• Yes, I heal pets, but only as the lowest priority

303 39.87%
  • No, I don't heal pets, it's the pet class's job to keep them up

148 19.47%
  • No, I don't even have pets on my bars

288 37.89%
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    You are looking at it wrong. Your job is to be a teammember and focus on having an efficient team instead of saying "this is your job" or "this is my job".

To be efficient your first priority is to keep players alive. If those players are safe you can heal pets to keep raid dps as high as possible etc.

The other players should do the same and then this is not an issue anymore. When you start saying "only this is my job" then you suck just as much as the players with pets who assume you are going to heal their pets.
    Last edited by Gilian; 2013-01-22 at 10:29 AM.

[QUOTE=
    Funny, how people say ALL pet classes have heals for the pets..
    - How does a frost mage heal his elemental? Oh yeah, HE CAN'T..
    - How does a warlock heal his minion? Small passive healing, since Health Funnel was removed. And with Soul Link reducing the minions health by 50%, it's in a REAL danger of dying..
    - Unholy DKs, can indeed heal Timmy, however, it's at a HUGE sacrifice of DPS, as he doesn't build stacks, when DCing Timmy.
    - Hunters can't counter a sigle DoT on his pet, if Mend Pet is unglyphed, and since there are more important glyphs than MP, (virtually) noone use it for raiding..[/QUOTE]

for a start frost mages get passive healing for a % of dmg they do with frost bolt lock minnions are used unless ur playong demo these days and if ur playing demo no need to heal them and they dont die UH DK's at a dps loss can heal there and and he does still gain stacks...

I wont heal pets in 5 mans, not even on my bars and I don't in raids unless the raid leader tells me specifically that its needed in some situation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Absolutely, positively NO.

Rule of Thumb: If the healer's HPS is higher than your DPS, you're doing it wrong.

Deleted
    If you have nothing to do yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilian View Post
    The other players should do the same and then this is not an issue anymore. When you start saying "only this is my job" then you suck just as much as the players with pets who assume you are going to heal their pets.
    Actually you're quite wrong. I'm within my rights to expect the pet classes to play efficiently. If they play efficiently then there would never be any reason to heal a pet directly. Just like I expect dps NOT to stand in fire for 10 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by Valyk View Post
    This sparked a surprising amount of guild drama and I wanted to ask a bigger audience -- Is it a healer's job to heal pets, or is it a Hunter/Warlock's job to keep their own pets alive?
    I'm assuming you mean in a raid situation as you refer to guild drama. In that case: No pet should ever receive targeted healing.

This is from a competitive raiding view, if you raid more casual, heavily outgear the content and feel like compensating for a lack of pet-skills on behalve of your raidmembers: Go ahead.

The "why" is pretty simple:
    - Pets barely take any damage
    - Most pet classes can heal their pets if really needed
    - Those heals shouldn't be needed as AOE healing also targets pets if they dip low, healing whatever little damage they take.

Pets are only at risk of dieing if their owners aren't controlling them properly, the amount of mechanics to which a pet can actually die can be counted on one hand. I raid with a random combination of 2 hunters, 2 warlocks, 2 mages and 2 DK's in my 10m team (not all at once, obviously) and none of them have ever complained about their pets dieing due to lack of healing, nor do their pets tend to die in general.

Deleted
    As a Hunter I would say it's mainly the person who owns the pet who needs to take care of it.

But there could always be a special case where things aren't as black and white, elite Protectors is a shining example. The giant AoE from Protector Kaolan constantly deals moderate damage that tends to eat away a pet's health pretty quickly. It's not like it's impossible for the Hunter to manage, but that part of the fight is very chaotic and it's easy to overlook your over confident little pet wolf Fleabags eating the ticks of damage. One Mend Pet every 15-20 seconds should easily keep the canine alive but at the same time this is a very heavy burn phase where the Hunter is doing a million other things. I don't see why if a healer has nothing to do, can't throw a quick HoT on the pet and make the Hunter's life so much easier. If the pet dies however it's the Hunter's fault, as he is not doing his job properly.

No, it's not the healer's ''job''. But you, as well as the DPSers and tanks are all there to kill a boss. What matters is the boss dying, not just doing your own job. You should be doing everything you can to make each others life easier.

EDIT:
    About Callypso's post above mine, very well said. The Protector Kaolan example I gave is something you might want to watch out for however, as it costs the Death Knight and Warlock quite a bit of DPS to keep their pets alive. It's not that big of a deal for Hunters as mend pet only costs a global cooldown and is completely free. But pets will die if unattended and especially Unholy Death Knights need to sacrifice a lot of DPS to keep their ghoul alive there.
    Last edited by mmoc973e6c390d; 2013-01-22 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Fixed typos.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think pets are a healers last priority for healing.
    First selfheal, then tank, then other healers, then dps-classes, last pets.

15+ Year Old Account
    Hunter here.

We can manage our pets just fine so long as we're not being dumb with them.

Most of the time they just get passively healed by AoEs and smart-heals - the massive damage redux from AoE means they're rarely in any form of danger that requires an immediate top-up (and when that happens, it's Mend Pet time).

I would never ask a healer to waste their mana on something I can (and am supposed to) do myself.

---------- Post added 2013-01-22 at 10:53 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Bovan View Post
    It's not that big of a deal for Hunters as mend pet only costs a global cooldown and is completely free
    Just a pedantic point of clarification - Mend Pet nets an extended 1.5sec GCD for some reason. It's really not that much, but that extra 0.5sec always feels like an eternity XD
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Deleted
    Depends, if they are healing their own pets but it isn't enough to keep them alive then yes. But your healing is second in priority.

Quote Originally Posted by Marfrilau View Post
    Actually you're quite wrong. I'm within my rights to expect the pet classes to play efficiently. If they play efficiently then there would never be any reason to heal a pet directly. Just like I expect dps NOT to stand in fire for 10 seconds.
    That's what I said. If everyone plays like a TEAMMEMBER these things are not an issue at all. Yet people constantly say "that's not my job" like they are expecting that no one is ever going to make a mistake and like they know every detail of every class and of the whole game and what can happen in any situation.

Saying you shouldn't heal pets because that is not your job is like me saying that I should never use Fade on my shadow priest because it is not my job to control my threat. It's the tanks job to hold agro.
    It's the same as someone saying you should heal their pets because you are the healer so that is your job.

I guess it's the LFD/LFR community who only thinks like that instead of thinking as a team.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikkaszal View Post
    Just a pedantic point of clarification - Mend Pet nets an extended 1.5sec GCD for some reason. It's really not that much, but that extra 0.5sec always feels like an eternity XD
    A global cooldown wasted on mend pet feels like an eternity regardless. Pressing buttons that hinder your DPS (yea yea pet dying is a bigger loss, I know) are never fun to press.

I heard the 0.5 second longer global has been fixed in 5.2. Can't confirm it as I can't access the PTR but that's something to look forward to

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeror View Post
    I think pets are a healers last priority for healing.
    First selfheal, then tank, then other healers, then dps-classes, last pets.
    If every healer thinks like you do than the raid wouldn't last long.

If the real tank dies, sure.
    If everyone is full and my mana allows it, sure.
    Other than that, the owner of the pet can easy keep an eye on their own PIC.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post

No, thats the priority.

Self heal, as you cant heal if dead!
    Tanks, self evident!
    Other healers, healers dying is more likely to result in wipes than dps, obviously it takes a judgement due to ability to self heal, but if another healer gets low, help them out.
    Dps, well, you have to do something when the above dont need heals!
    Pets.....no, should never need direct heals. Save your mana.

Of course healing is basically a constant priority shift, you continually assess rate of change on bars and make split second (or not so split second anymore!) decisions on who is most important to drop a heal on. Its got on some progression fights where I've been mentally ranking dps according to dmg done and ability to avoid incomming dmg, and stopping healing the bottom of the list due to mana or capacity concerns!

my wild growth will keep saving pets regardless i want it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    Care to explain what's so wrong with this?

---------- Post added 2013-01-22 at 11:10 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by tlacoatl View Post
    No, thats the priority.

Self heal, as you cant heal if dead!
    Tanks, self evident!
    Other healers, healers dying is more likely to result in wipes than dps, obviously it takes a judgement due to ability to self heal, but if another healer gets low, help them out.
    Dps, well, you have to do something when the above dont need heals!
    Pets.....no, should never need direct heals. Save your mana.
    Thanks for saving me the time to write this out

Deleted
    Depends. If you can spare the mana, and no player will drop low while doing so, why not. In general though, hunter pets take like no damage, except on "bugged" mechanics which deal full aoe damage to pets.

EDIT: Bugged abilities refer to abilities like the parasite on madness heroic.
    Last edited by mmoc130aeee1c6; 2013-01-22 at 11:14 AM.

If a pet's standing in my healing rain then yes. If not; then no, never.