Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    I always enjoyed the " Why do you want to work for us " question. .... Uh, cause I need money duh! - No, I want to work for you because working is super duper fun and I get to put up with your bull crap policies for minimum wage and not to mention irate customers who complain about their first world problems!

But I do agree. I think if your going to offer a position between minimum wage and $12 an hour, there should be just 1 uniformed job application that shouldn't take no more than 5 minutes to fill out. Forget all that questioner bull crap and to be honest, I don't even care about your job history. I only care if you can do the job you are applying for. If not, you won't be working for me much longer.

Another problem in the unskilled section is, if anyone with some sort of contacts, they probably will get the job over you.

My company a couple of months ago had an account clerk position open, while not totally unskilled, but you only need basic maths really and general knowledge in DR and CR. Over night it received over 30 applications, some of them are part AAT qualified, A-levels and such. My friend who only had GCSE level applied for the job, stated I am his reference (there is a section in the application asking if you know anyone in the company and if that person is where you heard about the job from). My manager asked me a few questions about him, and what he is like (in my opinion), and he got the job over all those people that are way more qualified than him.

I suggest you ask friends that currently employed (and preferably in a good position and in good standing with the person hiring), and see if their companies are hiring, it feels like that if you have some sort of contacts it would be better than if you have the right experience and such (for the lower skilled job anyway).

---------- Post added 2013-01-22 at 05:52 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Holyshnikies View Post
    I always enjoyed the " Why do you want to work for us " question. .... Uh, cause I need money duh! - No, I want to work for you because working is super duper fun and I get to put up with your bull crap policies for minimum wage and not to mention irate customers who complain about their first world problems!
    I got asked that too, but I answered that question in details to why I wanted to work for them, and as much as I hate to admit it I do love my job lol. While I totally understand a lot of people and a lot of situation it is merely "because I need a job?", there are also times that there are people generally wanted to work for a company and enjoy that job with a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    why would someone with a job fill out a job application? seems a bit redundant
    While it might amaze people that are unable to find work due to lazyness, criminal history or other less than desirable attributes, their are indeed many jobs available for those with the needed qualifications/attitude.

And those of us who do have jobs also have career goals, meaning we want more comfortable jobs, higher pay, more benefits, and some of us actually seek such things out.

If someone is unemployed for more than a year there is only 4 logical reasons.
    #1 your expectations/demands
    #2 Your attitude
    #3 Your availability
    #4 Your Personal hygiene.

Simply put, wash your lazy ass put on a smile and tell the next potential employer you are willing to do what they want when they want and take pride in doing it correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by skrump View Post
    While it might amaze people that are unable to find work due to lazyness, criminal history or other less than desirable attributes, their are indeed many jobs available for those with the needed qualifications/attitude.

And those of us who do have jobs also have career goals, meaning we want more comfortable jobs, higher pay, more benefits, and some of us actually seek such things out.

If someone is unemployed for more than a year there is only 4 logical reasons.
    #1 your expectations/demands
    #2 Your attitude
    #3 Your availability
    #4 Your Personal hygiene.

Simply put, wash your lazy ass put on a smile and tell the next potential employer you are willing to do what they want when they want and take pride in doing it correctly.
    I wish I lived in your idealistic world

Please answer the following questions truthfully. Do not spend time on what you think is the "right" answer, your first reaction is usually the correct one. There are no wrong answers. Save for the answers that won't get you the job, but please don't concern yourself with that.

"Do you feel like causing serious injury to your surpervisor when you're annoyed?"
    AGREE - DISAGREE

"When you're frusterated, do you feel like stabbing your boss in the face?"
    AGREE - DISAGREE

"When you feel irritated, do you often harbor thoughts of inflicting extreme phsyical trauma upon your coworkers?"
    AGREE - DISAGREE
    Last edited by Merie; 2013-01-22 at 07:30 PM.