Poll: Did you find this Guide Useful?

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    @Serafall. Don't give up man. I did this quest this weekend on my warlock alt. the damn Fel puppies were definately the hardest part for me, but once I figured out how to do that part properly, the rest just fell into place.

I was so frustrated at one point, I just had to stand up and walk away before I smashed my keyboard into a million pieces. But I came back, turned on some smoothing music (Explosions in the Sky) and within five more attempts, I had it.

That was at iLev 499. I didn't keep count, but it took me under ~30 tries. Now I'm actually looking forward to trying it as Affliction to see if I can figure out how to do it. Seems like it will be a lot harder than destro.

Edit: I just wish there was an achiev for this quest. Something I could link in gchat to show off.
    Last edited by Baristan; 2013-08-05 at 02:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Baristan View Post
    Edit: I just wish there was an achiev for this quest. Something I could link in gchat to show off.
    The passive in your spellbook?

Quote Originally Posted by Acaila View Post
    The passive in your spellbook?
    or Feats of Strength we could have! /disappointed
    green is the color!

Deleted
    not sure if maybe you're already doing it, but after you interrupted the cataclysm after the imps, immediately move the pit lord behind one of the pillars coming out of the walls. keep RoF over the portal when the felhounds spawn and don't forge to keep using the portal. that way the felhounds never eat the debuff since it's out of LOS.
    just did this fight in 469ilvl gear with green trinket still, so it should go a little smoother for you, if you get that felhound round down. gl^^

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account
    I FINALLY killed Kan last night on my Warlock Istorvir. I first attempted him about a month ago after I had filled out a full malevolent PvP set (ilvl 476) and got completely obliterated. After about 20 wipes I decided I needed better gear, particularly with hit on it. I worked my way up to get enough gear from raid finder to be hit capped, changed a few talents and glyphs, and after about 10 or 12 passes last night was able to defeat him with six seconds left on Ultimate Doom. Really, once I got the Fel Puppies figured out the rest of the fight just fell into place. The end of the fight was crazy! He straight up almost killed me at the last second, but I got off one last Shadowburn before his soul fire and it pushed him over the edge. All said and done, I got him down at 489 ilvl.

I have to say, this was a great encounter. It caused me to utter many a curse word, but what a sense of accomplishment; the same type I had back in my hardcore raiding days. Blizzard got this one right. I really had to work for this to get it done and I severely enjoyed the quest line and Kan's fight.

Congrats to those that have accomplished this, and good luck to those still working on it. Don't give up! Green fire is worth it!
    Last edited by Olvim; 2013-08-08 at 01:26 PM.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Olvim View Post
    Blizzard got this one right.
    At this point I can only think I must be playing an entirely different game to disagree with a sentiment so much.

Deleted
    Okay, so I just started on this quest about a week ago. I tried it a few times last week and couldn't even get past the first Felhunter fase. Today I've been going at it for about an hour, finally on the last 3-4 tries I got past the first Felhunter fase. And once I got those down it wasn't hard to get to the second Felhunter fase, but then I hit another brick wall.

My ilvl is only about 470, so I need to have plenty of luck with ember generation in order to get those pesky Felhunters down quick enough. Yeah, I think once I get some more gear this fight will get very doable. As it is right now I think it's still very much possible, but requires some luck next to skill. I'm sure I'll get it eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyler01 View Post
    Okay, so I just started on this quest about a week ago. I tried it a few times last week and couldn't even get past the first Felhunter fase. Today I've been going at it for about an hour, finally on the last 3-4 tries I got past the first Felhunter fase. And once I got those down it wasn't hard to get to the second Felhunter fase, but then I hit another brick wall.

My ilvl is only about 470, so I need to have plenty of luck with ember generation in order to get those pesky Felhunters down quick enough. Yeah, I think once I get some more gear this fight will get very doable. As it is right now I think it's still very much possible, but requires some luck next to skill. I'm sure I'll get it eventually.
    You don't need luck for this encounter at all. If you are having problems with not having enough embers to burn through the felhunter phase, then that is because you aren't saving them up beforehand. That is completely in your control, as you have far more than enough time to save up the necessary embers before the felhunters get summoned by Kanrethad.

I will burn your soul.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Supernex View Post
    You don't need luck for this encounter at all. If you are having problems with not having enough embers to burn through the felhunter phase, then that is because you aren't saving them up beforehand. That is completely in your control, as you have far more than enough time to save up the necessary embers before the felhunters get summoned by Kanrethad.
    Okay, I noticed what my problem was. I was using Ember Tap instead of the Pitlord's Fel Flame to heal myself. Somehow I thought the Fel Flame healed the Pitlord and not me. Knowing this it makes things a lot easier, I'm sure I'll get Kanrethad down after a few more tries.

Quote Originally Posted by Szarala View Post
    At this point I can only think I must be playing an entirely different game to disagree with a sentiment so much.
    A bit of a challenge isn't a reason to hate something /
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    A bit of a challenge isn't a reason to hate something /
    Already explained at length why I feel the encounter is completely inappropriate. Repeating myself is just gonna ruffle more feathers and get me called more names.

Deleted
    If you put the effort into getting good enough to do the fight szarala instead of making a point to disagree with everyone who says they got it right (the majority) you could have green fire by now.

..that people hold an encounter that's 90% the management of a one-time-ever use pet to be the pinnacle of warlock experience doesn't irritate me, it -infuriates- me.

It's not that people enjoy the encounter and I don't. Many people like rollercoasters and I don't; that's not the issue. The sentiment that just because a handful of warlock tricks are helpful to the encounter that it's the perfect test of being a warlock is just.. unfathomable to me. If they opened up the encounter to any class for whatever reason, putting an Orb of Control or whatever down to allow enslavement of the Pit Lord, I can think of several other classes that could handle the encounter just as well if not better. Heck, soloing G'nathus seems like a better test of warlock abilities than Kanrethad to me.

I'm not saying "Stop liking what I don't like" and I'm not trying to lessen anyone's accomplishments, I just disagree, very, very strongly with all the "this is what being a warlock is all about" cheerleading.

Deleted
    Answer me this please.

Have you got green fire?

Can you stream?

Do you want to complete the quest (assuming you dont have it) ?

I will personally sit on a voice comm server with you until you do this if you actually want to get it done, but i get from your posts that you dont seem to want to and would rather just disagree with everyone who says they like it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Szarala View Post
    soloing G'nathus seems like a better test of warlock abilities than Kanrethad to me.
    im sorry but i almost spit my coffee at the monitor while reading this... gnathus is like unloading your rotation at target dummy , only difference is keeping glyphed exhaustion on him...

Deleted
    Destruction and I never clicked, but you get the impression that it is almost required on this fight, so I kept going between destro and demo. Demo (ilvl 505) made it happen in the end though, knowing how to play your spec. turned out better than any destro advantages on that fight, go figure.

Popping cd's and immolate aura when the puppies are about to come out gave me all the aggro and dps I needed.

To make the puppie phase less stressful - do not wait for Katrethan to start sum the puppies before you send your pitlord away, do this earlier so you have more time to get in position, a few sec's before he start summoning does a lot to calm the situation.

Track Kat's dots with a big bar on your screen, this had a huge impact for me instead of just using the spell from the pitlord on cd, it made everything less stressful to just use the spell when needed. Same with the gateway, knowing exactly when it will work instead of hanging around the area when it "should" be off cd made it easier to grasp the fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluesftw View Post
    im sorry but i almost spit my coffee at the monitor while reading this... gnathus is like unloading your rotation at target dummy , only difference is keeping glyphed exhaustion on him...
    I meant that line as more of an indictment on Kanrethad (in that an encounter where just a snare and waterwalking feels more warlocky than the purposely designed warlock encounter).

Deleted
    Meh, today I got him down to about 5% a few times. I keep dying to the Doomlords aggroing me. I guess I should pay a bit more attention to always keep the Demonic Gateway debuff up, even before the Imps get summoned because it seems Soulshatter isn't enough. Anyway, whatever... I'll get lucky and down him sometime soon.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Darkrulerxxx View Post
    give yourself some rest, and push again man, there should not be any "random" events if you have the mechanics on lock down....not to call you out because i know how frustrating it is.
    Well, it can be prevented in most cases... but this one time I got Dark Hole on both sides of my Demonic Gateway. Great fun that was.

Just managed to beat him as demo after about 50 attempts. I tried as destruction, but I'm just not used to the spec and couldn't get as far. On my successful attempt I got him killed him just before the 2nd doomlord was summoned.