Poll: Did you find this Guide Useful?

Quote Originally Posted by Thumbtacks View Post
    Fuck this quest. Seriously. I cannot get them to get off my Pit Lord's dick. I put him in a corner, they go and get him. I leave him attacking Kanrethad, they get him. I los him from the portal, they somehow fucking break enslave before they're even out of the portal. Maybe if I bring a mage with me he can make me a portal to Shattrath and maybe my goddamn pit lord will be safe there. Otherwise, I quit.
    Like I said a few posts back, just wait til you've got over ilvl 530 and it'll be a breeze. Otherwise, like someone else said, the Felhunters are all about drawing aggro on them before they go after the Pit Lord.

Fuck this quest. Seriously. I cannot get them to get off my Pit Lord's dick. I put him in a corner, they go and get him. I leave him attacking Kanrethad, they get him. I los him from the portal, they somehow fucking break enslave before they're even out of the portal. Maybe if I bring a mage with me he can make me a portal to Shattrath and maybe my goddamn pit lord will be safe there. Otherwise, I quit.
    Don't give up just yet. What worked for me and it seems some other people (granted results/strats almost always vary a little) is not to LoS the pit lord behind anything, just move him right behind kanrethad where he normally stands by the portal so that he's to the right side while you move to the far left side so their backs are directly to the pit lord/kanrethad. Depending on what spec you use you can do a few things to pull aggro as soon as they pop out. First off when he runs toward the portal to start summoning, hit soul shatter and fel breath yourself so you drop all threat on kan to prevent him from spam casting on you and you can focus solely on the felhunters without worrying about seed popping on you and screwing you up. As Affliction (the spec i beat him with) it's important to have preferably 3 soulshards for the phase but it's doable with 1 i just stood to the left side of the portal and fel flamed (yours, not the pits) the felhunters as they appeared then dotted each of them up the focused one down at a time making sure to generate shards off them as needed. As Demonology (tried this one several times and personally i think it's the easiest one to get through the felhunter phase with) i did the same thing to pull them toward me then popped cds, went meta and 2x Chaos Wave and in the unlikely event that didnt kill them the cone aoe thing will kill them off and you're golden. I didn't play destro in the fight, but i would imagine it would go something like RoF the portal to pull them toward you, havoc the first, chaos bolt the 2nd then use chaos bolts and incinerates to put them in execute range if they arent already then just burn the last one. Hopefully that helps a little

Quote Originally Posted by Count Zero View Post
    It's not about LoS, it's about having aggro on them so they're facing you and not it
    This. I have my pit lord beating on the fel hounds for a few seconds every time I do this. As long as you have aggro on the fel hounds and he's behind them, you're fine.

Now the attempt where I panicked and hit soulshatter during that phase...well that was hilarious.

10+ Year Old Account
    Did it today on my 4th or 5th attempt, 501 ilvl.

The tactic of using charge on the doggies pretty much makes that phase trivial. Doomguards can be ignored if you get them to sit on Pit Lord. Potion the enrage away.

Such a cakewalk! I seriously regret that I didn't do it at lower ilvl.

I really don't understand how the Pit Lord can aggro Fel hunters..? Stand on the right side of his portal, Pit Lord on left. Put RoF on the portal, FelHunters goes straight for you. They die in around 3 seconds with the charge + flame + your own stuff.
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by JJShadoe View Post
    I got the book in the first day or two it was available, spent an hour or two trying it until it was clear that Affliction sucked for beating Kanrethad, and decided not to bother with it since I'm always Aff and it barely affected me anyway.

Now that they're making it change our class mounts, I figured I'd like to have the option, so I went back in today, about 30 ilvls higher than before. I barely needed to mind the mechanics, I was sloppy as hell, and I one-shot it as Affliction. He was dead shortly after the first Felhunter stage began, I didn't even bother attacking the Felhunters or trying to maintain control of the Pit Lord (once the Felhunters cleansed my enslave). I just popped defensive CDs and burned down Kanrethad.

So if you're having trouble or have had trouble with this, it should be pretty easy for you with some 5.4 gear in the near future.

yeh but imho thats pretty lame to kill it when its easy its like doing T14 instances with T15 gear and feeling glad about performance and progress!
    green is the color!

Quote Originally Posted by Asrialol View Post
    Did it today on my 4th or 5th attempt, 501 ilvl.

The tactic of using charge on the doggies pretty much makes that phase trivial. Doomguards can be ignored if you get them to sit on Pit Lord. Potion the enrage away.

Such a cakewalk! I seriously regret that I didn't do it at lower ilvl.

I really don't understand how the Pit Lord can aggro Fel hunters..? Stand on the right side of his portal, Pit Lord on left. Put RoF on the portal, FelHunters goes straight for you. They die in around 3 seconds with the charge + flame + your own stuff.
    Woot someone else using the strat I've been preaching baby.

Quote Originally Posted by HhitSappens View Post
    For those who quote'd me,

I was 476 at the time, not anymore.
    Also, as I said in the very same post, I might have been through 2 felhunter phases, I just can't remember exactly because it was 5months+ ago (whenever the patch landed);
    Yes, I did have 2-3 minutes left on the doom. the very first time I didn't kill him because of this enrage timer but then I manned up and did more DPS and less "paying attention to stay alive" after I macro'ed everything.

This number is easily achievable, even more considering the pitlord deals a lot of damage. Ilvl 520 dealing only 120k DPS is kinda low.
    Did you charge twice per cataclysm? the stun increases his dmg taken.
    Did you apply CoE instead of Tongues? that helps.
    Did you flask/food? I did.
    Did you combo your CDs with the cataclysm stun? I remember I used to cast Chaos Bolt and when it was about to hit I'd charge him up, leaving me full 5-6s of stun to cast something else, basically a free 100% buffed CB.
    So you were 476 when you wtf-nuked Kan with only 2 mins left on enrage?
    And you actually used the charge for amplifying you CB dmg?
    And you actually applied CoE?
    And you used Flasks and Food?

Read the signature rules

Quote Originally Posted by Staalie View Post
    So you were 476 when you wtf-nuked Kan with only 2 mins left on enrage?
    And you actually used the charge for amplifying you CB dmg?
    And you actually applied CoE?
    And you used Flasks and Food?

Oh, I am sorry!
    I should've replied that 120k dps for an ilvl 520 guy is pretty good right? I am amazed at you people, for real.
    Afterall, none should be beating Kanrethad at ilvl 476ish and the millions of videos on youtube must be fakes and everyone is probably lying.

Like, you took your time to post this about my statements but didn't have a second to think about it.
    Kanrethad has 31m hp, enrage timer is 450s (7 minutes of doom + some of the roleplay/time before the doom is cast). That requires 69k dps to kill him using all the doom time available or 94k dps to kill him with 2 minutes to spare.

But, guess what! That must be impossible for someone with 476 ilvl gear to do 94k dps in an fight that you have an empowered pet, lots of demonic fury/embers from imps and also 100% increased damage from the charge every 40s? or so. Am I right?

Really people, try harder.
    Last edited by HhitSappens; 2013-08-01 at 08:44 AM.

Oh, I am sorry!
    I should've replied that 120k dps for an ilvl 520 guy is pretty good right? I am amazed at you people, for real.
    Afterall, none should be beating Kanrethad at ilvl 476ish and the millions of videos on youtube must be fakes and everyone is probably lying.

Like, you took your time to post this about my statements but didn't have a second to think about it.
    Kanrethad has 31m hp, enrage timer is 450s (7 minutes of doom + some of the roleplay/time before the doom is cast). That requires 69k dps to kill him using all the doom time available or 94k dps to kill him with 2 minutes to spare.

But, guess what! That must be impossible for someone with 476 ilvl gear to do 94k dps in an fight that you have an empowered pet, lots of demonic fury/embers from imps and also 100% increased damage from the charge every 40s? or so. Am I right?

Really people, try harder.
    I'm not bashing on you or something, however you should realize that coming into this thread making these statements sets the wrong expectations for the people who come here for help (which is kind of what this thread is for). If you're stating that with ilvl 476 it is possible to completely ignore the mechanics of the fight to do the sustained dps with the numbers you have shared, then yeah, myself (and others as well) will call you out on this.
    Read the signature rules

I have a noob question. Is this green fire look optional? Is it possible to turn it off or once you finish the quest you will always look like that?

Quote Originally Posted by kejer View Post
    I have a noob question. Is this green fire look optional? Is it possible to turn it off or once you finish the quest you will always look like that?
    Yes from what I read you can visit an NPC in Shadowmoon Valley to have the Fel energies removed from you or to reinfuse you with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Akakishin View Post
    yeh but imho thats pretty lame to kill it when its easy its like doing T14 instances with T15 gear and feeling glad about performance and progress!
    I'm not trying to imply that I'm excited about it or feel like it's an accomplishment, I'm just saying for those who have been frustrated and unable to complete the scenario, you should have no problem out-gearing it in 5.4.

Quote Originally Posted by Staalie View Post
    I'm not bashing on you or something, however you should realize that coming into this thread making these statements sets the wrong expectations for the people who come here for help (which is kind of what this thread is for). If you're stating that with ilvl 476 it is possible to completely ignore the mechanics of the fight to do the sustained dps with the numbers you have shared, then yeah, myself (and others as well) will call you out on this.
    I am sorry if I took you wrong then.

But yes, that was my main point at first. It is indeed possible to ignore most of the mechanics at ilvl 480ish, afterall you are more likely to do mistakes if you have to time and coordinate everything. I'd advice people who are having trouble to give it a try.

My 1st post just incase;
    Not even sure if I should post this but here we go. When this thread started I looked forward to do the green fire questline, too bad I stopped playing and ilvl was bad 476 but it seemed to be more than enough. Killed him with 2-3? minutes left on doom debuff.

-Macro the pitlord breath to all my spells. Stood in front of Karenthed (Pitlord behind him) and got cleansed instantly from the debuffs;
    -Macro the healing spell to all my spells. The pitlord isn't going to die even if you spam this;
    -Move away from rain of fire. Stay in 15yd away from boss then run into melee and swap between those 2 position;
    -Used the charge twice per cataclysm, one at 40-50% energy just for the DPS increase and the other for the interrupt;
    -Used personal portal (not gateway) to avoid chaos bolt using LoS;
    -Save big CDs for felhunter phase (got it only once as far I remember?) - Demon Soul, Abyssal, etc.
    -Ignored the doomguard, let it attacked anything. Usually the pitlord with aggro it with its breath/healing aggro.

And, sadly enough, it worked well. For me the best way to kill Karenthed was simply macro all the available abilities to all my spells and ignore the timing. Just stay in front of him and there you go.

Seemed pretty simple fight, didn't want to post it because it looked like it'd ruin other people fun while doing him but there is the [spoiler] tag for a reason.

15+ Year Old Account
    To echo what others have said, you need to aggro them immediately. This is best accomplished by dropping a rain of fire on the portal before they appear.

The Devour Enslavement ability is a frontal cone AoE with a 100 yard range and they spam it every couple of seconds. In other words, if any of the three Felhunters turn towards your Pit Lord for more than a split second, there's a good chance it will break your enslavement.

Once you get the Felhunter phase down pat, it's just a matter of practice and maximizing DPS before you nail it.

Hate to say it but I give up... for the past 3 days now, I'll drop rain of fire on the fel hounds, watch it hit them, even fel flame them, and all they do is continue to run and eat pit lords enslave. Went from being able to consistently pass the first fel hound phase to being endless stuck there. That and it takes me forever to drop the fel hounds. Chaos Bolt is only hitting for around 35% of their health. I usually have to sacrifical pact before they come out otherwise they eat through my health like its nothing. and by the time one is down they already ate through the shield and part of my health. I seem to have terrible luck with this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just Downed Ebonlocke after 13 attempts ilvl 490 all tyrannical except for 2 rings and trinket....reforged everything to hit with 12% hit.

I did this guide which makes it to where you dont have to LoS the chaos bolts as ebonlocke will be hitting them on the pitlord and EXTENSIVE use of the portals, heres the guide http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9CORoqJE0g

The easiest part of this fight was the felhounds for me, actually....if you LoS the pitlord correctly and shadowfury the first felhound, havoc it, and portal out, they all go after you and its cakewalk to take down the felhounds,

at the very end it gets a little hectic because (if you think imps are easy to do, they aren't) the imps are harassing you while you have to manage the banishes on the doomlord while making sure the boss and the second doom lord is being tanked by the pitlord while making sure you are cleansing yourself of debuffs AND dpsing Ebonlocke himself...

I was soo MAD when i got him to 5% and wiped because of imps, after a successful hour after that, i got him down with a blaze of glory.

Refer to that guide and you never have to worry about chaos bolts and LoSing from it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Serafall View Post
    Hate to say it but I give up... for the past 3 days now, I'll drop rain of fire on the fel hounds, watch it hit them, even fel flame them, and all they do is continue to run and eat pit lords enslave. Went from being able to consistently pass the first fel hound phase to being endless stuck there. That and it takes me forever to drop the fel hounds. Chaos Bolt is only hitting for around 35% of their health. I usually have to sacrifical pact before they come out otherwise they eat through my health like its nothing. and by the time one is down they already ate through the shield and part of my health. I seem to have terrible luck with this.
    Don't give up, follow my guide and its cakewalk, i did it in ilvl 490 tyrannical gear, its worth mentioning i had approximately 2 minutes left of the ultimate doom debuff (of course cleansed it once with purification potion). this fight is how well you can manage your threat on ebonlocke as well as constant use of portals, heals, cleansing, banishes, as well as utilizing the rain of fire on those imps so you can get those free chaos bolts.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    To echo what others have said, you need to aggro them immediately. This is best accomplished by dropping a rain of fire on the portal before they appear.

The Devour Enslavement ability is a frontal cone AoE with a 100 yard range and they spam it every couple of seconds. In other words, if any of the three Felhunters turn towards your Pit Lord for more than a split second, there's a good chance it will break your enslavement.

Once you get the Felhunter phase down pat, it's just a matter of practice and maximizing DPS before you nail it.
    if i may bring some input in, i never had to aggro the fel hounds with RoF, with the way i did it (guide in my first post in thread), i only had to shadowfury the first pet, havoc it, and use the portal and all three went to me (of course i LoSed the pitlord).

One thing worth mentioning is that you have to perfectly move that pitlord in the right spot, even just one foot in the wrong area and the fel hounds will go after you.

in the youtube guide it also provides you with the macros for pitlord breath, heals, banish, focus, charge that is ALL ESSENTIAL in order to defeat Ebonlocke.

ALSO another good timing to re-enslave your pitlord is during when ebonlocke is summoning the first doom lord and the 2nd doom lord. After the 2nd doom lord re-enslave, you wont have to worry about re-enslaving again. IF at any time during the first 2 phases you allow that fel hound to devour that enslave, you're fucked...make sure you correctly LoS that pitlord and use those portals. I NEVER had ebonlocke cast a Chaos bolt on me.

AND finally the timing in which you should use your purification potion is in the final phase when Ebonlock is just casting imps (the first round in the final phase), you should be able to down the imps and loose a couple chaos bolts and have about 20 seconds left before the ultimate doom buff goes off, Make sure you have no debuffs on you at that time and you should be good to go.
    Last edited by Darkrulerxxx; 2013-08-04 at 09:00 PM.

I've never been targeted by Chaos Bolt either. Glyphing portal and just using it on CD. I've got the mechanics down but something always randomly happens that just completely screws over my attempts. My nerves are completely shot so I can't even focus the least bit during the fights anymore. I have to give up because being a game this should be enjoyable but It's just completely worn me out. Gave it a break to go back again, zoned in, already felt like a wreck as my shattered nerves kicked back in, said screw it and hearthed out. Sadly this quest is over for me it seems. My patience is completely gone. Feels like my old fail raid team all over, ended up quitting for 4-6 months after that. Stopping now before I end up quitting again...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Serafall View Post
    I've never been targeted by Chaos Bolt either. Glyphing portal and just using it on CD. I've got the mechanics down but something always randomly happens that just completely screws over my attempts. My nerves are completely shot so I can't even focus the least bit during the fights anymore. I have to give up because being a game this should be enjoyable but It's just completely worn me out. Gave it a break to go back again, zoned in, already felt like a wreck as my shattered nerves kicked back in, said screw it and hearthed out. Sadly this quest is over for me it seems. My patience is completely gone. Feels like my old fail raid team all over, ended up quitting for 4-6 months after that. Stopping now before I end up quitting again...
    give yourself some rest, and push again man, there should not be any "random" events if you have the mechanics on lock down....not to call you out because i know how frustrating it is.

Pick it up and keep going at it : )

I did it again a couple of days ago to get the quest credit (was in a raid the first time I got it so it didn't count for the quest) and it's pretty faceroll once you get some gear. Considering it took me 40+ tries the first time, 3 times to reaquaint myself with the fight and kill it wasn't a lot.

Well by random I mean the annoying fel pups. i stand still while fighting them, so they wont turn around. pit lord behind them on one side of portal, me on the other. Kanrethad beating on pit lord while im taking out fel pups. but they still like to randomly turn to eat enslave. My gear is still only 485.. LFR hates me on this character but loves my mage -_-... and no raid team yet. Will end up going again if I'm lucky enough to get some more gear. Just hope the portal change in next patch won't affect this too badly, though I already have the habit of keeping a circle up during the fight just in case. After years of raiding in FFXI, WoW, Rift and other games, my patience levels have diminished greatly so as of late I get fed up quickly or pissed off easily. One day though, I will finally get this, even if it takes another expansion <_<;;