Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1
    Stood in the Fire
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    437

    Random question: Why didn't they update Silithus?

    I know this doesn't really matter at this point, but I always found it curious: why did they never update silithus or revamp the quests? It's always been considered one of the worst zones in the game, despite its unique atmoshpere, lore and monsters. It seems a waste and is very out of place to see all the npcs act as though his is patch 1.8 and c'thun is still getting a suntan in Ahn'Qiraj. The reason I'm baffled at why this place didn't get a makeover is because it was basically the capitol of the twilight's hammer and is heavily tied to the old gods. Since the hammer was arguably the main enemy n the game, I wonder what Blizzard was thinking when they decided not to touch upon this region AT ALL.

    Now I've been hearing rumours and seeing videos of some....odd, albeit unfinished quests there in the public test realms, and it makes me wonder if we're finally going to see some new content there. What do you guys think? Why do you think Blizzard ignored this zone in Cataclysm and what do you think is going to happen to it in Mists?

  2. #2
    Immortal mistuhbull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Quel'Thalas
    Posts
    7,045
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotrip View Post
    I know this doesn't really matter at this point, but I always found it curious: why did they never update silithus or revamp the quests? It's always been considered one of the worst zones in the game, despite its unique atmoshpere, lore and monsters. It seems a waste and is very out of place to see all the npcs act as though his is patch 1.8 and c'thun is still getting a suntan in Ahn'Qiraj. The reason I'm baffled at why this place didn't get a makeover is because it was basically the capitol of the twilight's hammer and is heavily tied to the old gods. Since the hammer was arguably the main enemy n the game, I wonder what Blizzard was thinking when they decided not to touch upon this region AT ALL.

    Now I've been hearing rumours and seeing videos of some....odd, albeit unfinished quests there in the public test realms, and it makes me wonder if we're finally going to see some new content there. What do you guys think? Why do you think Blizzard ignored this zone in Cataclysm and what do you think is going to happen to it in Mists?
    Why didn't they update the quests in Dustwallow? 6 years later and we're still trying to figure out who burned down the Shady Rest Inn.

    Blizz got lazy halfway through the revamp
    Theron/Bloodwatcher 2013!

    Quote Originally Posted by Alsompr View Post
    Teasing, misdirection. It's the opposite of a spoiler. People expect one thing? BAM! Another thing happens.

    I'm like M. Night fucking Shamylan.

  3. #3
    Fluffy Kitten Rivin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Washington, USA
    Posts
    13,628
    The speculation at the time was that Blizzard planned to revamp Ahn'Qiraj as new five-mans or a new raid, and the update to Silithus would come with it. Obviously that didn't happen (or hasn't happened yet), so who knows?

    Quote Originally Posted by mistuhbull View Post
    Why didn't they update the quests in Dustwallow? 6 years later and we're still trying to figure out who burned down the Shady Rest Inn.
    Er? That questline solved the mystery itself. The Grimtotem did it. Also Blizzard didn't update Dustwallow because they revamped it in 2.3.

  4. #4
    I suspect they tried, but had to call it off because the update was bugged.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "Almost every time I have gotten to know a critic personally, they keep up with the criticism but lose the venom." -- Ghostcrawler

  5. #5
    I wanna say on the MoP Beta or a 4.x patch ptr they had new updated quests in Sililthus, one being a chain where a dream sequence takes place to show you Silithus as if C'thun won and took over. The quest showed C'thun's eye over the Cenarion Hold and all the npcs had eyeball things on their heads. That was scrapped as far as I remember.
    "May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce"

  6. #6
    Immortal mistuhbull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Quel'Thalas
    Posts
    7,045
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivin View Post
    The speculation at the time was that Blizzard planned to revamp Ahn'Qiraj as new five-mans or a new raid, and the update to Silithus would come with it. Obviously that didn't happen (or hasn't happened yet), so who knows?



    Er? That questline solved the mystery itself. The Grimtotem did it. Also Blizzard didn't update Dustwallow because they revamped it in 2.3.
    ahem: http://www.wowhead.com/quest=27249

    They visually updated Dustwallow, but they didn't bring its story up past the Cataclysm (aside from the highway)
    Theron/Bloodwatcher 2013!

    Quote Originally Posted by Alsompr View Post
    Teasing, misdirection. It's the opposite of a spoiler. People expect one thing? BAM! Another thing happens.

    I'm like M. Night fucking Shamylan.

  7. #7
    It seems that any zone that received any sort of revamp before Cata was not revamped during cata.

    Silithus was revamped in classic. Dustwallow was revamped at some point too.

    If you went to Silithus before it's revamp, you will know how much better it was afterwards... there was like nothing to do there.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by mistuhbull View Post
    ahem: http://www.wowhead.com/quest=27249

    They visually updated Dustwallow, but they didn't bring its story up past the Cataclysm (aside from the highway)
    The whole Shady Rest Inn quest chain was updated in mid-late BC. Before that it ended after looking at the ruins, saying they'd call upon you if anything came up, leading to an incomplete questline. They kept the questline in just like they did a lot of quests in different zones, because it was a major quest line. I for one love Smiling Jim and glad they kept it in.
    "May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce"

  9. #9
    Fluffy Kitten Rivin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Washington, USA
    Posts
    13,628
    Quote Originally Posted by mistuhbull View Post
    ahem: http://www.wowhead.com/quest=27249

    They visually updated Dustwallow, but they didn't bring its story up past the Cataclysm (aside from the highway)
    Yes, that quest. If you continue it you track down the Grimtotem and...well, kill them all. :D

    I'm just saying...they didn't update it because it had already been totally revamped once. It didn't really need it.

  10. #10
    The Insane Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Twitch & Youtube
    Posts
    18,948
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivin View Post
    The speculation at the time was that Blizzard planned to revamp Ahn'Qiraj as new five-mans or a new raid, and the update to Silithus would come with it. Obviously that didn't happen (or hasn't happened yet), so who knows?



    Er? That questline solved the mystery itself. The Grimtotem did it. Also Blizzard didn't update Dustwallow because they revamped it in 2.3.
    And plan to update it sometime during MoP so everyone has the ruined Theramore. Probably by replacing it with Dalaran.
    "You should only install Warlords on your master hard drive. They will never be slaves." - @CM_Lore


  11. #11
    Immortal mistuhbull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Quel'Thalas
    Posts
    7,045
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivin View Post
    Yes, that quest. If you continue it you track down the Grimtotem and...well, kill them all. :D

    I'm just saying...they didn't update it because it had already been totally revamped once. It didn't really need it.
    but we did that 6 years ago...why are we still doing it.

    Just like why are the Stonemaul still trying to reclaim their lands from Onyxia, we've done that already.

    Dustwallow wasn't updated, it had a shiny new road built and that's it. It makes no sense in the story or timeline anymore for no reason
    Theron/Bloodwatcher 2013!

    Quote Originally Posted by Alsompr View Post
    Teasing, misdirection. It's the opposite of a spoiler. People expect one thing? BAM! Another thing happens.

    I'm like M. Night fucking Shamylan.

  12. #12
    Dreadlord MetalheroDamien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Where ever I am, there I am.
    Posts
    807
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    I suspect they tried, but had to call it off because the update was bugged.
    Worst pun ever? Or best? YOU DECIDE!

    OT: I remember in the Cata PTR there was some new stuff in Silithus, but they never got added into the game. Probably due to some sort of programming problem. Any bugs were intentional :P
    Nostalgia is the hollow remnants of memories long gone.

    -Kaito Kumon (Kamen Rider Baron)

  13. #13
    Fluffy Kitten Rivin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Washington, USA
    Posts
    13,628
    Quote Originally Posted by mistuhbull View Post
    but we did that 6 years ago...why are we still doing it.

    Just like why are the Stonemaul still trying to reclaim their lands from Onyxia, we've done that already.

    Dustwallow wasn't updated, it had a shiny new road built and that's it. It makes no sense in the story or timeline anymore for no reason
    A lot of Classic's quests were preserved in the Cataclysm update. As long as it doesn't cause a time squiggle that part doesn't matter.

    I'm not saying Dustwallow couldn't have been updated, but its story was pretty much all self-contained, and none of it was time-sensitive, so given that it had been revamped before an update wasn't really necessary.

  14. #14
    ^ Arathi has as far as I am aware never been updated. The questing has been streamlined and the Horde got a new base, but that's about it.

  15. #15
    Dustwallow was one of the few old zones that got a pretty major revamp before Cata. All that Goblin stuff came way before Cata, back in BC, and as far as I can remember Blizzard mentioned that update as part of the reason why they hadn't worried about updating it again compared to other zones. Same thing for Silithus, though I never played the not-updated Silithus so I can't speak for how it was before its update.
    The only zone I really have no idea as to why they didn't update it at all is Arathi Highlands, which as far as I know has never received a pre-Cata update, and even with Cata all they really did was removed and shuffle around some quests, not really improve anything.

  16. #16
    Blzzard sat down at the start and had a map of ever zone in the game which they rated on a scale for what needed to be changed the most.

    At the end of the day, Silithus just got left out because they had more ambitious ideas for other zones which hogged the dev time. It's got nothing to do with "getting lazy in the middle" of the project.

    Blizzard has tunnel vision when they have a neat idea they want to see happen. Rather than spread out their efforts equally in some list they have to slog through, they work on what makes them passionate at the moment. This leaves holes, but it makes the content we do get arguably better.

    Silithus however was a perfect place for Cataclysm lore and it's a very strange place to leave untouched story wise.

    BuT they did make the AQ raid map a part of the world, which was harder to do than just copy and paste the places together. That's probably what robbed most of the developer resources allotted.
    If you like my draw-rings. http://yig.deviantart.com/
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotrip View Post
    I know this doesn't really matter at this point, but I always found it curious: why did they never update silithus or revamp the quests? It's always been considered one of the worst zones in the game, despite its unique atmoshpere, lore and monsters. It seems a waste and is very out of place to see all the npcs act as though his is patch 1.8 and c'thun is still getting a suntan in Ahn'Qiraj. The reason I'm baffled at why this place didn't get a makeover is because it was basically the capitol of the twilight's hammer and is heavily tied to the old gods. Since the hammer was arguably the main enemy n the game, I wonder what Blizzard was thinking when they decided not to touch upon this region AT ALL.

    Now I've been hearing rumours and seeing videos of some....odd, albeit unfinished quests there in the public test realms, and it makes me wonder if we're finally going to see some new content there. What do you guys think? Why do you think Blizzard ignored this zone in Cataclysm and what do you think is going to happen to it in Mists?
    Because its perfect the way it is.

  18. #18
    Mechagnome Jataai's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    United Kingdom, Devon.
    Posts
    500
    Because they didn't want to turn that god awful zone into something fun, they want us to embrace the anger.

  19. #19
    Epic! Duncanîdaho's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,644
    It would have been cool to see it revamped with Cata lore since it would of fit in so well since it was a Twilight's hammer dominated zone.

    On the other hand it probably would of just been like the twilight highlands quests but in Ulduum like terrain instead. In the long run I don't really think we missed out on much by them not revamping it, they wrapped up things pretty nicely back then and gave us twilight highlands in Cata at 85 instead. The Cultists serve Deathwing and N'zoth now anyway not C'thun anymore so they really had no reason to go back there. It is a long way from the twilight highlands, their main base of operations.
    The generalist looks outward; he looks for living principles, knowing full well that such principles change, that they develop. It is to the characteristics of change itself that the mentat-generalist must look. There can be no permanent catalogue of such change, no handbook or manual. You must look at it with as few preconceptions as possible, asking yourself, "Now what is this thing doing?" -Children of Dune

  20. #20
    I'd like to think the reason they didn't revamp Silithus is because they're saving it for later, for something bigger. Same with Dustwallow Marsh and Arathi Highlands - Blizzard probably have plans for both of those zones and didn't want to spend time revamping them only to have to revamp them again later on.

    Maybe they didn't want to have such dire plots so deeply tied into the expansion's storyline at such a low level? Or maybe they felt that the Qiraji/Silithid'C'thun were too important to just squeeze into Cataclysm as a minor sub plot.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •