Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kivipää View Post
    You should not have continued your second response beyond "I'm sorry, I thought it was a joke". Up to that point, you were fully reasonable. "Give me gear, I have cancer"? Yeah right. But the comment about it being low, while possibly holding some truth to it, was still a low blow, and I can understand why they got pissed by it.
    Thankfully, you salvaged what you could from the situation afterwards, but insulting people is insulting people, even if you're technically on the right. And someone down on their luck, suffering form cancer for example, will always have the majority sympathy with them. Take it as a learning experience on how to deal with volatile situations, and move on.
    sorry but when can't i say. i thought it was a joke? because if that is offensive to some people then everyting you say will be offensive. because it was nowhere near offensive

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    If he is going to die soon then why does he need gear?
    Paladin Bash has spoken.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think a lol was not a bad reaction even. I probably would have reacted in a similar way/ Come on, someone trying to get gear by using his sickness? I have come across less ridiculous things in this game and laughed about it.
    Reminded me of a situation a few years ago where I used the handicapped toilet because the regular ones were all occupied and I really needed/wanted to go, so I did.
    When I walked out of the toilet this guy in a wheelchair rode up to me and told me I shouldn/t/couldn't use that bathroom because it was for handicapped. I also laughed that moment, not to make fun of him but at the fact that this guy didn't even realize how silly he was.
    Then I noticed he was serious about it and I told him I did not feel sorry and would do it again if needed. Those toilets are in place for handicapped because they are built in a way that improves usage for them, that doesn't mean the non-handicapped aren't allowde to use them? Seriously, handicapped people have the same bladder control as non-handicapped, they can hold it for a few minutes. Someone i know who is handicapped and I told him the story and he felt ashamed for that guy even...
    This is a similar absurdity... even more actually. If someone walked up to you and said, 'Gimme the content of your wallet, I have cancer and it would make me happy', most of us would laugh in real life too....

Even if he has cancer, he is acting like a jerk....

Total bullshit.

There is no way for the Game Master to verify if the story is true, and 99.9999999999999% of all cases where someone says something like that it is total bullshit. I've seen them all!

"I've been in the army for X years, and I could kill you tomorrow morning!"

"I've survived brain cancer, and all I get in this damn game is fucking shit! Give me that upgrade or I am leaving the guild!"

"I'm heavily pregnant, and if you don't give me this upgrade I might go into labour / I'll stab my baby to death in the womb!"

What people say they are in a game, is never what they truly are in real life. Fact!

10+ Year Old Account
    assuming the story is true.....
    1. Why would a healer get an off spec item over a dps for main spec? Sounds like a very weird loot contribution system to me.
    2. How can someone play a RL card, even more so the extreme of having cancer, to gain a loot advantage? That's morbid. "Pity me pretty please".. disgusting.
    3. I could not understand how one would get a warning for nothing more than a LOL.

Somehow I put the story in doubt. Too many things make no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Vellerix View Post
    I suppose you're right, I shouldn't have loled, I just never assumed in a million years anybody would ever use that as an excuse for gear, I mean, I still don't know now if it's true, I'm begining to think it might be though if someone would go to such lengths to see action taken against me :\
    If somebody is that petty and think they are entitled because they are sick they have poor morals and are not kind people.
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/@Nateanderthal

Ok so this is how it went down

I was in heroic Mogu'shan palace as the tank yesterday, everything was going smoothly and everybody seemed to be getting along until the second to last boss (for the life of me I can't remember his name)

The fist weapon dropped from him, a rogue and the shaman healer rolled on it, the shaman won, and the rogue said the following

"noooo pls dude give it to me, I have cancer and It would make me happy!"

Naturally I thought it was a joke and said "LOL" in chat, I didn't mean anything by it, just a simple acknowledgement of what I thought was a joke, because, you know, who actually uses cancer as an excuse to get items.

Worst mistake I ever made apparently, all of a sudden the paladin in the group, who I might point out was from the same server and guild, says to me in a whisper something along the lines of "it's true, it's not funny you shouldn't make fun of him"

To which i replied

"I'm sorry but I thought it was a joke, if it's not then why is he using cancer as an excuse to get gear, that's a bit low isn't it?"

This seemed to enrage both of them, they then started spouting stuff like "shut your mouth you don't know what it's like to live with cancer" and "you should be banned I report you man"

By this point I was fairly certain I was simply being trolled, so I carried on with the instance and said "Look I didn't come here for an argument, so I'm going to just ignore you both from this point"

We were on the last boss anyway so I just ignored all their threats and pulled the boss, we killed him and I thought it was all over, I logged out and thought nothing of it.

I log in this morning and do my daily's, while I'm doing them, I get the notification that a GM wants to speak to me, slightly confused I click the chat box, and what comes next kind of anoyed me, the guy tells me that I've had 3 reports to my name for harrasment and bad language, apparently one of the guys had even gone so far as to contact a GM directly to talk about it, I didn't get banned but recieved a warning, he told me "to be more mindful and respecful of those around me and if I was caught with the same offense again I would have a temporary ban"

Kind of wish I had screen shotted all this now, but at the time I was so shocked (I've never been reported for anything before) I just wasn't thinking about that.

What do you guys think? Was I in the wrong? Personally I think I didn't do anything and that this is a bit of a bullshit warning.
    I find this oddly comical considering that there are players who make a living off of harrassing other players and guilds and do so with impunity.

As to your response, the player who suposedly had cancer really should not use his/her dissability as a means to garner gear. I have the utmost sympathy that they have this deadly disease, however it where do you draw the line? "I would be really happy if you gave me that dagger, as I have cancer"? "I would be really happy if you gave me that dagger, as I am missing a finger"? "I would be really happy if you give me that dagger, as I have really bad gas"?

Really. Enjoy the game. Don't think of lame excuses to guild people into providing for you over and above your fair chance.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

10+ Year Old Account
    there are logs they "could" look at in these situations, if what you said was as harmless as claimed, simply reading those logs by the GM would settle the issue.

the fact that it got to the point a GM actually contacted you means 1 of 2 things; either a) it was a lazy mod, who didnt check the logs. or b) the encounter was much harsher than described.

edit: from personal experience, i also know that if the mod is interested enough in the subject, he can review the personal and guild communications of both parties to find out if/where any fraud took place.
    Last edited by Bad Ashe; 2013-01-22 at 03:25 PM.

Deleted
    I'm not sure it was the fact that I Lol'ed that annoyed them so much as when I said "that's a bit low isn't it" god knows if they were just very dedicated trolls or he really did have cancer, I can't imagine anybody getting so worked up if they didn't.
    I don't think the "lol" was too much. You said you were getting along just fine, and sometimes people make jokes just like what he said. He could've seen that coming, and if not, I think your apology was enough. Cancer or not, I guess he was just upset that he didn't win the item. Maybe you were unlucky with the GM, or maybe he was on your side but couldn't do anything else - just don't let it get to you. Assuming that you're telling us the truth, you act like a normal person.

story cant be true as there wouldnt even have been a warning.

besides there is absoluteley no proof that he actually HAS cancer. I 'd believe everything i hear on the web i would be either bankrupt or dead already.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciqa View Post
    why shaman healer rolled on it in first place? if it was agi fist weapon (asuming ot was spiritbinder boss).. ms>os or they both wanted it for trans?

anyways, if i hearded something like that, i would be like lol wtf too because i would understant it as some sick joke not thinking that someone who actually has cancer would say that anyways... we have deaf guildmember and he never said give it to me im deaf
    Probably because it's lfd being Mogu'shan Palace, so the loot can be needed by those that can use it

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ripponesan View Post
    story cant be true as there wouldnt even have been a warning.

besides there is absoluteley no proof that he actually HAS cancer. I 'd believe everything i hear on the web i would be either bankrupt or dead already.
    Well I can't give you much proof besides my word, I too find it ludicrous that there was a warning, I'm toying with the notion that maybe the GM felt pressured to do something as he didn't want to risk offending someone who potentially may have had cancer? I dunno I'm looking for any explanation I can right now.

So I was reading this and it really bothered me (if it's true). Why? Because.... wait for it... I do, in fact, have cancer. I have been doing treatments for a month now and my outlook is excellent. I feel normal other than the days I have my treatments. Now, I also play WoW. I just wanted to state I am not looking for sympathy or anything else, I just wanted to give an actual patient perspective on this. So here we go.... As a cancer patient what will make me fill better is stopping my treatments and getting a clean bill of health from my doctor. My feeling good about anything doesn't depend on ANYTHING in this game. If you are using your disease to guilt people into giving you gear that is utter bs. If this guy is telling the TRUTH, then he was in fact the victim of harassment. I would have LOLd about the situation myself and not thought a thing about it. It's ridiculous.

The only thing my cancer does for me in game is give me a reason to miss raid or not be available to fill in for someone because I have a treatment the next day or just feel like crap in general from my last treatment. So for all you freaks out there using this to get gear, you should be ashamed of yourself.

Ok so this is how it went down

I was in heroic Mogu'shan palace as the tank yesterday, everything was going smoothly and everybody seemed to be getting along until the second to last boss (for the life of me I can't remember his name)

The fist weapon dropped from him, a rogue and the shaman healer rolled on it, the shaman won, and the rogue said the following

"noooo pls dude give it to me, I have cancer and It would make me happy!"

Naturally I thought it was a joke and said "LOL" in chat, I didn't mean anything by it, just a simple acknowledgement of what I thought was a joke, because, you know, who actually uses cancer as an excuse to get items.

Worst mistake I ever made apparently, all of a sudden the paladin in the group, who I might point out was from the same server and guild, says to me in a whisper something along the lines of "it's true, it's not funny you shouldn't make fun of him"

To which i replied

"I'm sorry but I thought it was a joke, if it's not then why is he using cancer as an excuse to get gear, that's a bit low isn't it?"

This seemed to enrage both of them, they then started spouting stuff like "shut your mouth you don't know what it's like to live with cancer" and "you should be banned I report you man"

By this point I was fairly certain I was simply being trolled, so I carried on with the instance and said "Look I didn't come here for an argument, so I'm going to just ignore you both from this point"

We were on the last boss anyway so I just ignored all their threats and pulled the boss, we killed him and I thought it was all over, I logged out and thought nothing of it.

I log in this morning and do my daily's, while I'm doing them, I get the notification that a GM wants to speak to me, slightly confused I click the chat box, and what comes next kind of anoyed me, the guy tells me that I've had 3 reports to my name for harrasment and bad language, apparently one of the guys had even gone so far as to contact a GM directly to talk about it, I didn't get banned but recieved a warning, he told me "to be more mindful and respecful of those around me and if I was caught with the same offense again I would have a temporary ban"

Kind of wish I had screen shotted all this now, but at the time I was so shocked (I've never been reported for anything before) I just wasn't thinking about that.

What do you guys think? Was I in the wrong? Personally I think I didn't do anything and that this is a bit of a bullshit warning.

EDIT: After reading some replied, I think I'm going to try to appeal this warning as I don't want any kind of black mark on my account, I think I'll request that they re- read (if they read it in the first place) The chat log and try to point out how ridiculous this is. I'll update here if anything changes.
    You're being oversensitive about a guy being oversensitive over a joke...

Quote Originally Posted by loki504 View Post
    sorry but when can't i say. i thought it was a joke? because if that is offensive to some people then everyting you say will be offensive. because it was nowhere near offensive
    I'm sorry, but i think you have a bit of comprehension problem here. "I'm sorry but I though it was a joke" was well and appropriate. "Why use cancer to get gear, isn't that low?" was not.

Capiche?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RandomGamer View Post
    You're being oversensitive about a guy being oversensitive over a joke...
    I'm more worried about the state of my so far completely clean account than the actual situation itself.

10+ Year Old Account
    There is nothing wrong too use some dark humor from time too time.

Oh no guys my house is gona explode can i take all the loot that drops LOL.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    I would be pissed, at both the GM justifying it as well as the guy trying to use cancer to get loot.

Do I feel sorry that he has cancer? Maybe. Will I give him loot because of cancer? Fuck no.

Don't worry at least if he is not lying he wouldn't be bothering you much longer.

I don't care anymore either if the story is really the way it happend and the OP wasn't way more aggressive later on or not.

You just cannot say you have cancer to obtain gear from someone. It is about the lowest of the lowest comment I have ever heard in a WoW enviroment.

The one right below it would be something I heard in Real Life. I work as a banker. There was this woman who was making a scene at the bank where you can withdraw money etc. So I took her into my officer to hear what all the fuss was about. Appearantly she was waiting for ther wellfare to come in. But her wellfare wasn't in yet. It would come like the next working day, which would be monday. So sure that sucks but something a bank doesn't have it cannot give. And well talking about "giving her something to make it through the weekend" wasn't an option really. Looking at the way she spent her money (gambling and she just booked a holiday aswell). She told me to get her something because it was the banks fault for her not having enough money to buy food for her children!!!??!??

I told her to get the fuck out of my office.

---------- Post added 2013-01-22 at 04:29 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Carolenethil View Post
    So I was reading this and it really bothered me (if it's true). Why? Because.... wait for it... I do, in fact, have cancer. I have been doing treatments for a month now and my outlook is excellent. I feel normal other than the days I have my treatments. Now, I also play WoW. I just wanted to state I am not looking for sympathy or anything else, I just wanted to give an actual patient perspective on this. So here we go.... As a cancer patient what will make me fill better is stopping my treatments and getting a clean bill of health from my doctor. My feeling good about anything doesn't depend on ANYTHING in this game. If you are using your disease to guilt people into giving you gear that is utter bs. If this guy is telling the TRUTH, then he was in fact the victim of harassment. I would have LOLd about the situation myself and not thought a thing about it. It's ridiculous.

The only thing my cancer does for me in game is give me a reason to miss raid or not be available to fill in for someone because I have a treatment the next day or just feel like crap in general from my last treatment. So for all you freaks out there using this to get gear, you should be ashamed of yourself.
    Quote for truth!
    I hope you end up beating it mate.

I'm more worried about the state of my so far completely clean account than the actual situation itself.
    I wouldn't worry about it, I have a friend to this day who still bots on his main account and Blizz don't give 2 shits.
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/@Nateanderthal