Chimaera pet for AoE?

So I can't find any reliable information for if I should be using a chimaera pet for AoE fights such as wind lord. What I'm wondering is, is it worth using a chimaera for the AoE channel attack over say a pet with Roar of courage ( 3,000 mastery for 1 minute)?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikemo View Post
    So I can't find any reliable information for if I should be using a chimaera pet for AoE fights such as wind lord. What I'm wondering is, is it worth using a chimaera for the AoE channel attack over say a pet with Roar of courage ( 3,000 mastery for 1 minute)?
    If you have someone else providing the buff, then yes. Obviously. If not, no - as it'll be a small bit of personal damage vs. mastery for the entire raid.

Go SV for it.

If it's heroic and you're going BM and you don't have a pally or shaman in the group, then go with a spirit beast or cat. That buff is pretty big for a lot of classes. And if you do have a pally/shaman in the group, then the buff is covered. In which case, go with a worm. The burrow attack is MUCH better than the chimaera breath. It hits harder and it doesn't have a positional requirement. You'd be stuck playing around with your chimaera's positioning the whole aoe portion of the fight, trying to hit all the targets.

i will chose worm, but to be honest, go sv and toth (its pretty much always up...)

Pet AoE's might be worth it during non-Recklessness periods, but not during Recklessness. As the entire basis for BM AoE being worthwhile on that fight is the fact that Beast Cleave is amplified by the pets melee attacks hitting a primary target that is taking a massive % increase in damage, and that amplified attack is spread. Something like burrow attack would just do the increased damage to the primary target, and normal damage to everything else. Of course I'm sort of talking heroic mode here, but it would apply to normal mode as well, probably as early as just the first pack of adds dying.

You can see the effect very clearly here:

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/u...ness%22&page=1

As far as heroic mode goes, for progression you really should probably be SV. BM's AoE excels on WL Heroic when it is less needed - during Recklessness (which is when, if you're not just doing the fight for ranks and are actually progressing, is when most of the focus would be on burning Mel'jarak) - but SV's AoE never really loses power, it's roughly the same (fairly strong) during both recklessness and no recklessness.

Basically that funky behavior with Beast Cleave is the only reason why BM looks competitive on ranks for that fight. If it were a "normal" heavy AoE fight, SV would win hands down.
    Last edited by Spiralphoenix; 2013-01-21 at 09:41 PM.