Poll: Did you find this Guide Useful?

As an ele shaman main who's been playing a lock alt again for the first time since Wrath, this is by far one of the most aggravating yet fun challenges added to WoW in a very long time. I've yet to beat the goober but it's not a gear issue for sure (lock is at 498 ilvl now), simply an execution issue.

Just brewed up some puri potions in addition to the int pots and flasks I had made so I can give this some more tries. It's got that addictive nature of some of the old PITA games I played as a kid on NES and SNES where it's aggravatingly difficult yet you want to keep at it until you beat it.

Kudos to those who've completed it, and to Blizzard for this particular flavor of content (here's hoping other classes get neat solo content like this in the future).

at like 490+ you should be able to kill him right as the 2nd terror guard is summoned.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

Well, I think I'm done.

After giving it my most serious series of attempts in gear I don't think will be substantially upgraded this cycle, I just don't see myself doing this. I cannot properly express the severe disappointment this entire questline has been for me. I felt there was way too much hand-holding (the hot-cold) in finding the artifacts, huge chunks of the story felt nakedly missing (I know the reason for that), the "moral choice" (or lack thereof) in the Black Temple felt like an insult to my character (again, I know what happened there, development-wise too) and the final encounter feels very lazily designed in terms of trying to simulate "challenge". The only bright spots to me were that the lore itself.. at least what we got of it, was well written, and I did think the mechanics of progressing through the Black Temple itself were clever and well done... which just adds to my frustration at how the final fight turned out. Also adding to it.. perhaps even more so than the encounter itself is how many people are cheering the design (maybe I just have a wildly different concept of "fun" than so many others, I dunno).

To me, challenges that you can't quite overcome are supposed to give you a "ah well, we'll get 'em next time" attitude; I feel that way about most encounters in progression raiding and that's great. With this one, first blush impression (at 490ish) was "wow.. this isn't fun AT ALL. Well, maybe it'll go smoother with better gear" (an aside, all the people that post along the lines of "I did this in a mix of 470s and pvp gear.. if you can't you must be the suckiest suck who ever sucked" are very, very unhelpful). Trying another round of attempts at 510ish was basically "ok, yeah.. my impression of this fight hasn't changed at all.. I guess I'll just try to outgear it so I can get it overwith", and now at 525 it's "nope.. this ain't happenin".

I've often referred to the encounter as "juggling chainsaws" because that's exactly what it feels like, and what I certainly do not enjoy. Far too much going on at once and too quickly and any lapse whatsoever and your hand gets cut off. I'm sorry, that is just simply in no way fun for me.

I've mained a warlock since launch and have been Aff and nothing else ever since they removed the cast time from Siphon Life (when dual specs were introduced, that allowed me to have an Aff pve spec, and an Aff pvp spec; only in MoP did I change my offspec to demo, explicitly for tanking). This fight doesn't "make me a better warlock" (as so many are fond of saying in regards to this), it makes me want to -quit- my warlock (and by extension, WoW itself), since apparently something else entirely is expected of how I'm supposed to play the class I love.

This post is probably coming across as whiny.. honestly, I don't care. These are my feelings, and I'm certain there has to be others out there, regardless of how few they may be, that feel the same, and if thinking that those few are silently nodding in agreement, then that makes me feel just a tiny bit better to get this off my chest.

I'm not even mad (well, enraged) this time like I was after my previous rounds of attempts; just.. profoundly disappointed and resigned. I posted a poll weeks ago (before the ridiculous initial 5.4 notes drew mine and everyone else's attention) that asked how many people use addons (both in general and the encounter specifically) in an attempt to correlate their use to those that found the encounter "fun". The reason being that I have a strong suspicion that encounter was designed not only with addons and macros in mind, but likely expected. My suspicion could be wrong, but that's what it certainly feels like. If it IS true however, that is deeply flawed design. My feelings about addons in general is a whole other rant that doesn't belong here, but I brought it up to perhaps better explain my frustration.
    Last edited by Szarala; 2013-07-03 at 02:08 AM. Reason: further thoughts

10+ Year Old Account
    having just completed the final boss on my lock last night i can tell you dont give up. i had about 800g in repairs and your persistence will pay off in pretty green pixels

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Szarala View Post
    Well, I think I'm done.

After giving it my most serious series of attempts in gear I don't think will be substantially upgraded this cycle, I just don't see myself doing this. I cannot properly express the severe disappointment this entire questline has been for me. I felt there was way too much hand-holding (the hot-cold) in finding the artifacts, huge chunks of the story felt nakedly missing (I know the reason for that), the "moral choice" (or lack thereof) in the Black Temple felt like an insult to my character (again, I know what happened there, development-wise too) and the final encounter feels very lazily designed in terms of trying to simulate "challenge". The only bright spots to me were that the lore itself.. at least what we got of it, was well written, and I did think the mechanics of progressing through the Black Temple itself were clever and well done... which just adds to my frustration at how the final fight turned out. Also adding to it.. perhaps even more so than the encounter itself is how many people are cheering the design (maybe I just have a wildly different concept of "fun" than so many others, I dunno).

To me, challenges that you can't quite overcome are supposed to give you a "ah well, we'll get 'em next time" attitude; I feel that way about most encounters in progression raiding and that's great. With this one, first blush impression (at 490ish) was "wow.. this isn't fun AT ALL. Well, maybe it'll go smoother with better gear" (an aside, all the people that post along the lines of "I did this in a mix of 470s and pvp gear.. if you can't you must be the suckiest suck who ever sucked" are very, very unhelpful). Trying another round of attempts at 510ish was basically "ok, yeah.. my impression of this fight hasn't changed at all.. I guess I'll just try to outgear it so I can get it overwith", and now at 525 it's "nope.. this ain't happenin".

I've often referred to the encounter as "juggling chainsaws" because that's exactly what it feels like, and what I certainly do not enjoy. Far too much going on at once and too quickly and any lapse whatsoever and your hand gets cut off. I'm sorry, that is just simply in no way fun for me.

I've mained a warlock since launch and have been Aff and nothing else ever since they removed the cast time from Siphon Life (when dual specs were introduced, that allowed me to have an Aff pve spec, and an Aff pvp spec; only in MoP did I change my offspec to demo, explicitly for tanking). This fight doesn't "make me a better warlock" (as so many are fond of saying in regards to this), it makes me want to -quit- my warlock (and by extension, WoW itself), since apparently something else entirely is expected of how I'm supposed to play the class I love.

This post is probably coming across as whiny.. honestly, I don't care. These are my feelings, and I'm certain there has to be others out there, regardless of how few they may be, that feel the same, and if thinking that those few are silently nodding in agreement, then that makes me feel just a tiny bit better to get this off my chest.

I'm not even mad (well, enraged) this time like I was after my previous rounds of attempts; just.. profoundly disappointed and resigned. I posted a poll weeks ago (before the ridiculous initial 5.4 notes drew mine and everyone else's attention) that asked how many people use addons (both in general and the encounter specifically) in an attempt to correlate their use to those that found the encounter "fun". The reason being that I have a strong suspicion that encounter was designed not only with addons and macros in mind, but likely expected. My suspicion could be wrong, but that's what it certainly feels like. If it IS true however, that is deeply flawed design. My feelings about addons in general is a whole other rant that doesn't belong here, but I brought it up to perhaps better explain my frustration.
    Dont give up, took me 3 hours, was so worth it!
    Just practice an practice until its, felhunters, move felguard *yawn* Or, imps kill em with fel breath and rain of fire
    Dooo it
    Also, no need for addons, the only one you may need is weak auras for procs if you have problem to watch em and o the fight

Deleted
    Well, I think I'm done.

hello,

it must be frustrating as hell to fail. i can feel you (had to try it around 70 times, although did it in DEMO with ilvl 498) but what you describe as:

"Far too much going on at once and too quickly and any lapse whatsoever"

is one big part of an description about SKILL. multimanaging stuff, see through the chaos, deciding about what to do next under big pressure... yeah. thats skill. you couldnt make it, i feel sorry for you, i really do. but dont blame the guys making one of the most exciting quests i ever played with diffuse conspiracy theories...

Quote Originally Posted by schuelertomas View Post
    hello,

it must be frustrating as hell to fail. i can feel you (had to try it around 70 times, although did it in DEMO with ilvl 498) but what you describe as:

"Far too much going on at once and too quickly and any lapse whatsoever"

is one big part of an description about SKILL. multimanaging stuff, see through the chaos, deciding about what to do next under big pressure... yeah. thats skill. you couldnt make it, i feel sorry for you, i really do. but dont blame the guys making one of the most exciting quests i ever played with diffuse conspiracy theories...
    YOU find watching (and acting on) five different things at once "exciting". Great. Real super happy for you. Many people don't. Yes, managing such a hectic situation is -a- skill, but it's not -the- skill, and to have the encounter so focused on such a specific skill is not only frustrating to those lacking that particular ability, it is alienating. For example, I personally would have loved it if there was no hot-cold aid in finding the artifacts, and the clues to their locations in the journal were more cryptic. ..or if navigating the Black Temple involved more intricate puzzles. THAT would have been "exciting" for me, but how many others would that frustrate (or would simply instantly go online to look for the solution)?

Personally, I am glad that it was as hard as it was, as it made it that much more rewarding once I finally completed it. (Also glad that it wasn't merely a gear check either...purification potion FTW!)

Besides, if it were much easier, it wouldn't feel like much of an accomplishment seeing yourself and others with green fire. And with something as unique as green fire being the reward for this particular "achievement", why cheat yourself out of that very process that makes it the accomplishment that it is?

I think you'll end up finally getting it, and then you'll see the other side of the coin. I know I did, as at first I also thought that it was "too hard"...STAY THE COURSE!
    Last edited by Supernex; 2013-07-03 at 11:27 PM.

I will burn your soul.

Got him in 7 attempts, total 40 minutes.
    Ilvl 500, used intellect flask.
    Destro is definitely way to go, timing charge+burst helps a lot. Not to mention glyph of Enslave Demon.

Fight was overall easy, died on first 2 attempts cos of bad LoS'ing CB.
    Well, I have 2.7k rating in 3s as warlock so that may be the reason of beating it fast.

Just got him on my first attempt.

The fight requires you to use all the tools available to your class. You are willfully ignoring those tools, and losing because of it. This fight -does- make you a better warlock - you just refuse.

And no, it's not "lazily" designed.

What would you have preferred the fight to be, instead? I see a lot of whining, a lot of accusations against the developers not putting in enough effort, so pray tell, what is the mystical game design vision that you would rather it had been had they not been so lazy?

Well, I think I'm done.

I hear you man. It's a tough quest and I can understand it's not something for everyone's taste. It's similar to high end pvp or raiding and not everyone wants that stress and challenge. I did it at 487 the second week that 5.2 hit and before DBM timers were made for it, so I had quite the share of frustrations. I'm not a amazing raider/player (my guild is only 3/13 HM) and I did it as affliction, which has terrible imp aoe dmg. Took me 3 days with maybe 8 hours of attempts spread in there. It was worth it in the end but I don't recommend it to my guildies who keep getting frustrated. Go at it again in 6.0. There's no deadline to it. It will get much easier and less stressful. Do what makes you happy and all that!

YOU find watching (and acting on) five different things at once "exciting". Great. Real super happy for you. Many people don't. Yes, managing such a hectic situation is -a- skill, but it's not -the- skill, and to have the encounter so focused on such a specific skill is not only frustrating to those lacking that particular ability, it is alienating. For example, I personally would have loved it if there was no hot-cold aid in finding the artifacts, and the clues to their locations in the journal were more cryptic. ..or if navigating the Black Temple involved more intricate puzzles. THAT would have been "exciting" for me, but how many others would that frustrate (or would simply instantly go online to look for the solution)?

I'm sorry the quest is giving you trouble mate. I know it's a real grinder for a lot of locks. It gave me trouble to until it clicked. Best advice there is, is given a lot in this thread. Just take a step back from it and cool off, approach it fresh and not frustrated.

At the end of the day, this quest is pure repetition. The problem being the repetition is a pretty quick recital. You're required to do quite a lot quite consistently for 7-10 minutes.

I know it's hard but when you get it to click, you'll enjoy it. If I could i'd offer to do it for you if it wasn't against ToS.

If you really can't stand it anymore just accept that it's probably not worth the frustration.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreyo View Post
    The fight requires you to use all the tools available to your class. You are willfully ignoring those tools, and losing because of it. This fight -does- make you a better warlock - you just refuse.
    What tools am I ignoring? Going destro? If that's the implication here, then that would be even more infuriating. It's bad enough that talents don't mean anything anymore and are now just a series of knobs to be turned on a whim but are you saying spec shouldn't matter now either?

And no, it's not "lazily" designed.

What would you have preferred the fight to be, instead? I see a lot of whining, a lot of accusations against the developers not putting in enough effort, so pray tell, what is the mystical game design vision that you would rather it had been had they not been so lazy?
    Part of the frustration with the questline as a whole, is you see so much evidence of wasted potential, as if before they were finished they were told "alright, time's up, pack it in and ship what you've got" (and as I understand it, this is exactly what happened).

As for the Kanrethad encounter itself, I can see what they tried/meant to do, in terms of utilizing a wide range of warlock abilities, but instead that aspect comes up short and the fight instead becomes "let's just throw a whole bunch of crap at them really fast" and 90% of the fight surrounds the pit lord and -its- abilities. Considering we haven't used Enslave Demon in any significant way since BC and likely still won't in the immediate future (I could be wrong, but not seeing a whole lot of enslavable demons in SoO) and everything centers on the abilities of a pit lord you haven't seen before.. and won't again.. how exactly does THAT "make you a better warlock"?

There's a lot of different things that could have been done to make the encounter more interesting, warlocky and fun instead of a "how good are you at making macros and watching debuffs?" test. Kanrethad could have a specific reaction to Fear.. Cataclysm could've been avoidable via an elevated platform.. he could periodically turn invisible... there could've been different phases that require different demons (your regular demons.. you know, the ones you actually use every day). Hell, the fight could've been underwater (or a similar gimmick like the chamber filling with gas or something).

Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    At the end of the day, this quest is pure repetition. The problem being the repetition is a pretty quick recital. You're required to do quite a lot quite consistently for 7-10 minutes.
    This is my prime complaint. I see/know exactly what has to be done and when, but it's overwhelming and there are only so many things I can focus on at once.

I know it's hard but when you get it to click, you'll enjoy it.
    There is nothing about the encounter that's enjoyable to me. I knew from the first time I saw it it was not my idea of fun. Like I said earlier, there have been plenty of encounters throughout WoW that even while failing at them I had no problem with and still enjoyed the challenge. There are a handful of others, however, that are simply a chore and I hate even through success; Putricide and Sindragosa immediately come to mind. The Kanrethad encounter easily falls into the latter's category.

I also understand the "you'll feel better when it's done" sentiment, but I don't agree with it. That's like saying you'll feel better after the waterboarding is over. While that's true, do you know what else feels good? Not getting waterboarded in the first place.

If you really can't stand it anymore just accept that it's probably not worth the frustration.
    This is the crux of the matter isn't it? To be completely honest, I don't even -want- green fire, and even if I did I'd have what.. Burning Rush and Rain of Fire to show for it, the latter I rarely even use? It's more that I get the sensation that I'm being looked down on for not having completed it, and that bothers me intensely.

This is the crux of the matter isn't it? To be completely honest, I don't even -want- green fire, and even if I did I'd have what.. Burning Rush and Rain of Fire to show for it, the latter I rarely even use? It's more that I get the sensation that I'm being looked down on for not having completed it, and that bothers me intensely.
    That reminds me of a girl who sits near me at work. I made the offhand comment that It looked a little cluttered over there and now everyday she genuinely asks me if it's cluttered like it affects me and my work ability.

Point being, don't put to much stock into the belief that people are looking down on you. I get my ass handed to me in meters by demo warlocks who have never even tried the green fire quest. Some will always be better raiders than me. As a counter-point I'm nearly positive they don't look onto me as some sort of god of warlocks because of my green fire.

God of situational humor perhaps but i digress.

How much dps (average) do you need? Got my first try on him tonight and got him to 50%ish, couple seconds before the 2nd felhunter phase, so seems like i`m a bit behind on dps.

I had a 65k - 70k average as affliction.

Deleted
    Just to consolidate a few things here -

This is not a gear check

You do not need to be in a specific spec

The gateway negates the majority of the encounter

It is well designed because it lets you use your entire toolkit - This is amazing design

It is also good because at my current item level (547) you can literally just blow him up in less than 2 minutes - This is lower item level than normal of next tier so everyone will be able to get this regardless of how 'good' there ability to multi task is

This is one of those extremely rare fights where people might actually think 'wow keybinds would be really handy here' - Now this is SUPER important because world of warcraft atm hands everything to everyone and very rarely asks you to think for yourself.

If you are having trouble with this quest and genuinely cant get it with this tier's gear then come back next tier when your bigger and better, the reward is still waiting for you, and if you cant get it next tier come back next expansion when you will probably 1 shot the clown, the thing is with that when you do its gna be the most satisfying 10 seconds of your life (virgin / not virgin depending) because you will have put so much effort into killing it and you cant buy that feeling.

To everyone who is still struggling with it i wish you all the best of luck but dont give up and dont stress yourself on it either.

Quote Originally Posted by AjayxD View Post
    It is well designed because it lets you use your entire toolkit - This is amazing design
    I just explained why this is not true.

Deleted
    I read your post and i do sympathize but the thing is you dont ever actually have to multi task and there is very few things to actually keep track of in this fight.

You just need to be aware of the order in which everything happens and have all your keybinds setup accordingly before the pull.

Lets say you pull the boss 100 times and you wipe at each %, you learn something new every pull (really this is a drastic example), you just need to take something from each wipe to proceed, if necessary have someone stand with you saying the stuff you just learned as the time approach's, thats all part of getting better and this boss trains people extremely well because each time you fail on this your gna get a little better until it all comes together and you finally win the prize so to speak.

The 'Skill' to this encounter is overcoming tasks as you approach them individually and then putting it all together and seen as on this encounter you are going to use the following (non spec specific spells) -

Pet attack
    Pet heal
    Pet charge
    Pet dispel (offensive and defensive)
    Pet move
    Gateway
    Portal
    Healthstone
    Command demon
    Unbound will (potentially)
    Enslave Demon
    Banish
    Shadowfury
    Fear
    Purification potion (potentially)

Things to look out for -

Line of sight
    Pet positioning
    Resource management
    CD management
    CC timers
    Buff / Debuff awareness

All of this is part of playing a warlock, so your logic is flawed, this fight trains you to become better at your class if you are failing at it and is extremely well designed

You also do not need Macro's or addon's to do this fight, what you do need is keybindings (which make you a better player anyway)

Yes.. controlling a pet (with wildly different abilities than your normal pets) you never had before and never will again makes you better at your class.