Poll: Did you find this Guide Useful?

Page 44 of 119 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    ok, so stand behind the pit lord, wait til he has finished channeling, use the pit lords breath targeted on an imp (i have a macro for that) then soul shatter and use my gateway to ensure the aggro is on the pit lord? can i use RoF on the imps to generate embers or will i get the aggro back?
    Battletag: Chris#23952 (EU)
    Warlock

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisLisi1982 View Post
    ok, so stand behind the pit lord, wait til he has finished channeling, use the pit lords breath targeted on an imp (i have a macro for that) then soul shatter and use my gateway to ensure the aggro is on the pit lord? can i use RoF on the imps to generate embers or will i get the aggro back?
    If you macro'd the Fel Breath to target you, you'll want to stand in the portal to hit the imps. I found standing too close to the boss and getting fel-breathed didn't damage the imps nearly at all at that range.

Mostly I used the giant heal to get aggro on the pitlord initially, FnB immolate the imps after they all spawn, hit trinket and RoF with Fel Breath and that would generally take care of them all.

The heal is also useful for getting the Doomguards off you, I didn't bother banishing or fearing either of them during the encounter. Stand near them when you Fel Breath yourself and drop the occasional Siphon Health and you shouldn't have to worry about the Doomguards at all.

Iv been stuck on kanrethad for a week now, with 492 gear =( ill never have green fire.

lol i might wait to have <MOD SNIP> do it for me!

Let's not mention goldsellers here, shall we.
    Last edited by xskarma; 2013-03-11 at 11:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisLisi1982 View Post
    Use ROF right when the imps start coming out, and when you stand behind the pit lord, you want to be a little closer to where his tail starts than half way down his tail. The pit lord should be hitting the boss at this point, so there is no need to target a imp, you can just cast the pit lords fire on the boss and the imps should all be standing on the boss. Wait till all the imps are out before using the pit lords breath. Use F&B and Immolate one time after using the Pit Lords Breath (if you have the Glyph of Syphion Life this will give you loads of health back and save you from using embers for health) ROF one more time to finish the rest off. Using this method I haven't had to use Soul Shatter, and most of the time all the imps are dead, sometimes I get a couple scragglers if I don't wait till they are all out before using the Pit Lords breath.

Still having issues with the pups tho... I've lost count of attempts, but i'm over 1.5k gold in repair bills now

Don't give up!

Quote Originally Posted by Twilight Cultist View Post
    Then you are obviously playing destro wrong. I am Ilvl 498 (dont have T14 4p) and I kill him before the before the 2nd doom guard if I use a flask, and right after if I dont use a flask (i've killed him a few times for fun) I also did the fight with Dragonwrath and my helm unequipped to get me down to Ilvl 464 exactly and I was able to down him a few seconds before hitting the enrage (wasn't using flask or purification pot). Don't blame blizzard because you aren't performing as well as you should. You can do better.
    Agreed. I'm 497 was able to down him just as he began summoning the 2nd round of felpups. I will admit it took almost 100 attempts. On my kill I sacced imp and used unbound will for dispels, used gateways to keep threat down, RoF on imps for lots of CB's, pretty much saved DS for the pit lord's stun which I used on nearly every CD, and sent the pit lord behind a pillar to avoid enslave being dispelled. I believe I only had to soak one CB with sacrificial pact. If i'd remembered to use my doomguard I'd have killed him a bit sooner.

10+ Year Old Account
    Then you are obviously playing destro wrong. I am Ilvl 498 (dont have T14 4p) and I kill him before the before the 2nd doom guard if I use a flask, and right after if I dont use a flask (i've killed him a few times for fun) I also did the fight with Dragonwrath and my helm unequipped to get me down to Ilvl 464 exactly and I was able to down him a few seconds before hitting the enrage (wasn't using flask or purification pot). Don't blame blizzard because you aren't performing as well as you should. You can do better.
    Thanks for your input, but DTR was an absolute pussy compared to this guy. And sorry for not having put any serious effort into a spec that hasn't given me any compelling reasons to put that effort to since Icecrown. I believe I said it was my worst spec, so yeah I fully admit I'm not playing it optimally, there's no need for the mocking tone.

I was also under the impression that the quest wasn't repeatable, but if it is, like most encounters once you have it down once, subsequent kills are much much easier and hold little merrit.

---------- Post added 2013-03-11 at 09:03 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by flew2 View Post
    Agreed. I'm 497 was able to down him just as he began summoning the 2nd round of felpups. I will admit it took almost 100 attempts. On my kill I sacced imp and used unbound will for dispels, used gateways to keep threat down, RoF on imps for lots of CB's, pretty much saved DS for the pit lord's stun which I used on nearly every CD, and sent the pit lord behind a pillar to avoid enslave being dispelled. I believe I only had to soak one CB with sacrificial pact. If i'd remembered to use my doomguard I'd have killed him a bit sooner.
    This on the other hand is useful feedback. I've been zerging the Imps down asap, so this is possibly somewhere I could find some more damage.
    Last edited by Jessicka; 2013-03-11 at 09:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    Thanks for your input, but DTR was an absolute pussy compared to this guy. And sorry for not having put any serious effort into a spec that hasn't given me any compelling reasons to put that effort to since Icecrown.

I was also under the impression that the quest wasn't repeatable, but if it is, like most encounters once you have it down once, subsequent kills are much much easier and hold little merrit.

---------- Post added 2013-03-11 at 09:03 PM ----------

This on the other hand is useful feedback. I've been zerging the Imps down asap, so this is possibly somewhere I could find some more damage.
    subsequent kills are easier due to a better understanding of mechanics. I was just saying that you can do better and shouldn't blame blizzard because you aren't downing the fight because you have the means to do so.

10+ Year Old Account
    subsequent kills are easier due to a better understanding of mechanics. I was just saying that you can do better and shouldn't blame blizzard because you aren't downing the fight because you have the means to do so.
    Where am I blaming Blizzard? My only complaint is the shared icons which have wasted a few attempts, they don't make the fight unbeatable.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd contest that standing in his breath kills me.
    If you talent Soul Leech, the breath damage is completely negated by the shield, meaning you can effectively ignore it and concentrate on keeping DoT's cleared (spamming the Breath, it's a nice boost of damage to the boss and keeps his ability to damage you low). Any additional healing can be covered by the Pit Lord's heal. Even the RoF was covered by most of the shield. Add in Glyph of Siphon Life, and you're getting a steady stream of heals as well. Both mechanics were a non-issue with that talent and glyph at 498 iLevel, and from what others have said, even as low as 485 iLevel.

I started out as Aff for this fight, and just couldn't get down the felpuppies in time. The imps were great though, SB:SoC Corr was giving tons of heals and shards. I probably could have saved some shards and bursted harder, now that I think back on it. My friend couldn't do destro and blew through it as aff though, so it is very possible. Calling either of us anything other than strictly average players is a stretch. We're great with the theory, but others can hit buttons far better than we can. I honestly thought Demo would be the best with it. Extremely good AoE, and easy to blow through the puppies after popping Meta. I think your best bet is to get rid of the addons, they're not helping and Blizzard doesn't design the game with you having to get addons anyway, and play your strongest spec with a few tweaks in talents. Blizzard was nice enough to put a rather large alert that pops up in the middle of your screen for Chaos Bolts and Cataclysms. I even got a few good blood fears off on the felpuppies after they hit me, and it was good for a bit of breathing room.

One thing is certain though. If they make Cataclysm big enough and strong enough, it would be a very effective anti-melee ability .
    After being Medieve the Uberpally for many years, finally shelved in favor of Belledanna, the Uberlock!!! (patent pending)

-Unretired as of the launch of 6.0! Currently guild shopping. Need a good Warlock? I need a good home!

Where am I blaming Blizzard? My only complaint is the shared icons which have wasted a few attempts, they don't make the fight unbeatable.
    I totally misread your post haha. Sorry about that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Medieve View Post
    If you talent Soul Leech, the breath damage is completely negated by the shield, meaning you can effectively ignore it and concentrate on keeping DoT's cleared (spamming the Breath, it's a nice boost of damage to the boss and keeps his ability to damage you low). Any additional healing can be covered by the Pit Lord's heal. Even the RoF was covered by most of the shield. Add in Glyph of Siphon Life, and you're getting a steady stream of heals as well. Both mechanics were a non-issue with that talent and glyph at 498 iLevel, and from what others have said, even as low as 485 iLevel.

I started out as Aff for this fight, and just couldn't get down the felpuppies in time. The imps were great though, SB:SoC Corr was giving tons of heals and shards. I probably could have saved some shards and bursted harder, now that I think back on it. My friend couldn't do destro and blew through it as aff though, so it is very possible. Calling either of us anything other than strictly average players is a stretch. We're great with the theory, but others can hit buttons far better than we can. I honestly thought Demo would be the best with it. Extremely good AoE, and easy to blow through the puppies after popping Meta. I think your best bet is to get rid of the addons, they're not helping and Blizzard doesn't design the game with you having to get addons anyway, and play your strongest spec with a few tweaks in talents. Blizzard was nice enough to put a rather large alert that pops up in the middle of your screen for Chaos Bolts and Cataclysms. I even got a few good blood fears off on the felpuppies after they hit me, and it was good for a bit of breathing room.

One thing is certain though. If they make Cataclysm big enough and strong enough, it would be a very effective anti-melee ability .
    My power auras are for the pit lord ability cooldowns, not the CB or cataclysm, I see them just fine. And believe me I tried Demo for hours but the Imps just destroyed me. The aoe is nice in theory but it lacks the healing returns that Aff and Destro get. And no, the Pit Lord can't keep agro when you're wailing Immolation and Void Ray.

Might also point out I'm at 496 but very sub optimal gear, I'd have about 1k mastery without reforges. Beggars can't be choosers :/

I've seen sub 10% a couple of times and gone way past the Doom timer with purification pots, its just a matter of combining an attempt I can do the damage with one I can the control. Its hard, but I don't think its beyond me and I wouldn't ask for it to be nerfed. I think 5 more item levels and better optimised gear would have converted some attempts to a kill. That is frustrating.
    Last edited by Jessicka; 2013-03-11 at 09:36 PM.

You can do this in sub 480 Ilvl, I am a pvp lock so I had to do a week of lfr and buy all the pvp hit pieces but once I was hit capped this was a pretty easy fight. Destro seems like a must with it's aoe and ability to execute on the 3rd imp phase is huge!

There's a few macros that helped out to, the enslave demon macro (also the minor glyph for it), and the target me with fel flame was great I just had to stand behind anything I wanted fel flame to hit.

I have been trying to help people on my server with this boss so if anyone wants tips in game im on shadowsong, characters name is helic. There are a lot of subtle things that will make this fight ridiculously easier for you but you will still have to put your time into wiping on him for a bit.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    My power auras are for the pit lord ability cooldowns, not the CB or cataclysm, I see them just fine. And believe me I tried Demo for hours but the Imps just destroyed me. The aoe is nice in theory but it lacks the healing returns that Aff and Destro get. And no, the Pit Lord can't keep agro when you're wailing Immolation and Void Ray.
    I spoke with the guildie who did this as demo. He said 2 HoG's + Meta immo aura kill them extremely quickly, and you shouldn't have to target the imps past HoG and just nuke the boss until you can get back into caster form. Should only take a two or three pulses from Immo, and you can snap back to caster form and bank fury again until felpuppies. He put the pit lord at the portal and breathed on them before using HoG, and snapped a quick pit lord heal after to top himself off. He went with MF, and I see a lot of people using KJC, and that might help too. I don't like demo at all, so I don't play it, but it sounds like it should work. I got beat up a lot when I went as Aff, but that's because I was letting Corr finish them off instead of actively AoEing them down. They weren't that bad if I kept the pit lord breathing on them. I stood between the pit lord and the imps when I cast during the imps, which kept the debuffs off me too. If it helps at all.
    After being Medieve the Uberpally for many years, finally shelved in favor of Belledanna, the Uberlock!!! (patent pending)

-Unretired as of the launch of 6.0! Currently guild shopping. Need a good Warlock? I need a good home!

/target Wild Imp
    /petattack
    /cast Fel Flame Breath
    /targetlasttarget
    /petattack

/cast [@player] Fel Flame Breath

/target Pit Lord
    /cast Enslave Demon

Those 3 macros helped me a lot(arenajunkies site i think thanks to them). I wiped many times (red gear once and yellow one more time). I have 494ilvl and killed him duringr the third imp phase.I was @ 7% or so cant remember, and I just used Hof on Imps and spammed SB on him.

After a practice the fight is pretty straightforward and multiple strategies can work. Personally, I tanked every chaos bolt.I made sure to cast some CB before his own to build a big shield from Soul Leech, and used cds only if I wasnt on full health, otherwise just Sacrificial Pact and Twillight Ward would do the job.Only thing to notice is that you have to use Sacrificial Pact early at his cast or else you will have cooldown problems.Even tho, moving a bit back solved this in some attemps where i failed.

Taking CB was mostly because I had to use the gate to position my Pitlord at Felhunter phase.When he did the cataclysm before the felhunter phase, i would have the Pitlord move a bit away while moving with him,dispelling the new dots applied from Kanrethad, then position him far behind the pillar.So i had to use teleport+gate to go close to the summoning gate.I would always keep my Dark Soul for felpuppies.Pre Rain of Fire,conflagrate incinerate havoc on first,cb+sb the second,and cb conflag sb the third.Sometimes they would dispell my pitlord(during CB the third i was pressing the button for pet to follow me), but didnt have a problem re-enslave as charge was on Cd.

I would have the Pitlord tank the first Pitlord(simply press pet attack on him and one breath),banishing only on second imp phase(so i dont build aggro from aoe).For the second one i would make the same thing (Pitlord build aggro), the banish it.

For Imps, i didnt have any problems after the macro i said above.I would stand in the middle of the circle on the ground at first for the first 2-3 seconds, then RoF on them pressing the pet macro along with FnB+Incinerate macro.If i had health problems i would use a defensive like Unending Resolve or Shadow Bulkwark .I had the Emper Tap glyph, but i wouldnt recommend it, as in Imp phase you get get several Ember Taps to fully heal you. But imo dont just count on his breath to kill them, the cleave does a lot of work too.

Last, some seconds before the second imp phase, i would dismiss and re-enslave Pitlord just to be sure i wont loose him (its too tense to watch for it @ 2nd felhunters phase)

Dont forget to use flasks,pots, and food (if you have money or profs), they make quite a difference.

Other random things,remember to reapply CoE before expiring,always keep immolate up, and personally i was using RoF on him all the time (it is supposed to be ~400dps benefit using RoF on a single target if he gets hit for the whole duration), but mostly because it would generate more embers, and you need them for big CBs during stun or to heal yourself a bit(tho i would recommend to use most of them for dps and not survivability, pet's heal is enough for most of the cases)

I just use the normal pet attack command (ctrl+T I think -- it's just built into my muscle memory so I don't even look) to send the Pitlord toward the imps to breathe on them. My macro for his breath is to target me.
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

I am having a real bad time with felpups, I havoc, imm, incx2 and get the first two down, but then the third dispels my enslave demon and the pitlord, cb and last pup destroy me.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Medieve View Post
    If you talent Soul Leech, the breath damage is completely negated by the shield
    Yup, though even without it it's fine - I did it in nearly all of my attempts after figuring out the breath wasn't a single target ability - mixed up my attempt with soul leech and dark regen.

Quote Originally Posted by Banawani View Post
    I am having a real bad time with felpups, I havoc, imm, incx2 and get the first two down, but then the third dispels my enslave demon and the pitlord, cb and last pup destroy me.
    You're going to have to
    a) Experiment enough to find a place where your pit lord wont be dispelled, there's conflicting statements between range and LOS.
    b) Position your pit lord so far away that you can enslave it before he reaches you - this'll mean killing the last felpup between enslave breaking and him getting in range, AND require you to soak a chaos bolt most likely - save UR for it, you don't need it for any other CBs.
    c) Banish the last felhound so you can use your pit lord for a shield - the problem here is, iirc, cataclysm isn't long after the CB that comes after / during the felhound phase but you will NEED to take that felhound out sooner rather than later - might be worth waiting until after cata to deal with the hound, just make sure to send your pitlord far away again.

If you're not getting the felhunters down, it probably means you've not got enough dps to avoid a second one though, so a) is ideal, you really want to perfect your technique if you're going to have to do it twice for a kill, riding through the phase by the seat of your pants is fine if you have to do it once, twice is trying to roll the hard 6.

Quote Originally Posted by Nagassh View Post
    Yup, though even without it it's fine - I did it in nearly all of my attempts after figuring out the breath wasn't a single target ability - mixed up my attempt with soul leech and dark regen.

You're going to have to
    a) Experiment enough to find a place where your pit lord wont be dispelled, there's conflicting statements between range and LOS.
    b) Position your pit lord so far away that you can enslave it before he reaches you - this'll mean killing the last felpup between enslave breaking and him getting in range, AND require you to soak a chaos bolt most likely - save UR for it, you don't need it for any other CBs.
    c) Banish the last felhound so you can use your pit lord for a shield - the problem here is, iirc, cataclysm isn't long after the CB that comes after / during the felhound phase but you will NEED to take that felhound out sooner rather than later - might be worth waiting until after cata to deal with the hound, just make sure to send your pitlord far away again.

If you're not getting the felhunters down, it probably means you've not got enough dps to avoid a second one though, so a) is ideal, you really want to perfect your technique if you're going to have to do it twice for a kill, riding through the phase by the seat of your pants is fine if you have to do it once, twice is trying to roll the hard 6.
    I had problems with the felhound phase at first, I think it took me 30 to 40 wipes to get past that phase flawless. My ilvl is 484 but it really was only a issue from my side. Once I started using Dark Soul, CB on the first, Havoc on second, CB on first, immo+conflag on second, CB + CB on third I got past this phase nearly every time. Sending the pit lord to the right and myself running to the left of the portal and pre-casting RoF works wonders. I even got past the second Felhunter phase but then got screwed over by one of those bloody slowing/damaging circles while a CB was being cast..

I sure as hell have to use a purification potion to get rid of doom to get this right though, I keep way too many embers just to be safe for Felhunters and stuff..

21% best try so far, about 60 tries. Damn, really a fun fight!
    Draenor EU: Archavious - Level 120 Warlock ; Loaen - Level 120 Demon Hunter ; Arathia - Level 120 Paladin ; Mitosis - Level 110 Priest ; Toreck - Level 110 Hunter ; Aeralinde - Level 110 Mage ; Crikey - Level 110 Warrior

10+ Year Old Account
    I hadn't actually tried to kill many rares, mostly just kept an eye out and tried to reach close ones when they were called out, since my gear is too crappy to do the questline decently anyway, but I ran into a guy that offered me his tome for 15k cause he needed the gold. I decided I was rich enough to not bother hunting rares for that kind of offer

Now it's just down to letting the urge to start doing this build up a bit and then really sit down for it somewhere in the coming week and get some tries in. I've allready done the questline on the PTR, so I know what it's like. I just want to savour it now that I can do it on live though. Only get one shot at questlines like this, unless you level another lock

It's tuned for "average" players to be in full 502 lfr gear + shado pan assault rep gear ... so probably an average closer to 508 or so ?

I'm thinking, anyway. That much extra gear will buy a LOT of breathing room. I'm 498 equipped (with full afflic reforging / gemming) and rng on crits and ember generation make a world of difference on the felhunters, which are what are tripping me up.

If I could manage these tricks people are using to not get ol' boy (pitlord) dispelled, I could do this. I've tried a couple things and nothing works for me, so I guess I'm doing it wrong since multiple people are reporting it working. I actually almost have no clue how I've gotten past the pups a couple time.

It just makes me so frustrated with myself that the one time I got him to execute I died to the stupid freaking 2nd imp phase ... I probably lost my enslave due to time ... and I even have the unenslave macro ... either way not sure if he turned on me or if I forgot a dispel or something, but with the imps up for the endless embers I should have been able to do it ...

Man, sucks so bad I'm going on vacation and I don't have a laptop. Oh well. Maybe I'll get green fire for my birthday later in the month.
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.