Poll: Did you find this Guide Useful?

mfw 50+ kills and no drop.

I guess I could buy it, but 50k for a poorly done green fire color doesn't seem worth it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nivis View Post
    I kept one Doom Lord banished and the other one feared.
    Is an option, but it breaks on damage which can be a pain when you're AoEing Imps should it decide to wander that way, and it does.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    Is an option, but it breaks on damage which can be a pain when you're AoEing Imps should it decide to wander that way, and it does.
    Just get the glyph then?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Niberion View Post
    Just get the glyph then?
    Because it's easier to let the Pit Lord wail on it for 10s and ignore it completely from then on? I dunno, just a suggestion as it's something I found worked: Your way is not the only way.

Keeping the Doom Lords in CC is needless complexity at its best. Seriously I killed him on the 5th Imp wave with crap gear and just had them both tanked by the Pit Lord no problem he was at 30-40% hp when the encounter ended no healing required. I seriously think some of you guys would benefit from just doing the mechanics in the simplest and easiest way and then worrying about damage when that's over with.

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    Honestly, we could bicker for weeks about what does or does not qualify as a "skilled player", but the fact is that many decently-geared, competent Warlocks are spending tens of hours wiping on a single boss. I don't think it would hurt anything to re-balance the entire chain, making the quests prior more difficult, while also making Kanrethad himself slightly more forgiving.

And honestly, when you consider that so many Warlocks *LOVE* using Grimoire of Sacrifice, making an entire fight hinge on micro-management of your pet, is just complete and utter garbage. Let me sacrifice that Pit Lord sonofabitch for my own Charge, and grant some additional health and health-regen to offset the loss of utility slightly (or perhaps make immune to Kan's curses, and just put more emphasis on kiting enemies?). I hate dealing with pets, and that stupid, STUPID Pit Lord seems to just have a mind of his own, even with macro's, unless I just completely stop everything and spam the same command over and over again until he finally obeys.

The fact is, "skill" is not a number, but rather certain players are skills in certain styles of play. After 40+ hours of baging my head against this fight, I've learned that I am incapable of besting this guy. Why I certainly lack certain skills in regards to this particular encounter, it should either be easy enough to be able to push through, or present some alternate means of overcoming him. You wouldn't force a Paladin to prove himself as the Be-All, End-All healer to end all healers without a single flaw in order to obtain a Hammer of the Silver Hand, so why such a stringent requirement for Fel Flames, when so many players enjoy playing Warlocks now *because* they don't require the usage of Pets?
    i know it doesn't take skill and experience to beat this quest. Know how I know? i leveled my warlock from lvl 1 during 5.1 cuz bored, and i finished it this morning at 485 ilvl. I don't have years of experience at the class, and i have green fire.
    Last edited by Fincayra; 2013-03-14 at 05:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Starfighter View Post
    I think it's fucking stupid that they are putting these things on rare mobs only to increase the drop rate in later patches for "unlucky players". What the hell does that accomplish? Just give it to every lock in the first place.
    Well, players love getting things others are excluded from, so that's a big part of the appeal.

---------- Post added 2013-03-14 at 05:24 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Agile Emily View Post
    Only warlocks can loot it. Otherwise any other class could take it and hold us to ransom.
    You do not understand how probability works.

Quote Originally Posted by Fincayra View Post
    i know it doesn't take skill and experience to beat this quest. Know how I know? i leveled my warlock from lvl 1 during 5.1 cuz bored, and i finished it this morning at 485 ilvl. I don't have years of experience at the class, and i have green fire.
    I on the other hand have years of experience at the class, yet I can't beat kanrethad. it's all about speed, coordination and wits. unfortunately I have none of that
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

Deleted
    Your way is not the only way.
    At least I never did, I just said how I did manage them.
    I tried both, but was relatively comfortable with having them both locked down with CC - your approach sure is less...laborious.

Warlock quest: can I continue later?

Hey guys,

I found the tome and I thought I'd do it quickly. Obviously quickly and kanrethad don't go together in the same sentence and I really need repairs, not to mention raid starts in 10.

The question is can I continue this quest later, or will I have to farm rares again, and if I can continue, how do I do so and will I have to do the entire dungeon thing again or will I start where I left off?

Thanks!

Deleted
    You'll go back to the final boss when you go back to the Black Temple gates =)

Since everyone else is sharing stories;
    http://livestre.am/4nGpb
    487 ilvl with about 40 seconds left

Took the advice I saw above, didn't burn down the imps and instead just let immolation/RoF kill them over time, used the infinite embers to spam chaos bolt while I could and ember tap if I really needed to. Also found that I did MUCH worse trying to get my pit lord to safety, so I took the advice I saw somewhere else (this thread too maybe, or Icyveins) and blew cooldowns the second the first felhunter spawned - used pit lord charge on him and killed him with fireblasts/used havoc chaos bolts to burn the other two down - half the time I kill them before they even use devour magic. This makes the fight substantially easier, as the biggest reason I ever died was juggling chaos bolt + doomguard + pit lord re-enslave + finishing off felhunters + DoTs all at once. Burning down the felhunters in a few seconds removed the danger of the enslave, removed the chaos bolt since he wasn't ready to cast it yet, and allowed me breathing room to use pit lord flame breath on myself to cleanse and "reset" the fight.

I also used the pit lord to tank the first doomguard. I banished it during the second wave of fel hunters, but after that, the pit lord went back to tanking it. I banished the second doom guard.

I ended up buying the potions of purification because I figured I could just take it "slow and steady" that way, but I never ended up using one of them. I found out that surviving is a lot harder than the enrage timer - if you're using charge and breath consistently and don't screw around the DPS timer isn't really that bad. I had a solid 45 or something seconds left and I don't think I was even performing that well (I never play destro...)

Also, it seems Blizzard fixed the "bug" where he kills you even after he's dead - he cleared all my debuffs and healed me to full when he was still around 400k health. I honestly think the way I did it, described above, is the easiest way. I was about to give up, felt like I would never get it down because I always made some stupid mistake, but the kill ended up feeling pretty easy. 99% of the fight is controlling the felhunters.

Given the amount of time I still had left on the timer, I would say this is doable all the way down to 476 or so, which is MSV LFR level, so if you can't get at least that you should probably spend a little bit more time working on your items. If you are absurdly good at warlock this is probably doable down to 470.
    Last edited by Lysah; 2013-03-14 at 06:32 PM.

After 5 hours of wipes (4 hours yesterday and 1 hour today), I killed the boss today after watching this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln1Ju7ee9Xs
    Thanks to the player who created this video. After watching I killed the boss after only 2 wipes. The positioning of the portal was crucial to improve my performance, and watch the guy killing the boss with pvp gear gave me new courage to kill with pve gear.
    Is there no achievement for killing the boss or complete the chain?

edited: I thought would win the Akama's Seal of Courage as reward, it was canceled?
    Last edited by Biruta; 2013-03-14 at 10:32 PM.
    Ghostcrawler is gone, time to celebrate!

Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    Since everyone else is sharing stories;
    http://livestre.am/4nGpb
    487 ilvl with about 40 seconds left
    Thanks, helped a bunch.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nivis View Post
    At least I never did, I just said how I did manage them.
    I tried both, but was relatively comfortable with having them both locked down with CC - your approach sure is less...laborious.
    Had a good night of attempts at last, and found just having the Pit Lord tank both worked fine, made them a completely ignorable mechanic so I could focus on the Felhunters and dispelling.

As Biruta says, the Gateway position is pretty critical, I got him down about 3 attempts after moving my Gateway more central; I had had it on the right side but found kiting the Felhunters would cause them to turn and dispel the Enslave - now I'm pretty sure they have a 270 degree vision arc because it was getting annoying over just how easily they'd break it as they shuffled for position, especially after one died, but even if they don't, just treat them as if they do. As it was further away from the Imps and where I needed to be to park my Pit Lord, I used my Teleport to get closer to it, then the Attunement Glyph (which kept failing anyway).

So yeah, now to do it Horde side in much worse gear

Quote Originally Posted by Fincayra View Post
    But what spec are you? I've been playing demo for the last two years and i have yet to hear anyone finish the quest as demo. I shouldn't have to switch specs to beat a quest when no one else has had to switch their spec. That's just stupid and pisses me off. If you can't do the quest as all 3 specs, the quest is imbalanced and unfairly so. Demo doesn't have the healing ability to survive the encounter. Maybe I'm wrong, but all i see is affliction or destro cuz they self heal fairly well.

Deleted
    So yeah, now to do it Horde side in much worse gear
    Trust me , once you get it done it's just you feel comfortable with the tactic you gonna follow and your confidence goes up.

I assume you gotta farm the tome

Quote Originally Posted by Discobiscuit View Post
    But what spec are you? I've been playing demo for the last two years and i have yet to hear anyone finish the quest as demo. I shouldn't have to switch specs to beat a quest when no one else has had to switch their spec. That's just stupid and pisses me off. If you can't do the quest as all 3 specs, the quest is imbalanced and unfairly so. Demo doesn't have the healing ability to survive the encounter. Maybe I'm wrong, but all i see is affliction or destro cuz they self heal fairly well.
    Did with all 3 specs in PTR Destro was/is the strongest out of all 3 for that specific fight.
    Demos self healing is Harvest life which is also the Fury gatherer in this fight, plus demo has more survivability tools then the rest of specs.
    Last edited by mmoce51f3e626c; 2013-03-15 at 12:38 AM.

can we kill kanrethrad again? would love to go bak and murder him again

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Lock View Post
    Did with all 3 specs in PTR Destro was/is the strongest out of all 3 for that specific fight.
    Not doubting you, but how does the PTR compare with the current difficulty? And what was your i-level? I'm guessing on the ptr you could max out your gear for the encounter. Do you think it should still be possible as demo given a 487 i-level? I just want to hear or see a video from a someone who has done it recently as demo, and not in uber gear, so i can take notes.