Page 1 of 7
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1

    Illegal World of Warcraft Theme Park Open in China

    Like the title says China made a Illegal Theme park based on World Of Warcraft in China. What do you think the black lash of this will me.

    China is known to rip things off like about a year ago there was a china company that ripped off Torchlight and tryed to sell the game on the apple store. Apple refused to sell the game anymore after runic learned of it and had the game shutdown.

    Me personally I think if blizzard steps in and shutdowns the park china will refuse the sell of any world of warcraft/blizzard entertainment items in China therefor will be a huge sub lost cause good change china will not let anyone play/run/buy wow there anymore.

    Or Blizzard will take it to court and try to win it and make a profit off it. But once again if its not to china's liking the above may still happen.

    Also it is the same theme park posted here on MMOChamp a few days ago and it seems blizzard did not give the OK for the theme park to be made.

    Do you think that blizzard can do anything that may not hurt them in the long run.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LqJcdvZgL8 "Ign's video about the theme park" please no IGN bashing. 31sec mark clear Lich King rip off.

    http://www.destructoid.com/ios-mmo-s...t-231527.phtml "torch light game rip off"

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21029851 "BBC showing pics of the theme park."

    http://joyland.ccjoy.com/joylandweb/ "Official site"

    http://rcdb.com/8981.htm?p=0 "more pics of the theme park"

    "I really did not know where to post this so if a mod wants to move it that would be great"
    "Also please lets have a mature conversation about this so no game/company/nation bashing please"
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2013-01-17 at 12:34 AM.
    My PC: Intel Core i5-4690K|8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory|1TB WD Caviar Blue|Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE|SeaSonic S12II 620W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
    My Paladin - http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Landore/simple
    My Deathknight - http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Cellios/simple
    Streaming Ps4/PC games @ https://www.twitch.tv/jtbrig7390

  2. #2
    The Lightbringer Hug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    JKL
    Posts
    3,372
    Isn't it a gaming theme park, not just WoW?

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitey View Post
    Isn't it a gaming theme park, not just WoW?
    As far as I know a lot of the theme park is based off of WOW and Starcraft. If I find anymore info about it I will edit the original post and add it to the links.
    My PC: Intel Core i5-4690K|8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory|1TB WD Caviar Blue|Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE|SeaSonic S12II 620W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
    My Paladin - http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Landore/simple
    My Deathknight - http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Cellios/simple
    Streaming Ps4/PC games @ https://www.twitch.tv/jtbrig7390

  4. #4
    They msut be loving all the free advertisement they are getting.

    Besides I didnt saw the WOW Logo, Blizzard etc, and as far as I know BLizzard dont have the copyright for Ogres and Elf statues...
    Garrison Guardian / Protretardin / waste of time

  5. #5
    Did I watch the wrong video? I'm not seeing anything that screams "warcraft." More like "generic fantasy setting."

  6. #6
    Scarab Lord MasterHamster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Riding my polar bear around Sweden.
    Posts
    4,943
    Free advertisement is free advertisement.
    There's always Hamster.

  7. #7
    Using copyrighted material without consent isn't illegal; it's a civil matter.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellfury View Post
    They msut be loving all the free advertisement they are getting.

    Besides I didnt saw the WOW Logo, Blizzard etc, and as far as I know BLizzard dont have the copyright for Ogres and Elf statues...
    Right but it seems "from what is said in the video and ill update the original post as i go along" that a lot of themes are based around world of warcraft and break copyright laws.

    Like the game that ripped off torchlight http://www.destructoid.com/ios-mmo-s...t-231527.phtml
    My PC: Intel Core i5-4690K|8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory|1TB WD Caviar Blue|Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE|SeaSonic S12II 620W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
    My Paladin - http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Landore/simple
    My Deathknight - http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Cellios/simple
    Streaming Ps4/PC games @ https://www.twitch.tv/jtbrig7390

  9. #9
    Legendary! Huntingbear_grimbatol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Norway, Trondheim
    Posts
    6,389
    China doesn't aknowledge western companies, they copy everything and the gouverment protects them.
    search for "Chineese copy cars" on google, it's like they put western cars into copy machines from the 80s. (before they were good quality copies)
    9thorder.com | Recruiting exceptional players!

  10. #10
    Herald of the Titans Zogarth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    2,642
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Did I watch the wrong video? I'm not seeing anything that screams "warcraft." More like "generic fantasy setting."
    Exactly what i was thinking. Are people sure that it does not just look a bit like some WoW-like chars, and then instantly scream WOW CHARACTERS OMG!

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Using copyrighted material without consent isn't illegal; it's a civil matter.
    I could be wrong but when its a theme park side copyright I don't think its a civil matter anymore.

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-16 at 11:19 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Zogarth View Post
    Exactly what i was thinking. Are people sure that it does not just look a bit like some WoW-like chars, and then instantly scream WOW CHARACTERS OMG!
    Added a link to show pics of the theme park.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21029851 is the link.

    I'm trying to find more on it so bare with me
    My PC: Intel Core i5-4690K|8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory|1TB WD Caviar Blue|Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE|SeaSonic S12II 620W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
    My Paladin - http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Landore/simple
    My Deathknight - http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Cellios/simple
    Streaming Ps4/PC games @ https://www.twitch.tv/jtbrig7390

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Did I watch the wrong video? I'm not seeing anything that screams "warcraft."
    Apart from the very obvious female Lich King scene starting at 0:31? :P

  13. #13
    It's a gaming theme park and the pictures I saw didn't look like anything specifically WoW or Blizzard related.

    Aren't those statues of two guys side by side reminiscent of the ones from Lord of the Rings? And the hot girl in the bikini looks very Evony to me... haha imagine if Evony tried to sue someone for copyright infringement!
    Last edited by Mormolyce; 2013-01-16 at 11:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by DomEmby View Post
    Apart from the very obvious female Lich King scene starting at 0:31? :P
    Wow totally did not notice that until I watched the video a 2nd time.
    My PC: Intel Core i5-4690K|8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory|1TB WD Caviar Blue|Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE|SeaSonic S12II 620W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
    My Paladin - http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Landore/simple
    My Deathknight - http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Cellios/simple
    Streaming Ps4/PC games @ https://www.twitch.tv/jtbrig7390

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    I could be wrong but when its a theme park side copyright I don't think its a civil matter anymore.
    I wouldn't see why not. It's using IP without consent and making money off of it. That's a civil matter.

    In addition, good luck with Blizzard actually suing them; pretty sure the Chinese courts don't give a flying fuck.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    It's a gaming theme park and the pictures I saw didn't look like anything specifically WoW or Blizzard related.
    Like Domemby said watch the video at the 31sec mark that is a clear Lich King rip off.

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-16 at 11:23 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    I wouldn't see why not. It's using IP without consent and making money off of it. That's a civil matter.

    In addition, good luck with Blizzard actually suing them; pretty sure the Chinese courts don't give a flying fuck.
    Well as I said I could be wrong on that personally can't wait to see what blizzard says on the matter.
    My PC: Intel Core i5-4690K|8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory|1TB WD Caviar Blue|Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE|SeaSonic S12II 620W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
    My Paladin - http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Landore/simple
    My Deathknight - http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Cellios/simple
    Streaming Ps4/PC games @ https://www.twitch.tv/jtbrig7390

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Did I watch the wrong video? I'm not seeing anything that screams "warcraft." More like "generic fantasy setting."
    This.

    Blizzard doesn't own a copyright on elves, ogres, etc. Much less it be enforceable in China anyway.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntingbear_grimbatol View Post
    China doesn't aknowledge western companies, they copy everything and the gouverment protects them.
    search for "Chineese copy cars" on google, it's like they put western cars into copy machines from the 80s. (before they were good quality copies)
    This 100%, just look into some of the shitty Chinese everything. They copy a LOT of stuff and their government dosn't care.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottsdaleHokie View Post
    This.

    Blizzard doesn't own a copyright on elves, ogres, etc. Much less it be enforceable in China anyway.
    Like it has already been said at the 31sec mark in the video was a female doing a clear lich king rip off. But if i find more I will update the Original post.
    My PC: Intel Core i5-4690K|8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory|1TB WD Caviar Blue|Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE|SeaSonic S12II 620W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
    My Paladin - http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Landore/simple
    My Deathknight - http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Cellios/simple
    Streaming Ps4/PC games @ https://www.twitch.tv/jtbrig7390

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Like Domemby said watch the video at the 31sec mark that is a clear Lich King rip off.
    Is this a bad time to point out that the Lich King is basically a ripoff of Sauron?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •