Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
3
4
5
6
LastLast
  1. #81
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    You think there were 800,000 lobbyist/schmoozers on the capital mall yesterday?


    Did you even read what I said before your knee jerked?

    Unless you think those people on the mall were invited to those five figure a ticket after parties...

  2. #82
    The Insane Reeve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX USA
    Posts
    18,848
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    Did you even read what I said before your knee jerked?

    Unless you think those people on the mall were invited to those five figure a ticket after parties...
    You referred to the ceremony. The whole post was about the ceremony. I made a reasonable assumption that your reference to party was also about the ceremony, especially since your complaint was about public money being wasted.
    Well 1, 2, 3, take my hand and come with me
    Because you look so fine
    And I really wanna make you mine

  3. #83
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    You referred to the ceremony. The whole post was about the ceremony. I made a reasonable assumption that your reference to party was also about the ceremony, especially since your complaint was about public money being wasted.
    The whole post wasn't about the ceremony, which is why I referred to the parties. The whole point of the second term President's inauguration (imo) is a ego trip and a schmooze party to thank all the ultrawealthy people who put him into office and start talking to his administration and other luminaries about those favors they were promised.

  4. #84
    yeah fuck traditions, they only let us know about our ancestry and culture, lets get rid of all traditions, no christmas presents, no trick or treating, screw your birthday what you think your special or something, lets throw marriage out the window, thanksgiving? whats that?


  5. #85
    The Insane Reeve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX USA
    Posts
    18,848
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    The whole post wasn't about the ceremony, which is why I referred to the parties. The whole point of the second term President's inauguration (imo) is a ego trip and a schmooze party to thank all the ultrawealthy people who put him into office and start talking to his administration and other luminaries about those favors they were promised.
    It's not really an ego trip. You don't really need a huge ceremony like that to stroke your ego when you're already the most powerful individual in the world. It's more to give Americans a sense of ceremony/ritual, to announce an agenda for the next term, and to placate the donors so they don't get pissed and start actively working against your agenda.
    Well 1, 2, 3, take my hand and come with me
    Because you look so fine
    And I really wanna make you mine

  6. #86
    The Insane Wildtree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Iowa - Franconia
    Posts
    17,034
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadvolcanoes View Post
    I guess the only thing that really bothers me is the fact that they still use the Bible.

    I mean over 25% of the Nation doesn't practice any form of Christianity, and you know, separation of church and state.

    I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it, but yeah, I find it annoying.
    You would have to change the procedure generally.
    It's an oath, and therefore it is common practice to swear by the bible. It's taken from the court rooms, where the same applies.

    As for the inauguration. I've watched it too yesterday.. What - as a foreigner I guess I'm excused - I learned during the broadcast is, that it's a tradition that goes back to George Washington, who mustered his militia around him, and then marched into town with them. Over time it turned into what it is today. What I truly found funny was, how there have been 2 inaugurations. One happened in a rather private atmosphere on the 20th, like the constitution commands, and then the one yesterday with all the mambo jambo around it.

    In overall however, I noticed that it was a nice feeling to see at least for a couple days the partisanship of congress at rest. How great could the country actually be, if they could do and act so even on a daily basis.

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-22 at 10:36 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    This is simply just not true. The galas and balls after the inauguration are privately funded (in part) but the ceremony, parade and clean up is all publically funded.
    People who stood and sat there on both sides of the streets paid to see it.. There were tickets sold.
    There weren't just blockades raised and everyone could just walk up. I'm sure that money contributes to cover some expenses.
    On top, for security.. Apparently all states contributed to that.. I know, since I seen it last night in the local news, that the Police dept. from Omaha, NE sent 8 cops to volunteer.

  7. #87
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    It's not really an ego trip. You don't really need a huge ceremony like that to stroke your ego when you're already the most powerful individual in the world. It's more to give Americans a sense of ceremony/ritual, to announce an agenda for the next term, and to placate the donors so they don't get pissed and start actively working against your agenda.

    That's your opinion, and I don't agree with it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    People who stood and sat there on both sides of the streets paid to see it.. There were tickets sold.
    There weren't just blockades raised and everyone could just walk up. I'm sure that money contributes to cover some expenses.
    On top, for security.. Apparently all states contributed to that.. I know, since I seen it last night in the local news, that the Police dept. from Omaha, NE sent 8 cops to volunteer.
    Tickets are given away free of charge via members of Congress, selling them is fraudulent.

    You don't need tickets to see the swearing in or the parade, I live in the DC/metro area and have been to several, unless you want to sit in certain areas, you can just walk up to it at the majority of areas.

  8. #88
    The Insane Wildtree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Iowa - Franconia
    Posts
    17,034
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    That's your opinion, and I don't agree with it.

    Tickets are given away free of charge via members of Congress, selling them is fraudulent.

    You don't need tickets to see the swearing in or the parade, I live in the DC/metro area and have been to several, unless you want to sit in certain areas, you can just walk up to it at the majority of areas.
    The tickets cost 40 bucks a piece.... Should have paid attention to the broadcast..
    They said it there...
    They were bound to a fund raiser.. I dunno, gotta check deeper. but they said the tickets were 40 bucks.
    For the ball where public attendance was permitted, they were 60 bucks.
    Last edited by Wildtree; 2013-01-22 at 04:48 PM.

  9. #89
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    The tickets cost 40 bucks a piece.... Should have paid attention to the broadcast..
    They said it there...
    They were bound to a fund raiser.. I dunno, gotta check deeper. but they said the tickets were 40 bucks.
    For the ball where public attendance was permitted, they were 60 bucks.
    Who the hells knows why this site is carrying the story, but it's the first google link and I'm too lazy to spend anymore time on it because I know you're wrong:

    http://hiphopwired.com/2013/01/21/sc...ickets-photos/

  10. #90
    The Insane Wildtree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Iowa - Franconia
    Posts
    17,034
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    Who the hells knows why this site is carrying the story, but it's the first google link and I'm too lazy to spend anymore time on it because I know you're wrong:

    http://hiphopwired.com/2013/01/21/sc...ickets-photos/
    I found this:
    http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/...et-prices.html
    you don't have to spend more times, since the official website states what you stated.. However, they did sell tickets as well to get the fundraiser goal. Unless Wolf Blitzer lied during the broadcast. the seated tickets at the parade were 40 bucks a piece lol
    Last edited by Wildtree; 2013-01-22 at 04:55 PM.

  11. #91
    The Insane Reeve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX USA
    Posts
    18,848
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Those are tickets to the balls after the inauguration.
    Well 1, 2, 3, take my hand and come with me
    Because you look so fine
    And I really wanna make you mine

  12. #92
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I don't have any great interest in the inauguration, but I'm home today, so it's on in the background. I'm not much of a fan these sorts of ceremonies in general, I guess. Comments anyone?

    Ugh... throwing in a hymn for no particular reason makes our nation look superstitious.
    So there was a second Inauguration ceremony. That was followed by a luncheon and church service. Then we had a parade and at least two "ceremonial balls."

    I wonder how much of a bill the tax-payers were handed for what, in essence, was totally unnecessary. Especially considering the real Inauguration happened on Sunday during a small, private, ceremony.

  13. #93
    Why they didn't just have the ceremony on Sunday is beyond me, probably something to do with alcohol sales on a Sunday in the district or something asinine like that.

    Would have also made driving on Monday not be a nightmare.

  14. #94
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    It's not really an ego trip. You don't really need a huge ceremony like that to stroke your ego when you're already the most powerful individual in the world. It's more to give Americans a sense of ceremony/ritual, to announce an agenda for the next term, and to placate the donors so they don't get pissed and start actively working against your agenda.
    1. The most powerful individual in the world? I think you'll find a LOT of countries that don't agree with that. Sort of reminds me of something George Carlin said, that we're one of the most obnoxious countries in the world because we're the only one running around screaming how great we are.
    2. I was under the impression that the "State of the Union" speech was designed for the President to set out his plans?

    Pretty sure Monday was a lot of wasted money for someone who isn't happy unless he's on TV every other day or so.

  15. #95
    The Insane Reeve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX USA
    Posts
    18,848
    Quote Originally Posted by Twotonsteak View Post
    1. The most powerful individual in the world? I think you'll find a LOT of countries that don't agree with that. Sort of reminds me of something George Carlin said, that we're one of the most obnoxious countries in the world because we're the only one running around screaming how great we are.
    I certainly wasn't claiming American superiority or anything, but the President of the US is objectively the head of the most powerful military in the world, and has veto power in the government that controls the largest single economy in the world. That's more power than any other single individual I can think of. It has nothing to do with ego or nationalism. It's simply a fact.

    2. I was under the impression that the "State of the Union" speech was designed for the President to set out his plans?

    Pretty sure Monday was a lot of wasted money for someone who isn't happy unless he's on TV every other day or so.
    The state of the union is a review session and plan for the coming year. The inauguration gives the president a chance to set agenda for the full term.

    And pretty sure Monday was a tradition we've had in this country for a long long time now, and has nothing to do with this particular president's ego.
    Well 1, 2, 3, take my hand and come with me
    Because you look so fine
    And I really wanna make you mine

  16. #96
    The Insane Wildtree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Iowa - Franconia
    Posts
    17,034
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Those are tickets to the balls after the inauguration.
    Yes, I get that too. And all the money from those tickets were to cover the entire bill, which - as you said, didn't cost the tax payer. No tax money has been wasted.
    There have been events already on Sunday night with concerts. Those - I assume - weren't free either. But the artists performed for no charge, if I remember correctly what I read in the weeks before the events.
    All in all, I think it's fine to have such event. The only thing I disliked - but I understand that this is a totally personal thing - have been the military parades. I hate that kind of celebration. Leaves a bad taste in my mouth.. Totalitarian regimes resort to such parades to celebrate their own power ego.

  17. #97
    has veto power in the government that controls the largest single economy in the world
    * so long as the Congress doesn't overrule him


    I'm just wondering how much of it he actually meant, and whether he is already planning his compromise deal for April when the deferred debt ceiling negotiations are to take place.
    Intel i5 2500K (4.5 GHz) | Asus Z77 Sabertooth | 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600MHz | Gigabyte Windforcex3 HD 7950 | Crucial M4 128GB | Crucial M550 256GB | Asus Xonar DGX | Samson SR 850 | Zalman ZM-Mic1 | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Fractal Design Arc Midi | Corsair HX650

    Tanking with the Blessing of Kings - The TankSpot Guide to the Protection Paladin - Updated for Patch 5.4!

  18. #98
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    The state of the union is a review session and plan for the coming year. The inauguration gives the president a chance to set agenda for the full term.

    And pretty sure Monday was a tradition we've had in this country for a long long time now, and has nothing to do with this particular president's ego.
    It's supposed to be on the 20th of January (20ths Amendment) which is why he was sworn in Sunday, but it was moved to Monday for reasons I've yet to read/hear about.

  19. #99
    The Insane Reeve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX USA
    Posts
    18,848
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Yes, I get that too. And all the money from those tickets were to cover the entire bill, which - as you said, didn't cost the tax payer. No tax money has been wasted.
    There have been events already on Sunday night with concerts. Those - I assume - weren't free either. But the artists performed for no charge, if I remember correctly what I read in the weeks before the events.
    All in all, I think it's fine to have such event. The only thing I disliked - but I understand that this is a totally personal thing - have been the military parades. I hate that kind of celebration. Leaves a bad taste in my mouth.. Totalitarian regimes resort to such parades to celebrate their own power ego.
    Eh, I think in a relatively free country like the US, it's nice to celebrate the service of our military men and women. I have no problem with military parades.

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-22 at 05:17 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    It's supposed to be on the 20th of January (20ths Amendment) which is why he was sworn in Sunday, but it was moved to Monday for reasons I've yet to read/hear about.
    Probably has something to do with MLK day, and MLK being famous for his Washington Mall address (on the opposite side of the Washington Memorial, but still). Marketing.
    Well 1, 2, 3, take my hand and come with me
    Because you look so fine
    And I really wanna make you mine

  20. #100
    Immortal mistuhbull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Quel'Thalas
    Posts
    7,045
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    I certainly wasn't claiming American superiority or anything, but the President of the US is objectively the head of the most powerful military in the world, and has veto power in the government that controls the largest single economy in the world. That's more power than any other single individual I can think of. It has nothing to do with ego or nationalism. It's simply a fact.



    The state of the union is a review session and plan for the coming year. The inauguration gives the president a chance to set agenda for the full term.

    And pretty sure Monday was a tradition we've had in this country for a long long time now, and has nothing to do with this particular president's ego.
    IIRC the last time the 20th of an Inauguration year fell on a sunday was Reagan's, where the big ceremony was pushed to Monday
    Theron/Bloodwatcher 2013!

    Quote Originally Posted by Alsompr View Post
    Teasing, misdirection. It's the opposite of a spoiler. People expect one thing? BAM! Another thing happens.

    I'm like M. Night fucking Shamylan.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •