Poll: Did you find this Guide Useful?

Page 88 of 119 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I was at ilvl 522 when I did it so it wasn't overly challenging but I managed to kill him right after he summoned the first doomguard so I never even came close to the second set of dogs. The one thing I had read that help a lot was that you can use charge much more often than just to interrupt his cataclysm. Lowers the damage you take and increases the damage he takes. Just get the timing down to make sure you still have the charge up for when he does cast cataclysm and the dude should melt.

10+ Year Old Account
    1) Chaos Bolt casting on you or not = threat issues aka use Gateway more often ....like every time its up.
    2)Fel Puppies eating you or not = Pit Lord nearby and/or Threat issues. Move Pit Lord behind the pillar, soul shatter so that Kanrethad would attack him after, put him on neutral and aggro the fel puppies and kill em quick. Don't forget to macro stun when he is casting his cataclysm.
    3)You don't need to LoS anything. If you keep using Gateway to drop threat there is no reason why any CB/DoTs would target you. If it is use Sac Pact to live and heal up ...although it should not happen. Have him on focus and use focus target to see who it is targeting while you are busy with w/e
    4) There is no need to Banish anything really. If you keep using gateway then Pit Lord will tank everything.
    5) if you are about hit hit enrage time keep Purification Potion hande to remove the Doom before it expires to give you few more min as by then you are probably dealing with 3 doomguards which can be tricky.

I killed it with around 500 ilvl (501 or something like that) without LoSing and just after 3rd fel puppy phase with just under 2min left on enrage. I was slow mainly because of the time i took to kill fel puppies.

Quote Originally Posted by Harthmut View Post
    Ohh i see.
    Well, i guess i also have to improve my gear.
    I manage to kill 2 dogs before enslave demon fades.

The dogs are the only problem. I can deal with the rest, no problem. But the dogs... the damn dogs...
    What's your ilv? I did it at 490 ilv. I put up ROF by the portal then i used shadowfury to stun them. Also, I popped soulshatter as they were coming out so that I definitely don't have aggro and won't get chaos bolted while busy trying to do other things. As for your enslave demon, I refreshed it during the third summon.

Another tip for a little more min-maxing, try to pre-cast your chaos bolt so that it lands right as you use pit lord's charge and follow it up with another chaos bolt for some massive damage.
    Last edited by blackpink; 2013-04-26 at 09:29 PM.

For any warlocks still struggling...

I recently finished the warlock-only scenario: Pursuing the Black Harvest.. The last boss, Kanrethad Ebonlocke is the ultimate test on how well you can play your lock..

He uses all three different specialization spells and summons a variety of demons. I started the questline at 484 gear level and slowly progressed through each phase of the fight. Even when I got better gear, 502 gear level I had issues until I found this video on youtube referred by a friend:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9CORoqJE0g

Probably the best green fire help video.. He narrates every single step of the the fight. Listen to it first before watching it.

---------- Post added 2013-04-27 at 04:13 AM ----------

Lot of people seem to think Blizzard will nerf this boss..

I dont see why they need to.. When I got my warlock better gear, I was at 502 when I ended up killing him, and I was (with Dark soul+ trinket) oneshotted 2 of the felhunters.

The key is simply Pit Lord management (essentially, Pet management) and Debuff management,

DO NOT WORRY ABOUT DPS.

Focus on staying alive and keeping aggro off you and ON the Pit lord.

Omen, a Raid Threat addon might help you with aggro issues.

IM me in game if anyone needs further help.

Meira#1501

Warlock: Mordbereth@Eitrigg.

---------- Post added 2013-04-27 at 04:15 AM ----------

Imagine how much people in the NEXT raid finder gear will be doing... I imagine it will be 530 or 540 ilvl then.

Dont get discouraged.

Deleted
    Just did it, around my 10th try. iLvL 473 - Was hoping to get it done at a lower ilvl, but this was comfortable for me.

Reasons I was dying:

Not Soulshattering during Felhunter summon
    Not using Gateway before 3rd Imp Phase
    Not making sure I line my Felhunters up properly

Once I did all of those, I was fine. ALMOST forgot to re-enslave during the second Doomlord, and very nearly forgot my purification potion as well. If you can get past the 2nd Felhunter phase, you've basically done the fight. GL

Not as bad as people say, completed this as a ilvl 481 desto lock.

Deleted
    Can kill this in 120 seconds at 527 item level, its not exactly a challenge once you know how the mechanics of it work, and ofc hitting hard helps to.

10+ Year Old Account
    DO NOT WORRY ABOUT DPS.
    Well that depends on if you do it with or without the purification potion, if you are using it. of course you don't need to care about DPS. But If one didn't use the potion, and had to squeeze out as much DPS as I could. Though I didn't have amazing gear either when I did it, so it was a very close kill.

Dont get discouraged
    Best advice there is.

Quote Originally Posted by TylerN View Post
    Well that depends on if you do it with or without the purification potion, if you are using it. of course you don't need to care about DPS. But If one didn't use the potion, and had to squeeze out as much DPS as I could. Though I didn't have amazing gear either when I did it, so it was a very close kill.

Best advice there is.
    Those potions are very cheap to make. If your gear level is under 500 ilvl, which this fight was tuned for, make sure to have a handful when doing this..

Also another tip is this:

If you are having lot of issue with it like I did, focus on each phase of the fight only. Master each phase will perfect your own timing in fighting them. Go in the mindset of practice makes perfect because it does.

My personal kill attempt in which I obtained green fire for my warlock, I just went in for another practice. I had already mastered the the imp phase, the felhunter phases and the Doom lord phase and sought to master the final phase of Imps.

Quote Originally Posted by Castor Krieg View Post

The fight is 0% chance, 100% skill.
    So much this.

The strat in the video is really good. Biggest difference for me was the timings of aggro resets so i didn't had to bother with chaos bolts.
    Letting imps alive for some time so i had embers to CB Kanrethad + using 2, 3 chaos bolts after each cataclysm interrupt are big dps improvements. At ilvl 492 i downed him after 2nd Felhunter stage.

Done it. Now gief more plx this warlock likes a challenge!

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty solid strat to be honest.

Not worth it. Fight helped me decide to switch classes. Having more fun. Win!

Quote Originally Posted by Harthmut View Post
    First of all... Am I stupid?
    But I find this boss (Kanrethad) highly frustrating.
    No, not because it's too hard, i really like the challenge he provides, but damn... I have the feeling he's very inconsistent with his moves.
    You can tell when he's going for cataclysm or the summons and shit, that's cool. But some times his fel hunters CAN cast devour magic on my pit lord through the pillars, some times they can't, sometimes Kanrethad will cast chaos bolt on me, the other time he won't... Every time I think I got him, he turns the damn blade on me.

If he behaved the same every time i encounter him, I'm sure i could've killed him by now.
    But every time I'm like, "gotcha now!", he pulls some stupid deus ex machina bs that kills me instantly.

An example.
    I have him down to the point where he summons the dogs.
    I cast rain of fire on the portal they spawn from to instantly gain aggro.
    I teleport around the pillar, my pit lord CLEARLY out of sight for them. Then suddenly, when I killed the first dog and have the second one down to like, half of it's hp, either the pit lord moves in such a weird way, he runs into line of sight and gets dispelled or the dog suddenly decides it's time to turn around and run straight into kanrethad, dispelling my pit lord. And sometimes both of it doesn't happen and he just gets dispelled without me noticing anything at all.

I understand the tactics involved, and if i died thanks to the enrage timer or me being too stupid I'd be like... well, maybe when they decide to nerf him one day I'll get my green fire, but when I keep dieing to random stuff like that, that's when the shit hits the fan...

Just my 2 cents
    You may flame me now
    the randomness of his moves adds to the difficulty of the fight, i spent the better part of a day just grinding this constantly, it takes knowing the fight and how to react when he throws you a curveball and also a bit of luck to finally down him, just keep at it, its very doable just hard and takes a long time, oh and also, i would advice making macros for everything

---------- Post added 2013-04-28 at 01:50 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by lettuce View Post
    Not worth it. Fight helped me decide to switch classes. Having more fun. Win!
    it is worth it, it shows your dedication and skill at a class, but i guess jumping from one class to another without excelling at any one class works for some people
    Last edited by tychicus; 2013-04-28 at 07:52 AM.

And judging while attempting to feel superior works for others.

In the end it's about what is fun. It is a game after all. To each his or her own.

The Felhunters will devour the magic, regardless of LoS, if they SEE the pitlord in anyway. Even if it's with their peripherals, apparently. So what I did was spam RoF on the portal and then slow back peddle at an angle so they couldn't possible see the Pitlord, then just Soul Shattered and did my thing.

Also, don't ever use Charge on a Chaos Bolt. IF you fuck up and can't LoS it, a Sacrificial Pack from full will keep you alive (you'll have to quickly Healthstone and Ember Tap though 'cause you'll be at a good 5% health.

But yea, as long as you're constantly dumping aggro, he won't cast Chaos Bolt on you.
    As long as you don't let the Felhunter's see your Pitlord, they won't devour the enslave.

I was able to kill him with a 487 ilvl, so gear shouldn't really be an issue. And the Felhunters don't hit that hard. Havoc one, CDs Chaos Bolt another Conflag, Shadowburn swap to the Havoced one, Conflag, Shadowburn, pump the last hunter with 2 fast Chaos Bolts and Shadowburn again.

If you need to pop Sac and a healthstone before they're even out of the gate and even with them wailing on you, you can take some time killing them.

Soul Shattering after you have aggro on all 3 is really important.

I also am not sure how your enslaves are all ending before/during the Felhunter phase. I would only ever have to recast my Enslave while he was summoning a Doomlord, and never before, but that was me. /shrug.

---------- Post added 2013-04-28 at 02:56 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by MrHappy View Post
    5) if you are about hit hit enrage time keep Purification Potion hande to remove the Doom before it expires to give you few more min as by then you are probably dealing with 3 doomguards which can be tricky.

I killed it with around 500 ilvl (501 or something like that) without LoSing and just after 3rd fel puppy phase with just under 2min left on enrage. I was slow mainly because of the time i took to kill fel puppies.
    I don't believe you actually killed him.
    Last edited by Boogums; 2013-04-28 at 08:05 AM.
    "So my advice is to argue based on the reasons stated, not try to make up or guess at reasons and argue those."
    Greg Street, Riot Developer - 12:50 PM - 25 May 2015

And judging while attempting to feel superior works for others.

In the end it's about what is fun. It is a game after all. To each his or her own.
    don't get offended

and while i dont feel superior because that fight is doable for anyone who sticks with it hard enough i do feel a large sense of satisfaction on my ability to play my class well enough to do the fight and earn green fire
    Last edited by tychicus; 2013-04-28 at 08:00 AM.

Easy to say. Harder to mean.

Trying endlessly to finish something while not having fun isn't a good way to spend time IMO.
    I'm glad that some people seems to be enjoying it, but I am finding that this masochistic trial is not worth
    it but... at the same time not having green fire that I've wanted since BC makes it impossible to enjoy the
    class without completing it anymore either. It's just the game's way of telling me to either hang up my class
    or the game, methinks. Heart just isn't in it anymore.

Easy to say. Harder to mean.

Trying endlessly to finish something while not having fun isn't a good way to spend time IMO.
    I'm glad that some people seems to be enjoying it, but I am finding that this masochistic trial is not worth
    it but... at the same time not having green fire that I've wanted since BC makes it impossible to enjoy the
    class without completing it anymore either. It's just the game's way of telling me to either hang up my class
    or the game, methinks. Heart just isn't in it anymore.
    If you cba to nut up, then yea, should quit.

Or you could l2p this class you've been playing since BC and kill the boss. Either way, you can definitely phrase your opinions better to not come off so pompous and insufferable.
    "So my advice is to argue based on the reasons stated, not try to make up or guess at reasons and argue those."
    Greg Street, Riot Developer - 12:50 PM - 25 May 2015

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrHappy View Post
    1) Chaos Bolt casting on you or not = threat issues aka use Gateway more often ....like every time its up.
    2)Fel Puppies eating you or not = Pit Lord nearby and/or Threat issues. Move Pit Lord behind the pillar, soul shatter so that Kanrethad would attack him after, put him on neutral and aggro the fel puppies and kill em quick. Don't forget to macro stun when he is casting his cataclysm.
    3)You don't need to LoS anything. If you keep using Gateway to drop threat there is no reason why any CB/DoTs would target you. If it is use Sac Pact to live and heal up ...although it should not happen. Have him on focus and use focus target to see who it is targeting while you are busy with w/e
    4) There is no need to Banish anything really. If you keep using gateway then Pit Lord will tank everything.

1) Depending on your dps (not entirely dependent on item level, but rather your ability to maintain sufficient dps on kanrathad), banishing one of the doom lords can mean the difference between your pit lord surviving long enough for you to kill kanrethad or to wipe when it dies.
    2) While it is true that using Gateway on cooldown will prevent any chaosbolts, using gateway on CD will never prevent Kanrethad from dotting you (though it is true that perfect upkeep of the Gateway threat drop can prevent Ultimate Doom from being cast until after the pit lord summoning).
    3) There are only two (2) doomguard phases, thus having three doomguards active is impossible.
    4) There are only two (2) fel puppy phases, so having a third fell puppy phase is impossible (and thus having killed him just after said third phase is impossible). I tend to agree with Roflifier
    Last edited by yoma; 2013-04-28 at 08:23 AM.