Page 1 of 2
LastLast

devouring plague in pvp

Anyone got tips on using this in pvp. I just seem to fire it off when I get 3 orbs without thinking as I don't have much experience with spriest pvp.

Deleted
    Whether you are using it in arenas, rbgs or even duels you have to make sure your target doesn't have protection spells like a shield / etc. In duels what I usually do is when I have 3 orbs, I use my trinket, cast a mindblast followed by 3 orbs devouring plague. In arenas / rbgs it feels kinda weird to use dp. This is because you can't simply use it whenever you want, you need to wait for the right moment, but don't wait too long. Try to time it with your partner's burst and a silence on the healer.

But this is just my opinion to be honest.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by pkm View Post
    Anyone got tips on using this in pvp. I just seem to fire it off when I get 3 orbs without thinking as I don't have much experience with spriest pvp.
    Right now 3orb DP is used to put up high pressure / go for the kill but you might aswell get used to DP being just another dot since its going to
    be nerfed pretty much in 5.2. ATM we dont know just how bad this will be for spriests but its not looking good for world pvp/duels/2v2 but spriests
    will still have a spot in 3v3/5v5 due to all the other tools spriests have.

Basically they are moving towards making spriests look more like the other joke class using dots (affli lock). Get a good peeling-partner and youre fine

Deleted
    Is DP really getting nerfed that badly? I thought it would do the same damage just spread over a longer time. Not as bursty but still it's gonna a mental hard ticking dot I should think.

Deleted
    Perhaps not a huge nerf. It takes away the burst from spriest and makes spriests into another affliction type of caster...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by saltyharbls View Post
    ... makes spriests into another affliction type of caster...
    Not really, because Spriest don't have viable dispell protection like WLs do. On PTR, healers just wait until VT is applied then dispell -> hard counters the new "Insanity"
    Last edited by mmoc8b1766084d; 2013-01-22 at 12:46 PM.

Its not a "nerf" as the word would suggest, but a shifting from front loaded damage to DP ticks damage.

Burst wise is a nerf while its a boost on sustained/pressure damage.

Its very bad for 2s anyway .

Deleted
    I see what you mean, especially with the lack of dispell protection. There are situations where a hard ticking dot can be more beneficial though. I remember combustion being a real bitch sometimes if the healer isn't able to dispell straight away

Deleted
    Devouring Plague base damage reduced by 70%. DoT damage increased by 70%.

This is yet another useless change to Shadow for PVP i generally feel that they dislike the class nothing but pointless changes. So they take away our burst to give us a prolonged DOT which... can be DISPELLED? So how will they compensate us for this being as it drops us right in the sticks against any class.

I wouldn't agree with the change but at least DP ticks very fast so the damage is there. SP's do need a nerf somewhere. But I would've expected it somewhere else.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by sugarfree View Post
    I wouldn't agree with the change but at least DP ticks very fast so the damage is there. SP's do need a nerf somewhere. But I would've expected it somewhere else.
    Why do Shadow priests need a nerf? Our general survival rate against melee classes is below 50% so why cant our damage be abit OP to compensate that?

Deleted
    Well they have nerfed self healing too, so there is that. To be honest I can understand the change to DP, although I don't agree with it. But as mentioned above, DP will do more damage overall now and will provide sustained damage.

Deleted
    It makes our..."burst"... very counterable. Much like being able to dispell ret's wings or lock's Dark soul, they can now kill the fiend and dispell the dot and the damage is gone. What do we do now? Offheal with those shitty 35k flashes? They are nerfed aswell now, i don't think the PvPpowerbuff is gonna compensate for that nerf. We may be falling down on 30k now. Given that most priests go full resil and now power aswell makes this kinda fucked....

With SWP, vampiric touch and DP its still good burst. You shouldn't forget that we can burst multiple times in quite a short timeframe if we are a bit lucky. I enjoy the orb system and I hope it stays this way.
    The flash heal nerf is quite a big nerf but I think it's justified. Flash heal already doesn't heal too much as shadow but we have PoM, Halo (if taken), renew and shield to still be an effective support healer.

All in all we will still be a strong class. I would definitely take Mastery over Crit now though. More chance for DP damage to double.

Deleted
    Shouldn't you cc the enemy healer when you burst anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by stiglet View Post
    Shouldn't you cc the enemy healer when you burst anyway?
    Yeah you should. Lay a silence on the healer and burst away.I don't know why people say we don't have burst?
    Silence->3 Orb DP->2xFDCL->Instant MB. Couple a trinket on there and a shadowfiend for a little more dps.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Clebane View Post
    Yeah you should. Lay a silence on the healer and burst away.I don't know why people say we don't have burst?
    Silence->3 Orb DP->2xFDCL->Instant MB. Couple a trinket on there and a shadowfiend for a little more dps.
    This.

It's like Rogues complaining that their burst is useless because they can be rooted. True, but that's all a part of PvP.

The dp isn't a nerf. It will have the same dmg or even more with how mastery works for shadow. It doubles dot dmg. For arena, You have to line up your 3 orbs with your partner before using them. It's a good idea to let your partner know that you have two orbs so they have time to setup by the time you have three.

With the rework of insanity. Your burst period will be great. I luv the new changes. This was just so you don't gimpy someone.

also, in any arena player. obviously cc the healer before using dmg. It's basic knowledge.
    Last edited by Mallicce; 2013-01-31 at 06:12 AM.

Except you cant take fdcl if you take insanity, and spikes wont give you mind blasts, giving us only dp

spriest dmg has to actually be pretty damn broken right now on ptr. by looking and reading all these changes, its hardly looking like a functioning class lol
    Kickin Incredibly Dope Shit

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment

We haven't made many PvE damage adjustments at all. We will. It's possible Shadow lost too much damage while moving in PvE. Nearly all of these Shadow changes were to tone them down in PvP.
    Still hope. Maybe not so much for PVP though.
    Non-discipline 2006-2019, not supporting the company any longer. Also: fails.
    MMO Champion Mafia Games - The outlet for Chronic Backstabbing Disorder. [ Join the Fun | Countdown | Rolecard Builder MkII ]