Poll: Is It Cowardly to Walk Away from a Fight?

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragore View Post
    1. There is nothing wrong in running away when out numbered. Simple logic right there.
    2. If you can't run, back into a corner or a wall so you can't be reached from behind.
    3. Find a weapon.
    4. Fight as dirty as you can, eyes, genitalia everything and anything.

If your going to go down bring as many down as you can. I would try to get away even as a 6'4" 240lb man I can't take 4-5 guys no one can.
    Pretty much this; even a pro boxer or a large man cannot fight 4 - 5 guys and walk away the winner. That's not to say that somewhere out there someone hasn't survived a fight in which they were outnumbered four or five fold (maybe? who knows? insert random internet fight video x here), but for each additional person your odds of walking away unharmed drastically go down, pick your battles.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Some of the greatest Military Minds in History knew when it was time to fight and when it was time to retreat. They also knew when it was time to strike back.

One time YEARS ago, I had about 3-4 kids around me age gimmie a bunch of shit. I ignored them the best I could. Then one day the main instigator was alone. I had a nice....discussion....with him about the virtues of keeping your "bodyguards" close by if you wanna keep starting shit.

Was never bothered with them again.

Had another where 5-6 would harass me. Driving home one day I see one of thier "bigger ones" walking with a gas can. I stopped and picked him up and gave him a ride. We talked a bit and found out his "friend" had fed them a TON of lies. After that I didn't have any issues.

Now if they up and jump me, or give shit to my wife, I do know how to fight with a knife and carry 2 at all times..

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Fighting would be stupid, unless there's no option.

Judiciary in Spain is quite corrupted.. normal people can face real shames while the rich and politicians are free to do what they want. So I would be really afraid of fighting anyone, even in self defense...

If it wasn't because of that... it's plain easy, free all your strength on their butt faces one by one

Quote Originally Posted by Shotyourface View Post
    Pretty much this; even a pro boxer or a large man cannot fight 4 - 5 guys and walk away the winner. That's not to say that somewhere out there someone hasn't survived a fight in which they were outnumbered four or five fold (maybe? who knows? insert random internet fight video x here), but for each additional person your odds of walking away unharmed drastically go down, pick your battles.
    if fighting is the only option and you cant get to a corner or wall with a weapon use your brain. Use there body weight and momentum to sling toss ground and punch them. using thier momentum reduces the energy you need to expent giving you the advantage.

Deleted
    Some interesting thoughts in this tread.

I have been training martial arts for the past 20 years and so far I have been in similar situation only once. I walked away from it hoping I won't get stabbed in the back
    I absolutely love fighting on tournaments and what not, but I'd always choose to walk away in a street fight if possible. If not, I'd try to clear my way with as least trashing as possible and gtfo. Sap first guy, cheap shot 2nd, blind 3rd, smack 4th few times across the face, vanish.

There are a lot of theories about the psychological aspects of street fighting. In vast majority of cases, theories say if you trash the 1st guy that's blocking your way, the rest will back down. I've been thought in my practices that the most effective way is smacking the guy as hard as you can in the nuts (every single male's reflex is to grab the now-mind-searingly-painful crotch with both arms and bend forwards) and following up with a knee to the face. It's nasty, produces a shit ton of blood and definitely kills any desire to fight in your opponent. Would I ever do it? Not if I can avoid it.

Running away is the last option you should choose. These people are not looking for a real fight, they are looking for someone weak, an easy target, if you run, they will know you are an easy target and chances are at least one of them will faster than you. On the other hand I'm not saying you should fight either, indeed that would also be foolish as you would most likely lose being outnumbered. What you should do is stare them down with your most psychotic look or actions as you walk away (but continue to be situationally aware, if they attempt to follow or engage from behind, be ready to sprint or fight) If are forced to fight, be as nasty as you can be, aim for balls, aim for eyes, claw, bite, whatever it takes, if you have a weapon readily available use it. This is your life at stake and you may die. Of course if you are in the USA you could be carrying a firearm, and if you are that should be your first line of defense, most likely no need to shoot, just show them you are packing heat, of course if you choose this option, do not walk away from them, make them walk away from you, so as to remove any risk of danger from behind.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by krunksmash View Post
    if fighting is the only option and you cant get to a corner or wall with a weapon use your brain. Use there body weight and momentum to sling toss ground and punch them. using thier momentum reduces the energy you need to expent giving you the advantage.
    What you're saying here basically describes the fighting technique of Judo. Imo the most amazing martial art there is.

10+ Year Old Account
    As for my own personal experiences regarding gangs beating up people, it never really happened to me. I was way too strong to be ganged up on and unless they were older than me, I did not need to worry about getting hurt. Although I did get into trouble because I was that strong as well, simply because people wanted to challenge my physical strength.

One advice I can give to those who are not strong enough is to avoid fights, or at least surround yourself with friends so you do not get into those uncomfortable situations (hurting oneself is never a good idea if it can be avoided). For those who are able to fight, make sure you do not overdo it, since it can really bite you in the ass later on.

Playing your cards right is the most important aspect in these things, since it can turn you to either the winner or the loser depending on what you do. Whether that means run away or stay and fight is up to the situation.

lots of factors to look at

Are my kids with me? Is my wife with me? Do I know them? Where is this taking place? Are there cameras around? Is my car close? ect ect...

Would not want to fight infront of my kids/wife unless I was defending them, and being 30yr old I would not want to catch another felony. Beating up kids late teans (under 18) would land you in prison.

In that specific situation, it depends on what I can discern of them. Are they really looking to pull out a knife and stab me? Or are they just kids making themselves look cool in front of the others? For the former, I start running. For the latter, I talk them down. Then I start running.

Because let's get one thing straight here - if that situation really occurred and these kids started to "beat me up," for lack of a better term, I would sue each and every one of their parents when I got out of the hospital and live comfortably for the rest of my life. Not worth broken legs, though.

Quote Originally Posted by krunksmash View Post
    This sounds fantastic in theory; applying it in a practical situation is significantly different. Regardless of your training; even well trained fighters know that mathematically speaking each person attacking them significantly decreases their odds of "winning"; like I said pick your battles. Even the best training in the world cannot protect you from being outnumbered significantly.
    Last edited by Shoot-; 2013-01-22 at 12:19 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not cowardly to walk away from a fight you can't win.

However, if I was actually the man in my avatar, I'd kick their ass and eat a powerbar.
    Putin khuliyo

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mezmer1411 View Post
    What you're saying here basically describes the fighting technique of Judo. Imo the most amazing martial art there is.
    I've trained Judo, it's not something that I'd have any use of in a real life situation tbh. I'm too small to actually be able to fend someone off if they attack with full force.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    As a 27 year old I would probably go to jail for fighting teens even if in self defense. So walking away is really my only option, even though that is more than likely what I would do anyway.

It's never cowardly to walk away from a situation you can't win, I don't think many could win that without any sort of weapon or at least a general knowledge of fighting tactics, if they were seriously looking for a fight and not just looking to intimidate/look cool in front of their friends that is. We have our "Fight or Flight" instinct for a reason.. Then again might be biased, I'm a 5'0 90lb girl after all.
    Last edited by K i s u; 2013-01-22 at 12:29 AM.
    Infectionate Pawsthorne Bubblesbee
    [A] [H]
    Nasturtium Fisticuffs Blesshu Sinnocence Ellipsis Hiddenfee Teddiursa

10+ Year Old Account
    Always try to walk away from a fight. Fighting is economically inefficient in 99% of the cases.

my dads friend is a builder.

He's 6ft 7 and built like a brick shit house - you wouldn't mess with him. The one bit of advice he gave me that has always stuck with me:

'it takes a big man to walk away - it takes a bigger man to not look back.'
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

It's cowardice.
    But it may save your life

Not sure how people do not think its cowardice ?
    It definetly is. Is it the right thing to do ? Probably.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rezoacken View Post
    It's cowardice.
    But it may save your life

Not sure how people do not think its cowardice ?
    It definetly is. Is it the right thing to do ? Probably.
    I really do not see how it is cowardice.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterHamster View Post
    Why would anyone step down to the degenerates level?
    because letting them roam the streets like they own it is a higher level?