Poll: Is It Cowardly to Walk Away from a Fight?

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd be legging it as fast as I could. If they give chase, then if they can catch me, and just want to rob me fair enough. If they want a fight, I would try to give them one, but against that many, most anyone is going to go down.

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.

I'd just force shit my pants. No one wants to fight a guy covered in shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Baikalsan View Post
    Statistically he is more likely to get shot by his own gun, hitting the wrong target or get like you said stabbed first.

That's why negliance when it comes to gun safety in a household makes it much more likely an accident will happen rather than defending your home against an intruder.

And of course I would walk away. The only redeeming quality about "troublemakers" and scum (as described by the op) that some day they will become fertilizer and food for mother nature.
    Nah, if he is jumped by 5 guys he is very likely to shoot the right target. However - that is if he can do it before they jump him, if they have no guns themselves and if he can fire 5 bullets before he is stabbed or beaten by at least one of them.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Cowardly for walking away when you know you have a chance of getting out of it unscathed on both parties? You bet your ass I'll choose option A unless I had no other option to get out of the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankLampard View Post
    [B]
    A) Keep on walking. Ain't nobody got time for dis shit.
    Only if you're a pussy

10+ Year Old Account
    No. It is however cowardly if you attack someone from behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Baikalsan View Post
    We need some form of natural selection though. So let them prove their manliness
    Easiest way to ensure natural selection AND prove your manliness is to preserve your gene pool and GTFO

...and yes, I would walk away. I have no need to run - I'm built like a little brick shithouse (pardon the old expression)- I can probably bench the combined weight of all of them ;P

If you can walk away from a situation without it becoming physical, then that's a win.

If the situation becomes physical despite your best efforts to the contrary, then fight as dirty as you can, especially in a multiple attacker situation. As a general guideline, once you break one attacker's knee, several of the attackers will discover they have to be somewhere else - usually somewhere they can't hear the screaming guy with the busted leg.

10+ Year Old Account
    1. There is nothing wrong in running away when out numbered. Simple logic right there.
    2. If you can't run, back into a corner or a wall so you can't be reached from behind.
    3. Find a weapon.
    4. Fight as dirty as you can, eyes, genitalia everything and anything.

If your going to go down bring as many down as you can. I would try to get away even as a 6'4" 240lb man I can't take 4-5 guys no one can.

Deleted
    I find it stupid not to walk away. Or even to find yourself in such a situation in the first place. I avoid like plague the kind of places frequented by the aggro monkeys. And I kno kung fu!!1! (Actually, Krav Maga. Which is probably the world's most effective hand-to-hand self-defense system when it comes to defending against multiple attackers. But you get the picture.)

The one time I had absolutely no other choice but to strike in similar conditions, I feigned being scared, and then sucker-stabbed the nearest guy into the neck/collarbone area with a pen (I keep one in my sleeve and another in my pocket ever since I learned how to use it as an improvised kubotan). And I palmed another one into the face. They both toppled (the first one screaming), and the other 3 were shocked for a second. And I used that second to RUN LIKE FUCK.

Given their apparent age and physical fitness, the fact that they smelled of booze and were likely at least a bit intoxicated, and the fact I probably had the necessary training and conditioning, I just might have had the edge to take them all out... Or one of them might have pulled out a knife and gotten lucky with it, and I might have ended up bleeding out on the street. Or they might have had more friends nearby, and eventually I'd get overwhelmed.

And dying for bravado would be as stupid as stupid gets.

Deleted
    Hell no. As if couple of pisspots are even worth getting a beating from me. /ignore

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eliandal View Post
    Easiest way to ensure natural selection AND prove your manliness is to preserve your gene pool and GTFO

...and yes, I would walk away. I have no need to run - I'm built like a little brick shithouse (pardon the old expression)- I can probably bench the combined weight of all of them ;P
    That is what I meant. People who happily fight anything that moves are more likely to be selected, that's my hope at least ;D

Nah, if he is jumped by 5 guys he is very likely to shoot the right target. However - that is if he can do it before they jump him, if they have no guns themselves and if he can fire 5 bullets before he is stabbed or beaten by at least one of them.
    Sure but there are a lot of people in a city. Statistics show that it is more likely something goes wrong instead of you being the hero and killing the evil henchmen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just walk away, anything else would be stupid. Besides, YOU would be the aggressor if you attacked first.
    If they'd keep coming at you and actually physically attack you, then that's a different matter. In that case I'd probably target the leader and attempt to knock him out of the fight asap. Take out the leader and the gang usually scatters.

On one hand, assuming you were confident you could beat them all down, or lets go to an extreme example and say you had a gun on you and could blow them all away, walking away isn't really cowardly, the fight doesn't mean anything to you, and to them the victory really doesn't amount to much. However, bullies left alone for long enough eventually learn that no one is willing to stop them. Humiliating them and teaching them not to create more victims causes much good, and NOT fighting them might be the more cowardly option.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope. It shows you're trying to be the bigger person by simply avoiding the conflict all together.

Quote Originally Posted by iamthedevil View Post
    I'd just force shit my pants. No one wants to fight a guy covered in shit.
    Is that a Jedi power or a Sith power.

OT, I would walk away just out of site. I would wait till they broke up and headed home. I would pick one of them, follow them home, and beat the shit out of them. If they hnug out in the same place on a daily basis, then it would be rinse and repeat: pick one, follow home, beat down.

"Discretion is the better part of valor."

No, because this isn't a fight you have to fight.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shink View Post
    A, then c if they follow you

they'll heal....
    I'm with this guy, let the eye-gauging begin!