Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

The mother of all jumping puzzles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXRTf...cYYrRqUx15NXLc

Josh Foreman, the fellow who created the Mad King Clock Tower is working on a new puzzle which he states (comments in the above video) will be "the mother of all jumping puzzles. It will have different levels of difficulty from baby to I-Want-To-Be-The-Guy insanity."
    Valar morghulis

10+ Year Old Account
    Clock tower was hard, but not that hard. I'm really curious just how difficult this will be. I got clock tower in an hour, and got the christmas JP in 2nd try, and the jumping part wasn't what I failed at. I sure hope he didn't design that faceroll shit, and if he did it was probably because of the clock tower QQ from baddies who can't handle an actual challenge. I'm willing to bet all holiday puzzles from now on will be that easy, because there is too much whining from the community that can't do it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Based on his comment of the range of difficulty in levels, everyone should be happy with this one, haha.

btw, this is what he is referring to.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Wanna_Be_the_Guy
    Valar morghulis

Deleted
    If this one is to stay, I don't think people will whine as much because Holiday puzzles were limited. Now people will be able to take their time, starting with the baby one, and slowly go up in difficulty.

lots of people found the clocktower too hard. He said later that he wanted to make puzzles more accesible so let's hope they don't do it with this puzzle.

Clocktower was not that hard, people are just impatient and want instant gratification. Then people bitched the Wintersday puzzle was too hard, while some said too easy.

I've done plenty of jump puzzles, though not all of them. I had fun during the holiday puzzles, but finished neither. My friend finished both. I don't begrudge anyone for finishing them, though rating them as "easy" or "hard" really neglects that various players have different skill levels.

What I don't get is the folks whining that it's too hard. I could see if it's required for something you want, but in both cases it wasn't. "It was too hard for me" is fine, but "make it easier so I can finish!" sort of removes the point of the challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    I've done plenty of jump puzzles, though not all of them. I had fun during the holiday puzzles, but finished neither. My friend finished both. I don't begrudge anyone for finishing them, though rating them as "easy" or "hard" really neglects that various players have different skill levels.

What I don't get is the folks whining that it's too hard. I could see if it's required for something you want, but in both cases it wasn't. "It was too hard for me" is fine, but "make it easier so I can finish!" sort of removes the point of the challenge.
    Exactly, I don't understand why people were complaining about the puzzles so much given the fact they weren't required for the meta achievement for the titles as all. I couldn't do the puzzles and I was fine with it, I would of been fine with it even if it was a requirement for the meta because titles are things I seldom ever use.

10+ Year Old Account
    Clock tower wasn't hard, it was buggy, sooooooooooooo many times I got stuck in the wall, or the blocks, and etc... That being said that was only at the explosion-- a few jumps before the stairs.

That being said I'm excited.
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

IWBTG difficulty? Yes please.

Quote Originally Posted by VibrantViolet View Post
    Then people bitched the Wintersday puzzle was too hard.
    Wow, who are these megabads who thought the Wintersday one was too hard? They need to just retire from jumping puzzles entirely and stfu.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    I sure hope he didn't design that faceroll shit, and if he did it was probably because of the clock tower QQ from baddies who can't handle an actual challenge. I'm willing to bet all holiday puzzles from now on will be that easy, because there is too much whining from the community that can't do it.
    Preach it broseph

I made the mistake of only attempting the Clock Tower with my Asura, which I later heard was a problematic race for it. -_- I thought it would be easier with the smaller frame, but I guess not. :P So, unfortunately, I never really got a feel of the true difficulty of the puzzle, I suppose. I just know I was never able to finish it with my Asura.

Not that I really put a whole lot of effort into it because I hate the waiting room nonsense. I would really prefer to see jumping puzzles where you don't start with everyone else and can restart immediately after you fail. Maybe it's part of the design in difficulty to lose your 'groove' by being forced to time out and then deal with a cluster**** of people when you're able to try again, but it sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakhar View Post
    Wow, who are these megabads who thought the Wintersday one was too hard? They need to just retire from jumping puzzles entirely and stfu.
    People on the GW2 forums during Wintersday. It really made me laugh, I mean, the Wintersday puzzle was so easy, but people were still complaining it was too hard and not fair. -_-

Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    Not that I really put a whole lot of effort into it because I hate the waiting room nonsense. I would really prefer to see jumping puzzles where you don't start with everyone else and can restart immediately after you fail. Maybe it's part of the design in difficulty to lose your 'groove' by being forced to time out and then deal with a cluster**** of people when you're able to try again, but it sucks.
    The Wintersday one had snowballs to keep you busy while waiting.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Wintersday one had snowballs to keep you busy while waiting.
    Halloween one had costume brawl xD, at least in the area I was...
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    Halloween one had costume brawl xD, at least in the area I was...
    If you brought the costumes with you, nothing built into the waiting area itself. Not a huge thing, it had a certain amusement factor as folks would come crashing back.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you brought the costumes with you, nothing built into the waiting area itself. Not a huge thing, it had a certain amusement factor as folks would come crashing back.
    Lol I still have the stupid, "tick tock, the mouse ran up the clock, but time swallowed it whole, tail and all!!" Stuck in my he's from that fucking thing xD. And I brought my witch costume with me, so I had a cauldron down so I had others to fight with...

-I hope in higher difficulties to be as hard as MKCT,Griffonrook Run,Winter Wonderland or Skipping Stones.I like hard timed jumping puzzles.
    -I also like the torch parts in Obsidian Sanctum and Tribulation Caverns.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    Lol I still have the stupid, "tick tock, the mouse ran up the clock, but time swallowed it whole, tail and all!!" Stuck in my he's from that fucking thing xD. And I brought my witch costume with me, so I had a cauldron down so I had others to fight with...
    https://soundcloud.com/arenanet/the-clocktower

Notes from the composer:

Composed by Maclaine Diemer

Maclaine: A new jumping puzzle was added for the Halloween update. We got a request for a piece of music that would increase in tempo and tension as it goes on. You have around 90 seconds to complete the puzzle, and it's unbelievably difficult. I gave up after about a dozen tries.

The music is based on the same rhythm and melody as the Halloween Theme. I took the first few notes of the melody and gave it to some low brass, trombones and French horns. Rather than play the entire melody, the basic motif rises chromatically, mimicking your ascent of the clock tower. I also got to throw in some fun string effects, as well as a couple of nods to the clock tower in the percussion. Overall, it's much more ominous than its upbeat cousin, and it was a lot of fun to work on.
    Last edited by Karizee; 2013-01-25 at 12:39 PM.
    Valar morghulis

What pissed me off about the wintersday puzzle was not being able to go about it at my own pace, I don't mind difficulty but don't make me wait on a platform to get teleported to the start of the puzzle just to find that everyone else has taken off leaving me behind to wait for the snowflakes to come back, but wait! theres a freaking snow ball that knocks you off and ignores stability. Sitting through stupid load screens to go back to the start and wait 3 min again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Meledelion View Post
    Plz show me your spreadsheets.
    5. You think critting for 5k is awesome, I normal hit for 7.4k with autoattacks.
    Some people are too pro.

10+ Year Old Account
    Josh Foreman has been dropping hints around the official forums about the jumping puzzle he's working on.

"Well. I won’t give too much away. But let’s just say that in this JP… size matters not." (in response to a comment about size of races)

"This next one I’m doing is so massive that I’m getting to do a bit of everything in it, so it’s been a super fun experience."

"I’m currently placing props in my map that will only appear in Baby Mode that will create bridges over the difficult parts. Normal Mode will have none of those. And Stupid Mode… well, if you’ve ever played I Want To Be The Guy or Syobon Action (AKA Cat Mario) you’ll know what to expect. And all with rewards/titles commensurate with the effort involved."

"Can’t wait for you to see what I’m working on now. You may never leave it."
    Valar morghulis