Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
2
3
4
5
6
LastLast
  1. #61
    The Lightbringer Grym's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Somewhere in UK where there is chicken
    Posts
    3,263
    Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post
    Side note. I am getting really tired of everyone and their STEM bullshit. STEM this STEM that...STEM or your degree is shit. I have a STEM degree STEM STEM STEM. BLAH.

    fine, you are good at math. The type of degree YOU have and OP looking for an entry level job are in no way related. Wait. OP having trouble getting a job? Go get a STEM degree!
    The problem is, the amount of unskilled workforce out there that is looking for work, is WAY high. While, jobs in the STEM category, likely to have slightly less of a competition (can still be rather high though). You can stay as an unskilled worker, and compete against God knows how many of them out there, or you can get some sort of STEM qualification, and lessen your competition by a ton, so it is a valid suggestion really, even though you might not like it.

  2. #62
    The Insane Reeve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX USA
    Posts
    18,848
    Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post
    i think that is completely different then flooding the job market trying to simply find a job. Apples to oranges if you will.

    Side note. I am getting really tired of everyone and their STEM bullshit. STEM this STEM that...STEM or your degree is shit. I have a STEM degree STEM STEM STEM. BLAH.

    fine, you are good at math. The type of degree YOU have and OP looking for an entry level job are in no way related. Wait. OP having trouble getting a job? Go get a STEM degree!
    You may be tired of it, but it doesn't make it any less true.
    Well 1, 2, 3, take my hand and come with me
    Because you look so fine
    And I really wanna make you mine

  3. #63
    depending on which kind of jobs you are looking for i would suggest to arrange a personal meeting. that would be way easier.

  4. #64
    Legendary! Reg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Manhattan
    Posts
    6,992
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    So I guess if you only stole or assaulted a co-worker one time, everything's cool!
    It's actually kind of funny you say this. There are certain companies (completely anecdotal evidence from people who I know who do hiring/firing) that have the assumption that everyone steals something from the company they work for. If they see someone put a 0, the get rid of the application because they take that as the person not being honest. It just strikes me as odd where a truly honest person who doesn't steal from their job could be potentially punished on a future application lol

  5. #65
    The Insane Reeve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX USA
    Posts
    18,848
    Quote Originally Posted by Regennis View Post
    It's actually kind of funny you say this. There are certain companies (completely anecdotal evidence from people who I know who do hiring/firing) that have the assumption that everyone steals something from the company they work for. If they see someone put a 0, the get rid of the application because they take that as the person not being honest. It just strikes me as odd where a truly honest person who doesn't steal from their job could be potentially punished on a future application lol
    Wow, I think the only thing I've ever stolen from a company I worked for was a ballpoint pen I forgot to take out of my pocket before going home.

    Honestly if a company didn't believe me when I said "0," I think that would be a clear indication that it wasn't the type of corporate culture I'd want to be working for.
    Last edited by Reeve; 2013-01-22 at 04:41 PM.
    Well 1, 2, 3, take my hand and come with me
    Because you look so fine
    And I really wanna make you mine

  6. #66
    Mechagnome Biggayshammy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    732
    Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    They actually do use the answers from the surveys to try to form a "psych profile" to see if you'd be a good employee. Some of the questions are just stupid and some of them are just obvious in what the correct answer should be.

    One was hilarious, had questions like:
    1) At your last job, how many times did you steal from your employer?
    a) 0-1 times
    b) 2-4 times
    c) 5-7 times
    d) 8 or more times.

    2) at your last job, how many times did you engage in physical violence towards a co-worker?
    a) 0-1 times
    b) 2-4 times
    c) 5-7 times
    d) 8 or more times.
    seriously.. ive never stolen from a job or got physically violent with someone so i answer 0-1 times. i had a interview at a place once who bluntly asked me if i lied about the questions. i laughed and asked them if they were serious... they were

  7. #67
    I am Murloc! breadisfunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    wisconsin
    Posts
    5,290
    Quote Originally Posted by Regennis View Post
    It's actually kind of funny you say this. There are certain companies (completely anecdotal evidence from people who I know who do hiring/firing) that have the assumption that everyone steals something from the company they work for. If they see someone put a 0, the get rid of the application because they take that as the person not being honest. It just strikes me as odd where a truly honest person who doesn't steal from their job could be potentially punished on a future application lol
    and in that process they may have turned away honest hard working employees who would actually benefit the company.

  8. #68
    Quote Originally Posted by Grym View Post
    The problem is, the amount of unskilled workforce out there that is looking for work, is WAY high. While, jobs in the STEM category, likely to have slightly less of a competition (can still be rather high though). You can stay as an unskilled worker, and compete against God knows how many of them out there, or you can get some sort of STEM qualification, and lessen your competition by a ton, so it is a valid suggestion really, even though you might not like it.
    Not my issue at all. Not even in the slightest. What I am tired of is the attitude. Here and other places there is a strong sentiment if you don't have a STEM degree you are a loser in life, an idiot, or wasted your time in college. That I am sick of. To hell with anyone who says my degree is "shit tier." True it may be, pointing it out is elitist.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

  9. #69
    Legendary! Reg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Manhattan
    Posts
    6,992
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Wow, I think the only thing I've ever stolen from a company I worked for was a ballpoint pen I forgot to take out of my pocket before going home.
    Well I should probably also add that they define "time" as something that can be stolen by employees. Talk for 5 minutes with a coworker while on the clock, you stole 5 minutes of time lol It's ridiculous, but I see their point. They would rather see someone mark down a 1 than a 0.

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-22 at 11:42 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    and in that process they may have turned away honest hard working employees who would actually benefit the company.
    Meh, shit happens. You know how many hundreds of applications they go through?

  10. #70
    The Insane Reeve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX USA
    Posts
    18,848
    Quote Originally Posted by Regennis View Post
    Well I should probably also add that they define "time" as something that can be stolen by employees. Talk for 5 minutes with a coworker while on the clock, you stole 5 minutes of time lol It's ridiculous, but I see their point. They would rather see someone mark down a 1 than a 0.
    Yeah, again, I would definitely see that as a type of corporate culture I wouldn't want to get involved with. HUGE red flag. People in my office take personal time at work all the time, and as long as it doesn't interfere with them getting the job done, no one cares. Even being on these forums falls under "acceptable use" so long as it doesn't affect my work.
    Well 1, 2, 3, take my hand and come with me
    Because you look so fine
    And I really wanna make you mine

  11. #71
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    You may be tired of it, but it doesn't make it any less true.
    See above.

    I got the impression that the guy was apply for entry level jobs. Unskilled yes. he obviously needs a job. Saying I have a STEM degree and am hot shit because of it really does noting to adress the OP's initial vent. All the person I quoted did, in my opinion, was brag about his STEMiness. Ugh.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

  12. #72
    The Insane Reeve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX USA
    Posts
    18,848
    Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post
    See above.

    I got the impression that the guy was apply for entry level jobs. Unskilled yes. he obviously needs a job. Saying I have a STEM degree and am hot shit because of it really does noting to adress the OP's initial vent. All the person I quoted did, in my opinion, was brag about his STEMiness. Ugh.
    Well that's fair enough.
    Well 1, 2, 3, take my hand and come with me
    Because you look so fine
    And I really wanna make you mine

  13. #73
    Legendary! Reg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Manhattan
    Posts
    6,992
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Yeah, again, I would definitely see that as a type of corporate culture I wouldn't want to get involved with. HUGE red flag. People in my office take personal time at work all the time, and as long as it doesn't interfere with them getting the job done, no one cares. Even being on these forums falls under "acceptable use" so long as it doesn't affect my work.
    I completely agree with you. Just some intriguing things I have heard from friends in other companies.

  14. #74
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Wow, I think the only thing I've ever stolen from a company I worked for was a ballpoint pen I forgot to take out of my pocket before going home.

    Honestly if a company didn't believe me when I said "0," I think that would be a clear indication that it wasn't the type of corporate culture I'd want to be working for.
    Having to fill out a survey to even get to the next step would tell me that before anything else.

  15. #75
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnabas View Post
    Having to fill out a survey to even get to the next step would tell me that before anything else.
    That's certainly not a deal breaker for me. It MAY have been pointed out, but a some larger companies probably receive thousands of applications a year. Imagine going through a walmarts archive of applications.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

  16. #76
    Quote Originally Posted by Regennis View Post
    It's actually kind of funny you say this. There are certain companies (completely anecdotal evidence from people who I know who do hiring/firing) that have the assumption that everyone steals something from the company they work for. If they see someone put a 0, the get rid of the application because they take that as the person not being honest. It just strikes me as odd where a truly honest person who doesn't steal from their job could be potentially punished on a future application lol
    Yes there are companies that believe everyone steals from them and they make you bring your own TP to work. I've only seen this in China but it does exist to that extreme.

  17. #77
    Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post
    That's certainly not a deal breaker for me. It MAY have been pointed out, but a some larger companies probably receive thousands of applications a year. Imagine going through a walmarts archive of applications.
    Pfft you just look at who they worked for in the past, how long they worked at that place and what they worked on during that stretch of employment. If you want the best of the best applicant.

  18. #78
    Legendary! Reg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Manhattan
    Posts
    6,992
    Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post
    That's certainly not a deal breaker for me. It MAY have been pointed out, but a some larger companies probably receive thousands of applications a year. Imagine going through a walmarts archive of applications.
    I've been taking resumes for a secretary. So far I have over 100. Granted, I do live/work in Manhattan, but this is a position for one secretary for one person lol I can't even imagine what the WalMart archive looks like.

  19. #79
    Bloodsail Admiral Talokami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    1,080
    Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post
    Not my issue at all. Not even in the slightest. What I am tired of is the attitude. Here and other places there is a strong sentiment if you don't have a STEM degree you are a loser in life, an idiot, or wasted your time in college. That I am sick of. To hell with anyone who says my degree is "shit tier." True it may be, pointing it out is elitist.
    Thank you!

    My BA is in English with a focus on medieval literature. And I knew the English degree wasn't going to guarantee me a career but I don't regret that. The degree has been useful and I had the opportunity to study topics I had wanted to for a very long time. Having a STEM degree doesn't make you "better" than someone who focused on humanities or liberal arts. You made your choice, I made mine and I'm happy with the results so kindly do not tell me how I should have spent four years of my life.
    That fabric softener teddy bear...oooh I'm 'a hunt that little bitch down.

  20. #80
    The Insane peggleftw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Surrey, England
    Posts
    16,251
    job applications are getting stupid, for low paid/low skill jobs. my brother recently applied to a small shop in the UK as a basic assistant, pay is a little over min wage and was just for evenings after school. the application online was so freaking long, i understand they only want people who can be bothered to fill in the application, but for such a shitty job it was ridiculous. ask such pointless and unrelated questions, most of the answers could be found on the CV anyway, dont know why they need to know twice. then they ask all these questions in the form on "on a scale of 1 - 5 which of these would you consider yourself to be" and had about 20 questions like that, 80% of which had no relevence to the actual job.
    Too cool for a signature

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •