Poll: Did you find this Guide Useful?

Page 32 of 119 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorfie View Post
    The warlock in my raid group got one off his first rare, then proceeded to wipe to the final boss over 2 days. He gave he his account info and after never playing a warlock at 90 I set keybinds up and got it in 3 hours. It's really not that hard, figure out how to burst the fel hounds down, make sure you use singe magic on cooldown and sac pac all the chaos bolts.
    Hah, wish I had a friend capable of that. I've spent probably close to 30 hours now working on this guy, and it's just not happening for me. I tried the strat where you just wait at the bottom of the stairs and try to kill the demons that way, but I run into an issue where I simply can't kill the Doom Lord fast enough, and in fact, I wound up having to face two Doom Lords at the same time. I've had maybe two attempts with that strat, where I actually managed to kill his demons, but then he began spamming Imps faster than I could kill them.

When I actually try to fight him "legit", and stay on the upper platform, for some reason I'm just not able to sustain the damage that him, his dots, and the Imps are putting out, even when spamming the crap out of Ember Tap, Sac-Pac, and the Pit Lord heal. I've always considered myself one of the better players, and maybe it's just my gear is lacking, but I just don't know if I'm capable of doing this whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by squidbear View Post
    nah i really don't get it, seems entirely RNG. I send my Pit Lord to the furthest corner of the room so he reaches it exactly as the boss summons the first felhound, I blow DS and Havoc one, then instantly I'm interrupted by the DoTs on me, run out of RoF and the Felhound has removed my Command Demon and the boss is casting Chaos Bolt. fuck this.
    this is the point i cannot get past as well, even when i instagib 2/3 felhunters the 3rd one that kinda hangs back in the portal when they are summoned always takes of my enslaved demon and i get hit with a cb a few secs later

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    Hah, wish I had a friend capable of that. I've spent probably close to 30 hours now working on this guy, and it's just not happening for me. I tried the strat where you just wait at the bottom of the stairs and try to kill the demons that way, but I run into an issue where I simply can't kill the Doom Lord fast enough, and in fact, I wound up having to face two Doom Lords at the same time. I've had maybe two attempts with that strat, where I actually managed to kill his demons, but then he began spamming Imps faster than I could kill them.

When I actually try to fight him "legit", and stay on the upper platform, for some reason I'm just not able to sustain the damage that him, his dots, and the Imps are putting out, even when spamming the crap out of Ember Tap, Sac-Pac, and the Pit Lord heal. I've always considered myself one of the better players, and maybe it's just my gear is lacking, but I just don't know if I'm capable of doing this whatsoever.
    Make sure Ember Tap isn't glyphed or you can't spam it. Make a macro that uses twilight ward at the same time as sac-pac (sac pac isn't on the global). I used glyphed health stone + dark regen when fel hunters were coming. It's really important to singe magic on cooldown. The longer you leave agony on you the more damage it deals.

---------- Post added 2013-03-09 at 04:00 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by weakdots View Post
    this is the point i cannot get past as well, even when i instagib 2/3 felhunters the 3rd one that kinda hangs back in the portal when they are summoned always takes of my enslaved demon and i get hit with a cb a few secs later
    Charge > breath the first fel hunter with the pit lord, then kill it quickly with conflag / incinerate. Havoc the 2nd fel hunter, and chaos bolt the third. By this time your pit lord will be out so use shadow fury to stun it along with the fel hunters. Finish the last 2 fel hunters, take your pit lord back and get ready to charge the boss. Use dark regen + glyphed healthstone here to ensure you are full HP when the chaos bolt comes. Sac + twilight ward > ember tap to survive it as usual.

Deleted
    Guys, why are you sacing pet to absorb chaos bolts taking pointless damage.

You use your warlock teleports to line of site the chaos bolts.

When you get magic debuffs, turn the pit lord towards you and press fel flame. It will damage you a little bit but it will also remove all your magic debuffs every tick. This little damage far compensates for the large tick damage from the dots.

Also the pit lord has A 200k heal every 20 seconds or so that heals you.

Usin this tactic I got it down after 30 or so wipes

Quote Originally Posted by Kontempt View Post
    Guys, why are you sacing pet to absorb chaos bolts taking pointless damage.

You use your warlock teleports to line of site the chaos bolts.

When you get magic debuffs, turn the pit lord towards you and press fel flame. It will damage you a little bit but it will also remove all your magic debuffs every tick. This little damage far compensates for the large tick damage from the dots.

Also the pit lord has A 200k heal every 20 seconds or so that heals you.

Usin this tactic I got it down after 30 or so wipes
    portal are not working atm, or only work one way, can you it to get to LoS the CB but not to return

editortal is working now, but i realized the felhunters eat the enslave demon off of me and not the pit lord
    Last edited by weakdots; 2013-03-09 at 04:38 AM.

Same, also its extremely aggravating when my dispel bugs out and I can't dispel myself since I sent the Pit lord far away.

I'm just genuinely discouraged, I think. I've poured all of my heart and soul into trying to down this guy, and I'm just not seeing any progress whatsoever. I've always considered myself a strong player, but after this experience, I think this guy has just totally broken my will to keep trying. Kudos to those who've managed to down him, but between this and a rather poor first-experience in Challenge Modes earlier this week, I think I'm about ready to hand my Warlock-hat up for a while

Got the green fire today, with 512 ilvl took me about 2hrs to down the last boss. He was pretty challenging but dont despair, with better gear u wont get more than 1 felhunter phase, personally i had to deal twice with those and keep fear+banish on doomguards at the end. Pretty fun fight.

I'm just genuinely discouraged, I think. I've poured all of my heart and soul into trying to down this guy, and I'm just not seeing any progress whatsoever. I've always considered myself a strong player, but after this experience, I think this guy has just totally broken my will to keep trying. Kudos to those who've managed to down him, but between this and a rather poor first-experience in Challenge Modes earlier this week, I think I'm about ready to hand my Warlock-hat up for a while
    I feel exactly like this.

Finally got it http://www.twitch.tv/magliowow/c/2003590 streamed it had like 50 viewers watching lol. Def had a close moment in there with first set of felhunters, rebanished felhunter and enslaved demon and charged cata when it had .4 seconds left on cast. lol If I didn't have Enslave Demon glyph there I was done was nuts.

Deleted
    portal are not working atm, or only work one way, can you it to get to LoS the CB but not to return

editortal is working now, but i realized the felhunters eat the enslave demon off of me and not the pit lord
    You do know when you use portal you get a 15 second cool down until you can use the portal again. As chaos bolt is a 5.2 second cast you still have 10-12 seconds left on cool down so you can't use it straight after.

The Gateway appears to be broken. Perhaps Blizzard manually disabled it during this encounter?

The Gateway appears to be broken. Perhaps Blizzard manually disabled it during this encounter?
    Gateways don't work on the grate. Just place the gateway off to the side of the grate and it works fine.

I killed him tonight. It took some work and figuring out the pet abilities but I was able to manage it once I became comfortable using them. One thing that helped me a lot was making sure to use the charge ability for the bonus damage when I could. You should be able to use it twice before the first cataclysm and once between each cataclysm thereafter. Doing that I was able to kill him before the second set of felhunters were spawned.

When he was at around 9% hp I used charge and shadownburned him 3 times in a row and he dropped to zero.

Holy crap this is the hardest thing I've ever done in the game. Best attempt so far was getting him to low 30s, died during 2nd set of Felhunters. I could have managed the charge stun / chaos bolts better to get a lot more damage in ... just so much going on this fight. But man it's fun.

So I think I can possibly get him before 2nd set of felhunters if I charge more often ... but I've had at least a couple wipes to being overzealous with it and not having it for Cataclysm ... so, we'll see. If nothing else, if I can survive 2nd set of felhunters I got this.
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

Downed this guy as affliction 499.

Had a lot of wipes but I can still say this was so great to have a difficult solo challenge in the game again and once you get the strat right, its actually a good encounter as it actually makes you utitilise your abilities as much as possible, and what better setting than BT! imo gj blizz.

Some tips for people that want to do it as affliction
    1. Use your DS on the opener as usual, but after that save it for the felpups, they WILL drop fast this way
    2. Take advantage of the stun debuff by making sure all dots are up with good time left and pre-casting a haunt before you stun
    3. For the imps, ensure you have a couple of soulshards and SB:SoC onto 2 different imps, then detonate them, enjoy lots of shards and self heals if you have siphon life glyph

Some general tips for the encounter
    1. Set up macro for dispel from pit lord /use [insert name] Fel Flame Breath and spam this on cd (make sure you are in range though so Pit lord can stay on boss 15yds)
    2. Set up macro for charge stun /use Charge and keybind this, make sure you have this available for upcoming Cataclysm, but also try to used it as much as possible as this will be the key to you killing him with lower gear levels like maybe 499 and lower
    3. Set up a gateway from where you will be standing to behind a pillar, use this to LoS every chaos bolt, don't port straight away as its a long cast, ensure all dots have plenty of time before you go
    5. When felpups come, make sure you have dispeled yourslef and used the heal form pit lord, and just DS, SB:SS the pups and MG each one, fear (glyphed fear so he stays still) your pit lord, very easy this way
    5. Banish the first doom guard, chain fear the second

I used talents
    Dark Regen - needed this usually on felpups
    Dark Bargain - just in case you get caught out of position from your gateway, you can absorb a chaos bolt with this easy
    Shadowfury - Stun the imps when they begin to spawn and get you SB:SoC up on 2 of them

I used glyphs
    Enslave demon - just makes it a bit easier, stun him with shadowfury when he spawns, enslave
    Healthstone - extra heals
    Siphon Life - OP on imp phase
    Drain life - just for extra healing if needed
    Fear - to make sure your feared pit lord stays in one place during felpups which makes it easier to enslave again

Good luck, to all those that feel like giving up, don't, its so worth it.

Hope this helps someone out.

Note - I cannot post the 'at' symbol which should be inserted before your name in my dispel macro so make sure to insert that in game.

Spent 1 hour wiping as affliction. Respecced destro and got it on 2nd try. Way easier, but its still a hard fight.

I've only gotten past the 1st wave of felhunters ... hrm, I'm so delirious from being tired at this point I can't remember if it was once or twice. I'd been making incremental progress on every attempt up until that point, but for some reason now I just can't get the pups down before things go to hell. Close to 3 full hours of attempts now. I know I've only gotten him to execute once.

This will about be the most gratifying experience I've had with this game when I finally kill him. If I can't get it by tomorrow I think I'll wait until I get a couple more upgrades, give me some more breathing room, although I've seen that folks with much worse gear than me (I'm 498 equipped) have done it.

My hat is off to Blizz for putting this chain in. Xelnath, if you're still keeping up with us over here ... even though I know the end product wasn't fully your work, I gotta say -- thanks, man.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've killed more rares than I care to count...all I know is somewhere along the way I'm nearly exalted with Black Prince from mostly dailies and rare kills. Still no tome in sight.

Decided to call it a night. Keep on dying after I kill the first two felhunters. Just can't get 'em down fast enough to get my Pitlord back for a heal before Chaos Bolt. I'll review strats for some fresh attempts tomorrow ...

Quote Originally Posted by Rahuran View Post
    I've killed more rares than I care to count...all I know is somewhere along the way I'm nearly exalted with Black Prince from mostly dailies and rare kills. Still no tome in sight.
    Same here man. I'm 17k/21k Black Prince. Saw 2 warlocks in low ilvl gear get their tomes on their early kills. I'm pointing out their iLvl because they will never kill the final boss with that gear.

Glorious isn't it?