Poll: Did you find this Guide Useful?

Page 72 of 119 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Gratz all you hard workers.

I wish we had some kind of statistics regarding how many locks have it vs. how many are working on it vs. how many don't care.

Should get a title.

Grizelda the Fel...or something

Deleted

PVP/LOW geared guide to Green fire!

Guide to Green Fire!
    I would like to start with: Sorry for my english, im from Sweden.

Now I manage to get this fight done on Monday, I looted the book on Friday. It Took me 3 days of wiping (100+ wipes) and 20+ guide videos. I did this fight in all Blue honor gear except rings epic + weapon 1 / 2 upgrade. 468ILvl!

This shows that the fight can be done with bad gear. This is a warlock in 384 ilvl that down the boss.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1i4BnY8PeQ

The fight aint as much about dps and gear lvl as it is about machanics and execution.
    This is what people need to understand, don’t focus on doing dmg to the boss focus on manage the pit lord and control the fight. The dmg will come anyway during the small windows or AoE and Pet dmg.

Macros:
    Disband/Enslave Demon
    Pit Lord Heal
    Pit Lord Charge
    pit Lord Target=Kanrethad Charge (if you lose target ei: Fel Hound phase)
    Pit Lord Breath
    Survival (all surv cd’s in 1 button helps for ninja chaos bolts)

Talents:
    Soul Leech / Shadowfury / Sacrificial Pact / Unbound Will / GrimOfSac / Kil’Jadens Cunning

Glyphs:
    - Major: Siphon Life / Conflagrate
    These are the only ones you need but I also used Glyph of Dark Soul for consistent dmg rather then burst.
    - Minor: Gateway Attunement / Enslave Demon
    These are the only ones you need but I also used Glyph of Health Funnel for quick heals.

IMPORTANT: Use your Gateway ALL THE TIME! It resets aggro.

Now Lets get into the fight!

1. Start of the fight!

This is where you can go all out and dps and build embers as much as you can! Go all out with cd’s + Infernal. Some people say wait for fel hounds but id say here is the time to blow it all.

2. Kanrethad Summons a Pit Lord!

You will need to enslave the Pit lord at this time. If you don’t have or use Glyph of Enslave Demon (I highly recommend it) you can stun him with shadowfury and then enslave him.
    Its not much going on during this phase and you are free to dps Kanrethad and dispel the debuffs Kanrethad casts on you with the Pit Lords breath. In this phase you can use charge all the time cause the Pit Lord will auto interrupt Cataclysm during this phase (I don’t know if this is a bugg).
    (Use the Portals all the time to keep agro on the Pit Lord)

3. Kanrethad Summons 60 Imps.

There is one very important thing that I have noticed here. When he starts to summon the Imps place yourself 10-15yrds behind Kanrethad. And start casting Rain of Fire just in front of him. The imps will run into it. When he is just about to finish casting “summon imps” time Pit Lord charge with Fire and Brimstone “Immolate” on Kanrethad and follow up with a Pit Lord Breath to remove debuffs, this will stun him and everything in front of him, and you will spread immolate to 60 imps (this will result in a MASSIVE over time heal if you use the silphon life glyph). Use 1 more Rain of Fire then Portal + Pit Lord heal to give him aggro. You can now spam FnB Incinerate or Rain of Fire.

4. Cataclysm during IMP phase (MOST IMPORTANT STAGE OF THE MATCH).

Kanrethad will now run to mid and start casting Cataclysm, stun him with Pit Lord charge and spam Immolate + Incinerate (DO NOT USE CHAOS BOLT or PIT LORD BREATH NOW, you WILL need chaos bolt for Felhunters and Breath for dots).
    After the stun ends Kanrethad casts his 2 dots on you and then a soul fire, when he starts to cast soul fire Breath him to remove dots. If you don’t do this use “Unbound Will” followed by movepet ability to one side of the room while you move to the other at the same time use Pit Lord Heal, (the HEAL is very very very important) you need to use it BEFORE he starts to channel “Summon Felhunters”.
    Now when Kanrethad starts to channel “Summon Felhunters” start casting Rain of Fire on the portal and don’t stop until you have agro from all 3 of them.
    Mix in Soul shatter on Kanrethad to lose his agro (you don’t wanna have to think about his dmg and a possible chaos bolt during Felhunters.

5. Killing the Felhunters

The Felhunters will ONLY devour your Enslave Demon on the Pit Lord if they are facing him. They cast Devour in a very large frontal cone. You NEED to agro them fast. This is why you cant use Pit Lord heal when ANY of them have spawned
    Havoc the First and spam chaos bolt (shadowburn during less then 20% health) to kill them of fast.
    When you have aggro from all Felhunters put your Pit Lord back on Kanrethad so that ha can interrupt Cataclysm if you are not fast enough with the Felhunters (I was not). Now after this Cataclysm you can go all out and cast whatever chaos bolts you have left. After the stun ends Kanrethad casts his 2 dots on you and then a soul fire, when he starts to cast soul fire Breath him to remove dots.

6. Kanrethad summons a Doom Guard

When Kanrethad start to cast “Summon Doom Guard” dismiss your Pit Lord and quickly Enslave him to get a new full duration and put him back on Kanrethad. (At this time you will have full aggro from Kanrethad and the Doom Guard, use Portals to reset aggro. When he have finished casting Summon Doom Guard charge + Breath and Pit Lord heal to give him aggro from both Kanrethad and the Doom guard. Now go full out with all your cooldowns that are back up and nuke him (save chaos bolt for charge stun during Cataclysm).

NOW EVERYTHING WILL START OVER FOR A SECOND TIME!
    Do the exact same thing over again.

7. During the second summon Doom Guard your 7min Debuff will start to close in on you while Kanrethad’s HP will be around 45-65%. Now you will have to clear all debuffs you have on you with Breath/Unbound Will/SacIMP sing magic then use the Purification potion to clear this. He will again cast the 7 minutes debuff on you but you have bought yourself 7 more minutes.

8. Kanrethad Stops summoning Felhunters and Doom Guards!

From now on Kanrethad will not summon any more Felhunters or Doom Guards only Imps.
    Now you won’t have to be worried about Felhunters anymore but Kanrethad will start summon Imps more frequently after every “Summon” so now you will have to dps Kanrethad very HARD to avoid having any imps left during Cataclysm where you will want to use as many Chaos Bolts / Shadow Burns as possible in combination with Pit Lord charge. Using AoE during the Summon Imp phase so that you also dmg the imps, keep yourself dot free / avoid Aggro from Doom Guards (AoE dmg will aggro them). To avoid aggro you will need to manage your Pit Lord even more to make him not only attack Kanrethad but to attack and Breath on the Doom Guards too (keep using your portals for aggro reset). From now on focus on AoE dmg on Kanrethad during imp phase so that you still do dmg to the boss but also hit imps. Do this by spamming Rain of Fire / FnB Immolate / FnB incinerate.

9. Pit Lord DIES!

Now when we have come this far its time to check your Pit Lords HP!
    (I died on one of my tries because my Pit Lord got killed)
    Health Funnel on Pit Lord will drain some health from you but give your Pit Lord Millions, cause Health Funnel Drain/Heal per %.

All I can say is that this is a very hard fight and some people including myself sees this fight as the hardest fight ever created in this game’s history (C’thun unkillable due to gear not counted for).

I hope I have given some good advice for people stuggling with this boss and I can guaranty that when you actually get the boss down, the feeling is unbeatable. Nothing have ever made me so proud of myself in a video game.

All in all its not impossible, its not a gear/dps check (unless you do it without the Purification Potion).

This truly is an EPIC fight.
    You Will Have The Right To Brag About It!

Deleted
    @hirazu:
    Nice guide, looks really informative while beeing rather short.
    i did not know that he stops spawning felhunters etc. after the 2. doomguard.
    Well i had to read the "he will summond the 2. doomguard and boss should be at about 45-65%"-part several times... did you enter the scenario with only rare pvp gear?
    i thought the 3. imp weave should be used to RoF 100% uptime + Shadowburn filler, but ok CB filler will work too^^

I have a question here, i got my green fire in the first week of 5.2 launch (lucky me getting the tome after about 40 rares, and ilvl496)
    and everytime i wiped at the last stage i entered BT and could continue from the last stage.
    A guild mate told me a few days ago, that he has to start at stage 1 everytime he dies.

Is this a bug, has there been a bug or did something got fixed in the past weeks?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eierdotter View Post
    Is this a bug, has there been a bug or did something got fixed in the past weeks?
    I've been able to jump right up to the last boss everytime i went there to try again.

Deleted
    OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG, just did it with 480 ilvl took me like 3 days or so. Cant describe the feeling, i was shaking all over when he was at 15% hp, THANKS!

Quote Originally Posted by el11t View Post
    OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG, just did it with 480 ilvl took me like 3 days or so. Cant describe the feeling, i was shaking all over when he was at 15% hp, THANKS!
    No need to describe it to me; I had the same experience. I had to concentrate hard to not misclick something because my hands were shaking so hard. XD Grats!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by el11t View Post
    Dat Feeling !!!

15+ Year Old Account
    I updated Kanrethad Ebonlocke's wowpedia page with all of his abilities and some (fairly basic) strategy details, if anyone wants to know more about how his individual abilities work.

http://www.wowpedia.org/Kanrethad_Eb..._%28tactics%29

Got is as well last night and its true that I hadn't been so excited (in both the good and bad ways) for years in WoW.

Perhaps since getting my Felsteed class quest back in the day, or downing Mimiron

I pretty much stuck to the guide which was very helpful though I had a lot, A LOT of wipes after the 2nd felhunter phase until I read some of the comments which really helped me. I took a two day break and then got him on my 2nd pull.

So what I would like to stress out to other fellow locks having a hard time is the following:

1. The talents recommended in the guide are a must!

2. The glyphs as well PARTICULARLY: Gateway Attunement, Enslave and Dark Soul!

3. Macros I slightly modified. I split the charge and fel-flame macro (from the guide in this thread) into two separate macros. More keybinds but works MUCH better in two separate macros.

Code:
    #showtooltip
    /tar Kanrethad Ebonlocke
    /cast Charge
    Code:
    #showtooltip
    /cast [@player] Fel Flame Breath
    4. ABUSE the gateway. Go through it almost on cool-down (hold on a couple of seconds if a phase change is approaching). If you do this properly you will get much much less incoming damage and NO chaosbolt casts on you.

5. Dismiss and re-enslave your Pit-Lord during BOTH Doomguard summonings.

6. Banish the first Doomguard and keep him banished and have the pit-lord tank the 2nd (he can take the beating with no problem).

7. After the 2nd Doomguard (when you only have imp phases) CHANGE how you deal with imps to the the following: Use gateway to reset aggro and have the pit-lord tank them. Place RoFs on the Imps and spend ALL EMBERS on Kanrethad. The imps will slowly die off from the RoFs. The pit-lord can take the beating with no-problem. Ideally you should be close to shadow-burn range at this stage so this gives you infinite embers for shadowburns and the last 6-8 mil of damage go down really fast this way.

8. Keep your eye on the doom timer for the potion. Unless you have uber gear you are going to need a purification potion. Don't waste your time without one. (on my kill I noticed the timer with 8 seconds left, so that was close).

9. Once you get familiar with the timing of his Cataclysm try to squeeze in more charges (from the pit-lord) and double chaos-bolt him during the stuns. At 497 iLvL each extra charge resulted in ~1M damage. Do this only if you are CERTAIN you will have charge available to interrupt cataclysm. This point is a bonus and not a must.

10. Place your Demonic Circle in the alcove where you send your pit-lord in Felhunter phase (see video for explanation). This can be used when you need to avoid Chaos Bolt and don't have any cooldowns. You shouldn't need it, its just there for safety purposes.

It's all about practice and mechanics as other people have stated. DPS is rather secondary. I did it as destruction, as recommended so I can't comment on which other spec would be viable. One good thing that came out of this is that I have now perfected my Destruction rotation (I hadn't spec destro before 5.2 in my 6 years of being a Lock ).
    Last edited by Lionor; 2013-04-03 at 09:05 AM.

Useful stuff I don't see posted often or at all that let me do it much easier (affliction PoV):
    - use your keyboard/mouse macro to repeatedly spam singe magic (I set the interval to 3 secs). Takes one more thing off your mind during already hectic fight and interferes only with malefic grasps, that you already have very little time to channel. Shady? Yes. Likely to get you in trouble? Not really...

- practice charging as much as possible - for ex. right after the enslave hold it off till he starts casting the doom, interrupt it, when he starts again jump through the gate, it often but not always causes the 2nd cast to fail, then charge again. This way you can postpone the doom cast until after the imp summons.

- for me, the gateway tactic of avoiding chaos bolt casts didn't work after the imp phases, could be because of I kept close to 100% dot uptime on him at all times... I was LoSing these two CBs together with any remaining imps using the pillar on the left.

Overall - seems way harder from affliction's point of view, but sure feels great not having to go down the easy route
    Last edited by Anthraxx; 2013-04-03 at 01:47 PM.

Deleted
    Best solo encounter ever ... had much fun with it. Guess as destru it would have been easier, but did it as affli ...
    thx blizz

That was nightmare in my wow life, this fight turn into an obsession to me. But its a good elite fight.

Killed him after about 150-200 wipes with 501 ilvl, tried for one week everyday, but its really hard to handle everything. Spent nearly 10k to repairs, flasks, food, potions. Tried every tactic, spec, talent, glyph even with stamina flask but I found one good solution. Now I know what to do in any condition in this fight step by step.

My spec, consumables, talents and glyphes was like this.

Spec: destruction

Consumables:
    Flask of the Warm Sun -> 1000 Intellect buff
    Potion of the Jade Serpent -> Temporarily 4000 Intellect buff
    Intellect Food (pref Mogu Fish Stew) -> 300 Intellect buff

Talents:
    Soul Leech -> prevents getting more damage
    Mortal Coil -> cant root boss but heals you for %15
    Dark Bargain -> use it on critical situations especially save it on second felhunter phase if they dispell enslave
    Unbound Will -> I didnt use it on fight but it helps you to clean all dots on you but consumes your health
    Grimoire of Sacrifice -> you have to enslave pit lord so you will lose your own minion, its usefull for dps buff
    Kil'jaeden's Cunning -> you can keep dps while moving

Glyphes:
    Ember tap -> 1 extra ember slot
    Fear -> helps you to look after second lord in your sight
    Siphon life -> healing
    Enslave demon -> decreases enslave time, its really usefull for this fight
    Crimson banish -> to see banished lord easily.
    Verdant spheres -> for good looking warlock

Sac Demon
    Void Walker -> used imp many times but stamina buff is more important I think. Just in case to soak inevitable chaos bolt.

Demonic gateway is really important in this fight. So place gateways in the center of the area in circle near kanrethad's summon healthstone.

1 - Pre pot and starting rotation is like this. Curse of Elements, Havoc, immolate, conflagrate, chaos bolt then conflagrate again and incinirate.

2 - Enslave pit lord quickly and let him attack boss. Get dispelled by pit lords breath every time. And use demonic gateway as much as possible, it keeps you out of aggro so pit lord tanks many times. If you can use gateway mostly, boss cant use skill chaos bolt on you. Set focus pit lord so u can see enslave timer and his target in case you lose target after using gateway. Also gateway provides you extra time before getting dotted by 7min doom.

3 - Imps: Bring imps near boss and aoe dps boss everytime, main target must be boss. Interrupt Cataclysm with pit lord. Use interrup skill only on cataclysm. You can avoid chaos bolt with demonic gateway debuff. Save at least 3 embers before felhunter phase.

4 - Felhunters: Rain of fire on boss gateway. That helps keeping aggro on you not on pit lord. Pop dark soul and use potion, you dont have to make pit lord stay away from boss. He can continue dps on boss. Kill quickly felhunters. If they dispell enslave, dont bother pit lord coming to you, just continue killing felhunters. After that enslave pit lord if dispelled. Then use gateway quickly to avoid chaos bolt. Do not forget get dispelled before phase.

5 - Doom lords: Always keep banishing first doom lord. get dispelled and dps boss, use gateway and interrupt cataclysm. If pit lord didnt get dispelled by felhunters, dismiss him and enslave him to reset timer. Its a good time to do this.

6 - Second Imp phase is similar to first one, just aoe dps them with main target boss. Save embers.

7 - Second felhunter phase is similar to first one but without lack of potion its kinda hard but killable with dark soul only. Kill them immediately, they usually manage to dispell enslave but dont worry just dps them, you dont have to kite them to the stairs, you can stand near gateway. After killing and enslaving use gateway. Get dispelled and healed. continue dps.

8 - Second doom lord must be feared always. Watch for them and fear again after timeout.

9 - Third Imp phase must be quick kill. Just bring them near boss and aoe dps them with main target boss. Then use gateway to avoid chaos bolt. At this phase bosses health is under %20 so you can use shadowburn as much as possible, just nuke dps on boss and thats all.

Important notes:
    Always get dispelled from seed of terrible destruction before it expires, if it expires on you, it turns into annoying imp and it cant be dispelled for 30sec. Its really annoying, stunning you for 1 sec sometimes and interrupting your cast.

Use gateway as much as possible to keep aggro on pit lord and to avoid chaos bolt. You can also use demonic circle near gateway to teleport you immediately to the gateway.

First of all just focus fight and you will get green fire

Good luck

ty for the guide
    was very useful for me, that quest rocks so hard, i hope blizz never nerf it
    if someone wants his bad ass green fire... work for it! :3

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cucultlan View Post
    ty for the guide
    was very useful for me, that quest rocks so hard, i hope blizz never nerf it
    if someone wants his bad ass green fire... work for it! :3
    Got mine with ilvl 473 or something, and pvp pieces on top of that, but damn... it felt so fucking good when I finally did it.

As for the nerfing part: https://twitter.com/Ghostcrawler/sta...57408547078145

I am 100% certain that they are going to nerf it before the next expansion, which sucks, but people will be one-shooting the boss sooner or later anyway, I highly doubt that they are going to make it unobtainable (think benediction/anathema) or add some some gear scaling (challenge mode style) later on.

TLDR: Enjoy feeling 'special' for now, it ain't gonna last for long.

Quote Originally Posted by Varulv View Post
    Got mine with ilvl 473 or something, and pvp pieces on top of that, but damn... it felt so fucking good when I finally did it.

I am 100% certain that they are going to nerf it before the next expansion, which sucks, but people will be one-shooting the boss sooner or later anyway, I highly doubt that they are going to make it unobtainable (think benediction/anathema) or add some some gear scaling (challenge mode style) later on.

thats sad from blizzard but as you say... expected

yeah for now we are the special flakes

10+ Year Old Account
    Just a heads up :

The boss can cast Curse of Ultimate Doom twice, causing it to stack to 14 minutes, HOWEVER it will tick at the 7 minute mark.
    I died after a flawless run at 27% because this

update:

Just finished it. ilevel 483.

Here is some other things i noticed :

Rebuff yourself (DI and Drums) after the felhunter phases, they eat them off you.
    Dismiss and re-enslave your pitlord during EACH doomguard summoning
    A Purification Potion is a must.
    at Sub 20%, abuse the pitlord's stun with ROF on imps, shadowburn, Doomguard and CDs.
    Doomguard will tank adds if you abuse your gateway.
    Doomguards lived after the encounter and killed me twice, just banish one and fear the other so you can drain the boss.
    Last edited by the0o; 2013-04-04 at 06:10 AM.

"Humility defeats pride, Master Yang has preached. Pride defeats man"

Deleted
    So , a just dinged 90 warlock can't do this ?:P haha just dinged my lock to 90 and almost to this phase, gonna give it a few tries but i think ima gear first

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Henkdejager View Post
    So , a just dinged 90 warlock can't do this ?:P haha just dinged my lock to 90 and almost to this phase, gonna give it a few tries but i think ima gear first
    Technically it is possible, but not for the average warlock. It's better to wait till you have at least 480+ gear imo.

I geared my alt only to do this quest. I didn't kill him after trying for 2-3 hours last night. But I could get him to 2nd Doom Lord on 2 occasions. I play on EU servers from Oceania which means 400-600ms latency and it HURTS. I play demo so the leap helps with getting out of rain of fire.

What kills me:
    The chaos bolt. Because I sometimes forget to abuse the portal
    Dots in fel puppy phase. Because I try to kill them ASAP and forget to Singe myself.

What works for me:
    Harvest life the imps. Two HoG, shadowfury, Flame Breath and spam harvest life.
    Have the Pit Lord attack and tank Doom Lords. Much better than banish/fear in a hectic fight.
    Use meta for the felhunters. Face them away and have the Pit Lord flame them. They never remove the enslave when I position them correctly.

I know I will have it this weekend. It's just a matter of doing everything correctly at all times. ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Varulv View Post

As for the nerfing part: https://twitter.com/Ghostcrawler/sta...57408547078145

I doubt they'll nerf it myself, purely because gearing up makes the fight so much easier already.
    I'm someone who doesn't like banging my head against a wall for too long, so I've been gearing up on my warlock before attempting Kanrethad properly, and I managed to get him down tonight after roughly an hour of attempts in 495 gear. I wouldn't say I was going super-crazy on the DPS, but I managed to finish the fight right after the second imp phase. If you have the gear to kill him within just one round of summons (give or take the imp phase - it's practically a buff as Destro anyway!), it's really not that hard a fight with practice.

By the end of the expansion even LFR players like me are probably going to be in 540 gear or more. By that point the boss will likely be dying within one cycle even without squeezing DPS with charge/chaos bolt combos. The fel hunters will probably be one-shottable, and even Kanrethad's chaos bolt should be survivable without cooldowns.

When you take all of that into account, I doubt we'll see any hard nerfs. As the gear level goes up most of the things that make the encounter hard will start to disappear, and nerfing the mechanics on top of that would just reduce it to a trivial level.

But anyway! I felt like I had to post in one of these threads now that I'm part of the green fire club. It felt super cool to pull off something that felt like a real challenge after not having raided since Wrath. I'd love more challenging solo stuff like this!