View Poll Results: Did you find this Guide Useful?

Voters
286. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    205 71.68%
  • No

    81 28.32%
  1. #2161
    Warchief
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Right here, right now
    Posts
    2,243
    Quote Originally Posted by Szarala View Post
    soloing G'nathus seems like a better test of warlock abilities than Kanrethad to me.
    im sorry but i almost spit my coffee at the monitor while reading this... gnathus is like unloading your rotation at target dummy , only difference is keeping glyphed exhaustion on him...

  2. #2162
    Destruction and I never clicked, but you get the impression that it is almost required on this fight, so I kept going between destro and demo. Demo (ilvl 505) made it happen in the end though, knowing how to play your spec. turned out better than any destro advantages on that fight, go figure.

    Popping cd's and immolate aura when the puppies are about to come out gave me all the aggro and dps I needed.

    To make the puppie phase less stressful - do not wait for Katrethan to start sum the puppies before you send your pitlord away, do this earlier so you have more time to get in position, a few sec's before he start summoning does a lot to calm the situation.

    Track Kat's dots with a big bar on your screen, this had a huge impact for me instead of just using the spell from the pitlord on cd, it made everything less stressful to just use the spell when needed. Same with the gateway, knowing exactly when it will work instead of hanging around the area when it "should" be off cd made it easier to grasp the fight.

  3. #2163
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluesftw View Post
    im sorry but i almost spit my coffee at the monitor while reading this... gnathus is like unloading your rotation at target dummy , only difference is keeping glyphed exhaustion on him...
    I meant that line as more of an indictment on Kanrethad (in that an encounter where just a snare and waterwalking feels more warlocky than the purposely designed warlock encounter).

  4. #2164
    Meh, today I got him down to about 5% a few times. I keep dying to the Doomlords aggroing me. I guess I should pay a bit more attention to always keep the Demonic Gateway debuff up, even before the Imps get summoned because it seems Soulshatter isn't enough. Anyway, whatever... I'll get lucky and down him sometime soon.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Darkrulerxxx View Post
    give yourself some rest, and push again man, there should not be any "random" events if you have the mechanics on lock down....not to call you out because i know how frustrating it is.
    Well, it can be prevented in most cases... but this one time I got Dark Hole on both sides of my Demonic Gateway. Great fun that was.

  5. #2165
    Grunt
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    22
    Just managed to beat him as demo after about 50 attempts. I tried as destruction, but I'm just not used to the spec and couldn't get as far. On my successful attempt I got him killed him just before the 2nd doomlord was summoned.

  6. #2166
    Quote Originally Posted by Szarala View Post
    I meant that line as more of an indictment on Kanrethad (in that an encounter where just a snare and waterwalking feels more warlocky than the purposely designed warlock encounter).
    so just because you don't use a pit lord during normal play the encounter is bad? it still tests your pet management somewhat(although it's probably the easiest part). doing anything else besides giving you a pet to tank the boss would change all other mechanics up, it had to be done. is it just that you are bitter that you can't beat the encounter and let it out in this way? keep trying, eventually you'll succeed. that's what challenge is all about.

  7. #2167
    Quote Originally Posted by sayulol View Post
    so just because you don't use a pit lord during normal play the encounter is bad? it still tests your pet management somewhat(although it's probably the easiest part). doing anything else besides giving you a pet to tank the boss would change all other mechanics up, it had to be done. is it just that you are bitter that you can't beat the encounter and let it out in this way? keep trying, eventually you'll succeed. that's what challenge is all about.
    I feel the encounter is inappropriately designed. It's like if you went to get a drivers license and the test involved operating a backhoe.

  8. #2168
    Quote Originally Posted by Szarala View Post
    I feel the encounter is inappropriately designed. It's like if you went to get a drivers license and the test involved operating a backhoe.
    Still have to disagree. This is likely the best designed, class-specific questline/boss in-game. The mere fact that you said what you did about G'nathus makes me think you are either looking for ways to discredit the Kanrethad encounter (because it is just too hard for you), or you may just be a bit delusional. Could be both I guess...

    I will flay your mind.

  9. #2169
    Quote Originally Posted by Reposed View Post
    Still have to disagree. This is likely the best designed, class-specific questline/boss in-game. The mere fact that you said what you did about G'nathus makes me think you are either looking for ways to discredit the Kanrethad encounter (because it is just too hard for you), or you may just be a bit delusional. Could be both I guess...
    How many other class-specific bosses are there? Sure, I guess it's the best by default if it's the only one. There ARE parts of the questline that are well done, particularly the Black Temple run (minus the idiotic "Hey, let's steal gems!" part); we coulda used more of that.

    Why do you feel the encounter is so well done? Mental exercise: if a device was placed to allow Pit Lord control, which classes would not be able to do the encounter?

  10. #2170
    Quote Originally Posted by Szarala View Post
    How many other class-specific bosses are there? Sure, I guess it's the best by default if it's the only one. There ARE parts of the questline that are well done, particularly the Black Temple run (minus the idiotic "Hey, let's steal gems!" part); we coulda used more of that.

    Why do you feel the encounter is so well done? Mental exercise: if a device was placed to allow Pit Lord control, which classes would not be able to do the encounter?
    Priest and Hunter quests back in vanilla, Druid flight form quests in BC, Monk quests.

  11. #2171
    Quote Originally Posted by Szarala View Post
    How many other class-specific bosses are there? Sure, I guess it's the best by default if it's the only one. There ARE parts of the questline that are well done, particularly the Black Temple run (minus the idiotic "Hey, let's steal gems!" part); we coulda used more of that.

    Why do you feel the encounter is so well done? Mental exercise: if a device was placed to allow Pit Lord control, which classes would not be able to do the encounter?
    Let's compare for a moment, using something YOU referenced:

    G'nathus [NOT Warlocky] (DPS + CoEx)

    or

    Kanrethad [VERY Warlocky] (DPS + Enslave Demon + Demon Charge + Demon Siphon Life + Demon FF Breath + Shadowfury + Banish + Fear + Teleport + Gates + whatever survivability CD's you used, etc...)

    That's about as short as I could make it. Anything else would just be repeating what has already been said. You have been weighed. You have been measured. And thus, you have been found lacking.

    /cackle

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Dreyo View Post
    Priest and Hunter quests back in vanilla, Druid flight form quests in BC, Monk quests.
    Rogue quest. Also, Warlock Dreadsteed quests back in the day.

    I will flay your mind.

  12. #2172
    You didn't answer the question. Which classes wouldn't be able to do Kanrethad?

    None of the monk quests involve a boss. To my knowledge, the dreadsteed, charger, priest and hunter quests no longer exist. I admittedly have no idea what goes into the rogue quest (least favorite class and I essentially skipped Cata).

  13. #2173
    Quote Originally Posted by Szarala View Post
    You didn't answer the question. Which classes wouldn't be able to do Kanrethad?
    That make ZERO difference to the argument at hand, really...I am at a loss of words. I didn't feel it was worthy of attention in my last post, nor do I in this one either. You are reaching here.

    Quote Originally Posted by Szarala View Post
    None of the monk quests involve a boss. To my knowledge, the dreadsteed, charger, priest and hunter quests no longer exist. I admittedly have no idea what goes into the rogue quest (least favorite class and I essentially skipped Cata).
    And your point?

    Oh, and since we are on the topic of skimming over responses, I will reiterate my main point from the last:

    Quote Originally Posted by Reposed the Greater
    G'nathus [NOT Warlocky] (DPS + CoEx)

    or

    Kanrethad [VERY Warlocky] (DPS + Enslave Demon + Demon Charge + Demon Siphon Life + Demon FF Breath + Shadowfury + Banish + Fear + Teleport + Gates + whatever survivability CD's you used, etc...)

    I will flay your mind.

  14. #2174
    I would have to agree with my wife.

    I will burn your soul.

  15. #2175
    Quote Originally Posted by Reposed View Post
    That make ZERO difference to the argument at hand, really...I am at a loss of words. I didn't feel it was worthy of attention in my last post, nor do I in this one either. You are reaching here.
    I apologize that the relevance isn't clearer. If all that makes the fight warlock special is the Pit Lord, then.. it isn't very warlock special at all, is it? All of the warlock-specific ancillary abilities used in the encounter are used to address situations that other classes have means to handle in a similar if not better fashion. Even if the Pit Lord were just a minor addition to the encounter (instead of being the whole damn fight as it is), pointing to it via Enslave Demon (a spell that's gone ignored since Burning Crusade and I'm willing to bet still won't have a use aside from being a parlor trick going forward) and saying "see? warlock only fight for you! Feel special and enjoy"" is a pretty cheap out. It would be like if they made a priest encounter, and the entire fight hinged on casting Dominate Mind on an NPC with completely foreign abilities. The encounter is lacking as some type of Warlock Merit Badge because of this and I think it's an inappropriate end to this particular questline. If this were, say, the final step in a quest to gain the spell Summon Pit Lord, it'd be perfect, but it's not.

    And your point?
    Do I have to define what "by default" means?

    Oh, and since we are on the topic of skimming over responses, I will reiterate my main point from the last:
    The G'nathus thing was a throwaway, half-joke line. I apologize for not being funny. I can, however, think of a few classes that would have an easier time with Kanrethad than they would with G'nathus.

  16. #2176
    Quote Originally Posted by Reposed View Post
    Also, Warlock Dreadsteed quests back in the day.
    That wasn't a solo quest, and it wasn't that difficult imo. You just needed to relight some candles and DPS a few waves Felhunters if I recall correctly. And then a Dreadlord would need to be tanked and spanked until eventually the Dreadsteed would appear, it would need to be DPSed down for it to be enslaved. Then again, compared to most of the boss fights at that time it could be considered complex.

    Anyway, I just killed Kanrethad yesterday. It was much easier in ilvl 486 gear than when I tried in 470.
    I have to say, the few tries that I got him down to 5% and still wiped made success that much sweeter. I haven't gotten this rush from defeating a boss since my first Ragnaros kill. Indeed well done Blizzard.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Szarala View Post
    You didn't answer the question. Which classes wouldn't be able to do Kanrethad?
    I don't know of any other classes that can Enslave Demon and Banish. Though I guess you mean an equivalent like Mind Control and Shackle Undead, sure they could've made a similar fight for another class. But how is that a problem?

    And I don't understand your problem with controlling a Pit Lord either. Blizzard has made more boss fights in the past that required you to use a few new learned mechanics. Razorgore in BWL and Razuvious in Naxx come to mind, but I'm sure there are more. Do you also have a problem with those fights?

  17. #2177
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyler01 View Post
    And I don't understand your problem with controlling a Pit Lord either. Blizzard has made more boss fights in the past that required you to use a few new learned mechanics. Razorgore in BWL and Razuvious in Naxx come to mind, but I'm sure there are more. Do you also have a problem with those fights?
    I don't recall many people hailing Razorgore and/or Razuvious as examples of the bestest raid encounters ever.

    It's not that people enjoy this type of encounter and I don't.
    It's not that people enjoy the thrill of overcoming something and I would rather enjoy the encounter itself. Some people like games like Irritating Maze for that very reason, and that's totally not my thing.

    It's that people are calling this the best warlock fight ever, and to me that's like someone saying water is dry, then branding me a heretic when I protest.

  18. #2178
    Quote Originally Posted by Szarala View Post
    It's that people are calling this the best warlock fight ever, and to me that's like someone saying water is dry, then branding me a heretic when I protest.
    Which event/fight/boss/whatever (that is somewhat similar in case) have you done that you like better? This is the only PvE content that even remotely felt thrilling, everything else, from questing to raiding feels comparatively dull (besides the fact that you can largely be carried through in non-solo content...IMO).

    BTW, did you ever end up getting Fel fire?

    I will burn your soul.

  19. #2179
    I am really happy to see that people with 510/520 ilevel gear are struggling with this fight to get green fire

    Blizzard did a fine job tuning this fight.
    Khan, Battlemaster, Gladiator, High Warlord

  20. #2180
    I actually agree that it's not all that special of a fight.

    Sure it's warlock specific, but in the most superficial way possible. It's like the boss is all "Watch as I use this amazing ability... that you just happen to have the perfect counter to." I didn't find anything about it challenging from a how-to-approach-it perspective. I knew exactly how to counter every ability after seeing it once and maybe reading the tooltip. It was all a matter of hitting my buttons in the right order and cobbling together a few macros. I killed it after about 8 pulls, by which time I had the timing down as to be able to anticipate everything as it came.

    I'm not hating on the fight and I don't have an answer for how to design a better class specific encounter, but I didn't find it to be anything special in the least. The best I can say is that at least it seemed to be more or less bug free and fairly well tuned (granted I didn't bother with it until recently so I don't know how it was when it was first release but I hear it had some issues).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •