View Poll Results: Did you find this Guide Useful?

Voters
286. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    205 71.68%
  • No

    81 28.32%
  1. #2241
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysakers View Post
    I dont intend to step on any toes, i just feel that when they design a series of quests that will reward something purely cosmetic and make it "hard" to obtain, then it should stay that way.
    Like challenge mode dungeons - you get some rewards for completing them, and if you are not dedicated enough or "good" enough then you dont get it. It rewards people that are simply better at playing the game, or that puts more time in to get what they want.

    If they dont make the quest unobtainable or scaled in the future - then by 6.0 its the same as making green fire baseline.
    At the original ilevel for the quest, you actually have to preform to get your award, and by doing so will reward induviduality. This is also shown in the PVP part of the game. You do go, you get stuff other people might want, but can never have because you are better.
    Put short, a sense of accomplisment.
    There is nothing else (pve) in the game that scales like with the explicit exception of challenge modes which were put there specifically for that purpose. Symbols of pve "status" are fleeting, have been since the game came out and are that way quite intentionally.

    For every subset of players that have the most fun testing their limits and being among the 'elite' there's another (probably larger) group that gets their fun from coming back much later and beating up their former bullies when they are bigger. This has been a core tenet of many RPGs (predating MMO's) and is alluded to in WoW itself in a few instances (most notably in the Chromie quests in Dragonblight).

  2. #2242
    I am Murloc! rhorle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    5,611
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysakers View Post
    I dont intend to step on any toes, i just feel that when they design a series of quests that will reward something purely cosmetic and make it "hard" to obtain, then it should stay that way.
    But shouldn't development time go towards new content? And at this point where do you draw the line? ToT gear level? 5.3 gear level? 5.1 gear level? 5.0 gear level? 5.4/5.5 gear level? What happens if 6.0 comes along and changes existing spells like removing threat drop from gateway or removing enslave all together? Does the item that starts the quest still drop from old content or does it scale to the newest "patch hub"? Is it fair to have it drop from Isle of thunder but require a recent tier item level?

    Should time really be devoted to constantly maintaining the proper balance? Even with item level scaling or equalization they still have to account for new mechanics etc. Having it unobtainable is just simply stupid because it wastes all the time they put into it. Why should green fire be something only warlocks during MoP have access to?

    The accomplishment you get is like with everything else PvE, you did it sooner and got to enjoy it longer. It is a personal accomplishment the same as old raids becoming solo-able versus always scaling to keep the same difficulty.

    You have to examine what is best for the warlock class, and not what is best for your sense of self elitism. Is it better for every warlock to get something considered to be "core" to the warlock class, or for only a few?
    Last edited by rhorle; 2013-08-29 at 11:35 PM.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

  3. #2243
    I am Murloc! prwraith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    the stars
    Posts
    5,563
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    But shouldn't development time go towards new content? And at this point where do you draw the line? ToT gear level? 5.3 gear level? 5.1 gear level? 5.0 gear level? 5.4/5.5 gear level? What happens if 6.0 comes along and changes existing spells like removing threat drop from gateway or removing enslave all together? Does the item that starts the quest still drop from old content or does it scale to the newest "patch hub"? Is it fair to have it drop from Isle of thunder but require a recent tier item level?

    Should time really be devoted to constantly maintaining the proper balance? Even with item level scaling or equalization they still have to account for new mechanics etc. Having it unobtainable is just simply stupid because it wastes all the time they put into it. Why should green fire be something only warlocks during MoP have access to?

    The accomplishment you get is like with everything else PvE, you did it sooner and got to enjoy it longer. It is a personal accomplishment the same as old raids becoming solo-able versus always scaling to keep the same difficulty.

    You have to examine what is best for the warlock class, and not what is best for your sense of self elitism. Is it better for every warlock to get something considered to be "core" to the warlock class, or for only a few?
    With the scaling system they have allegedly designed for old raids in the next expansion. I don't see it as entirely unfeasible to turn that on in reverse for this encounter.

  4. #2244
    Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    With the scaling system they have allegedly designed for old raids in the next expansion. I don't see it as entirely unfeasible to turn that on in reverse for this encounter.
    What rhorle is asking is what is the point in scaling if Blizzard decide to change Warlock mechanics which make the encounter more difficult ? And scaling-as an actual mechanic- only should be used so far; one of the reasons a lot of players continue playing is to defeat mobs or bosses that they previously couldn't with higher stats (in fact the "let's throw some more gear on and hit it again" philosophy is pretty much core) and therefore scaling has it's time and it's place.
    Karenthad has already been defeated with a wide range of gear levels ranging from from 460 to 550 and if Blizzard adopted scaling to the encounter where would they draw that line because any decision within that range could be (and rightfully) considered the wrong one. The only way Blizzard could preserve the "exclusivity" of green fire and the challenge would be to make it temporary content which, gain, has it's drawbacks for little gain.
    The encounter is non-essential, mechanic heavy, requiring a certain degree of focus and with a unique cosmetic reward which are good things, but rather than seeking to preserve the integrity of the encounter (which cannot happen) I think people should be asking of more of the same.
    Stuff gets outleveled. It's less an issue of technology and one which goes to the heart of the game. it won't be the first time some encounter is introduced which people want preserved only to see it trivialised by the onward march of time; I remember going into Cata lot's of people wanted Arthas taken out the game, people have asked for longevity to be added to legendaries. Today's cool stuff and challenging encounters will always be tomorrow's commonplace.

  5. #2245
    I am Murloc! Bananarepublic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    5,216
    Don't post on these forums anymore but want to say I did it today at ilevel 488.

    Key is to constantly get aggro down, never forget it.
    Key is to move your pitlord behind pillar and set him on passive then Soulshatter before he even starts summoning those fellhounds.
    Key is to aggro both doomlords to your pitlord and let him tank it, health funnel him too, I did health funnel unglyphed.
    Key is to after the second doomlords, RoF and Fel breath the imps, then take them down with FnB a little but not completely, leave them a little health so you RoF and can SPAM CHAOSBOLT.

    When he hits 20% use RoF on imps and just Shadowburn away while keeping aggro down via Soulshatter and portal.

    Good luck.
    And don't forget Puri pot.

  6. #2246
    Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    Key is to have RNG, which I never have, because every fucking time I wipe, because a goddamn void zone, comes and knocks me into LoS of a Chaos Bolt.

    Every time I get the boss to 10% a fucking void zone comes and gets me killed...


    This fight isn't even about skill, it's about RNG.


    I also hate the bullshit where your character talks and shit and you become stunned for like a second interrupting your cast. Fucked up quite a few Chaos Bolt + Charges.
    You must be a troll, really, since I cannot come up with a suitable explanation why you would get so pissed off of something you could easily avoid if you'd just dispell yourself (It's not as if you don't have enough spells at your disposal to do just that), instead of complaining about not having RNG in a fight, where there is absolutely no RNG to beginn with.

  7. #2247
    Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    Key is to have RNG, which I never have, because every fucking time I wipe, because a goddamn void zone, comes and knocks me into LoS of a Chaos Bolt.

    Every time I get the boss to 10% a fucking void zone comes and gets me killed...


    This fight isn't even about skill, it's about RNG.


    I also hate the bullshit where your character talks and shit and you become stunned for like a second interrupting your cast. Fucked up quite a few Chaos Bolt + Charges.
    Nothing RNG about that... it is your own responsibility to cleanse your debuffs (singe and demon breath)... if you keep that up you will never have the stun or the void zones...
    Read the signature rules

  8. #2248
    Kanrethad DOWN for me!

    i can use demonic green fire now! (and post 5.4... fel dreadsteed!!!!!!!)

    p.s. is VERY important to have macro-stun Kanrethad, macro enslave pit lord, and glyph od gateway attunement is very useful... and a potion of purification. Dark soul management is very important: cast during felhunter phase.

  9. #2249
    Legendary! muto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Inside a Bubble
    Posts
    6,312
    Quote Originally Posted by Driani View Post
    You must be a troll, really, since I cannot come up with a suitable explanation why you would get so pissed off of something you could easily avoid if you'd just dispell yourself (It's not as if you don't have enough spells at your disposal to do just that), instead of complaining about not having RNG in a fight, where there is absolutely no RNG to beginn with.
    I constantly dispel thank you.

    Edit: Just got it, the problem was that Seed of Terrible Destruction expires after 15 seconds, and Fel Flame Breath has a 20 second cd, so I dispelled it right before it was about to expire, and with Singe Magic, it's too risky since it only removes one debuff.

    Also, not sure what the hell was going on with my Gateway, a few times on clicked on it, and it wouldn't port me, even though it had charges left on it, so I had to improvise and use engineering speed boost, and drop a teleport pad back behind the pillar for insurance.

    My heart starts pumping so hard wen he gets below 20%, luckily imps spawned, and I just Shadowburned him to death.
    Last edited by muto; 2013-09-09 at 07:27 PM.

  10. #2250
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuji V2 View Post
    I'm putting out around 110k dps, lining up my chaos bolts+dark soul+doomguard with Charge, Breath pretty much on cooldown, dispel myself with it or with imp special when possible and everytime when I get below the 10% threshold something retarded happens and I whipe. The most frustrating one was where the second felhunters spawn around 5%, ate enslave and I ended up whiping on 1% lol.
    I just did it yesterday (I wanted to do it before 5.4, spent most of my day on it ) and there is norandomness at all. At first I was extremely frustrated with it but as I managed to go on I saw why it failed each time and each time I could say "it's because i'm dumb and didnt do XXX".
    When I beat it I was so proud because I did no mistakes Well actually I made one, on a late imp wave I let my health get down to like 4000 or so but I managed to teleport to my circle behind a pilar, with no embers to heal and the healthstone on cooldown .. but it allowed my sacrificial pact to come up and I lived, woh the adrenaline! (the boss was at like 7% or so!)

    When I did it it wasnt my gear or dps that won (I'm 493 and did a paltry 64k dps on the whole fight) it's just correct execution.

    The fight also made me discover a spec I never tried (destruction) and I actually like it a lot now

  11. #2251
    Personally did it a few months ago with ilvl 476 and PvP trinkets (badly geared).

    One of the key points to the tactic back then was using the Gate every 15 seconds to make sure you don't get aggro. Now that this is completely gone, does it get a lot harder, or does it work when you simply ignore that?
    I'm not a native English speaker, and yet, I don't suck at English. The argument "English is not my mother tongue" doesn't actually give you an excuse to do so.

  12. #2252
    I can't seem to even be able to last long without being able to drop threat, even with Soulshatter the first waves of imps overwhelm me and my pit lord does jack all about it.
    "May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce"

  13. #2253
    Blademaster hyperlance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    37
    I'm the same as Fabled. Those damn imps overwhelm me every time. I've watched ever how to on youtube and never can emulate so I gave up. But my gear score has gone up quite since then so probably worth a try again.

  14. #2254
    How is the green fire quest since 5.4? Im ilevel 540 and have yet to attempt it

  15. #2255
    The Patient Ogawdspider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Right behind you!
    Posts
    324
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogmanlolz View Post
    How is the green fire quest since 5.4? Im ilevel 540 and have yet to attempt it
    I JUST completed it and i'm ilvl 508. The mechanics are the same and difficult. It is a bit harder now i assume because you cannot drop aggro with portals. Once you get the fight in your memory and know what you need to do it's still hard hahah. Huge margin for error and it truly isn't easy despite what many say.
    Quote Originally Posted by evn View Post
    In fact, I'd argue $100 for a bottle of scotch to drink while you're building it would be the best use of your money - but then, who wouldn't?

  16. #2256
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabled View Post
    I can't seem to even be able to last long without being able to drop threat, even with Soulshatter the first waves of imps overwhelm me and my pit lord does jack all about it.
    Hm. The imps always focused me when I did it. They weren't the reason why you wanted to drop threat, Chaos Bolt was, iirc.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    I constantly dispel thank you.

    Edit: Just got it, the problem was that Seed of Terrible Destruction expires after 15 seconds, and Fel Flame Breath has a 20 second cd, so I dispelled it right before it was about to expire, and with Singe Magic, it's too risky since it only removes one debuff.

    Also, not sure what the hell was going on with my Gateway, a few times on clicked on it, and it wouldn't port me, even though it had charges left on it, so I had to improvise and use engineering speed boost, and drop a teleport pad back behind the pillar for insurance.

    My heart starts pumping so hard wen he gets below 20%, luckily imps spawned, and I just Shadowburned him to death.
    Just a couple of comments on this; Singe Magic is a must. You more or less spam it throughout the fight on CD, so that when you get the Seed, you can easily remove it since you always make sure that Agony is gone. Aside from that, you should spec Unbound Will to remove it when Singe Magic is on CD and Seed is about to pop.

    Dunno about the Gateway - it's changed since I did Kanrethad.

    Lastly, there's no luck about the mobs that spawn. It's a set pattern.

    Also, these are tactics for low gear (what I did it with) - the better your gear is, the more you can ignore the tactics.
    I'm not a native English speaker, and yet, I don't suck at English. The argument "English is not my mother tongue" doesn't actually give you an excuse to do so.

  17. #2257
    The Patient Ogawdspider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Right behind you!
    Posts
    324
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabled View Post
    I can't seem to even be able to last long without being able to drop threat, even with Soulshatter the first waves of imps overwhelm me and my pit lord does jack all about it.
    I basically stood on the base of the Pit Lords tail.. used shadowfury at the first bit of them then right around when he was done summoning i would use the pit lords breath and usually he would pick up a lot of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by evn View Post
    In fact, I'd argue $100 for a bottle of scotch to drink while you're building it would be the best use of your money - but then, who wouldn't?

  18. #2258
    Stood in the Fire frigoffrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    445

    Greenfire boss question

    How does the aggro table work on this guy? I've tried the soul shatter after you charge him the first time. Does anyone have any tips on how to keep him off me?

  19. #2259
    Only thing that works reliably that I'm aware of is gate portal debuff. Keep that on you and he should be focusing on the pet most of the time.

  20. #2260
    Stood in the Fire frigoffrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    445
    I'm getting real frustrated with this fight, anything goes wrong and you're dead and him being on me does not help. So, you're saying I should gateway whenever it's up?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •