Page 1 of 10
... LastLast
    Deleted

Bit miffed about a warning I got from a GM

Ok so this is how it went down

I was in heroic Mogu'shan palace as the tank yesterday, everything was going smoothly and everybody seemed to be getting along until the second to last boss (for the life of me I can't remember his name)

The fist weapon dropped from him, a rogue and the shaman healer rolled on it, the shaman won, and the rogue said the following

"noooo pls dude give it to me, I have cancer and It would make me happy!"

Naturally I thought it was a joke and said "LOL" in chat, I didn't mean anything by it, just a simple acknowledgement of what I thought was a joke, because, you know, who actually uses cancer as an excuse to get items.

Worst mistake I ever made apparently, all of a sudden the paladin in the group, who I might point out was from the same server and guild, says to me in a whisper something along the lines of "it's true, it's not funny you shouldn't make fun of him"

To which i replied

"I'm sorry but I thought it was a joke, if it's not then why is he using cancer as an excuse to get gear, that's a bit low isn't it?"

This seemed to enrage both of them, they then started spouting stuff like "shut your mouth you don't know what it's like to live with cancer" and "you should be banned I report you man"

By this point I was fairly certain I was simply being trolled, so I carried on with the instance and said "Look I didn't come here for an argument, so I'm going to just ignore you both from this point"

We were on the last boss anyway so I just ignored all their threats and pulled the boss, we killed him and I thought it was all over, I logged out and thought nothing of it.

I log in this morning and do my daily's, while I'm doing them, I get the notification that a GM wants to speak to me, slightly confused I click the chat box, and what comes next kind of anoyed me, the guy tells me that I've had 3 reports to my name for harrasment and bad language, apparently one of the guys had even gone so far as to contact a GM directly to talk about it, I didn't get banned but recieved a warning, he told me "to be more mindful and respecful of those around me and if I was caught with the same offense again I would have a temporary ban"

Kind of wish I had screen shotted all this now, but at the time I was so shocked (I've never been reported for anything before) I just wasn't thinking about that.

What do you guys think? Was I in the wrong? Personally I think I didn't do anything and that this is a bit of a bullshit warning.

EDIT: After reading some replied, I think I'm going to try to appeal this warning as I don't want any kind of black mark on my account, I think I'll request that they re- read (if they read it in the first place) The chat log and try to point out how ridiculous this is. I'll update here if anything changes.

EDIT 2: Ok, so it seems my account wasn't actioned over this, it was simply a verbal warning given to me by the GM, or an "education" if you will, it wasn't made very clear to me when he was talking to me whether I was in actual trouble or not though. Just a miscommunication on his part, and me not being aware how warnings ect. work.
    Last edited by mmoc2aff718493; 2013-01-23 at 08:09 AM.

I think a lol (Assuming your story is sound) is a bad reaction but not worthy of a warning or to be held against you. It does seem unrealistic that someone would use it as a reason to receive loot. If you apologized I really don't see the big fuss given how you stated it.

I don't think you were right to laugh, though. It's always best not to assume.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    I think a lol (Assuming your story is sound) is a bad reaction but not worthy of a warning or to be held against you. It does seem unrealistic that someone would use it as a reason to receive loot. If you apologized I really don't see the big fuss given how you stated it.

I don't think you were right to laugh, though. It's always best not to assume.
    I suppose you're right, I shouldn't have loled, I just never assumed in a million years anybody would ever use that as an excuse for gear, I mean, I still don't know now if it's true, I'm begining to think it might be though if someone would go to such lengths to see action taken against me :\

ussually iam all on blizz's side but this is quite some bull. especially when you have them shrugging at harassment.

but yeah, less a "lol" cause it isnt funny either way even as a joke. and more a "excuse me what?!"

I don't think you were really in the wrong from what you have told us, the thing is you dont know these other people behind their pc screens, so what may have seemed like trolling to you, might have actually had a basis for truth, and while your LOL may not have intended offense, people are people and can and will take offense, Myself I probably wouldn't have said anything in chat, but whispered the guy and politely told him, that the roll was fair and that was the end of it, and not mentioned anything about the *cancer* comment.

Then if they proceeded to inundate you with abuse, put them on ignore and if the abuse continued, report them.

Thats really it imo.

So while you may feel shocked at the GM response, they are just doing their job, because they recieved a report from a player that felt like they had been harrassed or hard done to.

I wouldn't take it personal at all, Just shrug it off and move on, you'll only make yourself feel worse by dwelling on it Goodluck^

Deleted
    Well, from your PoV, it is absolutely ridiculous they reported you.
    You could also use the argument of the little amount of players that do have cancer vs. the huge amount of 'people' who use the word for cursing and to get 'their' gear.

However, I can understand how the guy must feel with people lolling at his disease.
    But it's kinda retarded he reacted that way too, like he doesn't expect these games to have trolls or people who don't believe.

And I find it low that he uses his disease to get gear from people. I would personally feel bad to abuse people's pity to get what i want if they don't want to.
    Last edited by mmoc1cb88fe73b; 2013-01-22 at 02:57 PM.

No, people that have these kinds of diseases need to understand it is just not the standard for people, and they wont mean offense. Yes, it massively sucks for the people that have them, but you cant expect everyone you encounter to somehow know this and be delicate about it.

Deleted
    So we got your version , now we need theirs and the truth.

But if , may be this 1 in a million chance , you are saying all the truth.. then i guess you are not in the wrong.

People easily get exaggerately defensive whenever they are ill.. making them believe that they are right whatever happens... which is wrong.

A dying person by cancer has no more right than anyone else playing game , even the healtiest of the healty people , to get stuff.
    Last edited by mmoce0e8933f3d; 2013-01-22 at 02:57 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ridiculous.

Using your cancer as a means to get gear? I should tell everyone how I'm "dying" of HIV in randoms and see just how much gear I get. Just ridiculous. I'm shocked that the GM warned you, too, since they have access to all logs and would have seen exactly how that went down. That was a douche move by that rogue.

Take what dancing turkey said to heart. not worth the agrravation of dwelling on it

I would have had the same kind of reaction. You shouldn't bow to someone's demands because they invoke a dread word such as "cancer", especially not on the Internet where you can make up anything you want. Don't ill and disabled people generally frown on pity and special treatments motivated by it anyway ?

Deleted
    If what you say is true I think you shouldn't even have been warned. Just because someone has cancer it doesn't mean they should get or beg to get loot.

Saying "LOL", in my opinion should never be seen as an offense. If you would actually insult someone, sure but just because someone has whichever disease it doesn't excuse them of using their illness for whichever goal.

You did nothing wrong imo

But the GMs have to act on any form of harrassment

Im betting the GM prolly thought this was petty reason why you only got a warning

To the guy who said oh i have cancer gief me epiks well im betting they are prolly Bullshiting and if they are then i hope karma bites them in the ass

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I would've asked the GM to read through the chat logs, because "if" what you say is true, then there is no reason you should get a warning IMO, i've seen huge amounts of people try and spout bull about having cancer and such, and the amount that apparently are Dyslexic is crazy, Plus even if he did have cancer, he has no more claim over items anyway, plus, depending on his cancer, probably won't get long term use of it anyway lol

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Justforthis123 View Post
    So we got your version , now we need theirs and the truth.

But if , may be this 1 in a million chance , you are saying all the truth.. then i guess you are not in the wrong.

People easily get exaggerately defensive whenever they are ill.. making them believe that they are right whatever happens... which is wrong.

A dying person by cancer has no more right than anyone else playing game , even the healtiest of the healty people , to get stuff.
    Well I completely understand why you might doubt my story, I'm still having trouble believing it myself, there's not a whole lot else I can say though, I wrote down everything that happened in the order it happened, I'm not the sort of person to make this stuff up, although I can't prove that either, meh, take it or leave it I suppose :P

10+ Year Old Account
    If you're being 100% truthful, this is complete bullshit. What's next? "Please give me that item, I have kidney stones!" This is garbage. No one should be allowed to guilt trip someone with this kind of thing. I have this sneaking suspicion that maybe you left out a choice word or two that you may have said to them. I can't believe a GM would act like this if you didn't at least tell them to fuck off or something, lol!
    EverQuest, City of Heroes, Star Wars Galaxies, EverQuest II, World of Warcraft, Guild Wars, Star Wars TOR, Guild Wars 2, Rift.

10+ Year Old Account
    While you shouldn't of loled about it. Using Cancer to get gear seems pretty low and sad that people resort to. I'd probably get mad at said Cancerous person. It sucks people have it, but using it to get ahead in life or a piece of gear? Yeah I don't think it's the cancer that is the problem here.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Pretending your story is true and the details accurate, I would have LOL'd too. I can't imagine anyone in a dungeon run saying "I have cancer, let me have loot" and it being true. The community is full of douchebags, if people thought for one sec that they could sucker people into giving them loot\gold\mounts\anything by pretending to have a sickness, that's all we would see in a dungeons and LFR. This sounds exactly like something those people would do as the new form of trolling. And sure, why not have a buddy on the same server play along with you. In fact, now that you've posted it here, I suspect I'll start seeing it used over the next couple of weeks\month

If they are legitimately sick, I would think they would have to know that not many people are going to believe it. No reason to nerd rage when some stranger doesn't believe it. They can say they are serious and it's still up to each person to choose to believe it or not. Sure if they claim they are serious, then you can say "if true, then I didn't mean the LOL, I thought you were just playing" and all should be forgiven.
    Last edited by Mad_Murdock; 2013-01-22 at 03:04 PM.

Deleted
    i haev teh cancurz gief me all ur epix.

No.
    The amount of times people in dungeons have said:
    "I have aids/cancer/some debilitating sickness, give me x" is ridiculous.

It's a troll, appeal it. Asap.

Assuming that the OP speaks the truth:
    You people who posted before in this thread: you do not question AT ALL that the guy had cancer? Seriously whenever have you seen a situation like this? "Dude give it to me cause I have cancer."

Thats even worse then all those army guys feeling they are entitled to special things in WoW. (no I am not from America and yes I do believe people in the army deserve some benefits but not something in a videogame)

I think you just ran into a couple of guys who were just trolling you and were very serious about trolling.

I would react like: "Dude that just means that I should get every piece of loot over you cause you're not going to be needing it for long anyway"

Just to make myself clear - that above comment would be a reaction in anger, cause I would very much be angry. I lost a lot (3+) people close to me to cancer. I know what it does and how it is.

And only a greedy troll would and could use such a reason to get ahead in the game...