Poll: Did you find this Guide Useful?

Page 49 of 119 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    Either is entirely possible, but I suppose I would just say the proof is in the pudding; I've proven myself in several different raids, so even if I'm not necessarily a super-awesome player, it's unlikely I would have see so much content when it was relevant if I had been a "bad" player.

I mean, clearly, I'm not playing to the level of others here, as I'm still nowhere near killing him. I've tried literally every strategy I could find, and have probably spent over 40 hours this past week working on him (had a lot of time off), so even if I'm not exceptionally talented, surely I should have seen a kill by now. All I can figure is the fight is simply overtuned, and/or putting ***FAR*** too much emphasis on managing that stupid, stupid Pit Lord! And the Felhunters... ugh.

I just believe this quest is a betrayal of what we were lead to believe a cool, fun quest that anyone could down with a little patience and commitment. Kudos tho those capable of downing him, but as someone who considers himself fairly skilled, extremely hard-headed, and a pretty decent Warlock, I think they've just really set the bar too high. Yes, it's technically possible to defeat him, but unless they allow AI-piloting, or somebody wants to come to my house and play this warlock for me, I've learned that, without a shadow of a doubt, I am literally incapable of defeating this boss.

Now, sure, I know there must be a huge sense of accomplishment from beating him, but that sense of accomplishment isn't suddenly going to make it seem okay. I can tell you for a fact, if the Charger or Dreadsteed quest-lines had been this difficult, nobody would have fond memories of them. For a quest with some smart design and clever mechanics, and genuinely interesting lore, it's just a shame that it need to lie behind a brick-wall that most players will just never overcome, until possibly the next expansion.
    Having done the dreadsteed quest many many moons ago when if first came out. It was NOWHERE NEAR this hard.

I too consider myself a good warlock, i have good dps i think. I know all my skills. But i just cant pass this guy to save my life.

The fun quest has literally started to be outshined by frustration. I dont find the fight fun anymore. For me, there is just to much going on.

Deleted
    . I can tell you for a fact, if the Charger or Dreadsteed quest-lines had been this difficult, nobody would have fond memories of them.
    Just to add something to this: For a while, I played a hunter as a twink in Vanilla and did the epic quest for the bow/staff with him.
    Beating the four quest demons was - in my opinion - just as difficult as beating this boss; plus, back then, there was this completely retarded mechanic that made him despawn whenever someone interfered or when you failed, making only one try per 8 hours or so possible.
    Still, people liked the quest and still do, because it felt really epic - not to mention the moment when you finally got your reward.

Also, when I first tried Kan on saturday, I also could never bring him past the first felhound phase.
    But after trying for about 2-3 hours, I got a grip of the mechanics and only wiped to the enrage anymore (~490 iLvl) - the possible and required learning curve for the fight is huge, but it is very doable.
    What made it hard for me is the fact that I didn't play with a pet since mop came out - so managing a pet again took some time to get used to it again.
    Last edited by mmocc02219cc8b; 2013-03-13 at 08:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiddi2biT View Post
    Probably the most difficult thing I've done in wow, but I did it after three nights of wiping. (As demo) So happy now. Excellent quest line and a brutal end encounter for the under-geared :-)

Anyone else get a buggy portal, it cost me about an hour or too of random wiping!
    I noticed that if your portal is on the grate in the middle of the room it bugs.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just did it with ilvl 379. Followed the long post on the second page of Icy Veins for tips on positioning of portals (worked like a charm)

Things that got me the kill:

Purification potion.

Interrupt the first two Dooms with charge. This will buy you an extra 1:30-2:00 minutes.

Interrupting the Dooms may cause a funny thing that makes him cast it on you twice in a row, the debuff then has 14 minutes, don't be fooled. It will still kill you in 7.

After the third set of Imps, be very careful how you manage your dismiss/enslave (plan if you want to cc one doom lord or not) and make sure it doesn't break at a critical point (5% wipe ouch)

Regarding the dismiss/re-enslave. Make sure you use the pit lord's heal and shield on you before you dismiss. I got to sub 20% once and dismissed just to have the pit lord heal the boss (wiped)

I had to master my threat on the imps in such way that the pit lord was tanking them and I was getting Embers from RoF and just spamming Chaos Bolt on the boss every imp phase. I got the kill with 20 seconds left on Doom so yeah, this made a huge contribution.

Watch your Pit lord's health. Glyph for Health funnel and use it every time soul shatter is up once you have 2 doom lords out. Having the pit lord die cost me a 3% wipe.

Never eat a Chaos Bolt (specially if the Imps are out) always LoS them ---> Remember to refresh your portal.

REBUFF after every felhound phase, them bastards purge you every time.

My kill wasn't perfect and I got it with just speccing destro for the first time yesterday when I started trying. I had many good attempts when I fucked something, like several times I forgot to use sac pet so I didn't have my self dispel, which you only really use in case of emergency, the pit lord should do 90% of your dispels.

Don't give up It can be done by a casual player with ::very:: bad gear and no destro XP since burning crusade.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    It was the adds that I had problems with as Affliction.
    SB:SOC + Harvest life and finish with drain soul. Harvest life prettymuch mitigated any damage they do.

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    But, I have to say, it is fun to watch people like you act like I'm some terrible player wanting free handouts.
    I'm not calling you a terrible player - you can be a great pve-er and terrible in pvp, you just seem bad at this encounter and show little signs of trying to improve, but what exactly is it that you want if not that? You're clamoring for a nerf that people in absolute crap gear, a full 20ilevels average below what will be available to most people in a few weeks / months from now, have been able to cope with.

The entire fight revolves around mechanics, there's nothing stopping you beating this encounter bar yourself - if you spent less time complaining about it on MMO champion and more time reading the ample help in this thread and antagonizing the very people that are trying to help other people beat it, you might get a kill.

Instead you're sat around calling people pretentious and accusing them of trying to cockblock people from green fire, when they're sat around passing out information to help people.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    All I can figure is the fight is simply overtuned, and/or putting ***FAR*** too much emphasis on managing that stupid, stupid Pit Lord! And the Felhunters... ugh.
    Where is it that you wipe mostly? I had nearly every wipe due to felhunters, for me the fight revolved around learning to deal with them.

The pitlord requires far less management than you'd think - there are macros for his breath, but they're pointless imo - you can dispel yourself AND the boss by casting it on the boss and running infront of his breath, which is a cone attack.

Imps you need to get in a group so your pitlord can breath on them, either via LOS or something else. If these are giving you more grief than you can handle, you could try the harvest life talent - I didn't have to, but soul leech isn't mandatory.

Felhunters you should save all of your burst for.
    Last edited by mmoc1571eb5575; 2013-03-13 at 08:19 AM.

So most ppl are able to do it from 475ilvl~495ilvl. I feel sorry for some guilds gearing their locks with hc gear, while they can't do this boss.Yes fight is difficult and frustrating, but when ppl with 480ilvl have to do this fight for 10~13mins, you simply dont deserve it. PvE accomplisments mean nothing in matters of proving you are above average player sadly.You can get carried by guilds PvE wise, but you don't deserve considering yourself a good player when you can't down Kanrethad on easy mode (yes everything above ~500ilvl is easy mode imo).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pitakos View Post
    So most ppl are able to do it from 475ilvl~495ilvl. I feel sorry for some guilds gearing their locks with hc gear, while they can't do this boss.Yes fight is difficult and frustrating, but when ppl with 480ilvl have to do this fight for 10~13mins, you simply dont deserve it. PvE accomplisments mean nothing in matters of proving you are above average player sadly.You can get carried by guilds PvE wise, but you don't deserve considering yourself a good player when you can't down Kanrethad on easy mode (yes everything above ~500ilvl is easy mode imo).
    He was tuned for 500 ilvl. I wouldn't call that easy mode. Easy mode would be 510+ gear, but the fact the fight is tuned for destro, which some people haven't played since Cata, is what makes it hard. I had a hard time adjusting to destro, and it was the main reason I couldn't kill him normally. If I had taken the time in mop to learn more about destro before this, then I might have done much much better.

I'm not calling you a terrible player - you can be a great pve-er and terrible in pvp, you just seem bad at this encounter and show little signs of trying to improve, but what exactly is it that you want if not that? You're clamoring for a nerf that people in absolute crap gear, a full 20ilevels average below what will be available to most people in a few weeks / months from now, have been able to cope with.

The entire fight revolves around mechanics, there's nothing stopping you beating this encounter bar yourself - if you spent less time complaining about it on MMO champion and more time reading the ample help in this thread and antagonizing the very people that are trying to help other people beat it, you might get a kill.

Instead you're sat around calling people pretentious and accusing them of trying to cockblock people from green fire, when they're sat around passing out information to help people.
    You continue to assume that I'm just dying on the first chaos bolt and then coming on and asking Blizzard to nerf it. Time and time again you pretend that is what I am doing. When you act like a pretentious ass, I'm going to call you a pretentious ass. "Little signs of trying to improve" as if you have any idea what you're actually talking about. I'm not antagonizing anybody. Perhaps you should get off your high horse and actually read what I have said. Once again you regulate me into the column of a terrible player asking them to completely make the fight a breeze. Where did I EVER ask that at? Could you point it out to me, please? The only thing I've ever even suggested is that they could lower his health slightly and possibly have only 2 Felhunters instead of 3.

You can't sit there in one hand and go "It's not about gear, its about strategy!" and then in the same token go "Yeah its going to be inconsequential with better gear." At least keep your bashing consistent.

I have zero faith you'll actually digest what I say at this point, and expect to come back and see you claim that I am wanting them to hand it to me for free on a platter. Actually, I'm not going to even bother. I'll take my plebeian Warlocking away from the grand elite masters because I am not worthy to speak with them. Done with this ridiculous elitist thread. Be content that us failures haven't beaten it yet. I'm sure it affects you in many ways.

Infracted for flaming
    Last edited by xskarma; 2013-03-13 at 02:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Haizer View Post
    He was tuned for 500 ilvl. I wouldn't call that easy mode. Easy mode would be 510+ gear, but the fact the fight is tuned for destro, which some people haven't played since Cata, is what makes it hard. I had a hard time adjusting to destro, and it was the main reason I couldn't kill him normally. If I had taken the time in mop to learn more about destro before this, then I might have done much much better.
    I don't mean ppl can faceroll it with 500ilvl. But when you are on execute range during 2nd imp wave, you can say it is easy mode considered to lower ilvls were ppl have to go on for 10+minutes. Its a challenging fight were you have to learn the mechanics, and a strategy more suited for you. Ppl on this thread made it with demo and affli spec, so its not like mandatory to go destro. I did so yeah (playing pvp and mainly rpg i use this spec), and i havent done a single try as demo or affli, so i dont know how different it could be. But its not like you had to stress yourself to achieve maximum dps if you are above 495ilvl, you just need to learn the mechanics. I understand the frustration of ppl unable to do it, but you have to deal with it, stop saying its impossible, as ppl worse geared than you did it already. They should first reconsider their opinion about themselves before spamming threads like OMFG NERF KANRETHAD ITS IMPOSSIBLE FU BLIZZ. If someone is above average player skill, he will make it sooner or later (10 or 100 tries doesnt matter).But if they cant do atleast this, they are way below average skill and they live in an illusion.

In the end, this fight uses all the aspects our class offers. Dps, pet spells and positioning management, banish, fear, enslave, los, aoe, everything is included or can be used in this. You should consider it as a test to your class awareness measurement and learn some things from it if you are smart enough understanding this is a game. Green fire will be given freely in the future (or have more chances doing at as the time pass due to better gear).
    Last edited by pitakos; 2013-03-13 at 09:17 AM.

Kanrethad is one of the most challenging bosses I have ever had the delight of beating. Not only does it not forgive you if you made a mistake (lower ilevels -490) but it was a straight forward fight with 3 phases that just kept repeating.

I beat this amazing challenge as Demonology. I figured out a tactic best suited for ME and did not follow a guide. I used the macros from Icy-veins to gain a better edge as I am not an experienced macro creator, and that helped me manage the Pit Lord.

I spent 3 hours learning the fight. I died to a couple of chaos bolts, and I died a lot at the Felhunter phase, but it was all due to my fault, and not the mechanics.

I just got better each time I tried it, until at the end, it was just a breeze. I reacted to everything automatically once I got a grasp of what needs to be done.

Please bring more challenging fights like this again, possibly in a solo scenario (with good rewards) in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Elmot View Post
    Kanrethad is one of the most challenging bosses I have ever had the delight of beating. Not only does it not forgive you if you made a mistake (lower ilevels -490) but it was a straight forward fight with 3 phases that just kept repeating.

I beat this amazing challenge as Demonology. I figured out a tactic best suited for ME and did not follow a guide. I used the macros from Icy-veins to gain a better edge as I am not an experienced macro creator, and that helped me manage the Pit Lord.

I spent 3 hours learning the fight. I died to a couple of chaos bolts, and I died a lot at the Felhunter phase, but it was all due to my fault, and not the mechanics.

I just got better each time I tried it, until at the end, it was just a breeze. I reacted to everything automatically once I got a grasp of what needs to be done.

Please bring more challenging fights like this again, possibly in a solo scenario (with good rewards) in the future.
    Agree with you sir. If they could implement good solo scenarios like this it would be great. I dont think this will happen soon though, and i am not exactly thrilled wasting flask,food,etc for something not rewarding (scenarios dont offer anything more than valor points and low gear).

So just beat that douche of a warlock for my BF and let me tell you, that shit was not fun haha. At 485 ilvl the hardest thing was killing the damn felhunters before they could destroy my face. Oh yeah and thank goodness for purification potions.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    You continue to assume that I'm just dying on the first chaos bolt and then coming on and asking Blizzard to nerf it. Time and time again you pretend that is what I am doing. When you act like a pretentious ass, I'm going to call you a pretentious ass. "Little signs of trying to improve" as if you have any idea what you're actually talking about. I'm not antagonizing anybody. Perhaps you should get off your high horse and actually read what I have said. Once again you regulate me into the column of a terrible player asking them to completely make the fight a breeze. Where did I EVER ask that at? Could you point it out to me, please? The only thing I've ever even suggested is that they could lower his health slightly and possibly have only 2 Felhunters instead of 3.

You can't sit there in one hand and go "It's not about gear, its about strategy!" and then in the same token go "Yeah its going to be inconsequential with better gear." At least keep your bashing consistent.

I have zero faith you'll actually digest what I say at this point, and expect to come back and see you claim that I am wanting them to hand it to me for free on a platter. Actually, I'm not going to even bother. I'll take my plebeian Warlocking away from the grand elite masters because I am not worthy to speak with them. Done with this ridiculous elitist thread. Be content that us failures haven't beaten it yet. I'm sure it affects you in many ways.
    If you spend half as much effort trying to get the fight down as you have trying to convince us of the point, your fire would be green by now.
    Just saying.

10+ Year Old Account
    After many, many, many, MANY irritating attempts at killing him, I managed to kill him about an hour ago.
    It basically went on as many people did it, moving the pit lord behind a pillar and kiting felhunters across the map to prevent the dispell. Use the pit lords breath and personal aoe to kill imps quickly. However the only thing I should mention, is that you should always pre-cast a chaos bolt before using the charge, that way the one you are casting will hit for 100% more and even 1-2 more after that. In addition, during my kill, I got him to 20% at the second imps spawn, so basically what I did was RoF'd the living shit out of them with Sacrificial Pact up, and used the pit lord heal/healthstone in an emergency, and with that RoF down, I spamming the living shit out of Shadowburn on the boss, and when he started his cataclysm cast at that point, charged him, spammed shadowburn again, got him.

Honestly, the best tip for this fight is to take a break every few attempts..

A few nights ago I've probably been 5 hours non-stop on him. At first I was improving but after a while I was doing attempts so rapidly (die, soulstone/ress, cast imp while running to the spot my teleport should be, start summoning boss, cast gate, sac imp, eat food and a second after I got the food buff the fight started) and I was doing them so rapidly that I started sending my pitlord away on the imp phase.. Thinking felhunters were coming.

Eventually I ended up wiping on felhunters all the time again, just because of losing focus and getting pissed off. I took a break and was doing much and much better after.

484 ilvl, not down yet (best attempt at 21%) but it certainly is do-able. You've got to approach it as a tough raiding boss, when you wipe think of what you've done wrong and what to do to prevent it next time. Much like discussing tactics, but with yourself alone. If people in 470 gear beat it, why can't you?

Please don't nerf this boss, most fun boss experience I've had in a looong while. Really shows how good you are at your class!

---------- Post added 2013-03-13 at 10:49 AM ----------

Either is entirely possible, but I suppose I would just say the proof is in the pudding; I've proven myself in several different raids, so even if I'm not necessarily a super-awesome player, it's unlikely I would have see so much content when it was relevant if I had been a "bad" player.

I mean, clearly, I'm not playing to the level of others here, as I'm still nowhere near killing him. I've tried literally every strategy I could find, and have probably spent over 40 hours this past week working on him (had a lot of time off), so even if I'm not exceptionally talented, surely I should have seen a kill by now. All I can figure is the fight is simply overtuned, and/or putting ***FAR*** too much emphasis on managing that stupid, stupid Pit Lord! And the Felhunters... ugh.

I just believe this quest is a betrayal of what we were lead to believe a cool, fun quest that anyone could down with a little patience and commitment. Kudos tho those capable of downing him, but as someone who considers himself fairly skilled, extremely hard-headed, and a pretty decent Warlock, I think they've just really set the bar too high. Yes, it's technically possible to defeat him, but unless they allow AI-piloting, or somebody wants to come to my house and play this warlock for me, I've learned that, without a shadow of a doubt, I am literally incapable of defeating this boss.

Now, sure, I know there must be a huge sense of accomplishment from beating him, but that sense of accomplishment isn't suddenly going to make it seem okay. I can tell you for a fact, if the Charger or Dreadsteed quest-lines had been this difficult, nobody would have fond memories of them. For a quest with some smart design and clever mechanics, and genuinely interesting lore, it's just a shame that it need to lie behind a brick-wall that most players will just never overcome, until possibly the next expansion.
    I've done the Dreadsteed quest line back in the days and it's true it wasn't this hard.

But to be honest, if you can't kill him then you are obviously not doing the fight as it should be. Managing the pitlord isn't rocket science, especially because of all the tips given here. How is the bar set too high if an ilvl 470 warlock can beat it, why can't you?

I was at a point where I thought gear was going to hold me back on this one, I have ilvl 484 but then I saw a vid of a 474 lock doing it without much trouble. I read up on the fight and watch a few videos and got him to 20% so far, that one time I died cause of a chaos bolt which completely was a huge fail from my side.

If you've proven yourself in several different raids then you can do this too. Atleast you don't rely on 9 or 24 others to do their job well, this fight is completely in your hands and thats why I feel it's so god damn epic. Not a healer that fails, a tank that can't swap or someone who has to interrupt who fails to do so.

Now, sure, I know there must be a huge sense of accomplishment from beating him, but that sense of accomplishment isn't suddenly going to make it seem okay.
    Reminds me of Vaelastrasz in BWL (at lvl 60). I was in an ok guild and wiped about 6 weeks non-stop on him for 3 nights a week. Yeah, frustrating as hell. But really, to this day this is in my top 3 of most awesome boss kills I've done. It's even beyond the four horsemen which took is 4 weeks and way past ragnaros/nefarian for me. You WILL have the huge sense of accomplishment and I am sure you make it feel okay then, because you just figured out it's a fight you can beat.

This post may feel hostile towards you, but it really is not meant that way. More a motivation pep-talk or whatever it's called.
    Draenor EU: Archavious - Level 120 Warlock ; Loaen - Level 120 Demon Hunter ; Arathia - Level 120 Paladin ; Mitosis - Level 110 Priest ; Toreck - Level 110 Hunter ; Aeralinde - Level 110 Mage ; Crikey - Level 110 Warrior

This boss is real pain, but it's the most fun I've had in WoW for a while!
    I'm doing it on my alt lock so I have like 479 ilvl or something so it feels like I have to nail the mechanics of the fight, the fel puppies is the thing I have problems with atm but I'll get them down soon enough when I get in some more tries. And it looks like Blizzard wont nerf this encounter for a while (hope they never will tbh)
    Would even be nice if they could do scaling on gear instead, so this scenario never get outgeared.

Kind of feels like when I was undergeared and bashed my head against Diablo in D3 for 3 days straight, the relief when Diablo died was so awesome...
    I guess the feeling will be the same when Kanrethad bites the dust

i wish they had more quests/bosses as hard as kenrethad for all classes, biggest challenge ive had in wow in a long time and i sure cant wait to do more like it.

I got the book yesterday, yay

now I just gotta wait for a couple of years while I get enough gear to beat it, since I'm far too unskilled to get kanrethad down.
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

I have killed him after two days of wiping but for me it is the best thing in the game right now

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorehowl View Post
    i wish they had more quests/bosses as hard as kenrethad for all classes, biggest challenge ive had in wow in a long time and i sure cant wait to do more like it.
    Say what you like about the Kanrethad encounter, but the quest is a disgusting, incoherrant, disjointed shambles that makes absolutely no sense. That they masked it with a highly tuned encounter that elitist fanboys would jerk over and call anyone who criticised it 'bad' is a masterclass in deflection.