn't look right to me. (I know the H100i has this as well but I don't consider the H100i a watercooler. I do consider the H220 one.) It's also not the location in the loop I would want to place this, nor is the pump unit the kind I would want.

The radiator is a standard 240mm 29mm thickness. (The H100i is only 27mm making it even worse, but this is not made to be expanded upon) Making it virtually impossible to expand on this system without adding or adding+replacing the current radiator.

You would still need to buy a reservoir, fittings etc. gpu block, tubing, coolant and most likely a different pump. And when the gpu block is purchased, you need a cpu block that fits.

As a closed loop watercooler though: It's definately better at cooling than the H100i, yes you need to buy aftermarket fans for it but the same goes for the H100i. For the job it does as a closed loop watercooler it is absolutely fantastic compared to 90% of the coolers available. That is true. But no matter how you twist and turn it, the H100i performance is almost identical and depending on price at time of purchase it's really hard to say what is the best buy. If the corsair is cheaper, go with that. If tthe same price, go with Swiftech. If you want water cooling, go with neither.

The H100i is just as pointless, yes. It doesn't cool any better than the swiftech, but it looks better. I haven't experienced software issues with any corsair product I have owned so can't make a comment on that Prag, I hear some say it has problems etc. I have not experienced any yet and I don't downrate products over problems I haven't personally experienced.

The reasons the Swiftech would be pointless to me as a start to custom watercooling:

The pump unit is on the CPU-block. It doesn't look right to me. (I know the H100i has this as well but I don't consider the H100i a watercooler. I do consider the H220 one.) It's also not the location in the loop I would want to place this, nor is the pump unit the kind I would want.

The radiator is a standard 240mm 29mm thickness. (The H100i is only 27mm making it even worse, but this is not made to be expanded upon) Making it virtually impossible to expand on this system without adding or adding+replacing the current radiator.

You would still need to buy a reservoir, fittings etc. gpu block, tubing, coolant and most likely a different pump. And when the gpu block is purchased, you need a cpu block that fits.

As a closed loop watercooler though: It's definately better at cooling than the H100i, yes you need to buy aftermarket fans for it but the same goes for the H100i. For the job it does as a closed loop watercooler it is absolutely fantastic compared to 90% of the coolers available. That is true. But no matter how you twist and turn it, the H100i performance is almost identical and depending on price at time of purchase it's really hard to say what is the best buy. If the corsair is cheaper, go with that. If tthe same price, go with Swiftech. If you want water cooling, go with neither.
    The H220 doesn't require a reservoir, just find a hole where you can fill your loop. Rads nowadays have like 4 ports so pick one to fill it :P

Btw the Cooler Master Eisberg is out. The pump looks definitly better so does the tubes and has a reservoir as well on the block.

Except that the Coolermaster Eisberg also costs ~40 dollars more than the Swiftech. At which point you are straying into full custom CPU loop/XSPC kit money.

Yeah, the Swiftech looks alot better than the Coolermaster. Nice try from them though, having more manufacturers producing high performance liquid coolers is a good thing. I am anxious to see how Corsair responds to the Swiftech, seeing it is infact a better cooler than the H100i. Had it just looked better it would have been easy to choose between that and a H100i. Doesn't matter, radiator, pump, reservoir, fittings and EK supremacy full nickel is probably being shipped tomorrow All this talk of water cooling got me hoarding gear for my incoming 900D

Deleted

I've changed my mind about this product after that video. If that's the case then all the reviews so far have been wrong, in the H220's disfavour. At the price it's at, that's actually fantastic value for money.

I would even say changing the tubes, fittings and coolant on it would be a worthwhile upgrade to make it look good as well. Question now is, is the pump strong enough to provide enough pressure/flow for a second rad and a gpu block? If so, this is the new budget watercooling custom loop recommended by me.

Deleted
    Correct me if I am wrong but I though that WaterCooling was completely fanless, why would ppl want to have fans on a WC build? Even more than lower temps some ppl value the quietness of the build the most special those who have a PC on the same room they sleep and want to have it running overnight and even the quietness fans can be heard at night.

Quote Originally Posted by spyke View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong but I though that WaterCooling was completely fanless, why would ppl want to have fans on a WC build? Even more than lower temps some ppl value the quietness of the build the most special those who have a PC on the same room they sleep and want to have it running overnight and even the quietness fans can be heard at night.
    Watercoolers have about 4 times as many fans as a non watercooler. Difference is we use static pressure low noise fans to help cool down radiators etc instead of cooling down heat sinks.