Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    Josh Foreman has been dropping hints around the official forums about the jumping puzzle he's working on.

"Well. I won’t give too much away. But let’s just say that in this JP… size matters not." (in response to a comment about size of races)

"This next one I’m doing is so massive that I’m getting to do a bit of everything in it, so it’s been a super fun experience."

"I’m currently placing props in my map that will only appear in Baby Mode that will create bridges over the difficult parts. Normal Mode will have none of those. And Stupid Mode… well, if you’ve ever played I Want To Be The Guy or Syobon Action (AKA Cat Mario) you’ll know what to expect. And all with rewards/titles commensurate with the effort involved."

"Can’t wait for you to see what I’m working on now. You may never leave it."
    So there is 3 modes?

God I think i just came...

OMG jumping puzzles are probably the lamest part about GW2. If I want jumping or puzzle games there are far superior games out there for that. I did all the clunky jumping puzzles in GW2 and they were all pretty easy and none of them particularly fun. The few times it took a few tries it was based off of clunkiness not challenging puzzles. GW2 did it slightly less lame than the ones SWTOR had but still it is just a sub-par diversion from what should be the main game. Anet should focus on improving the combat not crappy jumping puzzles LOL.

Deleted
    you do know that anet doesn,t focus on 1 particular thing? they got different groups with different goals

I used to rave about how amazing the jumping puzzles were in GW2, and I had high hopes that they would keep them coming.

Then new jumping puzzles were made, and they were all timed in one way or another. Timed. Timed jumping puzzles. Timed. Fail? wait a minute. Fail again? wait another minute. Want to relax and actually think doing a puzzle? fail and wait a minute to do it again.

Blah. I will do this one, probably on high or highest difficulty depending on how actually insane it will be, but I will not enjoy the timed piece of shit it is bound to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    Then new jumping puzzles were made, and they were all timed in one way or another. Timed. Timed jumping puzzles. Timed. Fail? wait a minute. Fail again? wait another minute. Want to relax and actually think doing a puzzle? fail and wait a minute to do it again.
    My biggest issue with the timed puzzles (at least for Halloween & Wintersday thus far) is the damned waiting room they make you sit in where you have to wait for everyone else to either fail or complete it. I'm not a GW2 jumping puzzle connoisseur yet, but I can't imagine it'll be anything worse than what I've dealt with in console platformers for years. The thing is when I fail in one of those I can try again immediately, I'm not sent to a forced time out before my next attempt.

It's for that reason I can only give timed puzzles a few tries before having to take a break. Not only is it frustrating, but it's boring as Hell. I end up alt tabbing to do other things and, really, that shouldn't have to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    I used to rave about how amazing the jumping puzzles were in GW2, and I had high hopes that they would keep them coming.

Blah. I will do this one, probably on high or highest difficulty depending on how actually insane it will be, but I will not enjoy the timed piece of shit it is bound to be.
    some puzzles require quick wit and repetition instead of sitting there and thinking.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    My biggest issue with the timed puzzles (at least for Halloween & Wintersday thus far) is the damned waiting room they make you sit in where you have to wait for everyone else to either fail or complete it.

You'll be happy to know Josh stated, "There will be no waiting between tries on this one."

And in response to a question about what zone it will be in, "Everything about it is brand new. I mean… everything. So it’s going to take a while. Give it a couple months."

Dear god, they are making a jumping puzzle zone.
    Valar morghulis

10+ Year Old Account
    You'll be happy to know Josh stated, "There will be no waiting between tries on this one."

And in response to a question about what zone it will be in, "Everything about it is brand new. I mean… everything. So it’s going to take a while. Give it a couple months."

Dear god, they are making a jumping puzzle zone.
    Mother of god... now iäm even more excited!
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

10+ Year Old Account
    ob what a LOVELY news in the early morning

im excited
    Warrior, getting my face smashed in because I love it

"The Perfect Raid Design Drawn by me .

a jumping puzzle zone....

my heart!

I like jumping puzzles.. kind of.

I did the clock tower after a half hour of tries though I gave it up in frustration the first minute because there were too many people throwing me off. I came back to it later that night and it just worked.

I two-shot the winter one and eventually could do it without ever taking my finger off the 'w' key.

But I would not enjoy an IWBTG difficulty. I hate those kinds of games. Too frequently they get cheap kills on you not because the jumps are hard but because of shit you had no way of knowing in advance. Like invisible blocks in so many Mario roms. And because I'm "good" at the jumping puzzles in gw2 I'll be tempted to try the hardest difficulty... which would cause me to rage.. a lot.

I've become more adult about achievements and meta titles and I don't *have* to do anything in the game and I can easily miss dailies or monthlies without losing sleep over it but... this'll be a test...

winter one was stupid easy, let's hope they never go that route again.

Jumping puzzles are probably my most favourite things in this game... am I weird? :S

So yeah this is rather exciting...

Quote Originally Posted by nevermore View Post
    Jumping puzzles are probably my most favourite things in this game... am I weird? :S

I wouldn't say you are weird, but you are playing the wrong game then. There are much better platform jumping games out there that have much more intricate and thoughtful puzzles to solve.

Quote Originally Posted by nevermore View Post

Yes, you are weird, but it's okay here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gainesvilleg View Post
    I wouldn't say you are weird, but you are playing the wrong game then. There are much better platform jumping games out there that have much more intricate and thoughtful puzzles to solve.
    But how many are set in a medieval fantasy MMORPG?

This is part of the innovation that GW2 brings to the genre, it adds a whole new dimension to exploring - finding that forgotten cave, mysterious stairs that lead to who knows where, falling down a well, scaling a wall or mountain or accidentally triggering a portal that take you to......

Last edited by Karizee; 2013-02-13 at 01:28 AM.
    Valar morghulis

10+ Year Old Account
    Recent unofficial tidbits from Josh:

Oh hey, did someone summon me? Just to clarify,
    *my MOAJP is not Guild related.
    *It will be it's own thing that anyone can participate in.
    *Crystalas has a really good memory, and was also an amazing NES game.
    *Assuming it doesn't get canceled (things are looking pretty good right now) it will be out before the summer.
    *To make the hardest mode everything I want it to be, hard mode will probably be coming out a little bit after the main release.
    *None of this is official.

Crystalas had posted:

To summarize what he said (from memory):
    "Mother of all jumping puzzles"
    A new type of dungeon
    5 man
    Normalized player size (no giant Charr/Norn excuse)
    Locked spells
    Variable difficulty (With highest being way above anything current)
    Checkpoints
    Multiple titles
    Has a team on it, I think most JP are done solo.
    Valar morghulis

The Halloween one was the hardest I have done yet but not way too difficult. I liked the challenge, the Christmas one felt too easy but it was fun.
    Last edited by worprz; 2013-03-12 at 11:51 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    More info from the man himself:

Hey Josh, can you unofficially tell us how massive this thing is going to be?

"Well, I've got big plans for it. The first release will be the first quarter of it. The rest will be released or not depending on how popular it is. This isn't like most JPs that only require two people a couple of days or weeks to throw them together. It truly is a game within a game."
    Valar morghulis

Took me four hours to complete Clocktower the first time. Was really fun. Winter was easier, but it was fun and really nice looking. Hidden Garden is still my favorite, amazing looking and climbing up a tree, underground, in mountains and in caves was an awesome sightseeing adventure.

---------- Post added 2013-03-13 at 12:16 PM ----------

More info from the man himself:

Hey Josh, can you unofficially tell us how massive this thing is going to be?

"Well, I've got big plans for it. The first release will be the first quarter of it. The rest will be released or not depending on how popular it is. This isn't like most JPs that only require two people a couple of days or weeks to throw them together. It truly is a game within a game."
    If it isn't popular, it's going to suck really hard having spend so much time making it and only get a quarter released.