I'll try to write down everything i found useful fot the fight (bad english, i'm not native, you'll get it anyway). You can manage to get the kill without some of this looooong wot i wrote down, it's up to you.
First some initial tips that will make the fight more relaxing and funny:
- the fight is really unforgiving, it requires you to master and use all your abilities
- prepare for the fight. Don't attempt it without flasks, potions and with a good ilvl. You can, and will, manage to down the boss without any help but they will make it much easier
- macro the abilities you'll use and bind them
- approach every phase as a seperated one. Once you'll get through a imp, hound and doom phase you'll see the light at the end of tunnel
- keep trying. Don't quit. Take a deep breath, a coffe, hug your boy/girlfriend if you have one and if don't go outside and hug the first person you meet. The order is random. Keep trying (i've played this class for almost 8 years and the fight tooked me 30 attempts)
Before the fight
1 Prepare your spec
I picked up destro but regardless the spec you choose these talents are mandatory:
- Soul Leech (will shield you for the whole fight)
- Sacrifical Pact (for pit lord shield)
- GrimOfSacrifice (you'll not use any pet)
- Kil'jaeden's Cunning (since the fight involves a lot of movement)
Very useful talents/glyphs:
- Shadowfury (to stun imps and hounds)
- Unbound Will (to remove the seed if you can't use your pit lord's breath)
- Ensalve demon (to reduce the time needed to enlsave the pit lord)
- Fear (to deal with the hounds)
2 Macros and Interface
Prepare the macros for the pit lord's abilities and bind them. You can find them in every guide/video on the internet.
- Target you Breath macro. Bind it to a handy key since you'll use it a lot
- Heal macro (pit lord's heal + Ember tap). Use this for the "oh shit" situations. In the end you can down the boss without using it once but is very useful for the learning phase
- Charge. You can just target the boss and click the stun ability but hey, macro are there to help you out.
- Enslave. See above
- Target imp + fel breath. I've never used this in my kill try but i don't find a reason to not to have it.
- Focus Frame the boss. Focus cast bar visible. Focus's target frame too. You must know if he's casting a caos bolt at you. And it's very useful to target him again when you are done with imps and hounds
- Bind all your classic abilities (Unbond will, Soulshatter, HS, Fear, Banish) if you didn't and be sure to know where to find them. You'll not have the time to look for them on your keyboard or screen through the fight
- know your debuffs. You must be aware of the seed of terrible destruction running out to dispel it. Believe me, you don't wont the annoying imp to interrupt your caos bolt during the second hounds phase and wipe you with the boss at 15%. I killed a lovely tiger puppy for that.
- Place your demonic gateway down, you'll use it a lot. I found the best position is inside the center room circle, one just in front of the big gateway and the other on the other side.
- Look to the pillars behind the gateway. You'll use one of them to get los for you or your pit lord.
Here we are. Again, think about this boss as a 3 phase fight. Learn how to deal with the first and move to the next one. Once you can manage to go thorugh all 3 of them you are done.
- Keep using your gateway to get aggro reduction. If used properly the boss will not cast a single caos bolt at you, the number of debuff to remove will be much lower and he will cast the wipe-you-curse late in the fight (on the down try he cast it on me just before the first imp phase)
- Place yourself behind the boss (you sould be in the center of the room) and spam fel-breath. Don't forget to use it at every cd to maximize your dps.
- Use stun at cd when you are comfortable with cataclysm cd. If the boss just casted cata you can use the stun at cd to maximize your dps. This is specially useful for lower ilvl but it's a good tip for everyone. On my first good attempt i managed to bring him to 20% before the curse expired. On the kill attempt i had 1.30 left when i killed him.
- If you see the boss casting a cb at you (focus frame, remember?) use the "oh shit" heal and sacrifical pact. You will survive! (as stated by gloria gaynor). But if you used the gateway properly you ain't gonna need this
- remember to use soulshatter
- remember to dismiss and enslave the pit lord (if you don't, you'll cry. And you will kill some lovely dodo puppy too)
- You have a good dps window. Pop all your dps cd and burn the shit of out him (CoE + Potion + CFx2 + Incineratex4 + CB + CB ...). In 505 ilvl (destro) the boss was at 87% when he finished to summon the pit lord. Enslave the pit lord and start using it's abilities.
3 Imp Phase
There are different strategies to deal with this one. I'll write the one worked best for me.
- Lay down 3 rain of fire at the portal
- Use the gateway
- Imps will move torwards you
- FB-Conf + FB incinerate spam + Raind of fire + Shadowfury
- Fel breath as needed
It will take 6-7 seconds to bring all of them down. Is really important you find the best way to kill the imps very fast cause you'll have more time to dps the boss and prepare for the hounds phase.
4 Felhunter Phase
A lot of people are struggling with this one. The key is to kill the imps fast and be ready for it.
- Place your pit lord behind a pillar and move yourself to the opposite side of the room. This is done to avoid the felhunter devour magic that will cancel your enslave demon. You can leave the pit lord to deal with the boss and move yourself behind the pillar but you'll have less space to deal with the hounds. Anyway it's up to you, both work well
- Drop a ROF on the portal
- Pop dps CD. CB+Conf+SB the first hound.
- Fear+havoc the second
- CB the third + shadowfury
- finish them
if done right the 3 poor puppies will not have the time to see how beatiful this world is. Literally.
I think this is the best moment to dismiss and enslave the pit lord again since you have to deal with the boss only.
5 Doom Phase
Easiest. Make the pit lord attack it for few second than put him on the boss again. If don't attack the doom by mistake it will focus on the pit lord the whole fight
6 The circle of life
The fight is over. You have to deal with phase 3-4-5 again and again, just DON'T PANIC. If you made it through once, you can make it twice and it will be all over.