Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

The Inauguration

I don't have any great interest in the inauguration, but I'm home today, so it's on in the background. I'm not much of a fan these sorts of ceremonies in general, I guess. Comments anyone?

Ugh... throwing in a hymn for no particular reason makes our nation look superstitious.
    Last edited by Spectral; 2013-01-21 at 04:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I don't have any great interest in the inauguration, but I'm home today, so it's on in the background. I'm not much of a fan these sorts of ceremonies in general, I guess. Comments anyone?

Ugh... throwing in a hymn for no particular reason makes our nation look superstitious.
    I don't agree with throwing special ceremonies for any politician. They are paid with tax dollars, i.e. the blood, sweat, and tears of the people who voted (or didn't vote) for them. If they want to celebrate their own election, they should pay for it out of their salary.

Deleted
    Well, that was a very well written inauguration speech and the President delivered it very well. I found his emphasis on making the founding principles relevant in a contemporary context interesting, as was his tactic to make more affordable healthcare and a financial safety net seem like a positive action for helping people to actually become more entrepreneurial and able to take risks (to stimulate the economy). That's my interpretation of what he was saying anyway. I look forward to seeing if he's able to put his money where his mouth is more sincerely than the current British regime.

He just had to fluff up the oath again though didn't he?! The buffoon. x'D

Deleted
    Hey, this has nothing to do with me but I was surprised that he got another term in Office so...all good.

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess the only thing that really bothers me is the fact that they still use the Bible.

I mean over 25% of the Nation doesn't practice any form of Christianity, and you know, separation of church and state.

I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it, but yeah, I find it annoying.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

Not sure why we need to have expensive inauguration ceremonies for second terms, but whatever. The money (which isn't all tax dollars, it's donations too) could have been better spent feeding the homeless in DC instead of having lavish parties for the ultra wealthy that Obama was quick to chasitze in his speech about poverty and fairness.

I chuckled when Obama talked about not having the government be a fix for everything (or whatever it was he said, wasn't really paying attention just listening while I work.)

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't even know it was going on today until I saw this thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    I had issue with the use of MLK day to start with. I seriously doubt that MLK would approve of Obama's positions on many things. Namely the perpetuating the war on drugs.

This sums it up better than I could:
    I like sandwiches

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Roose View Post
    I had issue with the use of MLK day to start with. I seriously doubt that MLK would approve of Obama's positions on many things. Namely the perpetuating the war on drugs.
    Obama's policies and opinions overall indicate that his position is the direct opposite of what you are saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Elisif View Post
    Hey, this has nothing to do with me but I was surprised that he got another term in Office so...all good.
    Considering the garbage he was running against, I am not. Not near as many actually voted FOR Obama as they were mainly voting AGAINST Romney.

Still think it is complete garbage that with two completely failures for choices among the two big parties, not enough of the US population had the intelligence to vote outside of them with 3rd party candidates. I mean seriously, the D and R gave us the choice between a disappointment and a disaster while there were perfectly viable alternatives that were ignored cause some no nothing's told us the were unelectable.... Sounds like a self fulfilling prophesy to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fugus View Post
    Considering the garbage he was running against, I am not. Not near as many actually voted FOR Obama as they were mainly voting AGAINST Romney.
    Romney was probably the worst possible choice the Republican party could have come up with for a viable presidential candidate. He essentially lost them what should have been an easy election.

I love Cornel West. He's so animated when he gets going.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

Quote Originally Posted by Roose View Post
    The inauguration is always on the 20/21st of January. This year it just happened to fall on the MLK holiday. MLK seems to be the new cool guy that everyone wants to claim supports their ideas even if its crazy like gun rights.

---------- Post added 2013-01-21 at 05:58 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    Romney was probably the worst possible choice the Republican party could have come up with for a viable presidential candidate. He essentially lost them what should have been an easy election.
    They could have chosen Santorum. Romney was always the safety candidate they fell back to after the front runner made some stupid mistake that killed their candidacy.

Who would have they chosen then?

Gingrich the guy who cheated on 2 of his wifes...family values
    Santorum the guy who called Obama a snob because Obama wants people to go college
    Cain also a wife cheater and laws should fit on a single page
    Bachmann the crazy women

Republican voters choice Ronmey to say afterwards ''he wasn't really our guy'' means what exactly? People had different choices but they pick Ronmey who had the best chance of winning (less crazy then the others).

HEY HEY HEY! Bachmann did her damnedest to out-crazy RMoney* - and on most things she succeeded.

*look it up, it makes me laugh every time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Obama's policies and opinions overall indicate that his position is the direct opposite of what you are saying.
    So Obama has not increased drone strikes, stripped us of any semblance of privacy, and has ended the war on drugs?
    I like sandwiches

Pardon my ignorance, but Inauguration of what?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadvolcanoes View Post
    I guess the only thing that really bothers me is the fact that they still use the Bible.

I mean over 25% of the Nation doesn't practice any form of Christianity, and you know, separation of church and state.

I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it, but yeah, I find it annoying.
    They don't "use the Bible" for the swearing-in. It's the same principle as when a witness is sworn in to testify; you ask them to swear by the highest authority they recognize. For religious people, that's whatever God they believe in. For atheists, whatever they choose, or no particular thing. If he were a Muslim, it would be a Qu'ran. If he were atheist, he'd probably just salute the flag instead. It's not a specifically religious concept, just one that allows for the President's own beliefs to be the basis of his oath.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    They don't "use the Bible" for the swearing-in. It's the same principle as when a witness is sworn in to testify; you ask them to swear by the highest authority they recognize. For religious people, that's whatever God they believe in. For atheists, whatever they choose, or no particular thing. If he were a Muslim, it would be a Qu'ran. If he were atheist, he'd probably just salute the flag instead. It's not a specifically religious concept, just one that allows for the President's own beliefs to be the basis of his oath.
    Really though, it's a pretty stupid tradition at this point. Is someone under the impression that a President (or other office holder) was looking to do some really nasty things, but if we make them do the proper ritual, they'll be bound to oath? I'd rather just do some paperwork and call it a day than do something that reminds of attempting to cast a spell.

I'm under the impression that non-religious office holders typically swear on a Constitution. This still seems pointless to me, but at the least the spirit of it makes sense.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    I don't agree with throwing special ceremonies for any politician. They are paid with tax dollars, i.e. the blood, sweat, and tears of the people who voted (or didn't vote) for them. If they want to celebrate their own election, they should pay for it out of their salary.
    It's a public swearing in ceremony, not a celebration. The fact that a lot of people want to be there to see the ceremony isn't the President's fault.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!