Thread: DK Leveling

DK Leveling

I have decided to level my DK as my alt. I miss playing him. Thing is, I hate to level so doing ti as fast as possible is a plus. I have 2 weapons to choose from. Swarming Cleaver, or upgraded Spear of Xuen, Dancing Steel on on both. Which would be better for him? also which spec would be better. 2 handed frost or unholy to go with the weapon?
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandragon View Post
    I have decided to level my DK as my alt. I miss playing him. Thing is, I hate to level so doing ti as fast as possible is a plus. I have 2 weapons to choose from. Swarming Cleaver, or upgraded Spear of Xuen, Dancing Steel on on both. Which would be better for him? also which spec would be better. 2 handed frost or unholy to go with the weapon?
    The items in question:

Swarming Cleaver of Ka'roz

Spear of Xuen

From what I'd have to guess, I'd recommend Cleaver, as you'll need all the Strength you can get, and the weapon dps just isn't worth it. On my Frost DK, I used Heroic Ghostheart well into level 90 before finally seeing Shin'ka drop, and I only used it because I was replacing a 410 weapon. Seeing how these two weapons are so close makes me recommend Ask Mr. Robot. That website should give you a definitive answer.
    Armories: Death Knight / Paladin
    Quote Originally Posted by Regennis View Post
    Stop dating strippers.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZRebellion View Post
    Kleinlax21 who is on your 'side' had no problem doing so.He also doesn't need to attack me in literally every sentence he types.

Unholy is king for leveling. I could solo anything, kill any amount of mobs, and have zero downtime.

I leveled as Frost with the Dark Succor glyph, had zero issues at all. Just kept pulling and two-shotting things.
    Zombie Vampire Werewolf

dk's got runeforging, and thus, you should enchant it with rune of the fallen crusader, use this over dancing steel.

Ok so I thank kleinlax21 for actually posting properly on subject. Everyone else, I got either spec suggestions, or enchant suggestion, but no one saying anything about which weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by Jartim00 View Post
    dk's got runeforging, and thus, you should enchant it with rune of the fallen crusader, use this over dancing steel.
    Yeah I remembered that a bit ago. Shows how long since I played him.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd go with the strength weapon with Fallen Crusader and frost. Frost just has more burst and is therefore (in my opinion) better for leveling.
    Edit: Get glyph of Dark Succor and you won't have any problems with downtime.
    Last edited by Temp name; 2013-01-22 at 09:16 AM.

Deleted
    For what it's worth, don't not consider blood for your levelling. The damage numbers are not significantly lower in DPS gear, and it gives you the power to make VAST aoe pulls, all those quests to kill 10 of one mob? if you don't suck at tagging, that's one pull.

It also gives you literally 0 down time and 0 risk of death, and you'll kill elites you run into with more ease.

I'd go for the strength weapon over the agi weapon, but at 85, the agility weapon is better than anything else you will have, you can just replace it at 48.

And as mentioned, go with fallen crusader, it's quantitively the best weapon enchant in the game.

If you choose to level in frost or unholy, i'd go for frost, personally, it does far more burst than unholy and is therefore far more capable of mushing the faces of your enemies in a single rune group. Then again, if you're death striking with dark succour, your awesome sauce will be significantly weakened, and it's value diminished by taking that much damage whilst you're waiting for another FU pair.

Dark Succor makes Death Strike free after killing a monster; and makes it heal 20% of your maximum health like Victory Rush - it's literally zero downsides for leveling or doing dailies as frost.
    Zombie Vampire Werewolf

Frost >> Blood >>>>>>> Unholy.
    The weapons will be quite close, but I dont think you can enchant a BoA weapon with a runeforge. Therefor the str one with fallen crusader wins.
    Remember to glyph dark succor for invincibility.

UH has ramp up time to be effective, where Frost it's just HB+DG -> OB/FS spam

Notable glyphs you want for leveling:
    Dark Succor for no downtime and "alright" free damage
    Death Grip CD reset on kill, makes leveling so much faster.

I chose DnD slow as my 3rd for leveling(DK is 87 atm), it's very good for AoE pulling and kiting mobs a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Akiie View Post
    For what it's worth, don't not consider blood for your levelling. The damage numbers are not significantly lower in DPS gear, and it gives you the power to make VAST aoe pulls, all those quests to kill 10 of one mob? if you don't suck at tagging, that's one pull.

It also gives you literally 0 down time and 0 risk of death, and you'll kill elites you run into with more ease.
    Can't argue with this; you basically have to go afk to die as Blood.

I'd still advise to go Frost for leveling, however, because whilst it's not quite as adept in mass pulling (talking 10+ mobs) as Blood is, it blows Blood out of the water on smaller packs which you definitely encounter more often than bigger packs. That said, Frost is just as immortal in practice as long as you keep your pulls to a moderate size.
    Vereesa formerly of Paragon and Depraved
    WCL

10+ Year Old Account
    Go for upgraded spear and Frost spec with Dark Succor glyph. The lack of strength on it compared to Swarming Cleaver is negligible when your weapon damage is through the roof and you end up one or two-shotting 90% of the mobs you fight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakpoth View Post
    I find it unreasonable to ask for other than obvious reasons, when the reason obviously is the obvious reason.
    Armory: https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/ch.../dalaran/ryuji

Song that's currently stuck in my head: pretty much anything from Dance With the Dead

Deleted
    Levelled mine as Blood, and as someone mentioned, its definately as viable as the others. I think I can count maybe two or three times I considered switching to frost for some burst, but for "Kill X of these for me quests" I cant fault it, doesnt matter the number its just one pull

If you go blood the mastery on the spear is more alluring than the str wep, to me. I levelled in a mix of tank and dps gear, I was just equipping any str plate with mastery and destroying everything.

Feels slow as hell if you only get one mob at a time though.

Go with Upgraded Xuen... and if possible use Fallen Crusader... Your weapon damage will be ftw against 800 str...

And ofc, go Frost, less downtime than Unholy... and more dmg than Blood. And you really don't need the heal from Blood... With Frost you get one ubber heal everytime you get something killed... So, whatever, it's the same... just better.
    Last edited by Stolberg; 2013-01-22 at 10:56 AM.

Ok. Thank you for the replies, I went with the Spear with Fallen enchant, and bloody hell at the speed. With that glyph there's no amount of mobs I can't pull in the jade forest. Obliterate just 1 shots everything and Death Strike just full heals me.