Deleted

Video issue with replaced components - no picture with gfx card

Solved. For future reference:

It was a driver issue. By setting the GPU priority in BIOS to use on-board video instead of PCI-E, even if there's a pci-e card in there, I was able to install the OS. Once in the OS, it was easy to install the proper drivers for the radeon card. After reverting the BIOS settings, I was able to boot up using my graphics card in the new setup.

Thanks for all the replies everyone. Guess I kind of threw you guys off by suspecting my PSU, which turned out to be more than capable of powering the system under a high load.

-------------------------------------------------
    Original question:

Hi all,

Some time ago my graphics card died, and I got a fairly low budget new one. An asus radeon hd 6670. This ran stable in my old setup (asus p5ld2 mobo, some old intel c2d 2.4ghz). Having got that, I figured I might as well give my computer a little make-over and refresh a few parts. To start it off, I bought:

• Mobo: Asrock B75 Pro3-M (Micro atx)
    • CPU: Intel Core i3 2130 (S1155)
    • Corsair 8GB DDR3 memory (1 stick)
    • WD 500gig black series hdd, sata600 @ 7200rpm

After having set it all up, I found that I don't have the power supply connector to put in the 'ATX12V1' slot, an 8 pin slot. (2x4) If I leave it empty, it won't boot. If I put in the 4 pin connector (2x2) it boots up, seemingly fine.

Here's the tricky part. When I insert my graphics card (radeon 6670), I get no video. Not on the card itself, and not on the onboard video.

I'm somehow getting the feeling I might be underpowered, but I'm not sure and would rather know before spending a bunch of money on a PSU.

The used power supply is: X-Gear 450w unit. It's fairly old... like, at least six years old. I'm guessing thats the reason I dont have the (fancy) 8 pin connector.

Any feedback would be much appreciated! I'd hate to miss my raid night tomorrow night, or have to go back to my old crappy setup temporarily.

PS. I know the parts I bought should work fine together, as I followed one of the 'best buy guides' for one of the biggest dutch tech websites. (Tweakers)
    Last edited by mmoce04b469aa5; 2013-01-23 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Solved

The manual says it should work with a 4-pin connector as well. Make sure you plugged it in correctly. Have you tried starting the PC without the graphics card connected?

Deleted
    Off Topic comment, 1 stick on a dual channel motherboard isn't optimal but it will work.

I can't find the actual output of X-Gear 450w but imagine it's not a lot though it should still be enough. maybe it's worth investing in a new PSU? You can get an XFX 450W (Seasonic OEM)for around $40.

Deleted
    The Corsairs CX 430W 80plus Bronze is also a fine budget PSU and will power your system adequately. You should be able to find it for around $40. I've seen it for even less with rebates. If you can get it on sale, I would highly recommend it. This is assuming you're based in the US.

Deleted
    If they're similar priced I'd take a seasonic unit over a CWT unit any day but you're right it will technically work (as in enough power). Hopefully OP can fix the issue without a new PSU but honestly I'd still recommend switching it out.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16812201005
    Might also fix the issue right there

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by stalkerzzzz View Post
    The manual says it should work with a 4-pin connector as well. Make sure you plugged it in correctly. Have you tried starting the PC without the graphics card connected?
    Aye, if I take out the graphics card, it boots up fine. Thats why I thought it might be a power issue.

Since all you guys are recommending power supplies around 400-450w, shouldn't my 450w x-gear suffice? Or can the fact that it's real, real old have any effect on that?

I'm affraid I'll go out and spend 60-70 euro's and come home to find I still have the same issues. :-( (The 40$ price range sounds nice, but I was looking at similar power supplies that they showed in the guide I followed. That was a 520w (Antec HCG-520), which gave me the idea mine might not be enough. Those are about 70 euros)

I hardly have anything else connected to the mobo, apart from a harddrive and disk drive, so I'm really not sure where else to look. :-( Any more help would be immensely appreciated. I'm not a real rich guy, so the set I bought cost quite a lot for my standards.

PS. I'm based in Amsterdam, the Netherlands.

PS2: I tried both... but I have two PCI-Ex16 slots (1x 3.0, 1x 2.0). Doesn't matter which one I stick the card in, it still won't give any video. :-(
    Last edited by mmoce04b469aa5; 2013-01-22 at 06:53 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I believe the 12v also powers the PCI-E to some extent.

It's not that 450 isnt enough, it's that it doesn't have the proper outs for your system.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I believe the 12v also powers the PCI-E to some extent.

It's not that 450 isnt enough, it's that it doesn't have the proper outs for your system.
    Tyvm for your reply. Earlier in this thread, someone said that it says in the manual (maybe I shouldve read that...) that a 4pin connector would suffice. However, considering the other mentions of a power supply in this thread, I might just get up and buy a new one tonight.

Any other feedback is still appreciated folks, still semi worried that I'll spend even more money on this non-functional setup (as of now )

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd probably try the $5 fix first.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I'd probably try the $5 fix first.
    Got to the office at 07.00 so I had time left to get to the shops after. Hoping to get it sorted today, and I won't have time to make two trips to the shops. (I know, I shouldn't be this impatient, nasty character flaw..)

As a side note, does anyone know if it's possible that inserting a faulty graphics card makes the PC not boot up? (Even if I'm using on-board video when its plugged in.)

That's the only other reason I can come up with, that I somehow fried my graphics card while switching it over to this setup. I should just put it in a different pc and test it out, but again: Sort of pressed for time. Testing that + a trip to the shop isn't an option. My impatience, once again, works against me.

PS. Got into the bios just fine, and it shows my cpu/ram etc working seemingly fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's much more likely that inserting the video card automatically makes it use PCI-E, and without that connector, cannot work... As opposed to a bad card. But yes, a bad card can cause a system not to boot. However, again, it's more likely to be that connector.

Deleted
    Can't find anything online about the atx12volt connector also having anything to do with powering pci-e devices. Says it's solely for stabilizing the CPU at high loads.

However, since I'm running out of options, I'll go get a new power supply today and put it in. It almost -has- to be either the power supply, or the graphics card itself. If it's the card I'm screwed anyway, since I won't be able to afford a decent one. If the power-supply solution ends up failing, I'll update this post to see if I can get any other tips.

As a matter of fact, any other tips are still welcome. (Possibly out of the power scope.)

Nooby question: Do I pay attention to any other details apart from it having a decent power volume (450w+?) and the actual 8 pin 12v connector? (Ofc, low energy consumption is nice but not a massive priority atm)

Edit. After getting off the phone with the local pc shop to ask about PSU's, they pretty much convinced me that the chance of this being caused by the 12v connector is minimal. So... back to square 1.

Edit#2. Could it be that, since my hdd+cpu+mobo+ram is new, my computer simply doesn't recognize the PCIe card? I just got a tip of installing an OS with onboard video, and just running windows update to see if it'll 'fix' my graphics card. What is you guys' input on this idea?
    Last edited by mmoce04b469aa5; 2013-01-22 at 11:32 AM.