Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

[MoBo] Where put dese tings

Foolishly, I started moving my components into a new case right before work. Got home, finished everything except for the cable routing. I've found where to put every cable, and then I stumbled across these sons of green beans. I have an Intel H67 Express MoBo, currently looking for some kind of guide that'll hopefully tell me which of these goes where in that line of prongs, but I figured I'd ask you guys in case one of you knew.

Also, my front panel has 2 USB 3.0 slots but I'd like to turn them into USB 2.0 'cause I don't have USB 3.0 compatibility AFAIK. My MoBo has nowhere that I can insert this. What can I do?

---------- Post added 2013-01-21 at 11:08 PM ----------

Hrm, I thought I found it here but this seems to be for another motherboard with a similar name. Son of a bee sting this is the last bit of info I need before I'm done.
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

10+ Year Old Account
    Can you get another picture without the tag in the way of that second set of pins? Normally that stuff is labelled but I just want to make sure one isn't USB, and the other the front panel.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Can you get another picture without the tag in the way of that second set of pins? Normally that stuff is labelled but I just want to make sure one isn't USB, and the other the front panel.
    Will do, sit tight
    [/url]

10+ Year Old Account
    Most front panel pinouts are identical. That one is a little odd, but it ought to be the same.

Should be... on the top. from left to right

PW LED+ , PWR LED-, PWR SW, PWR SW
    HD LED+, HD LED-, RST SW, RST SW

There are 5 more pins right of that.. I dont think you need to use those, they were likely proprietary to the old case

10+ Year Old Account
    What Chazus said should be right. But for future reference (for when you build your next computer), your motherboard should have come with instructions that show where those go ^.^
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Schattenlied View Post
    What Chazus said should be right. But for future reference (for when you build your next computer), your motherboard should have come with instructions that show where those go ^.^
    Unfortunately, it's a prebuilt system (gateway DX480 or something?) so it doesn't have that =/

10+ Year Old Account
    Most front panel pinouts are identical. That one is a little odd, but it ought to be the same.

There are 5 more pins right of that.. I dont think you need to use those, they were likely proprietary to the old case
    IMgur is being complainicus about my images now, had to make it smaller.

The pins don't seem to have any meaningful labeling, just the small text that coats the board. I'll try your suggestion though.

---------- Post added 2013-01-21 at 11:25 PM ----------

Unfortunately, it's a prebuilt system (gateway DX480 or something?) so it doesn't have that =/
    Why they would decide to not toss in such useful information is beyond me. Oh wait, information is expensive, never mind!

---------- Post added 2013-01-21 at 11:25 PM ----------

This picture is upside down btw
    [/url]

10+ Year Old Account
    okay so, when I said "Top left" that was based off the previous image, so 'top left' is the bottom right of that set. I'm also curious what the pins are at the bottom of the new image.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, I've never bought a prebuilt system, I guess I assumed the manufacturers were smart enough to include that shit... I should have known better lol.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Okay, I plugged them in. Moment of truth incoming!

---------- Post added 2013-01-21 at 11:28 PM ----------

I"ll post a full picture of that corner of the board in a second before I try to boot it up
    [/url]

Find the instruction manual for your motherboard, look on the manufacter's website if it didn't come with one. It will have a diagram indicating which lead goes to what. As far as I know, USB 3.0 is backward compatible, so you should be able to plug any USB 2.0 device into your 3.0 ports and have them work just fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bormes View Post
    Find the instruction manual for your motherboard, look on the manufacter's website if it didn't come with one. It will have a diagram indicating which lead goes to what. As far as I know, USB 3.0 is backward compatible, so you should be able to plug any USB 2.0 device into your 3.0 ports and have them work just fine.
    Yeah, but I'd be plugging a mouse for example into a USB 3.0 port that isn't connected to anything. There's nowhere on my mobo for me to put the other end of the 3.0 wire.

Also, here's the bottom right of my mobo, right side up this time. Those pins on top were empty when I was disconnecting parts, along with the weird pins in the middle.
    [/url]

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Honestly though, the only one he NEEDS to plug in really is PWR SW.

---------- Post added 2013-01-22 at 04:37 AM ----------

Also, I doubt your motherboard has an internal header for the USB 3.0 plug. =/ You're likely going to have to be stuck without them.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Also, I doubt your motherboard has an internal header for the USB 3.0 plug. =/ You're likely going to have to be stuck without them.
    That's what I figured, and that's no big deal. Is there some kind of 3.0 to 2.0 adapter that could be an option though? I've seen Paul from Newegg talk about pass-through cables, but I don't think those server the correct purpose here.
    [/url]

10+ Year Old Account
    Theoretically you could, since USB3.0 is pretty much just USB2.0 + more pins.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...9SIA1JM0FN1003

That's also an option if you absolutely want it on the front.

Or this http://www.moddiy.com/products/Inter...Converter.html
    Last edited by chazus; 2013-01-22 at 04:56 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    ya if you read your mobo's manual. it should have a picture diagram of where to put those slots. ironically the easiest part to put in was my beep code device but was the hardest for me to install as it was left open ended and i thought it had to be plugged into something else. Good luck!

10+ Year Old Account
    Theoretically you could, since USB3.0 is pretty much just USB2.0 + more pins.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...9SIA1JM0FN1003

That's also an option if you absolutely want it on the front.

Or this http://www.moddiy.com/products/Inter...Converter.html
    So it's possible, ok. I've been sitting here at my coffee table on my shitty laptop reading computer info for so long with my toes at a 90 degree angle that I actually just got a muscle spasm in ly left foot and couldn't bend my toes back. I'm going to continue with sticking this thing together, will post pics in 5-15 minutes.
    [/url]

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MonsieuRoberts View Post
    So it's possible, ok. I've been sitting here at my coffee table on my shitty laptop reading computer info for so long with my toes at a 90 degree angle that I actually just got a muscle spasm in ly left foot and couldn't bend my toes back. I'm going to continue with sticking this thing together, will post pics in 5-15 minutes.
    Yes, 3.0 usb ports are backwards compatible with 2.0 and 1.0. you will be absolutely fine

10+ Year Old Account
    Here's some pics right before I plug this thing in and start it up. Hope you enjoy grainy potato camera quality!

Cable management done...better than Gateway. Far from perfect but good enough to be proud of. LOOK AT ALL THE SPACE IN THIS CASE!

Here's the new case filled beside the gutted old case.

My new case came with several of these massive screws. What would they be used for, like a front panel or heatsinks or something?

Also, I don't know why, but I had this cable plugged into my PSU. None of the slots were connected to anything...I don't know how it got in there. I didn't end up needing it here either, but I'm just curious as to what I'd use it for.

---------- Post added 2013-01-22 at 12:24 AM ----------

Omg it started up

---------- Post added 2013-01-22 at 12:25 AM ----------

Computer is working fine except for the exhause fan. IT spun at first, the slowly came to a halt and now it's not spinning at all. I poked it and it started to spin, but it's slow!
    [/url]

10+ Year Old Account
    What do you have the exhaust fan (I'm assuming the top left, behind the cpu) plugged into, exactly?

As for that 4 pin, thats for older hard drives and fans and not much else. If your PSU is modular, you dont need it.