Poll: Did you find this Guide Useful?

Page 47 of 119 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I always regretted that I wasn't around to do the Felsteed quest line the hard way. Now I feel like I got in on some cool, challenging (for me) Warlock cred.

That said...I still think the red fire looks better. But I'll roll green for a while. Until everyone else has it anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love the putrid feeling of RoF but I'm split on whether I like the green fire or not.
    Maybe it's because I run a orange / red reforge that it doesn't fit. Time to buy T3 from the BMAH.

Anyway, regarding the fight.
    For me the break or make ability was proper dispelling so you never get the imp on your shoulder.
    Once I sacrificed my imp it turned into a walk in the park.
    If Blizzard can manage to keep up very tuned fights like these I wouldn't mind more solo content for all classes.
    I had loads of fun trying out different strategies and the feeling of finally getting it down was awesome.

I'd say Destro is optimal due to the SB spam you can do at the end on the third imp wave if you're slightly undergeared.
    I also believe you should use your 10m demon (Keep forgetting the name..) at the pull since you won't spend 1 min below 20%.

Killed it on my 6th pull without any research on how it's done or what the boss does. Really fun, challenging encounter - I sincerely hope they do more stuff like this.

I see some people struggling about interrupting both Chaos Bolt + Cataclysm. You can use gateway/teleport to line of sight the Chaos Bolt so that it doesn't hit you. That way you only need to interrupt Cataclysm. In instances where you can't LoS in time, you can Sacrifical Pact + Unending resolve to mitigate all of the damage.

Killed as affliction.

Admittedly it was pretty close on the enrage (had 17 seconds left on Doom) but I also wasn't really focusing on min/maxing dps and could probably save a lot of time by soaking more Chaos Bolts instead of LoSing.

Spent a good portion of yesterday on it, but finally got it at 496. My biggest issue was Felhunters + pet micro. A bit frustrating, but I would bet that with 10 iLevels of gear it will be fairly trivial. I will enjoy my green fire while very few else have it. I would bet money that at sub-500 iLvl less than 5% of warlocks will ever be able to beat that boss.

I did it as Affliction with a 491 ilvl. The Felhunters, unsurprisingly, were my biggest issue. What worked for me was the 'move the pitlord behind the portal' tactic. But to ensure I didn't get an unplanned dispel of the enslave this was my strategy.

Move the pitlord behind the portal right after catclysm.
    Ensure I have 3 shards ready to go.
    Position myself opposite of the pitlord and the instant 1st felhunter spawns SB:SS it and MG it.
    The instant the 2nd felhunter spawns SB:SS it and MG it.
    The instant the 3rd felhunter spawns SB:SS it and then Drain Soul it (explained next)
    Then you have 3 felhunters on you. You have the pitlord charge the 3rd (which is farthest back) then use his breath weapon on them. They literally melt in an instant from the charge stun and increase damage taken.

Every time I got the pitlord behind the portal before they spawned I never got a dispel unless I screwed up. You don't need to move so you don't need to have them spinning around.

During the first doomlord summon, I dismiss the pitlord and re-enslave. And make sure to resummon your demon portal somewhere in the middle of the fight.

I won with about 10 seconds left on ultimate doom. Although I had a potion ready if I wasn't going to make it.

I also delayed the curse of ultimate doom by a significant amount of time. If you use your first charge to disrupt it and go all out on the boss for a bit, he won't cast it until after the first wave of imps. I know this has all been said before, but this is what worked for me. The key to this encounter for the lower ilvl folks is practice and execution. It felt phenomenal when I got the kill.

Quote Originally Posted by calanos View Post
    Spent a good portion of yesterday on it, but finally got it at 496. My biggest issue was Felhunters + pet micro. A bit frustrating, but I would bet that with 10 iLevels of gear it will be fairly trivial. I will enjoy my green fire while very few else have it. I would bet money that at sub-500 iLvl less than 5% of warlocks will ever be able to beat that boss.
    Your making me blush I did it in pvp gear without hit cap. But honestly it's all about understanding the mechanics

Just got it done last night with ilvl 483, took be about 100 or so pulls and over 3k gold in repairs. Very frustrating at times but if you keep at it you will get it eventually. I had to take multiple strats and do what worked best for me. Had the pitlord tank both doom guards rather than ccing them, killed fel pups behind the portal and aggro'd them with RoF so they would no face the pitlord preventing them from dispelling my enslave. Breathe timing for dispelling yourself is important and using the pitlords stun as much as you possibly can to max your dps is big to. It takes perfection for the most part depending on your gear but it is possible with an ilvl 480ish just a lot less room for error. Keep at it, it will come. Don't expect a nerf anytime soon its been stated that they will not nerf it anytime soon but may eventually but I wouldn't count on it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm getting the bitch to about 30% when it's just too much. The 2nd set of felhunters screws everything up because I don't have cooldowns ready.
    I'm starting to regret I stopped PvEing. With 4set this would be a complete joke.

edit; just wiped at about 5% to doom... now I REALLY regret I didnt PvE more.
    Last edited by UR1L; 2013-03-12 at 05:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dylis View Post
    Just got it done last night with ilvl 483, took be about 100 or so pulls and over 3k gold in repairs. Very frustrating at times but if you keep at it you will get it eventually. I had to take multiple strats and do what worked best for me. Had the pitlord tank both doom guards rather than ccing them, killed fel pups behind the portal and aggro'd them with RoF so they would no face the pitlord preventing them from dispelling my enslave. Breathe timing for dispelling yourself is important and using the pitlords stun as much as you possibly can to max your dps is big to. It takes perfection for the most part depending on your gear but it is possible with an ilvl 480ish just a lot less room for error. Keep at it, it will come. Don't expect a nerf anytime soon its been stated that they will not nerf it anytime soon but may eventually but I wouldn't count on it.
    It will be naturally nerfed via gear. As people gear up in 5.2 LFR and normals/new sha etc it will become significantly easier. At 522+ it will be trivial and everyone will have it. But for a while i think it will be pretty rare

---------- Post added 2013-03-12 at 01:23 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by UR1L View Post
    I'm getting the bitch to about 30% when it's just too much. The 2nd set of felhunters screws everything up because I don't have cooldowns ready.
    I'm starting to regret I stopped PvEing. With 4set this would be a complete joke.
    I saved both my 2nd pot and Doomguard for right before the 2nd felhunters wave. Worked out fairly well

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    Yes. Because it happens the first time too. And yes.

Funny, a quest chain that was supposed to make you love being a Warlock has resulted me in hating mine. Even when I beat it (Which I will probably just have to outgear it because of how utterly fucking stupid the mechanics are), I'm not going to like it. I can already tell. People going "Oh well once you beat it you'll realize how great an encounter it is" are full of crap. I've hit a point where I am so infuriated that I want to physically choke somebody at how dumb they've made the skill bar for a cosmetic change.
    Preach on, brotha. Preach on.

I've been playing since Vanilla, I've faced many bosses in their earliest iterations, and at one point I was in a guild ranked #34 in progression world-wide, during ICC, having downed Marrowgar and Lady Deathwhisper the same night of release. I don't mean to sound conceited by any means -- because I recognize that there are still plenty of people, many on these forums, who are better than me. However, I'd say I'm certainly a well-above-average player, and for this fight to be practically impossible for *me*, I should think speaks volumes. Bare in mind, I've spent well over 30 hours this week working on the boss, so I've certainly seen the fight enough to get to knowing his mechanics.

Its also fun when you try to argue that it's legitimately too hard for a cosmetic change and you're automatically regulated into the column of being a terrible player.
    So you want everything handed to you?

Even if there was no cosmetic change, I'd still want to do this, it's a fun fight. It's extremely challenging and that's what makes it fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    Done for today. I get the mechanics n shit done right I just don't have the dps to go with it. Even in LFR 4set gear this would be a complete joke to do. Now I'm just so pissed off I forget things like sacrifice and shit.

Well played Blizzard...well played.

Quote Originally Posted by Banawani View Post
    So you want everything handed to you?

Even if there was no cosmetic change, I'd still want to do this, it's a fun fight. It's extremely challenging and that's what makes it fun.
    I agree. I bitched about it being hard as hell but I stuck with it and when I finally got
    Him down I yelled irl I was so pumped it really
    Makes you feel amazing that your like one of 5% of warlocks who can actually
    Down him. I promise you guys if you get him down you won't want them to nerf it.

10+ Year Old Account

Welp. I guess I'll wait until ToT LFR is out.

Quote Originally Posted by calanos View Post
    It will be naturally nerfed via gear. As people gear up in 5.2 LFR and normals/new sha etc it will become significantly easier. At 522+ it will be trivial and everyone will have it. But for a while i think it will be pretty rare
    Ya thats true, but I mean right now people are complaining and expecting a nerf soon...

edit; just wiped at about 5% to doom... now I REALLY regret I didnt PvE more.
    I had multiple wipes at under 10% I feel your pain. I saved my DS/trinket for the fel pup phases (other than right off the pull) and used it on the last imp phase (when he was at 15% or so) while dropping RoF on the imps and spamming SB and his face melted.

If you are dying from unending doom then go buy a few Purification pots so you can give yourself more time, this is what I had to do being ilvl 483 and not being able to beat that time.

Deleted
    Few tips;

Charging with the Pit Lord = 100% increase dmg taken on the target for 6-7 seconds.
    Unbound Will + Sacced Imp = 15 seconds single dispel + 1 minute "remove all debuffs from you". This including the Pit Lord breath will mean that you won't ever get annoying imp stuns.
    If you have trouble with Fel Hunters, consider speccing into Howl of Terror and stand under the gateway where they spawn and finish them off one by one.
    Glyph Enslave Demon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dylis View Post
    I had multiple wipes at under 10% I feel your pain. I saved my DS/trinket for the fel pup phases (other than right off the pull) and used it on the last imp phase (when he was at 15% or so) while dropping RoF on the imps and spamming SB and his face melted.

If you are dying from unending doom then go buy a few Purification pots so you can give yourself more time, this is what I had to do being ilvl 483 and not being able to beat that time.
    I'll probably be able to kill it with my current gear, 384 with no set bonuses, but it would be ALOT easier with a reduced cooldown on Dark Soul. I'll have to try again tomorrow though as the boss made ME hit MY enrage timer and I play horrible when I'm mad haha! :P

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Love it. Thanks for confirming my theory. You know, I never understood the whole argument about "nerfing raids vs keeping them exclusive," and I've usually not taken a side despite always wondering why people cared if something they had already beaten was changed, but I've realized something about people like yourself. You have now opened my eyes. You don't see those who disagree with you and/or can't do it as worthy, and automatically dismiss any and all talk about changing the mechanic that you or others have beaten into the exact same category, ie: suggesting that anybody who brings up the difficulty or something means they want it be nerfed it into effortlessness. Gotta love fallacies.
    An equal fallacy is someone clamoring for nerfs because they can't do something that, in the end, is simply a cosmetic change that doesn't have any real in-game benefit beyond the value the color green has to the individual. Since it's been proven that gear will make it increasingly easier, and average players who adhere to the mechanics beat it, I don't see any reason it should be nerfed in any way. It'll be nerfed in the coming weeks and months far enough as gear improves. Players wanting green fire NOW isn't justification for the nerf. And that's the crux, you want the fire now instead of waiting for your gear to improve in the coming weeks that it will and then come back to it then. Somehow you believe that you deserve it now. The only criteria that proves you deserve it now is your ability to kill the guy, and if you fail that, you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    Preach on, brotha. Preach on.

I've been playing since Vanilla, I've faced many bosses in their earliest iterations, and at one point I was in a guild ranked #34 in progression world-wide, during ICC, having downed Marrowgar and Lady Deathwhisper the same night of release. I don't mean to sound conceited by any means -- because I recognize that there are still plenty of people, many on these forums, who are better than me. However, I'd say I'm certainly a well-above-average player, and for this fight to be practically impossible for *me*, I should think speaks volumes. Bare in mind, I've spent well over 30 hours this week working on the boss, so I've certainly seen the fight enough to get to knowing his mechanics.
    I finished it after a few hours of wiping to him, and calling me anything better than an average player is one hell of a stretch. I have videos up showing that fact. I paid attention to the mechanics though, and played them correctly instead of trying to soak or ignore any of them (despite the fact that I found with soul leech you could ignore RoF and the Pit Lord's breath, I still took the minimum damage possible because I'd mess up in other areas where I needed that shield to survive). If you're having that much of an issue, perhaps you're not the well-above-average player you think you are? Or perhaps you're trying to either ignore or trivialize parts of the fight you can't? That seems more likely.
    After being Medieve the Uberpally for many years, finally shelved in favor of Belledanna, the Uberlock!!! (patent pending)

-Unretired as of the launch of 6.0! Currently guild shopping. Need a good Warlock? I need a good home!

One thing that also made a huge difference for me was making sure to re-enslave the Pit Lord during the 1st Doomguard phase. I realized after a while that the duration of Enslave was often breaking during the 2nd Felhunters phase even though i was executing correctly. So what I was chalking up to a bad mechanic was in fact me being bad. Once I started doing that, I immediately started having MUCH less of an issue with the fel pups and wiped 2x to imps killing me before I finished my execute, then got it.

I'll probably be able to kill it with my current gear, 384 with no set bonuses, but it would be ALOT easier with a reduced cooldown on Dark Soul. I'll have to try again tomorrow though as the boss made ME hit MY enrage timer and I play horrible when I'm mad haha! :P
    I assume you mean 484 lol if not then I think I know the problem lol. If you use DS right at the start it will be available again when fel pups come out and should be ready for each fel pup phase after that, remember to have at least 3 embers for the pups as well and only use DS for the fel pups until you hit the imp phase and he is below 20% so you can really melt him with DS and infinit SB's. I have a hard time playing when I'm mad to, I actually had to get up and walk around just to calm down a bit after my 5% wipe and then killed him 2 pulls later. GL and keep going, you are so close...