Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    if i where you i would report the gm. even if he has cancer. its his decision to tell you. and 99,99% of the people tell stupid in random groups. because from your story(every story has 2 side) they harrested you and they used bad language. and that you want your warning removed. since saying lol to some1 asked for a item since he has cancer is no where near harresment. and if he want to be a special snowflake with his cancer let him go to the last wish foundation he might get a mount where he can ride the back of garrosh:P

Deleted
    I'm not sure it was the fact that I Lol'ed that annoyed them so much as when I said "that's a bit low isn't it" god knows if they were just very dedicated trolls or he really did have cancer, I can't imagine anybody getting so worked up if they didn't.

Deleted
    I'd say you can rest easy.

Even if you did hurt the guy by saying "LOL" (assuming he did/does have cancer), him using his illness as an excuse to get gear off someone through sympathy isn't justified in the slightest which, in my books, gives him no right to be offended.

Naturally I'd be somewhat wary, but in this context I wouldn't have believed he actually had cancer either because I like to assume that people don't use a serious illness as an excuse to get items from sympathy. If he does have cancer and expects to be treated with the up-most respect and dignity then he shouldn't be exploiting people like that.

In fact, I still don't believe it. It just sounds like his guildies wanted their groups DPS to get a boost.

Either way, I wouldn't worry about it. Ignore the 2 people who reported you and move on. With any luck, you won't have to interact with them again in a raid situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Combooticus View Post
    You did nothing wrong imo

But the GMs have to act on any form of harrassment

Im betting the GM prolly thought this was petty reason why you only got a warning

To the guy who said oh i have cancer gief me epiks well im betting they are prolly Bullshiting and if they are then i hope karma bites them in the ass
    but warning are noted by blizzard. and lets be honest its not harresment. they harrest him. a other gm should remove his warning imo

10+ Year Old Account
    If this is the sort of "warning" that remains on your account afterwards, and you're really that upset about it, I'd see if you can speak to a GM and ask that the warning be removed. Tell them to read through the chat logs and complain about the rogue and the paladin harassing you and using "bad language" in turn.

I don't think it's worth getting worked up over if it's not a permanent warning, but if it is and I were in your shoes, I'd probably politely cause a huge fuss just out of principle.

You might not have screenshots, but the GMs do have chat logs. If those players want to troll that hard, they deserve their karma when you turn it around on them.

Deleted
    im dying of old age (as we all are) Give me gear!

That player is a scumbag regardless of whether he has cancer or not. Even if he has it, to use it as an excuse to get gear is so incredibly shameful. He is the only person here trivializing cancer.
    As far as the GM is concerned, I would have to imagine the trash that reported you wouldn't give an honest account to the GM. I would have just asked the GM to look at the chat logs from that time frame so he can see for himself that you misinterpreted what he said. As it should be obvious to them that it's impossible to tell whether a person is being serious over the internet. But it is in the past now. I wouldn't worry about it. People are idiots and there is always the chance it happens again, but there is no use worrying over what you can't control.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slummish View Post
    I don't get it. I've gone AFK a million times to blow my bf so he'd get off my back and let me raid. What's the problem here? People have sex...

Quote Originally Posted by Vaelorian View Post
    Assuming that the OP speaks the truth:
    You people who posted before in this thread: you do not question AT ALL that the guy had cancer? Seriously whenever have you seen a situation like this? "Dude give it to me cause I have cancer."
    It doesn't matter in the slightest if OP doesn't actually know the person. Truth or lie blizzard can't assume he's lying, and some people really will try to use anything for their gain.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaelorian View Post
    I would react like: "Dude that just means that I should get every piece of loot over you cause you're not going to be needing it for long anyway"
    Don't worry you aren't the only one to have thought this

*Disclaimer* I have loss friends and family to cancer and it does suck but this was still one of my first thoughts.

Deleted
    I got banned for two days for racism. Yeah, racism against animals.

So why shouldnt i belivie you? Call Blizzard, thats what i did. Some GMs are retarded.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tell the GM to check the chat logs.. If what you said is true then there is NO way you would've recieved a warning.

You should not have continued your second response beyond "I'm sorry, I thought it was a joke". Up to that point, you were fully reasonable. "Give me gear, I have cancer"? Yeah right. But the comment about it being low, while possibly holding some truth to it, was still a low blow, and I can understand why they got pissed by it.
    Thankfully, you salvaged what you could from the situation afterwards, but insulting people is insulting people, even if you're technically on the right. And someone down on their luck, suffering form cancer for example, will always have the majority sympathy with them. Take it as a learning experience on how to deal with volatile situations, and move on.

15+ Year Old Account
    Warning for saying lol? o: Three reports? Are you sure that was all you said?

My gold making blog
    Your journey towards the gold cap!

Quote Originally Posted by Desparatus View Post
    I'd say you can rest easy.

Even if you did hurt the guy by saying "LOL" (assuming he did/does have cancer), him using his illness as an excuse to get gear off someone through sympathy isn't justified in the slightest which, in my books, gives him no right to be offended.

Naturally I'd be somewhat wary, but in this context I wouldn't have believed he actually had cancer either because I like to assume that people don't use a serious illness as an excuse to get items from sympathy. If he does have cancer and expects to be treated with the up-most respect and dignity then he shouldn't be exploiting people like that.

In fact, I still don't believe it. It just sounds like his guildies wanted their groups DPS to get a boost.

Either way, I wouldn't worry about it. Ignore the 2 people who reported you and move on. With any luck, you won't have to interact with them again in a raid situation.
    till they come on a alt or someting. never understand why blizzard never got to invent ignore battle.net account option

Deleted
    In this kind of case i would like to reply "so you are dying soon anyway so you don't need gear" but better to stay silent to not get reported.

I think you should of told the GM to fuck him/herself.

I had a dear friend pass last year due to Leukemia so I can relate to the feelings they had being hurt, and I myself would of apologized about making an lol comment in regards to the kid/adult saying he had Cancer.

But for damn sure I would of told the Gm to fuck him/herself.

If your banter with the individuals went beyond simple, " stfu!... stop being stupid!... wtf would anyone use Cancer as an excuse?" ( as you put ) without any direct threats to their livelihood, then there is no Harassment, and the use of colorful language such as, " Go fuck yourself, Shut the fuck up, Fuck you and your mother, or just plain Jane, Fuck you you fucking fuck" I can't see getting banned for, since they have the language filter which screens that, which is on by default, and must be turned off to be read correctly.

So yeah, I would of told the Gm to fuck him/herself If all I did was use colorful language between the banter of hurt feelings, especially after an apology was made.

Quote Originally Posted by frequency View Post
    Don't worry you aren't the only one to have thought this

*Disclaimer* I have loss friends and family to cancer and it does suck but this was still one of my first thoughts.
    Thanks a feel a bit better about myself now.

Deleted
    Really not sure how "lol" is harassment, be it at the apparent joke which turned out to be serious (this in itself is hilarious), or at the amusing notion of milking a lethal affliction for pixels. "I have debilitating disease and am going to tell you all about it" does seem closer to harassment to me, but ymmv. Either way, rogue is an idiot, GM is an idiot, appeal if it matters, forget it if it doesn't.

I'm pretty sure you gave a highly sanitised version of events, but hey, what can be done.

Edit: As unpopular as I'm sure it is, I had thought exactly the same as Skeletroll.

I think the warning has to happen just because they are following protocol, however, I don't agree with it at all. There is so much crap said everyday in general chat, trade chat and any number of instances that is far worse than your lol that it makes your reaction to a comment seem extremely insignificant. I used to be on a low pop server and it seemed the purpose of the server was to see who could troll the best. Either way, keep your chin up, don't let it get to you and move on as was mentioned in this thread already, the only thing to take from this is to learn from past mistakes. Personally I say little to nothing unless a question is directed at me, I then answer it very directly and choose my words carefully as there are so many idiots out there looking for any excuse to report you.

Deleted
    why shaman healer rolled on it in first place? if it was agi fist weapon (asuming ot was spiritbinder boss).. ms>os or they both wanted it for trans?

anyways, if i hearded something like that, i would be like lol wtf too because i would understant it as some sick joke not thinking that someone who actually has cancer would say that anyways... we have deaf guildmember and he never said give it to me im deaf