• No, I don't heal pets, it's the pet class's job to keep them up

148 19.47%
  • No, I don't even have pets on my bars

288 37.89%
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kezotar View Post
    Well then expect to lose a good darn 5% crit, mastery or w/e the pet has to offer because you couldn't waste 1% mana throughout the whole raid encounter to keep him up. Basically you just made your group lose loads of DPS.
    See, while this would be true if the hunter/lock had absolutely no convenient way to keep the pet alive, this simply isn't the case. The only way for your scenario to be applicable is if the hunter/lock is for some reason totally incapable of using these abilities, in which case they would be expected to step it up, not give homework to the healers.
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    Their job to pay attention to their pet. If they don't want to deal with managing a pet they need to reroll. On a side note as a tank I always let pets die if they have growl/threatening presence on, there are few things more annoying than those pets in randoms.
    Usually I warn them to take it off, and when they don't listen, I let it die and smile when they start crying over my "bad tanking". As a healer, I have more important things to worry about than keeping their pet alive. They should learn to manage it.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you aren't helping keeping pets alive then you aren't doing all you can for your party and should be replaced. Sure they aren't going to get priority over players but they sure as hell need to be kept alive since in 10man (Which i guess you are) they are important for your raids dps. They take 90% reduced damage from 95% of things that happen to them so its sure as hell not a hard job. Most hunters raid as BM now so do you realy want to completely fuck over one of your dps? no
    Aye mate

You don't need to heal the pets. Generally some "smart" heals go to them anyway. Also it's better to let a pet die rather than a dps. Also my pet doesn't really take any raid damage and if it dies it's because the tank couldn't grab aggro for some reason.

What specific scenario are you talking about OP? Just wondering.

Signature by Geekissexy Check out her Deviantart

Not only do I heal pets, but I'll brez them too in LFR (guildies only) typically because they out-dps most of the mouthbreathers I encounter. IMO, brez in LFR should only be used on pets. If the tank dies, we should just wipe.

Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
    If you aren't helping keeping pets alive then you aren't doing all you can for your party and should be replaced. Sure they aren't going to get priority over players but they sure as hell need to be kept alive since in 10man (Which i guess you are) they are important for your raids dps. They take 90% reduced damage from 95% of things that happen to them so its sure as hell not a hard job. Most hunters raid as BM now so do you realy want to completely fuck over one of your dps? no
    It's a two-way street. If the pet is taking so much damage that the healer needs to help heal the pets, then the hunters are doing something wrong. Under normal circumstances the occasional smart heal and mend pet should be more than enough. If your healers have to be throwing direct heals at a pet something else is going on that needs to be looked at.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    If a hunter/lock/whatever notices his pet's health is low, it's also his job to sacrifice a little DPS to keep the pet up for the greater good. The healer's mana is limited and should always be reserved for the people who can't keep themselves alive, even if mana is a non-issue. The pets, however HAVE the ability to be kept alive by the very classes that control them, making it a class mechanic.

Use your class mechanics and do your job.
    and what if he doesnt notice that his pet's health is low and the pet dies ? is that when we start pointing fingers ?

This is not about who's job it is to do whatever. When u raid with someone, u do your best to keep the raid going well.

If you could have prevented a disaster, would you not have done it even if it wasnt your duty ?

also this
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoonalol View Post
    wat are the 2 gob mounts.. i only know the trike

10+ Year Old Account
    In no way, shape, or form is a pet dying the fault of the healer in the group. Have you played a hunter recently? Their pet healing is absolutely insane and completely boosted by glyphs. If a pet dies, its because the hunter in question wasn't paying attention. Simple as that. No one's saying a healer is wrong for tossing a heal on a pet now and then, but it sure as hell isn't their job. Read my above two posts for some actual logic behind the matter, rather than dickbashing over meaningless opinions.

---------- Post added 2013-01-21 at 03:16 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Mexa View Post
    and what if he doesnt notice that his pet's health is low and the pet dies ? [/URL]
    Then the hunter fucked up. How is that up for debate?

In general, if a pet dies for a reason other than having taunt (mistakenly) turned on, it's a bug in WoW. There's enough healing built in to pet class mechanics to keep the pet alive given the built-in 90% AoE immunity and leftovers from party AoE and smart heals.

Or of course there could be a bug that is causing the pet to taunt incorrectly.

As a healer I don't mind healing pets although if it's a 5-man, I'll let the pet go down if it's got aggro in a situation where it shouldn't.

10+ Year Old Account
    WOW.... so many horrible healers in this thread. Sure as hell glad i don't raid with any of you. If healing a pet is such a big deal maybe you should stop raiding.
    Aye mate

Healing a pet should only be happening pvp wise. Pve wise it's just a waste of mana.

10+ Year Old Account
    WOW.... so many horrible healers in this thread. Sure as hell glad i don't raid with any of you. If healing a pet is such a big deal maybe you should stop raiding.
    Congratulation on ignoring every single logical point, failing to offer your own, then turning around like a cornered animal and resorting to insults. Many of us here are actually offering counter arguments, reasoning and logic behind out standpoints. You're name calling and pointing fingers. Where'd that come from?

That feeling is mutual if you think hunters aren't in any way shape or form responsible for keeping their pets alive. I don't want to raid with you if the entirety of healing responsibility is hauled on the healer's shoulders. The hunters have the tools, they should use them. It's not as if I'm going to flat out refuse to heal a pet if I have NOTHING else to heal and I'm certain I wont' need that mana for a player in the next couple seconds, but if you're outright expecting that the healer is watching and waiting to heal a pet, you need to get your priorities checked.

I don't see how you guy's are arguing over this, my pet literally takes no damage throughout all the raids in t15. The only time my pet has ever died was on imperial vizier zor'lok and stone guard because the tank couldn't hold aggro for some reason, but that is instakill and on zor'lok I put him on passive on that fight just so he's not in his melee range.

I'm going to look at my logs and tell you guys how much damage my pet is taking because it is really close to 0.

Signature by Geekissexy Check out her Deviantart

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Then the hunter fucked up. How is that up for debate?
    just gonna reply to this by quoting the same post you quoted.

If you could have prevented a disaster, would you not have done it even if it wasnt your duty ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoonalol View Post
    wat are the 2 gob mounts.. i only know the trike

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tehstool View Post
    I don't see how you guy's are arguing over this, my pet literally takes no damage throughout all the raids in t15. The only time my pet has ever died was on imperial vizier zor'lok and stone guard because the tank couldn't hold aggro for some reason, but that is instakill and on zor'lok I put him on passive on that fight just so he's not in his melee range.

I'm going to look at my logs and tell you guys how much damage my pet is taking because it is really close to 0.
    Trust me, we know this. I have no idea why some of these people are choosing to completely ignore this fact AND the fact that we've actually tried to remind them of it several times. It's getting a little weird at this point.

---------- Post added 2013-01-21 at 03:24 PM ----------

just gonna reply to this by quoting the same post you quoted.
    That's how we're going to do this? Have fun:

If a pet dies, its because the hunter in question wasn't paying attention. Simple as that. No one's saying a healer is wrong for tossing a heal on a pet now and then, but it sure as hell isn't their job. .

The point is in every raid I have ever done I have never had to heal a pet at all ever. Now if someone came along and suddenly thier pet was constantly dead all the time, I would wonder what the difference was. Horrible healer or not, I will not use my mana or my time to target a pet and cast anything on it at all. If that pet dies then it does. Out of all the times I can think of if that pet is dying I can only imagine what shape the rest of the raid is in and what as a healer I should be doing besides trying to cast a heal on a pet.

I am a hunter. I have been a hunter since Classic.

Unless the pet is tanking for a legitimate reason, it shouldn't be taking enough damage to be dying in the first place. My pet never dies in raids unless I am doing something wrong, even without my using Mend Pet, because they should not be targeted by single-target abilities over players, and they take very little AoE damage. They receive incidental healing from my raid's AoE healing and require no special attention.

The only times I can think of where I have had a problem with my pet dying on a raid encounter, recently, is if he runs into the range of the boss before the tank on Elegon and Zor'lok, and that should only happen when I forget to put him briefly on Passive during the transitions so that the tank can get there first. I also remember having some issues with pet death on Hagara back in Dragon Soul, but only when I neglected to put my pet on Passive during the lightning phases.

There should be very, very few situations where a hunter or warlock cannot, through proper pet management, prevent their pet from dying with no outside input.

In 5 mans, an argument can be made for healing the pet as a lowest-priority target, simply because mechanics can be a bit more finicky, Mend Pet heals for a pittance if it's unglyphed, and there's often not a lot else to do.

It is worth noting that Mend Pet sucks if it's unglyphed, and there are often better hunter glyphs for group PvE, so don't expect Mend to take care of all incoming pet damage if the pet is tanking or something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sure, why not, if you have nothing else to heal.

I do not care for pets when I heal, they're not my responsability. Their masters are!
    Spotify - Hardstyle | Hardcore